Last Minute Submission

Deadline

“… saengil chukha hamnida ♫♫♫”

The park is filled with happiness as my friends ended their song for me.

It’s my 26th birthday and my friends prepared this surprise party here at Yeouido Saetgang Eco Park. It’s just a simple picnic where we set up a blanket on a grass near a stream. I didn’t know our plan to relax and catch up will also be my mini party.

“You’re 26.” Yuri said matter-of-factly.

“I know. You don’t have to rub it in.” I said as I looked at her sternly.

“Have you forgotten what you said to us?” Tiffany asked me in disbelief.

“I- I’m not in a rush.” Suddenly I felt scared that this day has finally come.

“We’re too excited to see you in a relationship.”

“No more ‘I’m not ready.’” Sunny imitated me.

“Or ‘I’ll focus on my career first.’” Yuri joined Sunny in mimicking me.

“I remember you telling us about posting an advertisement on your Weibo account.”

“ ‘Finally, I’m 26. WANTED: Love interest. Interested applicants can comment below.’ ” Tiffany recalled as she motioned her hand writing in the air.

“I will be in a relationship,” Suddenly finding determination when they started mocking me. “Don’t underestimate me.” I said as I flipped my hair to the side, self-confidence surging through me.

“How?”

My mom told me I’m beautiful. Some says I’m gorgeous, but I really don’t know how to answer questions like this. I don’t know why at this age, I’m still single.

“You want us to call your past crushes?” Tiffany suggested.

“Or suitors?” Yuri piped in.

“Or flings.” Sunny said as they laughed and hi-fived each other.

Why do I feel that I’m being bullied here?

“No thank you. They’re all younger than me. I won’t take care of a baby.” I said cynically.

I may have a lot of admirers back then, but the fact that they are all younger than me made me reject them. Once I see them acting immature, I’m suddenly turned off and lose interest. Who would want someone acting all childish?

I once tried considering a young boy. Though he’s 2 years younger than me, he’s really smart and caring. But when we walked side by side, I felt neglected. He’s too tall that I tend to walk farther from him than risk being towered.

I feel insecure at times when it comes to height. I know I’m quite vertically-challenged, but I also don’t want someone shorter than me. I want to be secured even with just leaning my head on their shoulder, not acquire a stiff neck every time.

And one more thing: I am not after the looks per se, but I’ve always liked a person with a toned body. Not someone too buff or too skinny. 

“You know what? Why don’t you first set aside all your qualifications before venturing in search of love?” Tiffany advised.

“She’s right. Take it from her. She knows what she’s saying.” Tiffany looked threateningly to Yuri as she said this.

“Hmm. I’ll try.”

I do accept the fact that my ideal person does not exist. But who wouldn’t dream? Somewhere, somehow, there might be a person having at least 3 out of 4 of my standards.

 

~~~

 

The day passed by without us knowing. We were talking non-stop; teases, jokes, and heart-to-heart talks were exchanged. We played like we’re kids not minding the people around us.

The sun started to set and we decided to go and just eat dinner somewhere cozy. Unfortunate as I am, it’s my treat.

We are walking on the bridge when two ladies are running towards our direction. It looks like the taller one is chasing the other. We didn’t mind them and continued talking when suddenly a paper hits my face.

And just what I thought, the two ladies stopped running and looked at me as if they’re scared. I looked at them with my intense stare. Before I could demand whose fool enough not to know that the air could blow the crumpled paper away from her target, Yuri talked.

“Yoona?” She said as if recognizing the shorter of the two.

“Yuri-unnie!” The girl named Yoona jumped and hugged Yuri in an instant.

The three of us looked at them confusedly, while the taller of the two remained standing without expression but fear.

“Ehem.” I interrupted the two from hugging and I still can’t let go the fact that a paper hit me.

“Oh. This is Yoona, my uh… girlfriend.” She said shyly as he rubbed her neck.

“Sunny here.” Sunny said enthusiastically with much aegyo.

“Tiffany. Nice to finally meet you.” Shaking Yoona’s hand and projected her eye smile.

“Jessica.” I said, well, plainly. Should I introduce myself with all that?

“Unnies, annyeong! I’ve heard a lot about you from Yuri unnie.” She smiled widely.

“Join us for dinner tonight. It’s Jessica’s birthday.” The ever friendly Tiffany invited her. It’s not that I don’t want her to join us, but I just can’t bring myself to be friendly in an instant.

“Kaja,” Sunny pushed us to start walking.

As they started walking in pairs, I realized Yoona’s friend is still standing unmoved in her position, left forgotten.

“Aren’t you coming?” Heaven knows how much effort I exerted in making it sound so friendly.

She looks hesitant at first until, “Sorry.” She said slowly.

So she must be the one responsible for the paper. Feigning ignorance, “Why the sudden apology?”

“For hitting you with this crap.” She said as she picks up the trash.

“It’s alright.” What can I do? It’s not much to be annoyed. “C’mon. I’m treating everyone for dinner.”

Then the unexpected happened.

Her face lit up.

She jumped a little.

And exclaimed, “Yey!”

It’s all childish. I should’ve despised it by now. But I just hate myself for thinking the actions to be cute.

She suddenly pulled me lightly with my arm, waking me up from my internal battle. It looks like my friends walked too fast, forgetting about us completely, that we have to catch up to them. We started walking side by side awkwardly.

The moment must have been romantic if I am with someone special now. Two people walking on a bridge above a stream, enjoying the setting sun, and the wind blowing. The serene quietness of the environment makes me calm. The grass glitter from the water sprinkled to them.

“I’m Choi Soooyung by the way,” Interrupting my thoughts once again.

“Jessica.” I said coldly. I can’t believe how my mood swings change in an instant.

“Uhm… Happy birthday,” she said shyly.

“Thanks.” I know we’re just acquainted on our own but it does not hurt thanking someone who just greeted me.

The walk from the bridge to Sunny’s van seemed shorter than usual. Choi Sooyoung keeps the conversation up, though at times she pauses when I tend to be snobbish.

From my peripheral view, I observed some basic physical attributes she has. As miserable as it seems, she’s too tall for my liking and too skinny to add up to that. It’s not that I am considering her to be a prospect, but I have become accustomed to doing this. Add up the fact that I am being pressured a while ago.

But in contrast to what I would usually feel, the atmosphere is quite comfortable. Maybe it’s the environment, but I admit, the cheerfulness of Sooyoung helped a lot in this kind of mood.

 

