1/1

When's the last time you sneezed?

 


   The wind blew hard against my thick coat that day. Winter is coming yet the snow has not yet fall. I tightened my coat around my body as I walk towards my usual quiet place; a small coffee shop around the corner. I opened the door, hearing the familiar ring of the bell and the shout of welcome from the worker. I smiled to one of the worker there, luhan, and made my order. I've always liked this place. It's warm and cozy and I've never seen this place crowded so the quiet aura is comfortable.

I made my way to my usual spot on the corner, rubbing my cold hands together in attempt to make it warm up a little. I kept looking down on my shoe clacking on the wooden floor as I reached the final step to my spot. 

Something's different on the floor near my usual table

A pair of shoes?

I looked up to see a beautiful stranger sitting on my usual spot comfortably with a book in his hand, looking back at me. He has pale skin, warm brown eyes, and matching hair color. It's almost weird how the stranger took my breath away without really doing anything and it's scary how I can feel him pulling me to his very visible charm. But I just cant help but feel my heart skipped a beat when the stranger smile a little.

"Yes?" The boy said

I widened my eyes, surprised when I realized I've been staring at the boy in front of me. I shook my head quickly and bowed slightly to him before taking the table next to it.

I tripped slightly but managed to land safely on my foot. The pale boy just blinked at me with a straight face.

Oh god. That was embarrassing.

"Kai! Your order is ready!"

Luhan! My hero!

I stood up to get my coffee and scones, my head hung low trying to avoid any eye contact with the beautiful boy, and carefully walk to the counter so I won't tripped again. And as I got back to my seat, the boy stared at me and said

"Hey, when's the last time you sneeze?"

Surprised at his action, I just blinked and told him I don't remember. The boy just nodded and turned back to his book.


The next day turned out to be pretty similar,  without any tripping ofcourse. I stole glances at him and turned my head back to my own book.


It went on for a week, appearantly, the coffee shop had become sehun's fav spot too. (I purposely went early one day so I get to hear his name being called out when his order is ready)

One day I went there, secretly eager to see the boy. But to my disappointment, he wasn't there. Frowning a little, I made my order and took sehun's usual spot

I was staring out of the window when the first snow fell. I smiled, thinking how great it would be if sehun's here to see.

 

The next day, I went to the hospital to check on luhan. Appearantly, the little boy got into a little accident and broke his leg. I was in a room with him and his boyfriend, kris. Luhan was whining to his boyfriend about his leg, and somehow the couple got into a cuddling session. It was the time where I think I should be going, so I did. I said my goodbye to both of them, and walk away from the room.

I adjust my coat after I closed the door behind me. Just as I fix my beanie, my eyes fell on the pale boy on the nurse table. I just blinked when he stared back at me, also blinking.

I don't know how it started but the boy was actually walking towards me and I started to panic inside

I re-adjusted my entire outfit and when I looked up, sehun was already standing in front of me.

 

"When's the last time you sneeze?"

 

I kept silent for a while before blinking twice.

"Uh.. Umm, I don't know.. I can't remember"

Sehun just shrugged and turned his heel to walk away

 

 

The next day, we started to talk at the coffee shop and get to know each other. We both like books. I learned that sehun's parents doesn't support the fact that sehun is an adventurer that's why they gave sehun lots of books as the window to the rest of the world.

"I don't really mind.. The way my parents deny all those request I made to go to places, somehow I know that they don't really mean to make their son caged.. I can see they're just worried" sehun said while playing with his napkin.

I took one of our shared French fries and put it into my mouth

"Yeah.. I envy you tho. My parents are waay to ignorant"

Sehun just laughed and sipped his coffee.

"Kai?"

I hummed at him as a signal that I was listening while chewing on my fries

"When's the last time you sneeze?"

"Hmm, I don't know.. I'll let you know when I remember"

We ended up exchanging phone number. And since then, we both became great friends.

Before I knew it, winter has ended. But it's still cold as f.ck so I decided to stop at the nearest supermarket to buy some ingridient so I can make some delicious soup at sehun's place. I pushed my trolley around the supermarket, looking around to see if the stuff I need is around. Suddenly, I saw a person sneezed. Speaking of sneezing, sehun has been asking me when's the last time I sneeze. This bugged me even when he's not around. 


And then I sneezed.


I have this urge to call sehun immediately and tell him I sneezed. So I did. I took my phone out and dialed sehun's number.

"Sehun?"

"Yes?" I heard sehun's cheerful voice. I can hear some laughter on the background so I assume he's watching cartoons again.

"Uhh, I'm at the supermarket right now. I'm going to make some soup at your place. I'll be there in an hour, ok?"

"Kay Kay" sehun said before he laughed at something on the tv

"Oh, and sehun? I... Umm, I sneezed"

I can sense he's smiling on the other line. He stopped breathing for a while before answering in this somehow softer voice
"Good to hear"

"Cool. Ok. Bye then." I hung up quickly. Rushing to get my needed ingredients while trying to calm my beating heart.


After we ate my delicious second cooked soup with sehun and his parents (after sehun knocked over and spilled the first one while fooling around) we decided to watch a movie together in his room. We were watching finding nemo while cuddling on sehun's sofa.

