That One Day

Believe, Not

"LEE MINJAE!!! Where's my uniform!!!" A screeching voice came. It broke the silence early in the morning. What a great way to start off her day. She couldn't bit back the sarcasm from her thought. Ignoring it was probably not a good idea but what could be worse?

 Rolling off to another side, she slammed a hand over her ears.

A yell of her name, then came another. It doesn't seemed like she could ignore that any longer. She got up and rubbed her eyes, half  awake. She let out a silent groan before replying, though the irritation was showing through her rude reply. "Yea yea... Coming!" 

She made her way to the bathroom, swearing under her breath all the way as she dragged herself. Her hair was sticking up in every direction, her soft curls were tangled in furry lumps and her bangs were totally out of place. Combing her own hair had often made her arms tired, the knots on the back of her hair took her a long time to figure them out. 

"Yah, Lee Minjae! You better be here in five minutes!" 

She threw her comb in to the sink and cursed before replying.

 "NEH Naeun ssi!" 

 

---------

 

"MINJAE!!!" The worker shouted. People really enjoy shouting her name, don’t they?

She didn’t have a hearing problem, nor deaf. It's either that she was ignoring that person on purpose or that her earphones were too loud. 

She felt a light shove on her shoulder. Plucking out an earphone from her right ear, she turned to the worker. "Yes?"

She regretted the moment their eyes met. The girl's voice came into her head unintentionally. 

What's the problem with her!!! She thinks she's cool wearing that just to flirt with guys? 

Her eyes narrowed. Looking away immediately to cut off the worker's thought, she scowled at herself for being so careless. 

"Can you please help me serve a cup of Mocha?" Flashing her a smile, the worker said in the sweetest tone she could, masking her irritation. 

"Oh..." She could've talked back to her a little, maybe shooting her a cold glare in protest. But that would somehow scare the girl away. Who in the world knows what you're thinking instantly with just a look in the eye anyways?

"Okay." She replied, taking over the cup of mocha and plucked on her earphones. 

It was almost as loud enough to mute her surroundings, exactly the way she wanted it to be.

"Minjae-ah.." She felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning around, her eyes laid on a familiar face.

"Neh unnie?" She replied and stucked her right hand to her pocket to lower down the volume. Her eye lingered on the girl's lip as she studied what she was telling. After all, the earphones did not exactly lower down the volume of it's music. She need not hear other unnecessary things.

"Minjae-ah you can leave the shop early today, you're busy with your studies recently, right?" The manager flashed her a smile. 

She raised an eyebrow at her questionably. She didn't do anything wrong, did she? "Why so sudden, unnie?"

"Ah, there's a new worker here today. I wanted to test her so I've been thinking maybe that she could take over your duty-" 

"No. It's okay." She immediately rejected her offer. She needs this job. 

"Nah, you don't have to feel bad about it actually." Of course, it’s not like she feels bad about it either.

"But I don't have anything to do even if I leave earlier and school starts an hour later." 

" I told you never mind. Just leave earlier, okay?" The manager insisted and pushed her to the exit. She hesitated for a moment. Of course, she thought of this situation was definitely fishy, but come to think of it, that extra one hour was definitely what she needs now.

She hadn't got any sleep on the previous night just to study for the test, not to mention the night before too. Four consecutive nights, she hadn't got to sleep properly. It had always been short naps, then studying was all she does. Truth to be told, her face looks pale and her baggy eyes were clearly visible. That's all the reason she needs to put her in sleep now. 

It’s just another job that didn’t want to keep her any longer, she didn’t need to hear a thing from the shopkeeper to know that she was shunned. 

The shopkeeper was still grinning at her when she turned around and convinced herself that an extra time off was not a bad idea afterall.    

 With a sigh, she handed her apron to her and grabbed her bag. "Thanks unnie, see you tomorrow." She mumbled and headed to the exit.

"Bye bye~"

Guess I won’t be seeing you tomorrow, huh.

