001

The Side Effects

I'm a side effect, but I guess that everyone's a side effect of something. Sometimes, I think that life isn't fair and that the big man upstairs is just playing with all of us. Sometimes I know that life isn't fair and that some people have it better than others, but for once I want it to be better for myself. All I want to do is to live a little. For one day, be a normal child. For once, I want to stand on my own two feet but I know that I can't. Life just .

"Honey, you know it's time to come down!" My mum yells from downstairs. I roll my eyes in an exasperated manner and I'm pretty sure she can almost see me do so. "Don't you dare roll your eyes, I can see you with my eyes, miss!" I laugh. You know, one of those laughs that come from deep inside what's it called... my esophagus or something?

"I'm coming!" I yell back in return. But of course I would be, I mean it's not like I have a choice. And I wonder how I've managed to keep the saracasm dripping from my voice. What the actual heck, Eunji. My eyes scan my messy room, depending on which way you look at it since there's different perspectives and all. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten what I was searching for now. I scratch my head and I kind of sigh because of the lack of my hair, or the fact that I'm almost bald. And I'm a girl, but that doesn't matter... not when I'm like... this.

"Eunji!" My mother yells once again, her incessant nagging will literally drive me up the wall one day. It's only been like what, a minute since she's called me down. I think that she needs to calm down once in a while, take a chill pill you know?

"Coming!" I scream as loud as I can and I swear that the wooden boards underneath my wheels scream back in protest due to my loud volume. (and weight) I don't even hide the sarcasm that's laced in my tone, I guess that's what most normal teenage girls like me would do anyway. A sigh escapes my lips and I wheel myself carefully down the hallway, the boards, again,  creak in protest with my weight and I almost want to laugh out loud because I think that I'm as light as a feather.

"Finally, you're here." My mum states in one of those tones that's meant to be reprimanding but isn't. I know better because I'm 16-going-on-to-17 soon. Her lips are set into a straight line and her eyebrows furrow in the middle. I think that's it's a cute look for her, but hey, I don't want her to get wrinkles early now.

"Stop frowning mum, you'll get wrinkles early!" I scold her, slowly resting one hand on my hip as I lean back onto the white washed wall. She chuckles and I can't fight the growing smile that's going to spread onto my lips. "That's much better now," I compliment, nodding in satisfaction. 

"This girl, sometimes I wonder if I'm the mother figure in the house or you are!" The older woman exclaims exasperatedly, throwing her hands up in the air as if she was in defeat. A laugh escapes my lips and at this very moment, I feel as if I'm not a burden or relying on the bane of my existence by a thin thread that'll just hang around my neck.

I feel... normal.

 


So I decided to go for a short introduction with a slice of life feel to it and I'm determined because I have planned this story out extensively. ♥