"Kai, what's your favorite book?"
Sehun said while playing with my fingers.

"Hm, let me think... There's a lot really... What's yours?" I smiled at him. God he's cute. 

"I like 'little girl with blue ribbon'. Do you know why?"

"Why, sehun?"

"Because there's a scene where the girl play on a dandelion field. ....i like dandelion" sehun said while smiling. I hummed, still smiling softly. 

"Hey, Kai? I kinda like you..."

My heart skipped a beat when I heard those words come out of his mouth. but i was so happy in the same time. so i leaned to his ear before whispering 

"I kinda like you too"

I can see he was about to fall asleep. And when he did, his mother came in from the half closed door, surprising me a little.

"Jongin? Could you take him to a dandelion field? I never allowed him to go to such a place before... But we can trust you, right?" His mother said with tears in her eyes. I blinked at his mother, confused at the situation but decided to nod slowly at her thinking maybe she was guilty for caging his son. In which she just smiled, eyed both me and sehun in my arms, and walked out of the room again.


And so to keep my promise, I planned to give sehun a surprise and take him to a dandelion field on the weekend. I tied a piece of cloth around his eyes, and I drove away to the dandelion field. Sehun kept asking me where we're going but I just kissed his cheek and laughed at him. As we got out from the car, I lead him to the place, fooling and laughing around on our way.

I stood him still when I got him to stand right in front of the field. I leaned in to his ear and whispered

"Surprise"

I took off the blindfold around his head and watch as his eyes widened in happiness. Sehun turned around at me with a surprise slash happy expression on his face and jumped on me

"You don't know how much I love you right now"

I laughed at him and kissed his cheek before pulling him into the dandelion field. We fooled around for about an hour. Running around on the field, blowing on the flowers, and took several pictures with my Polaroid.

 The wind was blowing, sehun looked back at me with a smile on his face, his hand reaching out for me, as I snapped the perfect view in front of me; sehun. 

That time reminds me of the first day we met, and that's when I realized he really is beautiful.

We decided to take a rest under a tree on a hill near the field. I leaned on the tree while sehun was sitting between my legs, leaning his head on my chest. My arms wrapped securely around sehun and sehun was playing with my fingers

"Kai?"

"Yes, angel?"

Sehun laughed at the nickname and nudge me playfully and I just chuckled. He leaned back on my chest and sighed

"Do you know what's behind 'when's the last time you sneeze?'?"

"I've been wondering since the first time I met you..." 

Sehun chuckled 

"It was a trick to make someone think of you even whe you're not around... I read it somewhere on the Internet" I just blinked at that, and realization hits me hard. I smacked him playfully and laughed

"You brat!"

"Oww.. Hahaha so, did my trick work?" Sehun leaned his head to looked at me. I smiled and kissed his forehead

"You have no idea.." Sehun smiled and leaned his head back again. 

"I love this moment... I wish I'd have another one of this moment years from now with my children... I want twins.."
He stopped moving so I assumed he fell asleep. So I just let him be as I stare up the sky.

How wrong i was back then.

I shook his body softly when the sky became dark, signaling it was about to rain

"Sehun... Sehun, wake up"

......

"Sehun, angel, come on... It's going to rain soon"

.....
No answer.

"Sehun... This isn't funny..."

Still no answer.

"Sehun!!" I became panic, I shook his body violently but there's still no answer. I feel his forehead with the back of my hand and I was terrified when I feel his body was burning. I quickly carried him back to my car and headed straight to the nearest hospital. I called his parents informing the situation and I can hear they're also panicking.

I parked the car on an empty lot quickly and carried sehun to the emergency section "SOMEBODY GET A DOCTOR" I yelled and everyone's attention fell on me. I don't care about them. Some nurse came to me with a hospital bed, I put sehun on it and they tried to get sehun to another room. One of the nurse told me I couldn't come in with him

"Sir, stay calm. We got this."

That's when I snapped at her

"DONT YOU DARE TELL ME TO STAY ING CALM THIS IS NOT A MOMENT WHERE YOU CAN STAY CALM WHEN YOUR LOVER IS NOT ING OKAY. DONT TELL ME HE'S OKAY BECAUSE I KNOW HE'S NOT YOU IN BI--"

"JONGIN THATS ENOUGH"

I heard sehun's mom's voice, she sounds as panick as I was. She then grabbed my face, forcing me to look at her with my red angry face.

"Jongin dear, acting like that won't help anything okay? Just try your best to stay calm... I know sehun is not okay but I can assure you he'd be alive the next time you see him, okay? He's a member of oh family. He'll live long."

I can feel myself started to calm down as I hear sehun's mother's voice. She patted my cheek, smiled at me, and turn to find his husband. I can see her crying. I know she's worried about her only child.

I dropped my self on one of the chairs, and put my head in my hands. Trying to assure myself that I'm going to see sehun warm and alive.

"He's okay... He's okay..."

Hours has passed. I've been waiting in front of sehun's room. Pacing back and forth on the hallway. His parents are inside with the doctor, his mom said she'll talk to me later. I said okay but it's been an hour since they got in there but none of them came out.