 --------------

Small glints of sunlight made it passed the tightly packed leaves of the tree above her. Her eyes squinted at the lights that seem to not want her to slumber asleep soon.

”Appa!” Her eyes shifted to the direction of the voice and watched interestingly.

A little kid was dragging the hem of a man's shirt while heading towards the swing with a big grin on his face. " Dad quick!!! I want to play the swing!!!". 

She felt a lump in and looked away, casually swinging an arm over her eyes.

"Umma hurry up!" The little girl pulled her mother's sleeve. She gulped at the sudden flashback. Those happy times were beyond her reach now. A lone wolf she is. 

Her hands reached for her phone and pressed impatiently on the volume button until her head hurts more than her heart, just like how she’d like to force herself to sleep for countless nights.

Damn this whole thing. 

 ----------

 "Yah, How can you forget that you ungrateful brat?" He could feel his head giddy when he recieved a smack on the back of his skull. And there comes Jin's infamous naggings. 

"Whatever. It’s just school, ditch it."  Jungkook simply yawned like he didn’t cared. 

 They'd been going around and this was their third time ending up in the same place.

 "If it weren't for you, we all wouldn't have to transfer! Geez, why must you make that Emma Hwang angry?! And why must that be the daughter of the principal. Gahhhhhhhhh!" Jin swore that he was going insane right now. He knew that Jungkook wasn't  the one to  blame for getting Emma Hwang angry when the poor boy almost got by her but it was still his fault for not searching up the new school’s address. 

He shot Jungkook a glare, but it made him pissed when that brat Jungkook smirked at him. "Urghhhhhhh!" He roared but Jimin came in just in time to save his poor hyung. 

"Ahaha.. hyung chill for a bit.. What are we gonna do now?"

"What else are we gonna do now? Ask for directions of course." Jin said, feeling pissed.

"At times like this students should have arrive at the school already, I heard that teachers there are very scary..." J-hope said while looking at his watch. He turned to Suga and asked, "See anything Suga?" 

 "Hm... Give me a sec', I haven't ate this morning because of that idiot Jungkook, just so you know, I can't work fast with things when I'm hungry, " He complained but still looked around. "Oh, found one. Wait, she's sleeping? At a time like this? Wow. Anyways, someone go wake her up." 

"Jungkook will go." Jin smirked. 

"Why me?" He immediately declared.

"Hey hey, it's a she we're talking about Kookie  " Suga said while pushing Jungkook near towards the girl. They all know what Suga meant when he said that.

 Jungkook was popular when it comes to girls. But he had actually hated it so much that he wouldn't want to be near to a girl. The thought of them chasing over him was definitely cringe-worthy. 

"Fine, I’ll scare her away if that’s what you want." Jungkook warned them. Jimin made a face at Jungkook’s response and turned to Suga as if telling him that Jungkook clearly didn’t like that idea of his and that he will screw up their only hope. Suga just shrugged and no one stopped Jungkook as they watched him made his approach to the girl. 

He stood before the girl who was asleep and had slightly apart with an arm over her eyes. He couldn’t get a full glimpse of her complete facial features with her current sleeping position. 

Unbelievable. He rolled his eye and thought of what he was asked to do. Those earphones, ugh.

“Hey,” He tried calling out but as expected, he didn’t get a reply. On the other hand, he just annoyed as he didn’t want to touch her but he had an urge to yank her earphones away. The music was so loud that he could hear it twice as clear himself. This girl is abnormal. Crazy. 

Slowly yet carefully, he raised his right hand and that seemingly reached for her until it was a few inches away from her he stopped. With a twitch of his slender fingers downwards, the earphones follow its motion as it fell off her ears aburptly. 

That very moment, his eyes widened as it followed the hand that shot up and caught his wrist instantly. It was very pale, very small, yet cold and warmthless. He watched the girl’s left arm fell from her face as she lowered her head to look at the boy. The earphone fell on her checkered skirt as her small cold fingers wrapped around his wrist.

