~~~

I'm a Fool for You

 

 

“I’m going to do it!”

Three faces turned to their friend as he loudly slammed his lunch on the table to announce his arrival showing various degrees of curiosity.

“Do what?”

“I’m going to ask Tao out.” Baekhyun grinned triumphantly.

“It’s April Fool’s Day,” Jongdae decided to point out the obvious while Chanyeol started laughing and Kyungsoo returned to his lunch.

“That’s the beauty of it. If he rejects me I can say it was a joke, cos it’s April 1st.”

Jongdae blinked in shock at Baekhyun’s confident grin. In the background Chanyeol started howling again.

“Why am I friends with you?” Kyungsoo asked. “That is seriously the most idiotic thing I have ever heard, ever.”

“It’s brilliant! Pure brilliance!”

Jongdae decided that he better try and calm Chanyeol down before he died of too much laughter. Once he started, sometimes that boy could laugh for hours, anything setting him off.

“What on earth makes you think Tao would say yes to you. He knows you as the least serious guy in the school and it’s April Fool’s Day. You are setting yourself up for failure.”

“I refuse to listen to your negativity. It is ruining my vibe. My plan is amazing and you at just a grumpy pants.”

“Let’s just see who’s right in the end.”




Tao walked down the corridor towards his locker followed by Sehun and Jongin. His two best friends had officially started dating a few weeks ago (and had been dancing around each other for months before that) while that was great, it made him feel like the perpetual third wheel. He wanted someone, someone who would go on cute dates with him and send him flirty texts when they were in separate classes.

Not that he would ever admit it but there was one person he really wanted to do all the soppy that Sehun and Jongin did together.
Someone who was standing in front of his locker with a giant grin and a bouquet of flowers.


Tao hadn’t been able to say anything but ‘No’, the amused faces of the other students reminded him of the date and the glaringly mismatched flowers made him scared. He had liked Baekhyun for ages, since he had since the older boy on his first day of school. He didn’t cross paths with him often though Jongdae and Jongin were brothers.

His gut had been screaming at him to accept but Baekhyun was well known for pulling pranks and embarrassing people.

He feels like crying when the older boy shouts ‘April Fools’ and runs away.




Baekhyun runs straight to his dorm room from the crowded hallway. He buries himself in his giant duvet, which is totally too big for his tiny single but useful for making into comfy cave and losing himself in.

Kyungsoo opens the door sometime later, laying ben and jerry’s baked alaska, custard donuts and a giant bag of malteasers next to his pillow.

“Eat the ice cream before it melts, I refuse to explain the sticky mess to the cleaners again.”

Baekhyun stuck his head out to see all three of his friends, even though Chanyeol and Jongdae were day students. He didn’t really want anyone to see him with swollen reds eyes but he knew that they wouldn’t be mean. At least not until he was feeling better.

He pouted at the younger boys.

“I won’t say I told you so.”

“You just said it!”

“We won’t let Kyungsoo say another word,” Jongdae pushed Kyungsoo off of his own bed as he made to speak.

“We brought our laptops. Wanna play League?” Chanyeol asked picking up his school bag which looked bulkier than usual.

Baekhyun knew his friends weren’t great at comfort, they were more used to taking the piss out of each other but he appreciated the gesture. They didn’t say anything though they were all camped out in the tiny dorm room playing his favourite game and letting him stuff himself with ice cream and his favourite sweets. And no one said anything about his earlier rejection.




Kris came back from his two week trip to visit his mum to the news of Baekhyun’s epic prank of asking Tao out on April Fool’s day. His eyebrows twisted making him look even more like an angry bird.

First thing he decided to do was check on Tao, while sending a quick text to Jongdae that he was back and to meet him in the back courtyard.

Tao was like a younger brother, with Kris being designated Tao’s guide when he arrived. Both with similar backgrounds and Kris less likely to lose him or forget him completely when distracted by a certain baozi, which is what would have happened if ever of the other two Chinese boys in the senior year had been put in charge of him. Tao was sulking in front of his locker when he approached. The Tao he had left was always conscious of other people and refused to look anything other than perfect. This Tao looked unkempt and messy. He also looked deeply upset.

“What’s wrong didi?” Kris asked gently.

A gross sounding sniff assaulted his ears as Tao turned to him.

