1

Oh Se Hun's Love Story in Three Chapters

Se Hun stares at the hands in front of him, his eyes sore from all the crying he did that evening. In his best friend’s hands was a bowl of steaming hot instant ramyeon, the aroma of which smelled like synthetic Asian spices and all-nighters spent on stupid homework. His best friend smiles sheepishly at him, and places the paper bowl on the edge of the coffee table, near him.

 

 “You’re giving me instant ramyeon after I just cried to you my break-up?” Se Hun disbelievingly says, although he’s more amused than disappointed. He gingerly takes the bowl and stirs the noodles with the dispensable chopsticks she had given him.

 

The sheepish grin is still on his best friend’s face—her pearly whites almost comparable to Chan Yeol’s famous and too-bright-for-its-own-good teeth—as she settles beside him on the floor. Her apartment was small but cozy, and on nights when Se Hun needed a slap on the face or just a shoulder to cry on, her apartment was the most comforting place of all. “Well,” she begins, taking her own bowl of instant ramyeon—it wasn’t of the spicy variety though, because she hated spicy food (which makes living in Korea even harder as spicy food was just everywhere)—and blowing on the noodles, “It’s cheap, it’s instant and it’s tasty—just what you need to get over a break-up. Although, I do realize that maybe a call girl might do as well, given the description that I just mentioned.”

 

Se Hun lightly punches her arm, almost gagging at her words. His best friend had a habit of cracking a joke during moments when it wasn’t fit. “That is not funny!” he claims, but she sees through him and his twinkling red eyes and his withheld laughter.

 

“Sure it is,” she boasts, “I am a very funny person; it’s the reason why I’m your best friend and why I’m always the first one you think of going to whenever you’re stressed over something. Don’t try to deny it,” she wags a finger at him.

 

Se Hun sticks his tongue out because he wants to deny it but can’t; she was absolutely right. They said laughter was the best medicine; if that was the case, his best friend was the best doctor anyone could ever ask for.

 

He leans his head on her shoulder; she was tall for a girl, and made the task easier for him to do. It did not look as awkward as it would with a shorter girl. “I really did like her,” he mumbles. Se Hun sniffles because of two things: one, his break-up was just too much for him to bear (it was his first one, too), and two, his best friend’s untamed, fluffy hair (in multitudes of color because she liked multitudes of color on her hair) was tickling his nose.

 

“I know you did,” she replies, “But that doesn’t mean that she’s the one for you. There are a lot of fish in the sea, Se Hun. You were just unlucky enough to buy one they caught near the shore.”

 

Se Hun whips his head up at her, trying to process her words. “That is the one of the worst metaphors I have ever heard,” he sneers.

 

She purses her lips. "...Point taken. I mean, even I didn't understand my own metaphor...But I think what I'm trying to say is, don’t think of her as a loss. You were fine long before you met her— and I am witness to that; you were so easy-going that you didn’t care if your female best friend saw you in your Pororo undies—“

 

“Oh my gahd, stahp—“

 

“—so you’ll be fine even after she’s left.”

 

Se Hun bites his lip, and ponders on her words. Of course she was right; she was corny and cracked jokes even when the situation didn’t call for it—but she was always right.

 

“Yeah, I guess I will be fine,” he says, leaning on her shoulder again. “I’ve got your horrible puns to keep my mind off of things.”

 

She claps her hands in approval, and shakes Se Hun off her shoulder. “That’s great. In that case, I shall commence my delivery of my puns—which are not horrible, by the way. You only think they are because you’re jealous of the fact that I am a lean mean pun-making machine and you aren’t. Now, what pun shall I say first?”

 

Se Hun chuckles in amusement, “I see you won’t have a hard time coping with your first break-up.”

 

She smirks at him, “Of course, I won’t. Because one, I am not interested in men, and two, should the day come that I do take an interest in men but end up with a broken heart, I have myself to tell puns and jokes to well, myself.”

 

“You won’t go to me?” he says, showing faux pain.

 

“Of course I would; your mother makes the best pudding in town. And you owe me far too many instant ramyeon and ice cream to even call it a debt. Now, where was I? Did you hear about the…”

 

Se Hun smiles to himself, the first of many horrendously corny puns making its way into his ears. Everything was going to be just fine. 

 


 

Author's Note: 

Hello, it's me with a brand new story! Obviously, this one's going to be short and sweet; in fact, I'm almost done with the final chapter! 

I hope you enjoy this ficlet of mine! 

I look forward to reading your comments!