The Purple Line

Purple Line

In times in life, there may be different sides we need to take in order to establish ourselves in the world, whether it means disagreeing with others or not. In the world where our story takes place, one such line creating these sides is the main focus of this issue—it is what the young scholars grow up to face. They grow to learn to which side they belong on along this line. Their studies focus on learning of what lies ahead of them in the world and once they are educated fully, it is their decision on whether they want to follow along with the life in which everything is given to them or the life which is more rogue, undefined, and where there are no guarantees. With that said, the main characters of this story are five young boys by the names of Jaejoong, Yoochun, Junsu, Max, and Yunho who are learning the ways of life, preparing to face The Purple Line…

Purple Line set up my world…

“Where are you guys going?” little Yoochun asked as he fidgeted with the bow-tie around his neck under the collar of his shirt. He cautiously followed the other four boys.

“The ceremony, of course!” Yunho abruptly replied. He seemed excited but just a bit frustrated at how Yoochun didn’t remember what today was.

Yes, the five six-year-old boys were now ready. It was the ceremony that inducted them into the official SM Academy in which they would begin learning everything there was to know in their world. Every person had to do this if they wanted to live under the wing of SM which would provide them with everything they need in life. That is, if that’s the side of the line they wish to take.

The boys now stood their small bodies in front of an enormous oak stained door that led to the giant library where the ceremony would take place.

“I’m nervous…” Max mumbled anxiously.

“It’ll be okay,” Junsu reassured.

Jaejoong nodded. “That’s right. There’s nothing to worry about, guys. We’ll be together always!”

As the door opened with a slow motion and a loud creak, the five interlocked their soft little hands and walked inside the ceremony which would begin the course of their lives…

Experience can be gained everyday…

For years the five of them studies so hard. They were the top of the class and through it all, they stuck together. From basic lessons to those that leaned more on the theoretic side, they learned it and mastered it all. Experience was the aim of SM Academy and surely that was what they were getting.

But experience was later on becoming something of a problem. When the boys were around the age of sixteen it seemed as though they were beginning to grow a rift. They were still friends, but it looked as though Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu were becoming closer with each other while Max and Yunho were becoming closer themselves. While they learned it all, they learned what the world was really like and began to develop their own opinions on what things were like and how things could be. The friends went into this with all innocence intact, but now they knew the truth to many issues and sad problems that made up the world they lived in and now their hearts were beginning to drift and their visions were showing them different ways of how life should be and which sides of The Purple Line they should take.

Soon the five males would be graduating and it would be their turn to choose just exactly which side of The Purple Line they will cross and live on. It would all be decided on July 31st, when their graduation from SM Academy would be official and their fates decided…

Say this isn’t the end…

“Are you guys ready for this?” Jaejoong asked as he looked at himself in the mirror. He had on his suit which was made for this particular occasion.

The other four all made small hums or grunts in response to Jaejoong, but none sounded quite positive. The atmosphere in the room was solemn die to them getting into an argument not too long ago. It was judgment day and they were still in disagreement with how things should go when it came to The Purple Line, but how could this be? When it all began, they vowed to each other that they would stick together till the end and make the same decision about which side of life they would take—they would all rake the same one together! But as of now, Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu felt that it was better to go along with their free spirits and take the side which didn’t promise much but did ensure that they would have many surprises along the way while Max and Yunho felt that it was best to stay on the side which meant they would have guaranteed life necessities from SM—they would get whatever they need and not have to worry.

They didn’t look at things like how they did when they were six-year-olds and now it was separating them.

“It’s time to go,” Max said and now they left.

“All of them slowly stepped into the dark hall where they saw it—a glowing purple line, the line of their fate—The Purple Line.

“May those who enter please step forward and make their decision,” a man with a deep voice called across the dark space and the males acknowledged him as they walked forward.

Their eyes all looked to each other’s when they were about to make their decision. They knew what was going to happen, but they didn’t want to face it. The bodies of the males were in a straight line now, parallel to The Purple Line and their hearts were beating in sync for so many years now until this moment when Jaejoong, Yoochun, and Junsu walked to the left and Max and Yunho walked to the right.

“Is this really the end?” Yoochun asked as he looked to the two next to him and then to the other two who were across the way.

“It looks like it,” Yunho replied quite sharply.

Junsu sighed. “Is that really what you think is right, guys?” He looked to Max and Yunho.

“What about you?” Max asked in reply.

They all hung their heads. This was it.

Without any other words besides the slight “goodbye” the three stepped onto their side of The Purple Line while the other two stepped on theirs. As Max and Yunho looked on the other side, they saw their friends fading away from their vision.

“Guys…” Max said softly.

Yunho put his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Come on, we have future ahead of us no matter what,” he said. They turned around and in the darkness they saw a light. They decided to follow it since they believed it would lead them out of the dark place they were in.

“Oh no…” Yoochun almost cried as the sight of his two friends on the other side disappeared.

“Don’t worry, Yoochun. We can make it without them,” Jaejoong smiled prettily.

“Yeah, we can do it!” Junsu put his fist in the air.

With Yoochun in the middle, the three of them put their hands on each other’s shoulders and walked along the dark space where they saw a small yet hopeful glimmer in the distance.

“Let’s see what’s out there…”

Even if my loyalties are divided…

After so many years of believing they’d be together till the end, Jaejoong, Yoochun, Junsu, Max, and Yunho ended up dividing after all. It looks as though learning things really did change how they saw things.

Maybe innocence truly is a virtue, but then what does it mean to have knowledge? We’ll only know by how the friends’ futures turn out, it seems…


A/N: Ugh I am soooooo dumb. All I had to do was copy this from the printed copy I had because I deleted the fiel, and then upload it. Of course I procrastinated 5ever and finally just copied it the other night. Welp here it is anyhow. Nothing much special. Just a little class assignment I had back when I was in my writing class. I hope it was at least somewhat enjoyable <3