Dead leaves

A little death

A/N: Inspired by Zico's song of the same name as the chapter title and told from his POV as well.

It came as strong as the autumn wind and the dampness of the air that could be felt in every street, around every corner. No matter how bad it made you feel you couldn’t just ignore it or protect yourself from it. You could run away from it, but only for so long. Only for so long could you avoid it and you knew that all too well. You’d have to return to those cold, dark and ruthless streets eventually. They would be waiting and by now you would know them by heart.

Day after day, I would try and fight those streets with their animalistic claws that were reaching out for me. I would keep myself distanced from them or I would go through them completely shutting out their effect on me. I would greet and smile kindly at the people that were waiting for me at the end of them. I would show my teeth as much as I could, at the same time showing my pride through them which wasn’t going to be beaten by some half-assed streets and some wind blowing in my face. I would laugh, I would love, I would feel normal.

Night after night, I would come back to those streets with their wide opened arms that were reaching out for me. I would fall into their embrace the same moment, grasping, clinging. I would stay buried in them for as much as I could, for as much as daylight allowed me to. I would lose all of my pride and would try to pick up its pieces the morning after that. I would cry, I would despair, I would break completely.

It went away as slow and agonizing, but also as graceful as the leaves fell and grazed the rough ground below. No matter how much you wanted to, you were never ready to do it. You reveled in those sunny days, filled with brightness and warmth. You waited for your time, waited for your turn. Only for so long could you avoid it and you knew that all too well. You’d have to fall eventually and now was your turn. The ground would be waiting and by now you would be ready.

I felt empty in my chest, numb. But all the same, this was the last time. This was my time. Be well, my friends, my house, and my soul. Thank God everything else is safe. The wind blowed sharply, making me crash. I was trampled into the ground, the faintly seen colour disappearing. My frame that has half fallen away was smiling. The leaves fell and the time was over. Final.