Final

His Lucky Day

I needed to get out. I had been trapped indoors all weekend. What felt to me as a wasted weekend was in reality one of the most productive weekends I've had so far. Nonetheless, I needed some fresh air. Even though the city I live in never sleeps, it would feel weird to go clubbing on a Sunday. Mulling over my choices while walking, I found myself in front of a little bakery in my neighborhood. I wasn't actually hungry but eating cake never hurt me before.

Deciding on this place I tried to go in but was soon sent right back out by a man I had never seen before. I'm not sure if he was from around here or not but he told me I couldn't go in at the moment. "Fans must head home, don't follow the idols." "Fans? Don't follow the idols?" I mumbled to myself. I have no idea what he's on about, all I wanted was a doughnut. In the midst of reconstructing my plan, six young men and the guy that stopped me filed out of the bakery. Well to be exact, five handsome men and one that particularly caught my eye were leaving the bakery and smiled politely in my direction. I smiled back a little nervously, not sure why though. Maybe it was because the one in particular that caught my eye was also glancing in my direction a little more than the others he was with. I tried my best to muster up the cutest smile I could and throw it to him but I probably looked like a fool. I didn't realize the others he was with started walking off, I don't think he did either. Maybe my smile wasn't that foolish or maybe he was frozen in shock, I didn't know and I sure wasn't going to ask. Before I could lay on some more terrible flirtation with this beautiful stranger, he was called away by his group now realizing what he was doing. He turned to leave and threw one last glance at me before jogging ahead to catch up with his friends I assume. I went inside, found a table, and quickly pulled my phone out. My appetite for doughnuts long gone and now replaced with the longing to see this stranger again. I went to my messages and went to start a new message to my friend but soon came to the realization that I had no idea what I was doing. What was I supposed to tell my friend? "Hey I went to go get a doughnut and ended up having this crazy staring contest with this cute guy. Pretty sure I creeped him out but who cares?! I think I beat him." I decided to keep that piece of information to myself.

Battery Park sounded like a good idea, I always enjoyed looking at the water under the night sky. Maybe something interesting would be going on. There was nothing going on. Surprisingly there weren't many people there so that meant free bench for me. All of them. I can sit on them all tonight if I wanted. I decided against that, I just chose my favorite. It never fails me and always has great views of everything fron a decent distance. I was alone for about 20 minutes, not counting that couple down the way. It's hard to make a lot of noise with someone's tongue down your throat. Another group showed up noisily. They weren't too close to me yet but from the sounds I think it was a group of boys. I didn't want to miss seeing them when they passed by so I lifted my eyes from the ants I was watching to their direction. Maybe one of them would be cute, then tonight could be a little fun. They were nearing my bench and I realized they weren't speaking a language I knew. Or at least I thought, I couldn't tell because they were speaking so quickly. Occasionally I would hear this laugh that just hit me deep. His laugh was so deep maybe just like his voice. It had this timber to it that was just pleasant to hear. It made me want to make him laugh some more just so I could keep hearing it. I had to snap out of it. They were literally one bench away from where I was sitting and if I didn't want to miss them I had to pay attention. The one in front glanced my way as he walked by then stopped. He looked over in my direction once again and started smiling. The others with him didn't notice he stopped and walked right into him. After they all stop and scolded him I realized that these were the same guys from the bakery. "It's you, from earlier " the one with the big ears said. I just simply nodded my head trying to think of what to say to them. "I didn't think I'd run into you guys again." Some of them didn't seem to follow what I said, it registered to me maybe they weren't from around here. "I'm sorry, we're not all fluent in English. We're actually from Korea and just visiting" said the one in glasses. Goodness was he good looking, they all were. I told him I didn't know much Korean which saddened me. I wanted a chance to talk to the one who caught my eye earlier. The guy in the glasses who I learned was Byunghyun introduced me to his other friends. I told my name to all of them and asked them if they had a good time here, they all seemed to enjoy it. Soon after that we were biding our goodbyes and I wished them luck on the rest of their trip.

His friends were walking ahead of him this time and left now who I know as Minsoo standing in front of me once again. We didn't speak much, at all really. I'm not sure if it was because he was nervous, or shy, or maybe he just didn't know how to put what he was feeling into words. I damn sure know I wasn't speaking because I was nervous. I looked off to see his friends sitting not too far from us. I couldn't tell but it looked like they were watching us. I didn't want to hold him up any longer so I smiled at him and told him to have fun before I stood up to walk off. Did I really just tell him to have fun? Wow what kind of loser am I? "Wait" he said before I could walk off. I walked a little closer to him and waited for him to say more. We stared at each other and I realized he wasn't going to say more. Nothing needed to be said. I took a step closer to him and mumbled "I hope you don't mind" before closing the gap between us and closing my eyes. He didn't seem shocked by my action, me kissing him. It kind of fell into place naturally as if he knew what I was going to do. His hands fell to my hips to pull me closer. He smelled of fresh linen, one of my favorite smells. It made kissing this stranger all the better. I liked how our lips didn’t fit together perfectly, I liked how his hands were softly caressing my hips, and I loved how his lips still tasted of green tea ice cream.

I pulled away in a daze, still unbelieving of what I had just done. I just kissed Minsoo. Minsoo. The guy I met literally a few hours ago. The guy that’s staring down at me with the most sincere smile I’ve ever seen, and it’s making my heart melt. “Thank you” I sputtered out. It was too late to stop myself from saying something embarrassing, so I hit my forehead in shame. I realized what I did and felt my face heating up. I’m really such a fool in front of him. He blinked my way, maybe it was supposed to be a wink. I’m not sure but whatever it was it was incredibly cute. He spoke with me one last time before walking back to his friends. “I hope you have a good night” he spoke softly as if he only wanted me to hear. I smiled like an idiot in his presence one last time a waved him off quietly saying goodbye because I couldn’t muster enough strength to speak any louder. I sat back down on the bench and watched him walk off with his friends, it looked as if they were teasing him for being kissed by a girl. Boys. I pulled my phone out and started a new message for the second time that day. I typed in the name of my friend and started the message. Before I could hit send something compelled me to press delete. I guess I’ll keep this little piece of information to myself. Perhaps you could say it was his lucky day. Coming to America and being kissed by some random and hopefully attractive stranger. I stared at the night sky and took a deep breath. I didn’t want to forget that moment so I sat there replaying the memory in my head. Maybe it was my lucky day after all.