01: stranger

The Flow of The River

****

The first day I saw you, the first day it snowed, like the pure white snow, I shook.


 

Winter had actually greeted around a week ago, coming to stay in Seoul for a while, like usual.

 

And with the break that tagged along, the Park family was finally gifted with an opportunity to gather and fill the whole month as a complete family. A month was actually quite a long period enough for them as usually they only meet once in two or three weeks. - With Chanyeol only able to go back home from his college located hours away from his house once in a while, the first three oldest of the family spending three quarters of their day in their respective office on weekdays, as well as Chorong occupying herself with her thick books almost on a daily basis, before heading to pursue her degree in the next semester.

 

"You kids go where ever you desire, Dad and I will just try out whatever that dragged us into." Mrs Park informed with full warmness in her tone, not forgetting to include a little snicker. It had been a while since they went hunting for new clothes and other stuff necessary, especially in that one mall the whole family had already familiarised themselves with. 

 

"Okay."

 

"Hm." 

 

"Yay!"

 

The three siblings obeyed in unison.

 

"Just call us if there's anything." Choa added to ease the process of meeting back up for lunch later, before stealing a gander at her wristwatch. "Um, lunch in two hours?" Her watch told her that it was 11.13 when she landed her eyes on it, and she suggested that they give a room for the food they had during breakfast previously to digest and absorb first before swallowing another round of meal.

 

Mrs Park knew she could count on her oldest daughter's planning and managing skills. "All right, dear."

 

And off, they all went, splitting and pacing on their own different tracks; The three bears, and the two love birds.

 

Turning her head and looking over her shoulder, Chorong perceived that Chanyeol was tagging along, "Don't you want to go alone?" She wondered why did her younger brother decide to tail her and Choa. 

 

"Don't you both need company?" Grinning widely, proving that he was indeed the rich in teeth boy, Chanyeol answered with a question.

 

This time it's Choa who continued. She didn't face her brother and just kept on sauntering over the patterned floor instead, with her hands burried in the pockets of her beige duffle coat, while secretly flashing a smirk above her chin, "Just admit and say you miss us." 

 

"Uhhhh"

 

"More like he missed us treating him." Emphasising, Choa was stand corrected by Chorong.

 

Chanyeol didn't actually remember craving for his sisters to give him a treat, but now that it had jumped into his memory, he couldn't simply reject Chorong's (and perhaps Choa's too) indirect offer. "That... would be nice. Yes please?" The way he displayed his grin again, but this time extra widely and ingratiating, totally made his sisters rolled their eyes in defeat, being won over by their puppy-like brother.

 

Chorong scoffed rather teasingly, "Ugh. Don't tell me you want Snowflake again!" Snowflake was Chanyeol's favourite; a Taiwanese café providing desserts, mainly snow ice of various flavours, decorated with different kinds of scrumptious toppings in accordance to the list of menu the café offered. He tried out different flavours on every visit, though still it seriously amused Chorong that Chanyeol never got bored of the same product over and over.

 

Chanyeol giggled, "It's okay! Maybe not today so, noona's favourite, this time?" 

 

"Bubble tea?" Chorong asked with a demanding look flashed across her face, receiving a number of nods from Chanyeol in response afterwards. "Wonderful!"

 

"Save those penny of yours because I'm treating you both today." Choa abruptly stated, much in a royal-ish manner. "And no rejections, the oldest's order." She proceed and drew out her wallet from her mini leather sling bag, handing some fresh papers of cash to Chorong.

 

"You're the beast." The younger female praised as a trade.

 

Choa's lips curved upwards into a pleased smile. "By the way, you still haven't told us your true intentions, young man." She reminded Chanyeol, before it could slip out from her remembrance.

 

Since excitement had taken Chanyeol over, he almost forgot his reason for following her two sisters in the first place. "Oh that!" He was reluctant, "I'll tell you later! Noona let's go!" Chorong's wrist was gripped, but Chanyeol couldn't drag her further as Choa stopped them for a bit.

 

"Now? Aren't you still full?" It was more of a concern rather than a scold that escaped from Choa's mouth.

 

"A cup of drink doesn't hurt. I'm thirsty!" Chanyeol exclaimed. He then pulled Chorong along and strode towards their destination. The bubble tea stall was located in the middle of the mall, the first thing that came into sight as soon as you laid a foot into the building through the North entrance.

