you better kiss me before they turn the lights out

Summer Swing

We don't have forever

baby daylight's wasting

you better kiss me before our time has run out,

Beyoncé - XO 

 

 

He saw her for the first time in the front seat of his best friend’s car, Raybans on and he awkwardly shuffled to remove the invisible dirt on his shirt when he thought she’s watching him through the dark lenses. But she’s not because Jongin gently shook her shoulders and that’s only when she gained her senses and stifled a sleepy yawn. He felt momentarily stupid.

Taemin felt overdressed in his white button-down when he saw Jongin in a sleeveless shirt, shorts and flip flops. The only thing that signals summer in his get-up is his cap over his head. She trailed behind him wearing nothing glamorous in a white tee, jean shorts, and black Chucks and Taemin tried his hardest to focus on his best friend’s face instead. He broke a sweat as he mentally pictured himself being mercilessly run on by a truck because he’s silently checking out his best friend’s girlfriend. A little chick flick cliché but Taemin only know now that such things really do happen in real life. Only that it was way cooler in the movies.

Krystal,

that’s her name as Jongin introduced them. Pretty name for a pretty girl. He thought as he shook her hands. Taemin mentally noted how small her hands were and supressed the urge to feel it once more. Sulli’s hands were soft but it’s almost the same size as his so it makes him hard to hold it without exerting extra effort. She removed her Raybans and Taemin half wished she didn’t and half thanked she did because damn she’s even prettier without it. Sulli is beautiful but Krystal is really something. Those cat-like eyes, thin lips, and… he really should stop this. It’s very uncharacteristic of Taemin to do this, to feel this, but he can’t help it. He’s shocked with this newfound side of him and he’s terrified and excited at the same.

He almost forgot Sulli behind him when Krystal hugged her. He didn’t know the two know each other. Friends, even, when Krystal took Sulli’s hand and led Sulii to the back seat of Jongin’s car. He sat on the front seat and was slightly thankful because he can’t see Krystal, away from committing a sin and breaking the Golden Rule of Bro Code.

-------------

They reached the beach exactly as the sun was setting down.

The boys successfully lighted a campfire without endangering someone’s life and it’s a nice summer night all right. The four teens huddled around the fire, beer bottles clinking, laughter echoing the night, and chaste but lingering glances floated through the sea breeze.

Taemin somehow knew that Krystal looks at him more than she’s supposed to. You know the number of times you’re supposed to glance at your boyfriend’s best friend should be limited in a wholesome level, especially when you’re not talking to each other. But he’s caught her countless of times now and he does find it weird but kinda nice on the inside. He admitted to himself that he likes it more than he should. Maybe he’s looking at her too more than he’s supposed to, he doesn’t know. And he knows it’s not the best thing to do, not when your best friend is talking and his hand is on her knee and your girlfriend is tracing lazy circles on your back as she laughed to what Jongin said, but he can’t just find the nerve to stop.

“Hey, Sehun said he doesn’t know the way here.” Sulli said as she read a text in her phone.

“Let him get lost,” Jongin said as he munched on caramel popcorns.

“Yeah, maybe he’d be lucky and will be run on by a ten-wheeler. Who knows,” Taemin said and the three laughed, Krystal being an exception.

“Don’t worry Krystal, no harm done. That’s just how we show love to our maknae, you’ll get to it soon.” She winked and stood up. “Jongin, let’s get that little . I know he’s freaking out by now. I need to buy something too,”

“The better buy me something,” Jongin stood up and turned to Krystal, “You’ll be okay with Taem, he’s a little undone but he’s alright.” He managed to dodge an empty beer bottle on its way to his face.

It’s when they’re alone with the waves that Taemin felt the irregular beating in his chest and his clammy palms. They’re not necessarily close to each other but it seemed like he can see her every movement. Even the way her toes played with the sand beneath her feet.

“I heard from Jongin that you two knew each other since middle school,”

“Yeah, Sehun and Sulli too,”

“So you were kinda like best friends for life? But I see no friendship bracelet,” she smiled and he can’t help but smile too. It’s too pretty especially when she’s looking at him too.

“Jongin treating you right?” he wanted to smack himself in the face for asking such questions but it’s already done and he can only pray she won’t take it the wrong way. He sighed when she laughed.

“Yeah, yeah.Jongin’s treating me all right… whatever that means,” there’s mirth in her eyes and her laugh’s really infectious and he found himself laughing with her too. He doesn’t particularly know why but it felt so nice. It just happened but they’re now sitting side by side in front of the fire, talking and laughing like they’ve known each other for years.

Taemin’s in the middle of telling Krystal how Jongin ran for his life when they tricked him about Michael Jackson’s supposed visit to Korea when she kissed him.

It was chaste. Lips meeting for a brief second before she pulled away and drank what’s left of her beer. He’s too stunned to say something and just settled on watching her with round eyes and gaping mouth. When she turned back to him, a small and shy smile decorated her lips.

“Sorry, I know you’re a nice guy,” she gestured to his cap which said ‘nice guy,’ in Hangul, “but I don’t know, I suddenly felt like you want to kiss me,”

He slowly recovered from the shock and smiled. Taemin turned his cap backwards so the front side’s on the back of his head and pulled her closer to place a kiss on her lips longer than she did.

“This is crazy. How did you know?”

“I just know and yeah, this is so crazy,” he kissed her again, now less innocent than the first one. He tasted beer and breathed in vanilla. She tasted so distinct and delicious that the kiss lasted longer and some parts of his body started to react to it too. He stopped just as he was on the brink of forgetting who he is and who she is.

“You should know too,” he said as he squeezed her hand, “that I’m not really a nice guy,”

“I know that too,” she smiled as he captured her lips one last time before they go back to being Jongin’s girlfriend and best friend. So this is what it feels like and to say he did not like the small physical engagement is a complete lie. The night is lost and he admits to secretly breaking the Golden Rule of Bro Code but they have the stars and waves to keep their secret.


 

Wew. I personally think that was really y. 

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK THROUGH COMMENTS. thanks ♥