1/1

Denial

Taehyung had been acting weird lately. Well, more weird than usual which was saying a lot.

Jungkook would catch him laughing one second then looking really serious the next as if he were trying to figure out a word right on the tip of his tongue.

Or sometimes he would stare off into space during their rehearsal breaks, a deep frown on his usually smiling face.
He tended to do that lot these days and it was truly starting to worry the maknae. Jungkook had asked Jimin about it, but the hyung had looked at him funny and said he was just overthinking things. But he wasn't.

He was so sure something was off.

It was one night, after a particularly long and strenuous practice that Jungkook finally asked Taehyung what was wrong.

The members had one by one emptied out of the studio so only he and his hyung were the only ones left.

Taehyung was leaning his back on the mirror, his head tilted up towards the ceiling, a dim expression on his face.

Casually prodding him with his foot, Jungkook said, "Earth to hyung. What's up?" he sat down next to him, watching as Taehyung blinked rapidly before turning to him.

"Nothing."

Jungkook rolled his eyes so hard he wouldn't be surprised if they fell out.

"No, seriously, hyung," Jungkook persisted, nudging him with an elbow. "Why do you keep zoning out?"

Taehyung stared at him, a blank expression pasted on his features. "It's nothing, Kookie."

This time, Jungkook frowned as Taehyung looked away. It was a lie, but maybe he was hiding it for his own good. Maybe he didn't want him to worry. Too late for that, Jungkook thought, annoyed.

"Fine." the younger answered, standing up. He brushed himself off proceeding to walk out. "I'll be heading back then, hyung."

Shuffling sounded and suddenly Taehyung was right next to him, arm casually looping through his. "Me too."

Jungkook hid a smile. Typical hyung.

 


Sweat trickled down Jungkook's skin. He didn't have to see to know that he was perspiring everywhere. It wasn't exactly bad, but it was uncomfortable. Seoul nights were becoming too hot.

Jungkook could feel himself drifting off to sleep when something landed on his forehead. He was about to yell, but something else had covered his mouth too.

With wide eyes he tried to make out the silhouette when a familiar deep voice whispered through the dark, "it's me, Jungkook ah."

The maknae relaxed before pushing the hands off him. "What are you doing, hyung?! What time is it?"

"It's four," Taehyung answered absentmindedly, "but that doesn't matter."

Jungkook wished the light was on just so Taehyung could see him roll his eyes.

"I just.." Taehyung began, hesitant and serious. Serious?!

Nervousness instantly shot through Jungkook's stomach.

"I just want to try something out."

Jungkook stilled. His heart suddenly slammed rhythmically against his ribcage. Boom, boom, boom. What was happening?

"Okay." The maknae whispered, staring up at Taehyung with wide eyes. He could see him now, his sight adjusting to the lack of light.

Taehyung's eyes seemed to shine making Jungkook feel weird like he was missing something secret.

The older boy leaned forward, stopping just an inch in front of Jungkook's face. Jungkook held his breath.

Taehyung half smiled before closing the space between them. His mouth brushed up against the other's, lips wetting his.

Jungkook gripped the bed sheets under him, trying not to lose control or lose himself. Either way, he was going insane.

Gentle hands touched the side of his face, and though Jungkook had felt them hundreds of times before, it was never like this. Never this warm. This urgent. This passionate.

When Taehyung finally released him, rolling over to the side, Jungkook's whole body was burning up.

"Okay, Kookie ah?" Taehyung said, watching him like a hawk. One of his hands still resting on the side of Jungkook's face.

The boy nodded, a little shaken like he'd just got off a rollercoaster ride.

Taehyung pecked him on the lips, surprising the maknae again, before pulling him to his chest, warm arms resting over his back. "Good."

It took an hour for Jungkook to fall back asleep, Taehyung's steady heartbeat too much of a distraction.

 

 

Jungkook woke up with his face in Taehyung's neck. He furiously blushed, retracting backwards by reflex, but Taehyung had him in a cocoon and therefore locked in place.

Jungkook bit the insides of his cheeks, his eyes slowly wandering up to Taehyung's face. He let out a relieved breath spotting his hyung still fast asleep. He could escape without him knowing and he would believe that everything that happened last night was just some weird dream. Jungkook acknowledged that Taehyung was just experimenting. He didn't mean it seriously. And he probably regretted his actions. Jungkook was saving him the embarrassment.

Jungkook gently detached himself, slowly wriggling out of Taehyung's grasp. He was about to climb out of bed when something grabbed his arm.

He jerked back, seeing the wounded look on Taehyung's face.

