Blackout

Stadiov

A rosy glow enlightened the abandoned road, replacing the brown colour of the sand with a pink one. In a distance the rare sound of a vehicle could be heard. Moving with high speed at first, the black minivan slowed down as it reached an old mansion at the end of the road. The walls of the building look weary as if they could collapse at the slightest touch of the wind, yet they maintained some feeling of magnificence and strength. A young man stepped out of the van holding a backpack in his hand. Dressed in black from head to toe with his face hidden by a pair of sunglasses and the shadow of a baseball cap, he walked to the door without locking the van. Junhyung kicked the front door open and stepped into the mansion. There was no need for him to lock the doors; no one ever came down here. The mansion his uncle left him was sited outside the city, practically in the middle of nowhere. Even with a map, someone wouldn't be able to find his house. Junhyung took off his shoes and carefully put his bag on the table. He would look at the material he had collected later. He wanted to relax for awhile, especially after such a long and tiring day.

 

 

The dawn neared as the light slowly began to fade from the parted curtain of the darkly dimmed room. The only light source came from a desk that was installed in the middle of the living room. The young man sat in front of the desk with a glass of wine in his hand watching the installation of flat screens neatly arranged next to each other. He smirked as the middle screen got filled with thick blood red splatters. Desperate cries of a woman pierced through the speakers strengthened by the screams of men. On the other screen he could see a body of a man falling down to the ground. A woman kneeled next to him holding his hand as tears were flowing down her filthy cheeks leaving trails on her face. Another man stood next to her with axe in his hand watching the scene in front of him.

 

 

I guess that the law doesn't always win from crime.

 

 

Junhyung took a sip of his glass and slowly swirled the wine. He enjoyed these evenings; watching blood spill with a glass of your favourite wine in your hand.

 

 

I want some action. That was way too short, this is getting pretty boring. Let's see whether willpower can win from me.

 

 

He closed his eyes and when he opened them again, there was movement on the screen. The man mouthed something to the woman. Apparently his words made her upset and she started to cry louder as she let go of the hand of the dead body. The woman looked up to the guy and seemed to be begging him for something. Junhyung couldn't hear what she was saying; the microphones in the room weren't strong enough to record it. However, even without knowing what she was saying Junhyung could guess that she was begging for mercy. The man had already raised his axe with the blood of his previous victim still on it and without hesitation he let weapon make contact with the woman.

 

 

An eerie scream filled Junhyung’s ears as the familiar chills went down his spine. The ground got covered by the red liquid coming from the head which rolled to the very corner of the room. Junhyung clapped his hands in excitement; he simply loved the feeling he got from watching bloodshed, especially when he was the cause of it. A feeling of content filled his body.

 

 

That was a good game. I haven't heard any screams for weeks. I knew that adding a woman to the game was a great addition. Her voice just completes it. I've got goosebumps of her last one. Beautiful. Now, what shall we do with the winner?

 

 

Junhyung looked at the man on the screen who was kneeling on the ground and looking at his hands in disgust. He had let go of the axe which was now peacefully laying on the ground next to him.

 

 

Oh, he looks so sad. Choi Seunghyun, you should be happy to be the last man standing in this game. Why aren't you happy? I thought you would like it.

 

 

A smirk made its way on Junhyung’s face.

 

 

Seunghyun, watching you make my heart ache, I will make sure that you never have to do this again. Never again.



 


 

 

What have I done?

 

 

Seunghyun looked at his with blood-smeared hands. He couldn’t remember a thing of what had happened. He never could. For the past weeks he was locked up in a room where the sunrays didn't dare to shine. It was cold and dark in there with a small lightbulb hanging to the ceiling as a pathetic replacement of the sun. The room was enclosed by iron bars and had the sight on hallway which look an endless one without any sign of life.

 

 

Did it happen again?

 

 

Seunghyun had been suffering from blackouts since he was there. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't recall any memories of the time during the blackouts. Sometimes blurry images flashed through his mind or distant cries banged against his eardrums. The only thing he could do, was drawing conclusions from what he saw after a blackout. He never liked the result. The body of a familiar looking woman lay in front of his eyes next to a body of a man. The will to puke welled up in his body when he followed the blood trail to the corner of the room. The image of hair soaked in blood, mouth wide open like an endless tunnel to nothing and red eyes of someone whose soul had left the body engraved in his memory. Seunghyun felt like he had met them before, but he couldn't recall their names or any memories of him interacting with them. Were their deaths his fault?  Did he do that? It must have been his fault. He was the only one in the room. It was always his fault.

 

 

It happened again. I've killed them, just like those others.