~~~

 

We ended up eating at the nearest restaurant we saw from the park. The six of us are seated in a way that the couple is seated together, Sunny and Tiffany chose to sit across them, and I ended up beside Tiffany in front of Sooyoung.

As we ordered food, I became aware of how Yoona and Sooyoung ganged up in ordering the whole menu, if not for Yuri. And as we waited for the food to arrive I can’t help but watch Sooyoung as she kept quiet.

Rather than being awkwardly seated across the people she just had met, she’s comfortable enough to just space out, until her expression changed.

 

Her lips formed a smile – something I want to see again after this.

She clapped her hand a little as the food arrives – the action that made my heart flutter, I just can’t explain.

Her eyes sparkle as she looked at the food with interest and love – the look I wished directed to mine.

This I’m certain: I’m being possessed by something I don’t know.

 

Her attention is averted to me and said, “Thank you for the free food Jessica-unnie,” smiling wholeheartedly then started digging in.

My delusional mind suddenly broke down.

Wait, what?! I- I’m an unnie? I’m older than her?

This is unbelievable.

My mind is just playing tricks on me. Why do I even care?

 

~~~

 

The night is coming to an end, but not without having a road trip using Sunny’s van. I am the birthday girl but I don’t know why I am being pushed to the back seats. I am expecting Tiffany to sit beside me when Sooyoung beat her to it.

Shock was obviously written in my face. Though the trip is joyous; destination still unknown, the atmosphere between us is silent. I can observe that Sooyoung is uneasy on her seat.

 

~~~

 

I awoke as the door of the van opened and close. I didn’t notice I slept from all what happened this day.

My head is resting on its side and the feel is unexpectedly comfortable. Sooyoung slouched on her seat for my head to rest exactly on her shoulder. It is a gesture I didn’t leave unnoticed.

I abruptly sit up and heard a sigh from Sooyoung. I noticed that Yuri and Yoona are gone.

“Sunny-unnie is dropping us to our houses.” She voluntarily explained.

“Oh.”

Sunny dropped me off near my house. A few walk won’t harm me.

“Bye guys. Thanks for everything today,” I said as I bid them goodbye.

 

I approached the gate of my house when a hand touched my shoulder. My heart starts to beat faster as fear consumes me.

When I looked behind me, my heart wanted to beat out of my chest from the pace it is running.

“I’m sorry for scaring you. Are you alright Jessica-unnie?”

Sooyoung.

Did she follow me or what? But I don’t want to know how or why.

“Uhm.” She looked shy all of a sudden.

“---”

“I- I was just wondering if I could get your, uhm… your number?”

I looked at her confusedly.

“Uh. Just… just for reference,” ending her sentence in a questioning tone.

“---” For reference, seriously?

“NO! Uhm yeah. If you don’t mind.”

I reached out my hand to get her phone and save my number, still not saying a thing.

Actually, my mind is telling me things I don’t want to entertain.

Things I’m not sure if my mind is properly working.

Things specifically related to initiating the first step in taking a chance to know Soooyung.

 

“Jessica-unnie can we go out some other time?” she said it so fast I only catch the ‘other time’ part.

“Huh?” Finally I said something. “What other time?”

“Uhm, never mind. Thank you for the dinner again and your reference number. Happy birthday!”

She suddenly turned her back at me and hit her forehead with her palm.

 

“Sooyoung,” I called her out and faced me. “Let’s hang out this weekend.”

There I said it.

My breath hitched as she smiles from ear-to-ear.

“Really?! Yey.” She jumped for joy.

She took steps towards me and hugged me.

The feeling is too overwhelming and I don’t know how much I can take and comprehend when suddenly she kissed my cheek.

“Let’s eat out again, okay? Bye!” She waves her hand to me as she walks backwardly.

 

My birthday.

My self – inflicted deadline of being in a relationship.

And I think I found someone to end my no-relationship-since-birth life.

Reality hits me.

Perfection isn’t how much Sooyoung complies with the qualifications I set, but how she lets me feel that I don’t need those to be happy.

She’s not really my type, but she’s someone who’ll put my ideal person to shame.

And I just can’t believe that my deadline have been fulfilled without me knowing it.

And I’m glad it’ll be Sooyoung.