Shock

Stop, Just Stop

Lee POV:

 

I’m Lee, I've finally turned eighteen today and trust me this birthday is nothing different from the last seventeen and again I've been told to stay home. My family never really went out to do things together when I was younger. We all took up our own hobbies while staying confined in our big, quiet house. My father has always been strict on us staying home, but since I've gotten older, I've taken it upon myself to get out more. With all the pressure to stay trapped in the house I sometimes I feel like they have been hiding something from me, but I'm not quite sure what it is. All I know is I don't want to sit in my room staring at the wall on my birthday, I should be out having fun. Is the world outside our doorstep that frightening to them? I am an adult now for geez sake, I just don't get it.

 

 

I came running down the stairs to the sound of screaming and yelling. I froze momentarily in shock, I watched as they manhandled my mother like a rag doll. Who are they and why are they hurting my family!? Moving as quick as I could I huddled under the desk, wondering what I can do before my mother is beaten to death. Shock still had a hold of my mind and body as I sat motionless, shielding my eyes and covering my ears to the piercing sound of my mother’s scream. The men finally stopped and turned as they heard my squeamish cry, seeking me out, one crouched down in front of me and whispered, “Don’t worry, we’ll be back for you darling.”

 

As they all left quickly, I gathered myself and ran toward my mother’s broken body lying on the floor.

 

“Mom, please wake up? Come on, open your eyes!” But she was dead.

 

As tears started to pour down my cheeks, I grabbed my mother’s limp hand to place a gentle kiss, when I realized a card had fallen underneath her arm and it read, “Wiheom.” It means danger, I think.

 

I stuff the card in my pocket and said my last goodbyes to my mother, as I left frantically to find my father.

 

 

I ran into the back door of my father’s convenience store to find the place had been ransacked and my father missing. Why is this happening, first my mother and now my father. Who were those men?

 

These questions repeatedly drowned my thoughts, as I tried to process everything I've witnessed and what to do next. I’m alone, confused, and scared.

 

After a few minutes of continuous tears, I pulled myself together to find a note attached to a recorder. I played it and heard my father’s pleading voice, “Lee do not be afraid! Protect yourself. Find the emergency bag and get somewhere safe.”

 

Suddenly his words cut out and a deep voice appeared, “We’re coming.”

 

I stopped the recorder to see the same card as what I had recently shoved in my pocket had also been left on the counter.

 

So the men hurting my family and now out to find me were a gang called, Wiheom.

 

 

As I ran back home, I passed my mother’s body still lifeless on the floor. Trying to hold back the hurt, I continued on to find the bag my father spoke of. Every inch of our home had been torn through and destroyed. Finding my way through the broken derby and retrieving the bag, I quickly headed back toward the door when suddenly I saw the outlining of a tall shadow standing in the door frame… it was Kris, my boyfriend.

 

 

“Hey babe, happy bir- *silent pause* Lee is that you, what the hell happened?!” Kris yells as he ran to embrace me.

 

Just being in his arms and feeling his warmth gave me a sense of calmness.

 

“Kris, I can’t explain right now. We just have to get away from here. Please!”

 

He just stood there and looked at me for a moment.

 

“Okay, let’s go.” He said, as he intertwines his fingers in mine and motioned me out the door.

 

 

We finally arrive at Kris’s apartment as Kris sat me down, “Are you hurt anywhere?” He said.

 

“Well no I’m fine, just exhausted and confused.”

 

“Please tell me what is going on. Why is your mother dead and your home destroyed?” He urged.

 

“I don’t really know myself, but apparently a gang called Wiheom is after my family. They killed my mother and kidnapped my father. They left a message that said they’re coming for me next.”

 

“What, what do you mean coming for you? I won’t let anyone hurt you!” Kris said in a deep fierce tone as he grabbed my hands.

 

I sat there silent as terrifying thoughts ran through my head. What if they try to hurt Kris too? I cannot let anything happen to him, him and my father are all I have left.

 

“Okay, I won’t let anything happen to you either.” I mumbled, deeply enduring the consequences of my words.

 

This means I have to leave Kris, it’s the only way to keep him safe.

 

 

I slowly opened my eyes to look around. I feel muscular arms embracing me in their warmth. Ah there’s that calm feeling again, I don’t want it to end. I feel safe.

 

Kris turns his head as he pushes the loose hairs away from my face, “Good morning beautiful.” He whispers into my ear, then places a soft kiss on my cheek.