 

 

Losing the power in his legs, he plopped down on the dirty floor. His fingertips touched the sinful weapon as a deep sigh left his lips. How was it possible for him to do such deeds? Seunghyun had taken lives before, but not without a good reason, not without a consciousness. This was just inhuman. He only remembered that they were with ten people at first, but after the first blackout, there were only four people left. All of them couldn't remember a thing too. It had formed a bond between them; it was one of the few things they had in that room. They had been living for days in fear of another blackout. The people who tried to escape would suffer from sudden bruises, internal bleedings and other injuries. The one second they would be perfectly healthy, the next second the same persons would be coughing blood and shedding red tears.

 

 

This room is cursed. It's haunted. It must be.

 

 

First they thought that ghosts were possessing them during blackouts. There was no better explanation. They were the only ones who had the ability of hurting them to that extent. However, after weeks of peace, they thought that the ghosts had done enough chaos to leave for the other world. They started to drop their guard. And the blackouts and the killing began again.

 

 

We were stupid. We should have known that they wouldn't just disappear.

 

 

Seunghyun buried his head between his hands. He felt hopeless. There was some kind of higher power that controlled him and there was nothing he could do about it. He couldn't stop it. Every day the feeling of guilt ate a little piece of his soul till there would be nothing of him left.

 

 

Please, make it stop. I am begging you. I don't want this anymore, I can't do this anymore.

 

 

A sudden pain shot through his head. With the second, the pain became heavier, almost unbearable. He flung his body on the floor and squirmed in all directions. The pain only became more severe; it felt like as if an invisible fist punched its way through his skull and when it was inside, the hand invaded his mind and stirred with its fingers in every corner of his brains. The hairstrands on the back of his neck stood up and chills were sent down his spine. The hand kept exploring the content of his brains till it reached the core of his head. There Seunghyun felt like his consciousness, his inner him, got taken away from his throne and pushed back to the deepest spot of the brains. The hand held him forcefully against a wall. Seunghyun felt suffocated. His body was being contorted and bended in every possible way. The more he tried to escape from the tight grisp, the tighter the grasp got. Iron chains were appearing out of thin air and wrapped themselves around him. Seunghyun couldn't move an inch.

 

 

He got chained up again. This was the same feeling he got when blackouts started.

 

 

Only this time the chains tightened themselves with every breath he took.

 

 

What's happening?

 

 

Seunghyun lifted his head and desperately gasped for air as electric pulses were spreading over his whole mind. Even though he wasn't moving, the chains wrapped themselves tighter around him. Unable to bear all the pain, Seunghyun screamed as if it would soften the different pains he was feeling in each milimetre of his body. His blood vessels were snapping one by one, high pressure was building up in his bloodstream and the supply of oxygen got cut off. Seunghyun started to breath more heavily and quickly; it didn't help at all. Slowly darkness started to take over his sight. First small circles appeared in his vision, but soon these became larger. His eyes rolled back as the blood squirted out of his eyes, his ears, his nose and every other possible exit from the body to the outside world. The circles became larger and in the end, they occupied his whole vision; it went black.

 

 

Seunghyun had a blackout, a blackout which would last forever.


 


 


Never thought that I would personally kill them. This is way more fun than letting them kill each other. How foolish of me to think that killing them on my own would get my clothes dirty with their blood.

 

 

Junhyung took another sip of his wine and watched the corpses as they were bathing in their own blood. The shy moonlight carefully made its way through the curtains and rested on Junhyung's desk. It was already dark outside. The night creatures were all slowly conquering the surface and soon the air got filled by obscure sounds of the darkness. Junhyung put the glass on the table, got up and walked to the material he had collected earlier this day. There he carefully took out the photos out of the brown envelope and put them besides his notebook. His fingers glided over the twinkling eyes and smiling faces. 

 

 

Soon I will teach you what real sadness is, what real pain is like. I will wipe off those grins on your faces and teach you what the real world is like, what hell is like. I will show you what monsters live on this little blue ball. 

 

 

His signature smirk appeared on his face again as he took out a picture of intimidating bloke who was holding a sign with a name on it. It was probably his name. 

 

 

Perfect. The perfect fight. Savage and wild ones versus the so-called cultivated ones. Who will win?

 

 

Junhyung walked back to his desk, exchanged the pictures for his wine and drank a bit. It was quite remarkable how long he could enjoy one glass of fine wine. He walked to the window and pulled the musty curtains to the sides, carefully so he wouldn't breath in the dust particles. Holding his glass up he let the moon shined its rays on the red liquid. 

 

 

With our new candidates selected and the old ones gone, let's toast on a new and successful game. 

 

 

He drank his glass empty and looked at it again.

 

 

It will always be a good game. 

 

 

With my powers, the game will always end well. 

 

 

Because I,

 

 

I am the winner.