So I waited another 30 minutes.

When sehun's parents came out, I snapped my head up. But his mother told me to sit back down. And when I did, she sat next to me.

It was silent for awhile. But then she started speaking with her eyes glued on the floor

"Sehun has been having this illness since he was young. That's why I had to think twice before letting him wonder around so far. I'm afraid that when the time comes, he'd be alone and lost."

I stared at her, confused. 

"Wait, what do you mean los- ....what kind of illness?"

Sehun's mom looked up at him, a drop of tear rolled down her cheek

"He's muted now... It's the kind of illness that would take his ability one by one, and when the day comes, it'll take his life..."

I was in shock. This can't be happening. No, no, this can't be. Without realizing it, I was crying silently.

"Jonginah.. P-please.. Make his life worth living for..." She said between hiccups

I just hugged her and nodded, too lost for words. I made my way to sehun's room to see him staring blankly out the window. When he heard me coming in, he looked up. 

We stared at eachother. I can see sehun's trying to say something. But he can't. He has been muted. So a tear rolled down instead. 

I walked to the bed, climbing up, and cuddles him.

"You don't have to say anything..."

I kissed his forehead and carressed his head as he sobbed to my chest.

 

-----


I pushed sehun's wheelchair inside our usual coffee shop. Luhan greeted us as cheerfully as he can. He played with sehun for a while but sehun was a bit confused on where to face his face. So luhan grabbed his face gently with a smile and said softly,

"I'm right here, baby boy..."

Sehun smiled and reach out to luhan's face, feeling luhan's feature as to make sure it was really luhan

After a while, i said our order and took our usual place on the corner. Sehun snuggles close to me with a blanket around him as I wrapped my arm protectively. Sehun has lost his ability of seeing and walking. He can only hear and feel around with his hands.

Luhan sat next to me just after sehun fell asleep on my arms. He stared at sehun for a moment before patting my shoulder in sympathy. I noded and smile a little in reply, hiding the pain in my heart, the fear of being left behind.


------

 

Weeks had passed, I've been visiting the hospital way too often but I don't mind. I came into sehun's room, greeted by all of those beeping from the machine hooked on sehun's fragile body. I put my stuff next to the couch and made my way to sehun's bed.

I sat on the chair next to sehun, put some dandelions next to him, and proceed to hold his hands.

Sehun can no longer speak, see, hear, or even move. Basically, sehun was stuck inside his body.  So I just sat there, and sighed deeply before i told him how my day was cheerfully. Not caring that he can't even respond to any of it. Let alone respond, I know he can't really hear.


---------

 


I stood there with everybody, wearing a black buttoned up shirt. I'm holding a bunch of dandelions on my right hand, and the Polaroid picture I took of him that day. I stood there with my emptiest expression ever. It has been a year since that day I came to this hill with oh sehun.

When everyone else had gone, I kneeled next to the tomb stone and put the flowers and picture next to it. And then I smiled slightly.

"....hi angel.. Aren't you happy we decided to place you on the hill next to the big tree? I hope you are... I assured them to get you the nicest view which is the dandelion field.."

I chuckled softly before continuing my speech

"Remember when we were playing on the field? I think it was the best time I've ever had... That time, I think you're the most beautiful human being ever. If dandelions make you happy, You're like, my personal dandelion field... And, you know? I always thought youre kinda weird ahah... I wish I can say this when you're still breathing but,.."

I sighed. Looking around as the wind blows some of the dandelions. And then I smiled. 

"I love you oh sehun"

I stood up, and started to walk away. I turned around for the last time and said "I'll surely remember you everytime I sneeze" before I chuckled lightly

After I climbed down the hill, I saw a bench, near the dandelion field. I decided to sit there and clear my mind. I just stare blankly at the field for a while. How am I going to live my life after this? How can I go on to the future when half of me is left in the past? Trains of thought has filled my mind But then I feel someone's present next to me. I knew who that was.

 

"You lied...."

I wasn't really planning on it, but tears kept on rolling on my cheeks after the words came out

"You said he'll live long.... You lied..."

Sehun's mother hugged me and I just sobbed on her shoulder


--------

 


"...Hi again, angel.. It's been a year, huh? Although I visited you every year, it feels like it's been very long everytime I do.." I sat down slowly, fearing that it might crack my bone if I do it carelessly. I leaned on the tombstone and sighed

....


"I'm 71 now... I know it's kinda late, but I have to tell you this... I adopted a son, Im sorry i can't find twins.. Thankfully, myungsoo didn't mind getting raised by a single father... He's married now. And i thought this might make you feel happy, he and his wife had twins... See? They're playing on the dandelion field now.." I chuckled slightly as I see the twins fell on top of eachother and their parents are laughing. I sighed again, and kissed the tombstone.

"I always thought myungsoo is our son..." With that, I stood up and joined my son's family on the field.
I looked up to the hill and I dropped my tears as i see the tombstone.

A figure of a beautiful young boy, with pale skin, brown eyes, and matching hair color, was sitting down while hugging his legs loosely, leaning on his side on the tombstone. he smiled as he waved down at me.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------------

-comments are appreciated :D ((minor edits))