1

Sunny Days

Taeyeon relaxes in a lifeguard chair as she gazes out at the happy families and couples. Shrieks and laughter could be heard accompanied with the occasional splashing of water.

Another sunny day, another hectic one. She thinks.

She notices a short child not more than 7 years old trip and start to wail. Taeyeon quickly grabs the first-aid kit and runs towards the boy.

"Are you okay?" She asks as she nears him.

He looks up to her with tears streaming down both his cheeks. He shakes his head and wraps his hand around the wound.

Taeyeon kneels next to him and gently nudges his hand out of the way. The boy's grip on his knee tightens and he doesn't let her treat it.

She looks up at the boy. "It's okay. We need to take a look at it for me to be able to make it better, right?"

He looks at her still sniffling.

Taeyeon opens the kit and slowly takes items out one by one while naming them. "I have some band-aids, a wipe, and some alcohol to make it stop hurting."

Drops of red liquid slide down the boy's calves.

"My name is Taeyeon. You can call me noona, okay? What's your name?"

He takes his free hand and wipes his tears away. "Ju-Junho."

Taeyeon taps the hand that is still covering his injured knee. "How did you get this wound?"

He thinks for a while and then turns around while pointing at a jagged rock accusingly. "That stupid rock hurt me."

Taeyeon smiles at his childishness.

"You can't call the rock stupid for sitting there."

"So are you calling me stupid?"

"I'm not. I'm telling you that you shouldn't call a rock stupid. You tripped and it was your mistake, don't be a child."

Junho huffs and crosses his arms, completely forgetting that he hurt himself before. "I'm not a kid."

Taeyeon takes this chance and pours alcohol over his wound and then dabs it quickly. He flinches and yells.

"Noona! You said you were going to help me!"

"I am helping you. We need to clean this so it won't get an infection." She opens up a canister of cartoon band-aids. "So, Junho. If you're not a kid then what are you?"

Junho raises his chin and closes his eyes at Taeyeon. "I'm a man."

Taeyeon raises an eyebrow at him. "Oh? Then own up to your mistake of tripping. It's not the rock's fault, it was just that you ran too fast and the ground did not have enough time to adjust to the speed you were going and accidentally pulled you down using gravity instead. You'll be a man if you do that."

She held out the canister to allow him to pick a band-aid to his taste.

He peeks open an eye then sorts through the band-aids like it was a daily routine. "Fine. It was my fault. I am a man so I will own up to my mistake."

He slides a bandaid out and takes out the wax paper that sticks to the adhesive part then covers his wound confidently.

"Thank you, noona." He stands up with the help of Taeyeon and shakes her hand. She smiles at his innocence and ruffles his hair.

"Remember to tell me if anyone needs help, alright?"

He nods then turns and limps to his family who was oblivious to all the events that had just occurred to Junho.

Taeyeon looks at the canister again and snickers. He had chosen the mickey mouse band-aid. She turns and walks back towards her post but before she could climb on the chair, a woman comes running towards her with lightning speed.

"Help! There's a girl drowning over there! I think she's gotten a cramp while swimming and she's drowning! You've got to get to her!" The woman yells while frantically waving her arms at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon widens her eyes at the new information and quickly grabs her foam float. She follows the woman who is now running back towards where she spotted the drowning girl. Taeyeon's foot achieved a near miss as it steps one inch to the side of a towel-covered hole that someone had dug as a prank for passerbys.

Taeyeon unclips a walkie talkie from her waist, presses a button, and speaks into it.

"There's someone drowning farther down point A. I'm going for them."

"Are you crazy?! You're going to lose your job! Get back here this instant."

She hears her boss's voice call back to her.

"No. I am not letting her drown."

She then clutches the device tighter and focuses on the lady who is leading her.

"Taeyeon. Can you hear me? Keep going. Don't stop. At all costs, save the person."

A new voice is heard as her close friend and coworker supports her decision.

Her peripheral vision catches sight of a sign as she runs.

Notice:

Swimmers swim at their own risk beyond this point.

She knows that she isn't allowed to patrol past the sign. She does not care.

I can get fired for this. She thinks. Oh well...

Her speed increases as she spots a blonde girl who is frantically splashing around in the water searching for help. A man is swimming his way towards her but he is only a fourth of the way. Taeyeon throws the walkie talkie somewhere to the side.

Adrenaline pumps through her and without a second thought, Taeyeon slides her t-shirt over her head while running into the water. When she reaches a point where the shallow area ends, she starts swimming with perfect posture as she had trained for years. She easily surpasses the man that was attempting to help the drowning girl.

Taeyeon pulls the floatation device towards the drowning girl and wraps her left arm around the girl's waist.

"Hold onto this." Taeyeon manages between breaths. The girl grabs on and shakily lolls her head onto Taeyeon's shoulder.

"Thank... you." She sputters. She coughs water out of her lungs.

When they reach the shore, people around them clap while Taeyeon just pushes them away.

"Space. I need space." She demands. The people follow her instructions and back away.

She then lays the girl on the sand and holds the latter upright.

After a while the girl regains stability and her dazed face turns into a goofy smile. "Thanks."

"My job." Taeyeon shortly says. She had many meanings to those two said words. I lost my job today. It's my job to save people.

Taeyeon then stands and grabs her walkie talkie. She then picks up her white shirt and shakes off excess sand.

"I'm Sunny!" The girl she had just saved shouted to Taeyeon. "Thank you for saving my life!"

Taeyeon gives an acknowledging nod and walks away. The crowd chattered and praised Taeyeon's efficiency.

"Kim Taeyeon. I would like to see you in my office this instant." A stern voice calls out among the cheers of praise.

Voices die down and all is quiet other than distant conversation, traffic noises, and the sound of waves crashing onto shore.

Taeyeon could feel dozens of eyes on her back while she trudges up the sandy slope and into the lifeguard manager's office which was a small, wooden cabin. She could vouch that the office was 20° above the average temperature outside.

"Did you know what you just did?" Taeyeon's manager asks her.

She clicks her tongue. "I would say save a life... But I am pretty sure that is a rhetorical question. So I'll just shut my mouth and let you continue."

"I don't like your attitude, Taeyeon." He says warningly.

"I don't like your managing, manager." She retorts.

He throws his hands up from the crossed position over his chest, exasperated.

"That's it. I was going to defend you to the company, but there is no helping you. You cannot even acknowledge your mistake. How can you repent? You're fired Kim Taeyeon!"

Taeyeon was beyond fed up at this point. "You can't fire me. I have already quit. When I stepped out of the boundaries, I made a decision. I would trade my job for a human life. I don't regret it."

She heads towards the door, but before she steps outside her manager speaks up.

"If only we could turn back time I would have stopped you. You are one of my best employees!"

"If we could turn back time... I would do nothing differently." She throws the words over her shoulders as she shuts the door on her ex-manager.

 


 

Good? Yes? First fanfic time! :] Thanks for reading. Next update coming soon!