One-shot

Can U Smile

The dim lights hanging at the bar swayed slightly from a small cool breeze. Sunggyu ran his finger around the rim of his highball glass before taking another sip at his drink. Each sip tasted saltier than the previous.

Oppa, did you want to talk to me?

That day I asked you out. Your beaming smile made me stutter as I offered to walk you home after school. With a shy face you giggled and agreed. Three more dates passed before we became official.

Thanks for a great 100th day!

Our couple ring gleamed at the sunlight, but it was never as bright as your smile. High school graduation was coming soon and we both had dreams of attending the same university. Together we worked hard and got accepted by the university.

You promised to meet me here today. Where did you go?

My group project went late. I was sorry I couldn’t tell you sooner before my phone battery ran out. I tried to make it up to you that week, but you kept saying that you had other things to do. Who was that guy that I saw come out of your dorm?

Why can’t you ever have a weekend free so we could go hang out?

My part-time job was so that I could earn a little more money for the both of us. I tried to keep it a secret until I could buy you that purse you wanted. But one day, I noticed you carrying one around the campus.

I can’t understand you at all anymore. Why aren’t you letting me hang out with a guy friend of mine?! Let me go!

He isn’t just a friend to you, right? He was the one that gave you your accessories, your new clothes and love, right? I tried to hold you back, but you struggled to leave. This isn’t what I wanted. I loosened my grip on your wrist and slammed the apartment door behind you. A year has passed and you never came back.


Sunggyu drank from the glass one last time. From his pocket he took out his couple ring to take one last look at it before dropping onto the rocks in his glass and left the bar.

The bartender wiped the area where Sunggyu sat. Upon noticing the ring, she gave a small smile before a teardrop rolled down her face.