Final

Hard to Love, How to Love

Junhyung’s P.O.V.

Whoever knew that I would end up here? Walking slowly in between these plain, white walls as doctors and nurses hurried past me, burying themselves with their own work. I went up to the front desk and before I could pop my question, the nurse at the counter asked whom I was visiting. Without removing her eyes from her work, it’s as if she could feel my presence as I stood there. I stumbled with my words, “Erm… I’m here to see… erm… Jang Hyunseung…”

 

Her eyes shifted from her papers to the screen as she typed his name. After a minute, she said, “Ward 13, Bed 7. Down this hall and turn right, it’s the last ward at the end.” I mumbled a word of thanks as I proceeded down the hallway. Jang Hyunseung, a mutual friend whom I admired… I mean loved… he had lots of talents, being able to sing so beautifully when no one else is around (except me). But what happened on that fateful day was unexplainable. He had fainted in toilet but luckily; he managed to call for help before passing out. There was nothing I could do, or even register into my mind as I saw the passers-by carry him in the direction of the medical centre. I was simply stunned and shocked as they carried him past me, his hand brushing against mine, his eyes limiting his vision, and his body limp from exhaustion. The diagnosis later reported that he had low red blood cell count and had to be warded at the hospital.

 

Unknowingly, I was awaken from my trance by a dear old lady, dressed in the standard plain, white patient clothing, standing at the doorway blocking my path, “Excuse me are you alright?”

 

“Ah yes! Sorry about that…” I spoke with an element of surprise as I stepped aside for her to pass. Who would have known that my heart would lead me to you? I walked into the ward, eyes rapidly searching for your bed number when a peaceful sleeping figure caught the corner of my eye. I smiled to myself as I slowly approached your bed, whipping out my hand phone in process to snap that fine shot of you. Pleased with the photo I had taken, I’d decided to take a seat on the stool beside your bed. It was dinnertime, and you had yet to wake up, the meal trolley came along and a kind, caring nurse smiled at me as she deposited your dinner for the day on the table.

 

A short while later, you slowly stirred from your sweet dreams as your eyes opened and spotted me. You were rather surprised seeing me; your eyes lit up like diamonds in the sky, your mouth formed an O-shaped, and your body quickly sat up straight, only to groan later on at the fast movement that you’ve executed to sit up straight. “Yah! You feeling alright?” I asked worriedly and quickly went forward to prop up the pillow behind your back.

 

“Ah… I’m fine,” you waved it off casually, “oh… dinner’s here.” Your hands trembled as you picked up the spoon.

 

“Let me help you,” I said as I removed the spoon from your hand and scooped a sizeable amount of rice and placed it in front of your mouth. You didn’t budge at first till I nudged your leg. You abided by my actions and opened your mouth to chew slowly on the rice. You ate your meal obediently as the silence surrounded us as if both of us were in our own world.

 

“What’s in the bag?” you asked after finishing up the last scoop of food.

 

“Ah… this?” I gestured to the black plastic bag that I had brought along with me, “It’s just some fruit that I bought along the way from the provision shop. Let me cut them for you.” I picked up the bag of fruit and went to the pantry.

 

As I was cutting the fruit, a familiar voice startled me to drop the knife onto the floor, “You like him don’t you?” It was the elderly woman from earlier on. I was too surprised to answer that I could only nod.

 

“Don’t delay and make him wait too long. He’s been mumbling ‘I love you’ in his sleep,” the dear old lady giggled before carrying on, “Fighting!” and she left giggling along the way. I picked up the knife and carried on with what I was doing earlier.

 

I laughed to myself, thinking about the elderly woman’s funny words as I strode into your ward with the bowl of fruit. “What’re you smiling at?” you asked.

 

“I’m smiling because of you,” I replied cheerfully as I popped a strawberry into my mouth. You bent forward and took a quick peek into the fruit bowl. After that, you showed a disgusted face and crossed your arms across your chest, clearly signalling that you are picky with the type of fruit you eat.

 

Knowing that you’ll act like this, I came prepared with a script in my mind, “What did the doctor say you’re suffering from?”

 

“Malnutrition,” you murmured. So I picked up a slice of apple and pressed it against your lips. But your lips refused to part and allow the fruit to enter. You sulked when I did that.

 

“Hmm… how about this?” I put the fruit into my mouth and slowly leaned close to your face.

 

“W-What a-are y-you t-trying t-to d-do?” you stuttered as I inched closer. Latching my lips fully onto yours as I passed the apple from my mouth to yours, I could feel the heat radiating from your cheeks. The widening of your eyes showed that you were clearly shocked by my actions but they closed slowly as you enjoyed the kiss. As we parted, you felt flustered and embarrassed that you covered yourself with the blanket.

 

I laughed away at your action but you told me to go away. “Haha okay. Remember to eat the fruit if not I’ll feed you.” Upon hearing this, you jerked up and yelled at me to go away.

 

I went up and gently placed a kiss on your forehead, “I’ll come and pick you up tomorrow after you’re discharged.”