Huge, dolly brown eyes that reflected him as it bore itself into him, staring. From expressionless, her brows knitted closely together as she stared at him. Nothing. I hear nothing. 

The boy froze, he felt her pinky brushed on his bare wrist up his sleeve when she tightened her grip around him. Curiosity, fear, cautious, slight anger... and- . He hated skin contacts, it’s disgusting. 

He quickly yanked away almost too harshly because the girl seemed too fall forward due the impact. He heard her yelp instinctively, only then he pressed  a hand on her shoulder to support her from falling as her other arm clamped on the sleeves of his blazer. When she had regained her balance again, she pushed him away. Raising an eyebrow at her angry glare, he sensed it. There was something about her the moment he forced off her earphones. It wasn’t his imaginations. 

 The guy just stared at her weirdly as if she had something weird on her face. She stared back, feeling annoyed, hoping for him to break the stare but he just stared back at her blankly.

“What exactly do you want from me?” Her voice, bold and little bit of something else. Interesting.

 What's that scent when she took her earphones off?

"Weird girl," He said and finally broke the stare as he straightened up. She just raised an eyebrow at him. Patting herself over to brush off the fallen leaves, she stood up to look at him right at his eye level for a good few seconds before scoffing and stuffing her earphones back to its rightful place. I don’t hear a crap out of him.

She tried something back there. 

“I could say the same to you. ert, are you?” The girl challenged. They all stifled at laugh back at the bushes. It’s their first time seeing their maknae so helpless. ert? More like cute, seeing the change in Jungkook’s expression as he furrowed his eyebrows. They all watched in satisfactory, however the girl seem to be out of patience. 

The other members came out of the bushes and quickly pushed Jungkook away before he made things worse. She took a careful glance at each and everyone of them who popped out of nowhere. These other few people had their thoughts flying in her head and she did not favour it, at all. 

I didn’t know my school had a bunch of good looking stalkers. It didn’t took her long to realise they’re new. She figured that new people get lost often and maybe they just neeeded a helping hand, but no. It didn’t occur to her that she would want to help them. These awfully good looking people reeks trouble. 

"Ah... don't mind about him, and we are sorry for disturbing your nap. We are new transfer students-“ The guy with white hair and cute dimples started explaining and stopped as soon as she turned her back on them. She was ignoring them.

“W-wait-“ Rapmon panicked but Jungkook held her back.

”I wonder if you can go to your home room without your student card,” Jungkook waved her card that magically appeared in his hands.

This is blackmailing, great Minjae. You screwed up. She had lost count off how many times she frowned or rolled her eye at this stranger. 

“Give it back.” She warned, her eyebrows twitched in irritation. This is going to be a childish fight to win. 

“Walk, and we’ll follow. Easy aren’t we?” He challenged back. 

“....” Freaking. Childish. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

”Y-yah Kook, she didn’t like it. Just give it back, we’ll find a way.” Another blonde hair boy turned up, putting a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder. Well, at least he has some manners. 

“V hyung! You should stop being so soft. Now you tell me how are we going to roll our to school if I let this person go,”

 “B-but she-“

She interupted. “Let him keep it, for all I care. We are all late.” 

—————————-

 And that is how she ended up walking a bunch of hotties school. More like speeding off to school. She made long, fast, strides on purpose all the way as she tried to keep a distance from them to let it seem that they were complete strangers.

It didn’t took long for the gossips to start once they entered the school grounds. Lee Minjae being seen with a bunch of hotties is news. 

“Gosh, don’t you think they’re hot?” 

 “Omo, oppas.”

 “They looked here!”

She lowered her head, hoping no one noticed them walking together. As long as no one made a comment about it, it at least wouldn’t turn out to be a big news and-

“Look, is that Lee Minjae? Why is that doing with th- “ 

It clicked something inside her. She wanted to give her a slow clap for being able to say that out loud. If looks could kill, the girl would be dead now. The girl gulped as she felt her icy glare piercing her. It was enough to shut one’s filthy mouth.

Minjae, Minjae. You made yourself into trouble.