Tunnel

LABYRINTH
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of footsteps echoes in a dimly lit tunnel, filling the empty darkness inside. Accompanying it are sounds of splashing water, the quick and sneaky movements of rodents inhabiting in it and the heavy, raspy breathing of something unknown. The footsteps flow with a careful rhythm, first making a few quiet steps ,stop and then going faster. It seems that the owner of the footstep does not want to be noticed.

The tunnel leads to a beautiful city with modern and futuristic sky-high buildings. The many different kinds of plants in it, instead of the usual colors people would expect to see, are in an odd shade of red and purple. Modern flying cars floats about like they are just for display. The people in it living, but they have no real purpose, just hanging about and let themselves be controlled like lifeless robots. A huge LED screen in the middle of the city. A giant full moon hovering over its night sky, big, pale and too close to Earth. Its light engulfs the city and the odd quietness of it, the scene beautiful and scary at the same time. The living sounds at night are replaced by well arranged but generic musics, blasting every night. There are no sounds that different living creatures makes when it is night time, there is no sounds of life.... 

… Nothing.

Everything in this city looks like a piece of modern art, perfect. All of it looks beautiful and well-planned, so perfect it seems unreal.

Fake.

It is now the 26th century, the Earth is divided into two big continents, the two are connected by a bridge call ‘The Labyrinth’. One continent is called Ploúsios, which in ancient Greek means 'wealth'. The place where the rich and the powerful lived, breath, eats, drink, play and die. The other continent is called Ptōxós, which means 'poverty'. A place where the poor, the unwanted, scumbag and trash are thrown into, those who live their lives like slaves, to please the rich as their sole purpose in life.

Ploúsios has 'Virtual Paradise', a program that creates a virtual world for people that want to live the perfect life, where they would have to do nothing but to enjoy. Everyone in Plousios have access to this program. In the world that is created by the program, they would have unlimited amounts of money and resources that could satisfy any material needs. There would be no need for jobs, there would be no need for schools. There would be no hardships, there would be nothing that gets in the way. The life that anyone would dream of.

Meanwhile the people at Ptōxós must fight for their own life, to find ways to change their lives for the better. While everything at Ploúsios are artificial, Ptōxós still has green trees, grass that has a green color, people still have a dogs and cats. Things that makes life more real. Despite that, they fight and kill, stepping on each other to reach for that so called perfect life.

Little do they know, there is a tunnel that connects to the other continent.

A tunnel from the old modernized time.

A heritance from the human before them.

Before The Labyrinth is created.

Before people choose to live in Virtual Paradise.

A small figure dressed in black from head to toe appears, it steps into the brighter lit part and reveal the face and figure of a beautiful female. Half of her face is hidden with a mask; her long black hair was tied back into a tight pony tail. She stares at Ploúsios with her fierce almond-shaped eyes. She then turns back and looks at the red paint that is sprayed along the wall of the tunnel, made into a line from the beginning to the end.

The paint that glows in the dark, only her and a few people knows about it.

It has been two years since she started working with the line, walking across the world only to make a connection between the continents. She found the gate of the tunnel when she was seventeen, when she went looking for her missing father.

Looking at the paint shimmering in a low light, she pulls out a gadget and turns it on. The paint starts to make a slow tune of a song, giving a certain vibration through her gadget. She smiles happily, her two years of hard work is paying off.

The song is what she believes will lead human back to their life, bring her father back in her life.

“The nano chip is working, nice job girl.”

She walks into t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter