1

Sunglasses

If they called themselves “dead-tired” when they were still trainees, then they have no more words to describe how they are right now. After their debut last year, they rarely have time for themselves. Five minutes was already long enough for a shower, and 1 hour of sleep is considered over sleeping. 

It’s the start of a new year and they currently have no schedules, which is a surprise. Days like this one was so rare that they did not really spend that much time in the past planning what they would do once they’re free, so obviously, they’re huddled in a circle in the living room staring at each other.

 

“Namjoon hyung, since you’re the leader you should think of what we should do.” Jungkook, who has his head on Taehyung’s lap, suggested. The others agreed with the maknae and Namjoon, left with no other choice, just groaned and lied down on his back.

“You only treat me as a leader in situations like this.” He dramatically sighed and tapped Seokjin’s back. “Ah. Hyung, since you’re oldest you should do the thinking, not me.” Namjoon nodded to himself.

Seokjin turned to him, face too serious and blank of any emotion but he still gasped a little too exaggeratedly. “Me? Why me? Hoseok should be the one since he’s-“ Seokjin was cut off by Yoongi’s loud groan of disapproval.

“We will not accomplish anything if we continue this.” He pauses for a while, “Everybody just tell a story from your predebut life that you will never forget.” He finishes then plops down the sofa behind him and pointed at Taehyung. “You start.”

“Why don’t you start, you were the one who suggested it.” Taehyung mumbled. Yoongi shoots him a glare and Taehyung immediately grinned at him, “I meant yes hyung.” The others laughed loudly.

Taehyung then turned to a babbling mess. His story was a horrible mixture of purple aliens and ice cream and bunch of other weird things only Taehyung knows the meaning of.

Seokjin, who was sitting beside Taehyung, was next, a minute and a half into his story and he was crying. Namjoon doesn't know whether to feel bad because Seokjin looks like he really misses his family or laugh because Seokjin's crying face isn't really pleasing to the eye.

When it was Namjoon's turn, Yoongi who was half-asleep the whole time was suddenly more awake than a caffeine-driven person. Although Yoongi is Namjoon's best friend, he doesn't have the slightest idea on Namjoon's life other than the basics; Name, Age, Parents, Pets and such. 

That is why Yoongi was the one who volunteered to ask a question when Namjoon said that he don't know what to share.

"Why don't you tell us the story behind your obsession with sunglasses?" Yoongi asked innocently but with a distinct tone in his voice that Namjoon took as a hint that Yoongi knows something he shouldn't.

"Aaah. Why that? Wait. I'll just tell you guys this one time when I-" Namjoon tried to divert the member's attention from his sunglasses obsession to a different, less embarrassing and less personal point of his life. 

 

Namjoon raised himself with his elbows and was greeted by unamused expressions etched on the member's faces. He sighed, "Okay. Okay. Sunglasses it is."

Seokjin scooted over to him and the elder's thigh was touching his torso. "Where should I start?" Namjoon sighed. He grabbed onto Seokjin's arm for support and pushed his back off the floor; his hyung, being his awkward self, only got pulled and ended up lying on top of Namjoon's chest.

“AaAAAAaaaAaaAAAAAaaaAaA” Hoseok shrieked and jumped next to Jungkook and covered the maknae’s eyes. “Hyung. What the hell are you two doing? Baby Kookie is here.” Hoseok nagged in his motherly tone. Taehyung bashed his head with a pillow he managed to pull from under Yoongi’s leg, “Shut up hobi hyung.”

Namjoon and Seokjin rolled their eyes at them and laughed at themselves for being too clumsy. They pushed themselves up to a sitting position and ended being too close to each other.

 

“I’m not going over the details much but let’s just say,” Namjoon started his story after clearing his throat for a minute. He could almost see the shining stars behind Yoongi’s gaze. “I have this ex-girlfriend, we dated for a few months,” Namjoon scratched his neck awkwardly, feeling pressured under the member’s stares.

“Someone actually fell for your charms hyung.” Jungkook said, and Namjoon threw one of Seokjin’s shoes at his head. “Shut it maknae.” He growled but still smiled at the younger.

“That’s the problem. What’s my charm for you guys?” Namjoon asked them seriously, but the members ignored his question and ushered him to continue with his story saying that he doesn’t really have any charms.

“Aish. Okay. So, let’s just say she nicely,” Namjoon made quotation marks in the air with his fingers, “broke up with me because she doesn’t like my eyes.” Namjoon finished quickly and hid his face on Seokjin’s wide shoulder.

“That’s it? You called yourself sunglasses-ugly hairstyle idol because of that?” Yoongi exclaimed, probably hoping for a juicier backstory than what Namjoon had told them. Yoongi rolled on his side and tried to sleep; annoyed at the lame story Namjoon had him worked up on. 

“She told me I have the ugliest pair of eyes she has ever seen in her entire life.” Namjoon pouted, getting a little too worked up because of his stupid ex-girlfriend. “You know how sensitive I get when people mention my eyes.” He muttered silently.

 


Hours after their heart to heart talk, the members went to their shared bedrooms with the burden of full load schedule the next day. But Namjoon can’t sleep, not when he was forced to reminisce the stupid reason behind his sunglasses trademark. 

He was staring at the ceiling since he went to bed. The bedroom was dark except the small line of light from the space under the door. 

The door slammed open making Namjoon hold onto his chest for dear life. Then the entire room went white, Seokjin opened the bedroom light. Namjoon squinted his already small eyes; trying to adjust his vision to the brightness.

“Hyuuung.” Namjoon whined, using his arm as cover on the top half of his face. Seokjin sat down on the floor next to Namjoon’s bed. “By the way Joonie,” He said, his face serious and eyes boring holes on Namjoon’s face.

“What?”Namjoon moved from lying on his back to propping himself on his side, staring back at Seokjin. 

“I don’t understand what your ex meant.” Seokjin said, his lips growing into a pout.

“What do you mean?” Namjoon’s brows furrowed. They should be sleeping right now; they still need to wake up in 2 hours.

“I don’t get the ugly eyes part. You don’t have ugly eyes.” Seokjin continued, his face still serious. Namjoon, still not getting Seokjin’s point, has his lips set on a thin line.

I like your eyes. Don’t cover them with those ugly sunglasses.” Seokjin smiled at him and stood up abruptly, not giving Namjoon time to respond; he went to the door and closed the lights.

 

Namjoon tried to sleep, tossing and turning on his bed. He can hear Seokjin’s soft snoring from the other side of the room. He can’t seem to remove the image of Seokjin’s smile; like it was glued on the back of his eyelids. 

Namjoon sighed for the nth time that night. By the time Namjoon felt sleepy, it was already time to wake up. He was groggy the whole ride to the company and he blames Seokjin's smile for it.

 

 

am i the only one who is curious as to why namjoon rarely wears sunglasses right now ;__;
and i am fully aware that this has a reaaaly lame ending sorry for that ><

if you squint hard enough you'll notice how hard i tried to make this into a namjin fic instead of a namjoon-centric one.