 

I miss him already. The thought of leaving him is painful, this is the guy I’ve been in love with for 4 years.

 

 

We were sitting on the couch side by side discussing everything that had taken place. I was about to unwillingly tell him that I have to leave him, when suddenly someone beat me to it.

 

A loud bang on the door startled us as Kris sprang from his seat and looked at me. We locked arms as we walked toward the door, as I looked out the peep hole I saw five giant men waiting for an answer.

 

Panicking, I looked at Kris, “I recognize three of those men. They beat my mother.”

 

His eyes widened as he grabbed my hand tightly and quickly pulled me through the house to his bedroom.

 

“Get under the bed and don’t come out until I say!” He said in a persisting tone.

 

Kris loaded a small gun and left the room.

 

 

Kris POV:

 

“Hello, do you need something?”

 

“Yes, do you have any relations with a young girl named Lee?” One man mumbled as he held up a picture of her. 

 

“No, I don’t know who you’re talking about. Sorry.” I said, shutting the door, when a foot catches it.

 

“Yes?” I said in an agitated reply.

 

“Let us come in and then we’ll leave.” A broad chested man said as they start stepping through the door.

 

“Why would I let strangers in?” *pushing them back*

 

“Oh we’re not strangers, we know exactly who you are, now MOVE ASIDE.” Said the broad chested man said, now infuriated.

 

...

 

I watched them closely as they made their way closer to my room. Walking in I’m hesitant as to what they’re about to do.

 

Before I have the chance to react, I’m held down by two men as the others dragged Lee out from underneath the bed. As they forced her out, she tried to fight back but the men were too big. She’s struggling and so am I, but I have to protect her, I have to.

 

Taking down the two men restraining me, I ran out behind their trail and pulled my gun, shooting all three men in the back of their leg, as they dropped instantly. Lee broke free as she grabbed her father’s bag and we ran out the door, leaving everything else behind.

 

 

Lee POV:

 

We finally stopped running when we reached a vacant alley.

 

“Kris, are you okay? Did they hurt you?”

 

“No, they didn’t hurt me, but you’re hurt. I’m sorry, I said I was going to protect you and I didn’t. Those men weren’t what I had expected. I’ll do better, I promise.” Kris said as he kissed my forehead and wiped the blood from my brow.

 

He pulls me closer back into his embracing warmth as I closed my eyes, resting my head on his chest.

 

“I love you.” He says as he places a gentle kiss upon my lips.

 

“I love you too Kris, but there’s something I need to tell you.” I mumbled as I hugged him tighter.

 

“Okay, what is it?” He said in his soft tone.

 

“Kris, I...” I paused for a moment as I build up the courage to speak.

 

“Kris, I know you don’t fully understand what is going on, neither do I but I’ve lost my mother and have no clue where my father is. They’re coming back for me and the incident that just took place was cutting it to close.” I stopped again, before the words escaped my mouth faster than I ever expected.

 

“Kris I’m leaving you!” I shouted and watched the bleak look on his face slowly turn to a look of anger and confusion.

 

 

“What do you mean you’re leaving me Lee?!” Kris exclaims.

 

“I told you I’ll protect you. I know what I’m up against now and I’ll keep you safe.” He cries out again.

 

“Kris please calm down and listen to me. You have no idea how painful it is for me to be saying this, but I can’t lose you too, I just can’t!”

 

“If we both part ways and get somewhere safe, I can locate my father and figure everything out. When it’s safe again, I’ll come back to find you. That’s a promise. Please, you have to go somewhere safe and trust me.” I said as I grabbed his shaking hand.

 

“Kris, listen to me. You have to, okay? The last thing I want to do is leave you, but if we’re together that means they’ll try to hurt you too.”

 

Moments passed when I started to get a feeling we’re not alone. Kris heard it too, scouting out all sides of us. Suddenly, Kris got pulled from my grasp as I got pulled from his. I started to scream watching Kris fight back, as I screamed louder one man held a towel over my mouth as my eyes slowly started to shut and my body hit the cold ground.

 

 

I opened my eyes in a panic when I realized I passed out. My hands and feet are tied to a chair and my mouth covered with a strip of duct tape.

 

Where am I? I know they found us, but where did they take us? More importantly, where’s Kris!?

 

It seems we’re in giant storage area, it’s so big and dimly lit. I started to panic when I couldn’t see Kris. Trying to slip my wrists out, I only felt the rope scraping them. I looked around the room again, when I saw someone moving in the corner.