"Where are you going?" Taehyung asked, his eyebrows knotted.

"I thought.. you'd regret what-" Jungkook stopped, seeing the evident confusion in the other boy's face, "but i-it doesn't matter I'm-"

Jungkook couldn't finish when Taehyung interrupted him with a hiss. "Does this look like regret?!" He wrenched him back again, lips crashing onto the other's.

Jungkook pushed him away, out of shock - he still wasn't used to this type of proximity - and he couldn't miss the devastation on his hyung's face.

"You're not thinking straight, Taehyung hyung." Jungkook looked down, avoiding his gaze.

"This is what's up."

His eyes shot back up connecting with Taehyung's serious stare. What?

"Your question." Taehyung answered his silent query. "Last night, you asked me what's up."

Jungkook's mind felt like sludge, all the information was being processed like mud trying to fall seamlessly through a filter.

"I like you, Jeon Jungkook."

Then suddenly his whole mind was clear. Taehyung's face was the only thing outlined.

Jungkook stared at his hyung, throat stuck in his chest, and he did the only action he could think of. He ran.

 

 

I like you, Jeon Jungkook. I like you, Jeon Jungkook. I like you, Jeon Jungkook.

Those five words resonated in Jungkook's head like some freakish mantra. What the hell was Taehyung playing at saying those words? He knew his hyung was mistaken. He was being stupid. Well, stupider (if that were even a word)..

Jungkook shivered. His bottom was cold and damp from sitting underneath the dewy patch of grass below the playground platform. The area was clear of any children and people in general probably because it was 7 on a Saturday morning.

The maknae pulled his knees up to his chest, his arm hairs sticking up like weeds. Why had he just worn a plain shirt? Oh, right. Only a few hours ago he was complaining about how hot Seoul could get, now here he was, shivering to death.

Jungkook's teeth silently chattered as he stared at a black mark on the side pole of the platform. It looked like dried bubblegum which had rotted over 5 years. He made a face, shifting his gaze to a minuscule circular gap in the platform wall. He needn't have bothered because all he could really see was Taehyung. Particularly the overall misery that had been evident on his face.

Jungkook heavily sighed, shutting his eyes, and leaning down to place his chin atop his knees. What was he supposed to do now? As much as it terrified him, Taehyung had confessed, and he'd reacted - quite badly, Jungkook thought with a wince - by running away.

Why had he run? The question hung in the air like a pungent odour that Jungkook wanted to dismiss, but had no clue on how.

A sudden clap of thunder boomed, jolting Jungkook out of his thoughts. Heavy rain poured down making the boy groan with exasperation. Seriously? It was way too early for this.

Jungkook bundled himself more securely under the playground platform, thankful that it at least had 3 walls. The fourth wall was non-existent, however it didn't face the direction of the downpour so Jungkook wasn't getting too soaked. Still, that didn't mean the rain itself wasn't bad. The whole playground was covered with grey mist when only moments ago he could distinguish where the slide was (on his immediate left) and the swings were (centre towards the far right).

Jungkook sighed, moving back so that his body came in contact with the back wall, head softly thudding against the surface. The sound of the rain numbed him, though unfortunately not numbing his thoughts.

How was he supposed to face Taehyung now? Eventually he would have to leave this temporary sanctuary and face his reality which was that his hyung had confessed and was most likely waiting for an answer. What was his answer?

He stared straight ahead, unfocused eyes staring at nothing until a dark blob appeared in his line of vision. Initially, Jungkook thought it was a trick of the light; his opinion immediately retracting once the blob continued to grow bigger.

Only when the blob was standing - now huddling - in front of Jungkook, did he finally realise who it was.

"Omo. Why didn't you at least bring a sweater?" Taehyung clicked his tongue, lightly shaking his hair out and spraying Jungkook with rain. "Here."

The maknae's eyes shifted to his hyung's hands which removed something from underneath his own clothing. A scarf. Taehyung wrapped the article around Jungkook's head to the point where he looked like a Mummy - only his eyes and the tips of his nose were seen.

They stared at each other for a moment before Jungkook looked down, feeling like he was being X-Rayed.

"Hyung.." he started, not entirely sure on what he was going to say. Thanks for the scarf? Thanks for kissing me despite my morning breath. Wait, no-

"It's okay." Taehyung smiled, sitting cross legged in front of him. He reached over and began lightly drumming his fingers on Jungkook's kneecaps like they were mini bongos. "I like you, and it's okay if you don't like me. I was so sure you did, though. But it's okay. Really." Taehyung tilted his head to the side, looking at him expectantly. 

