Chapter 1

Path To Fiction

 

 

 

“Hey…”

 

Doojoon softly called out to the calm sleeping figure in the room. He then helped himself to sit on the white sheet of the queen-sized bed belonged to her. He formed an auto smile as he watched her, looking as innocent and naïve she has always been, even in her sleep.

 

“Miss Yoon~ Wakey wakey…” He tried once more with the same gentleness in his voice.

 

Soft chuckles suddenly escaped from his lips. His hand then reached her shoulder and he gave a little shake; his smile was still visible.

 

The figure slowly moved, arms began to stretch widely as the rosy lips yawned at the visitor in her room. She wiped her eyes and scratched her forehead as her visions sorted properly due the bright light coming from her small window. When she noticed who her visitor was, she reached him for a small morning hug. The hug wasn’t anything odd to her and she always felt the same freshness, warmth and secure that usually emits from the word ‘family’. She didn’t know why she felt so sentimental early in the morning as if it was her first time hugging the same guy every time.

 

“Alright Miss Yoon, you have to get up for your little breakfast,” He broke up the hug first, his hand then reached for her messy hair and gave it a quick ruffle, “Or you won’t get your allowance by today,” He smiled before he continued to poke her arm playfully.

 

She bursts in small chuckles. Sometimes the guy in front of her can be very childish when he’s in the mood for it. Doojoon smiled again before he took his steps outside, letting his little girl a little time for herself.

 

Oppa..

 

Her lips slowly formed a smile. Without her really noticing, she automatically reached for the dangling silver cube that she wore around her neck. The cube was shaped like a silver puzzle piece, and it was Doojoon that gifted it to her when she graduated from her elementary school years back. It meant a lot for her, and she loves Doojoon more for that.

 

 

***

 

 

“I don’t know why I feel envious even though the two of you are real siblings,” Gikwang mumbled as he helped himself with his juice.

 

Bomi just laughed and shook her head at her best friend’s morning comment. She fed her brother again with their shared burnt toast as her brother was busy handling the ‘broken’ gas stove.

 

It wasn’t the first time she heard those words – “We honestly feel envious even though the two of you are real siblings,”— especially in her previous school, where puberty mostly began at and where gossips travel faster than lightning. The High school years in every teenager’s life.

 

 

But Bomi is used to them, who would ever want to give a precious care to lousy rumours? Especially when she knows herself that Doojoon is her real blood-related brother, not just any man in her life? And on top of all that, it already ended. She had already graduated and was ready for a fresh start to pursue more into her chosen career.

 

“What time will the two of you finish your shopping?” Doojoon glanced to his munching sister and the man who has always been the friend to his family. Gikwang responded with a bright smile, obviously expecting and predicting all the fun he would have later on.

 

“Not that late, before dinner hyung, perhaps,” He simply answered after shooting another smile and nodded to Bomi who grinned back at him. The two have been best friends ever since they were young; they even went to the same school all these years. Except for now, Gikwang has to go into a different college, since the two of them have chosen different majors accidentally (that was what Gikwang kept on saying and will begin to blame himself for no good reason every time the topic surfaces) and the shopping that day would mean a lot to him.

 

“Why is it this time?” Bomi suddenly asked and had already turned to her brother, already expecting for the answer she (and probably Gikwang too) had always hear every time the similar question from her brother was heard; "What time are you going home?’ or.. Will you be late? or… Where would you go later? Will Gikwang be there too?" 

 

Yoon Bomi chuckled alone.

 

Goodness, who wouldn’t know that this Yoon Doojoon is a very protective brother as well as a real workaholic that has often left her in the visions of Lee Gikwang; the now who could be known as her relief brother since the two spent most of their time together when Doojoon wasn’t able to make it. Doojoon’s work was nothing fancy; nothing that can gives him a thousand dollars per month, nor anything that requires any paper work, yet it requires his full commitment and energy.

 

Her brother was actually a DJ at some place that she honestly fails to remember its name, and sometimes he works overtime replacing his other friends. No matter what kind of job it is, he is still the Great Yoon Doojoon that only knows to earn money by working hard.