 

“Kris, are you okay?”

 

“I’m so sorry Lee.” A raspy voice muffled as they scooted out from the shadows.

 

It was my father!

 

“Father, is that really you?!”

 

“Yes, but don’t trust them for a second! They’re going to kill me any moment. I’m so sorry my past mistakes have led to endangering my family. I am truly sorry my daughter, but I just don’t have the strength to fight them anymore. Please forgive me.” He said as he slowly lied back down on the ground.

 

“No please, get up father!” I yelled, when suddenly a group of men entered with terrifying smirks on their face.

 

Two more traced behind them, carrying Kris.

 

 

“Kris!” I thought to myself.

 

One man walked over and ripped the tape from my mouth. I took a second to regain the feeling in my lips before I fiercely shouted, “What have you done to my family you monsters!”

 

“Oh she wants to yell at us now. Well nothing goes right when you yell at us.” One man said in a sly tone as he pointed his gun toward my father… and shot him.

 

Just like that my father was gone. All I could do was watch, as yet another someone I love dies in front of me. I can do nothing but remain silent and clinch my fists.

 

 

“Why are you doing this?” I said, as looked into the man’s bloodshot eyes.

 

“Your father took something important to us. Now it’s our turn to take what is important to him. He’s gone, your mother is gone, now all that remains is you.” The tallest man said, as he brought Kris in front of me. “And him, but not for long.”

 

“Please don’t hurt him, he had nothing to do with why you’re after me! Let him go and I’ll do what you want.” I pleaded.

 

“Now we’re taking what is important to you.” One man sneered.

 

 

Kris and I locked eyes, as I tried to figure out what he’s thinking. I can’t fight back while tied to this chair and Kris can’t take all these men on alone. Before I knew it, Kris let out a loud scream and started to retaliate.

 

After struggling, I managed to get one hand free. Hastily untying my feet, I jumped up and untied my other hand. I’m free! I ran to Kris’s side as two of the men ran toward me. This is my chance, my chance to fight for what they’ve done to my family.

 

 

It’s like they’re running toward me in slow motion and I hesitated as I started to feel overwhelmed. I snapped out of it as one man swung toward me, I ducked and swung back freely. Surprisingly I hit him, but then another man hit me so hard I clasped to the floor. My eyes barley staying open, I saw Kris continually going from man to man, trying to defeat them. They’re just so big and soon Kris will grow tired.

 

Kris got hit, lying on the ground bleeding I am reminded of the image of my mother and father. I can’t let anything happen to Kris, I have to protect him!

 

 

I slowly get up and crawl over to his side. I hovered over his body to block the hits.

 

“Please just stop! Stop hurting him.” I demanded.

 

They stopped their forceful punches and stepped back. I placed my hand under Kris’s head as he sat up and wrapped his arms around my waist.

 

“Lee, everything will be okay.” He whispered in a calming tone.

 

 

Just then, there were sounds of gunshots and the men fell like a row of dominoes. I looked at Kris with a worried expression as three men walked out from the dark.

 

“Are you Lee Stanfield?” Said the deep voice of a man whose face I didn’t recognize.

 

“Yes. Who are you?”

 

“That’s not for you to know. Now you two need leave and get somewhere safe. There is a car waiting out front. I suggest you don’t think about coming back to this town.” He stressed.

 

Kris grabbed my hand as we stood up and walked out to the awaiting car.

 

 

We’re still driving and by now it’s morning. I woke up from sleeping on Kris’s shoulder and see he hadn’t slept at all. He looked down at me with a faint smile.

 

“We’re here, get out.” The driver said while he handed me my father’s bag I had forgotten about.

 

"Thank you Sr."

 

“Get on the boat leaving next and find a safe place to continue your lives. Always be on the lookout, you never know when someone is watching you.” He said in a mysterious tone, speeding away.

 

 

We stood silent for a moment and looked across the water. “Thank you.” Kris said.

 

“Thank you for what?”

 

“Thank you for staying by my side.” He said as he pulls me in.

 

With frantic thoughts running through my head I boldly replied, “I’ll never try to leave you again. I’ll fight for you.”

 

We sat together watching the bright sun shine through the clear water, waiting to board the boat. Sitting there wrapped in Kris’s arms, I thought about everything that had happened and how we’re suppose to just continue our lives.

 

The thought of this startled me. We have no home, no family, and no plan.

 

 

But right here and for right now, we’re safe.