How was he supposed to reply to that? He could feel his breath in his ears, shallow and staccato. This was the first time this ever happened. He didn't know what to do.

Just when Jungkook formed some sort of response in his head, Taehyung spoke up again. "I know you're scared, Kookie ah. I am too, okay? But if you do like me back, it would be really nice if you could admit it."

Jungkook's face instantly blazed like coal in a furnace.

"But whatever you are feeling, I will always support you. As a hyung or as a boyfriend." Jungkook's face burned even more red. "You just got to let me know."

It was silent again and Jungkook was grateful. The quiet didn't last long though as Taehyung began humming softly, his fingers had stopped their playing and instead held lightly onto Jungkook's knees. Taehyung's skin was super warm, that or maybe his own skin was terribly icy.

"I..." Jungkook started.

Taehyung stared hard at him with unwavering eyes.

Jungkook felt his soul being inspected under a microscope. He swallowed down a lump in his throat, averting his gaze to the grass beneath them. "I'm scared." his voice came out as a whisper, but still resonated loudly within their confinement.

A hand was seen in his vision, reaching over to prop up his chin and make their connect eyes again.

"Yes, Jungkook ah, I know. I'm scared too. But think about it this way.." Taehyung explained, now putting both his hands on the maknae's face, "we get together, yes? And somewhere along the road, we break up. I will still care for you. No matter how ugly the break up will be. I will manage to somehow bounce back and be your friend and hyung again."

Jungkook wanted to look away, stare at something else because Taehyung's eyes were extremely penetrating and earnest. It made the maknae self-conscious.. embarrassed.

"But if we get together and continue our relationship until forever, well, then that'll be amazing, don't you think?"

Jungkook's face felt so warm. Not only from Taehyung's hands, which felt so comfortable - so right - against his skin, but also the blood rushing to his cheeks.

"It will be." Jungkook murmured in agreement.

Taehyung's eyes lit up, shining like stars. "Is that a yes?"

The maknae took a shaky breath before slowly nodding.

The grin that instantly spread across Taehyung's face looked like it hurt. Jungkook was momentarily and irrationally scared Taehyung would somehow split open his face.

"Can I kiss you now?" Taehyung asked, biting on his bottom lip.

Jungkook tried not to laugh. "Yes, hyung." He'd barely finished replying when Taehyung pulled him against him, lips perfectly molding onto his own.

 

 


.. 3 months later ..


"Ya!! What is this?" Hoseok's voice rang out through the dorm.

"Nothing, hyung." Jungkook quickly said, trying to pull his collar up.

Hoseok clicked his tongue, at the same time all the other members entered the lounge room.

"What happened?" Seokjin asked, worried, walking over to place the plane of his hand against Jungkook's forehead. The maknae frowned, pushing it away. 

"He doesn't look sick." Namjoon noted, staring hard at their youngest as if to will away any threat of illness upon their golden maknae. Jungkook fought the urge to roll his eyes.

"Stop trying to get out of practice, Jeon Jungkook." Jimin piped up, teasing. He pinched the boy's cheek, laughing whilst jumping away from the attempted retaliation.

What the hell was the occasion? Pick on Jungkook day? He scowled at his hyungs who didn't even seem to notice.

"No." Hoseok dismissed. "Jungkook ah has some kind of rash." He reached over and pulled down the collar of Jungkook's shirt revealing a reddish-purple mark on the boy's shoulder. Jungkook yelped, trying to move out of his grasp.

Suddenly a roar of laughter was heard as everyone turned to the 4D lion cub hunched over and holding in his stomach.

"What's wrong with you?" Yoongi accused.

Oh my god, hyung, Jungkook thought, trying to fight the blush off his face (it wasn't working). Shut up, shut up, shut up.

"Taehyung, this is serious." Seokjin admonished. "Kookie ah might be coming down with something."

"It might be mildly contagious.." Namjoon pondered, staring at the mark on Jungkook's skin.

The maknae was squirming under all their gazes, plus Hoseok still insisted on showing everyone his supposed "rash". Jungkook wanted to strangle Taehyung. This was all his fault!

The rascal hyung only grinned in reply, wiping the tears of joy from his eyes. "Oh, yeah, definitely. It's definitely contagious." he said seriously before breaking down into laughter again.

Jungkook was going to kill him.

 

 


xxxxxx

I hope you liked it!!! >< it's my first story so yeah heheheheh. Please vote up if you liked it and comment and let me know what you think!! :3
Thank you for reading~~
(Also the members don't know they're going out so yeah hehe and this is just a one shot sorry ><)