 

Before the distance between them could grow longer, Choa managed to raise her voice to place an order. "Hazelnut Chocolate with pearls for me please!"

 

===

 

While waiting for their drinks to be done, Chanyeol and Chorong perched themselves on the stall's stools, facing outdoor. Despite not feeling it, they could totally comprehend the freezing condition on the other side through the transparent glass. Also, one thing Chorong noticed that was different from before she entered the mall was the visibility of the soft-looking white cotton that landed on the tree branches, and mini balls of wools decending calmly and softly from above.

 

"Wait, Chan, is it snowing?" Cutting the string of silence tying around them, Chorong asked, just to confirm she wasn't imagining things.

 

Upon hearing the word snow, Chanyeol looked up from the screen of his phone and observed the outer side, squinting his eyes. "Seems like it is!" He rotated his head towards her, melodically imitating. "Do you want to build a snowmaaaan?

 

"Go away, Chanyeol." Chorong played along, and they both tittered harmonically at the same time.

 

"3080" The digital caller rang with a new set of digits of number. "Oolong Milk Tea, Strawberry Au Lait, and Hazelnut Chocolate?" One of the workers called out from behind the counter.

 

"Oh that's ours." Jumping from his seat, Chanyeol went to claim for their drinks. Chorong got on her feet as well, and that was when she felt her phone jolting in her pocket.

 

"I'm at H&M"

-From: Choa sis

 

"Okay, we're coming."  Chorong typed out to reply while sauntering towards Chanyeol, not realising what came in her way.

 

Then a sharp sound of a fallen object rose. Tak.

 

"Oh my, I'm so sorry!" A manly voice came out, crouching down to pick up the cellphone that just fell and handing it back to the owner.

 

Chorong darted her eyes down and found out she just bumped into a man. His eyes were small and he owned a pointed nose, his physical appearance told her that they're around the same age. "No, it's okay! It's my fault. I wasn't conscious of my surroundings." Chorong remained her composure.

 

"I apologise. Is your phone okay?" A tone of edginess could be sensed coming from the man as he tried to check out the cellphone protected by the red hard cover in Chorong's grasp. 

 

"Forever living. Don't worry!" She donned on a cheerful look, in hopes that that would convince the man.

 

"That's a relief. Sorry again!"

 

"Don't mention it." After the man jogged away, Chorong just shook, to herself, and to the man, for some reason.

 

Later appeared Chanyeol clasping two cups of their preferred bubble teas, and another one cup resting in a plastic, hanging on his wrist. "What was that all about?"

 

"Accidents." Chorong replied shortly, and informed. "Choa unnie's at H&M." 

 

"All right, let's go."

 

As they paced to their next stop, Chorong began to question her brother. "So," She stabbed the plastic cover with the straw. "Why did you follow us again?"

 

Chanyeol swallowed the chewed bubble tea in his mouth, and answered. "I need suggestions." He took a few sips of his strawberry drink through the straw again. "A gift for Bomi."

 

"Heol." Chorong scorned jokingly. "That's it?"

 

"That's all."

 

===

 

"Choa?" 

 

The voice sounded too familiar to Choa's ears when she was flipping the hanging clothes, and she was later embraced with blissfulness to see a figure that belonged to her close friend appearing right in front of her eyes after she twirled around. "Oh! Jihyun!"

 

"Hey girl!" The other female greeted with open arms, clipping her friend into a hug. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Just, spending some quality time with the whole family, siblings.... Did you come here alone?"

 

"Not really, I have my brother with me." 

 

"Aw. Where is he?" Choa was curious. She had known Jihyun for years, as well as the fact that her friend had a younger male sibling just like her, but little did she know about how does Jihyun's brother look like.

 

"He stopped by that Gongcha stall to satisfy his thirst for a while. He's probably done by now."

 

"Hold up, my brother and sister headed for that stall too." Choa told.

 

Jihyun tittered. "They must had somehow met each other, unknowingly." 

 

And yes, they did, indeed.

 

 

 

 

 


AAAAAANNNDDDD HERE YOU GO. Did I make you wait? 

 

Ok jokes, I'm really sorry for the slow service orz. Apart from procrastinating quite a lot, the first idea I wrote came out sort of pointless and draggy so I had to squeeze my brain to think of and write a new, different plot.... so here it goes. /cries a river/