 

“As usual, there is an empty slot available today.” Her brother winked playfully to her. He knows his sister would understand him. Of course, they’ve been trusting and depending on one another since their parents went away.

 

Unexpectedly thinking about that sensitive topic, Bomi realized that she had no memories at all of neither her late parents nor her old pasts. She’d been trying to interrogate Doojoon about it, but he kept telling her made up stories and lies.

 

Duhh, how she noticed that they were all lies? It’s her own brother alright; it has been very easy to sense his oddities after all the years.

 

Bomi suddenly caught him staring at her with those looks in his eyes. She tried to analyze the telepathy she received.

 

Don’t spend on useless things. Don’t go anywhere else without my concern. Behave well and stay careful where ever you go. Get it?

 

She wasn’t really sure but those were what written in her brother’s eyes. Finally she nodded to him and her brother’s seemed a little relieved after that. She munched onto the last bite of her toast. Her brother can be overprotective sometimes.

 

Gikwang cleared his throat as he fixed his big, thick-framed glasses. He managed a fixed smile as he glanced at his watch. Bomi who noticed him had a tiny smile tugged at the corner of her lips. She patted her brother’s shoulder and went to Gikwang.

 

“Let’s go, our geeky prince needs his shopping as soon as possible,” She teased as she grabbed her bag and slung it to her shoulder. Gikwang bit his lips shyly and stood up from his chair. He bid goodbye to Doojoon and the two exchanged odd glances and then they nodded. He then led his way outside, with Bomi following him from behind.

 

“Oppa, do you want me… to buy dinner?” Bomi glanced back suddenly as she paused her tracks. Initially, she had the hunch to say at least something to her brother before she headed out, perhaps because of the unusual tugging feeling she had since the morning. She didn’t know why, but she felt quite heavy to leave her brother’s wings for today. It’s odd. It was as if she wanted to drag the time between the two of them and let the moment stays forever.

 

“Mhmm, just grab me anything.” Doojoon answered without even looking at her. He was still busy turning the stove’s loose screws.

 

Bomi bit her lips. Why did she feel like it’s close to a goodbye? Not a normal one, but the one that you feel when you aren’t going to meet someone for a long time. Odd, again.

 

“You’re still there? Go have fun, Gikwang is probably waiting outside,” At last, Doojoon glanced to her, only finding her stiff on her spot.

 

Bomi was surprised when she caught him staring in confusion at her state. Before her brother could make any assumptions, she widely smiled and nodded.

 

“Great.. uh, I’ll see you tonight.” She held herself from running to her brother and hug him tightly. She swallowed as she held up a hand for a wave. Doojoon grinned at his sister’s obvious awkward actions and held up his hand for a wave as well.

 

“I’ll see you too tonight, Bomi.”

 

Definitely.

 

 

***

 

 

Bomi stared hollow towards the shiny marbled floor. She couldn’t really ignore the tugging feeling she had. It kept bothering her mood. What does it mean?

 

Just then, a hand waved right in front of her.

 

“Hello, sleepy princess~ Hello?” Gikwang appeared and took his seat next to her. They were in a clothes store, currently choosing Gikwang’s new outfits. It would be something significant today, since this bestfriend of hers who had never really took care of his appearance finally chose to, all of a sudden. This friend of hers preferred to be as nerdy as he looks, with those big glasses covering half of his face and would only preferred his old wrinkled outfits.  Bomi once commented if he ever cared to iron all his clothes.

 

But now, just look at him. He became all bright and happy when she chose new outfits for him to try on. What is up with him? College’s pressure? Lol, it can't be puberty, right? Hahahaha...

 

“Yo~” Gikwang called out again. That was when Bomi realized that she hazed out again while staring at him.

 

“What is it?” Bomi replied, shaking her head to get the heavy thoughts off. She immediately smiled to him, worried if he would sense the change in her mood.

 

“This is the third outfit, so what do you think?”  With that, Gikwang stood, rotating himself in front of her. Bomi studied her friend. He was wearing a clean, grey, leather jacket over a white, plain, sleeveless T-shirt and very dark denims, but he was still wearing his big glasses over his nose. Hm, they would never match.