“Ge~”

“Is this about Baekhyun?” He received a sad look. Giving his charge a long hug and a promise to take him shopping at the weekend, he left to search for his other former mentee. Part of him regretted signing up for student council duties but he had had a huge crush on the cute rep of another class and had been desperate to find some common ground.

“What’s going on Jongdae? I come back to stories of pranks and sulking pandas.”

“Hyung, can I just say I tried to talk him out of it.” Jongdae smiled guiltily.

“You didn’t say a word, I was the one who called him an idiot,” Kyungsoo glowered at the other boy.

“Semantics.” Jongdae waved the other boy away as he peered up his hyung.

“Where’s Baekhyun?” Kris sighed, he wanted to fix this before he developed a headache. He already had a load of work to catch up on. He didn’t need to be running around trying to sort out his dongsaengs stupidity. Would it have killed anyone to text him while he was away? He was going to put a ‘don’t make any rash decisions without notifying Kris’ rule in place if this carried on. He already had Yixing and Luhan send him messages that they needed to talk to him now he was back. It didn’t bode well.

“He’s been hiding in his room since the 1st.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah hyung, he was pretty cut up about it. He was really scared of the idea of the rejection and the embarrassment and the humiliation and then the pity which would happen. So I’m guessing that’s why he decided to confess when he did.” Chanyeol cut in. “I’m guessing that’s why he decided to confess the way he did. This way only we know that it meant more than it actually seemed and so he only has to suffer the rejection, not all the other stuff. Tao on the other hand has had a well known crush on Baekhyun since he arrived, so to him as well as many others it seemed like Baekhyun was confessing in a stupid April Fools prank, so of course Tao would refuse. He and the school had just been reminded of his crush, which would make Baekhyun an arse, which 80% of the school’s population already think he is. Baekhyun is an oblivious idiot for not knowing about the crush, cos this whole thing coulda been avoided if he had just paid a bit more attention.”

The other three looked at him in mild shock. The lanky boy was rooting around in a packet of revels and hadn’t seemed to be paying attention. They were once again reminded of how Chanyeol came to the school on a scholarship. He was constantly underestimated.

“Right… I’ll go find him, tell him he’s a moron and sort this out.”

“You don’t think I tried that?!” Kyungsoo asked incredulously.

“The difference is 15cms, determination and a huge dollop of annoyance. Plus I bet you just told him he was a moron.”
Kyungsoo glared as Kris strode off.




“You’re a moron.”

“Thanks hyung. How was your holiday?” Baekhyun frowned at the taller boy.

“You are worse than a moron cos you could easily be in a relationship right now, happy as a clam but no, you had to make a fool of yourself by confessing on April Fools Day.”

“It was a brilliant idea that in hindsight might not have been fully thought through taking account for every variable.”

“Like how you’re a moron.” Kris grinned as the mood seemed to lighten since he entered the room.

“Like how I’m a moron.”

“What are you going to do now?”

“What do you mean? I am going to stew here until I feel strong enough to go to class and then I am going to ignore the fact that I was rejected.”

“You are still a moron. That is a stupid plan.”

“Why? What do you suggest?”

“Get up and go confess to Tao properly! The poor boy has had a crush on you forever! He probably thinks that you knew and wanted to make a fool of him which is why you confessed on April Fool’s Day. He’s not exactly been subtle about it.” Kris sighed as comprehension dawned on the younger’s face.

“So I just humiliated him in front of the entire school to save myself from humiliation?”

“Yes!” Kris’ eyes flashed. “So you better go out there and make that boy a beautiful confession and then be the best damn boyfriend otherwise you will have me to answer to!”

He watched as Baekhyun ran out the room and felt so much better.




Two weeks later he was regretting helping as he was turfed out of his shared dorm room with Tao. He just hoped Kyungsoo had forgiven him yet for mentioning his height.





a/n: i mentioned all the foods i am craving right now! i would kill for some b&j or some malteasers or some revels or a custard donut... oh well i will buy some tomorrow... maybe... 

i started writing this but then i was so busy. i decided i better finish it so that i could post it before it stopped being april 1st somewhere in the world lol 

also i so badly at fluff or romance that i just skipped the confession scenes completely! i am sorry op! i liked your prompt though xD