 

Bomi bit her lower lip as she tilted her head a little.

 

Gikwang noticed her eyes and came towards her. He grabbed her hand and placed it in the position where it can blocked his face from her view, so only his other body parts would be visible. He walked back to his orignal position and put his hands on each sides of his hips, slightly annoyed.

 

Bomi gasped in amazement. It works!

 

“Whoa..  I never noticed that you have such a good body..” She said without noticing. That’s odd. She never realized that her friend looks pretty cool with just a simple, white t-shirt. Besides… that white t-shirt is just like any plain, cheap singlet, so why did it look so amazingly matches with the unexpected discovery of Gikwang’s physical anatomy? Gikwang rolled his eyes and pushed her hand down, revealing his nerdy side, enough to crash that daydream of his friend. He looked pretty annoyed.

 

“Oh.. Hi,” Bomi grinned at him, revealing her perfect white teeth innocently.

 

“For a second, I almost thought that you are falling for me, tsk,” Gikwang shook his head as he joked.

 

“In your dreams, idiot,” Bomi stuck out her tongue to him. “But if that ever happens, it would only be your body,” she continued with short giggles.

 

“Yah..” Gikwang then pinched her nose up to his satisfaction. Bomi struggled his hand off and quickly apologized. Gikwang let go and formed a genuine smile. Bomi automatically responded him with a grin.

 

“It’s okay my friend, I still think that you are cute somehow,” Bomi nodded as she acknowledged. What she didn’t notice was the pink colour that slowly formed on his cheeks, and he quickly looked away before she spotted them.

 

“Forget it, I’m not buying these clothes,” Gikwang stood up and he disappeared into the fitting room. Bomi found that his childish action was cute and chuckled alone.

 

When he came out with his usual blue checkered t-shirt and his baggy khakis, she stood up and fell on to his side.

 

“Where are we going next?”

 

“Saloon,”

 

***

 

“Wahh… Lee Gikwang..” Bomi was still gaping in astonishment at her phone as the two were on their way to home. “Wahh..”

 

“Close your mouth, young miss. You are embarrassing me,” Gikwang said, feeling all awkward and embarrassed all of a sudden.

 

“And how is that?” Bomi retorted, annoyed.

 

“Because I’m walking next to a girl that is fangirling over a very hot guy’s picture in her phone while she is walking in public,” Gikwang replied calmly. He pushed back his glasses and smiled proudly to himself when Bomi gaped at him.

 

“Whoa. I can’t believe that you can afford to call yourself hot,” Bomi shook her head and stuffed her phone inside her pocket. “Such a bigheaded friend of mine,”

 

“Isn’t that the fact why you were fangirling just now?”

 

“Tch,”

 

Bomi pouted, annoyed, and she knew Gikwang had won over her.

 

“But seriously, what will I do without you in college? I still can’t believe that we are going to separate ways..”  Bomi suddenly changed the topic, now sighing at the new fact.

 

Gikwang weakly smiled. He knew that his bestfriend had grown dependant on him, since he would always be there for her for the past years, and yes, it would be a little hard for him to keep an eye on her now.

 

“We can always meet up, right?” Gikwang tried to heighten up the atmosphere. “Or…. you can easily transfer your major or…. be my girlfriend if you are that desperate to be with me,” He chuckled after his words. Bomi hit him by his arm.

 

“That is if you are not going to be surrounded by girls at your new college soon, idiot. You are one hot guy, the new handsome freshman next semester. Who wouldn’t faint and fall for you when they see you?” Bomi grinned as she looked straight towards the dark sky.

 

Bomi smiled as she watched how the evening sky was layered with variety shades of blue and purple, indicating that the real night was crawling near.

 

Back at the saloon that evening, Gikwang had excused himself to go to change into one of his new outfits to match his new look (because his bald hairdresser forced him to, haha).

 

And when he appeared back, Bomi almost couldn’t recognize him, because he was way too hot without his big, thick framed glasses and his new gorgeous hairstyle really matched him. Wow. Why didn’t he ever think of taking care of his appearance again?

 

Gikwang just blushed at her comment. Bomi quickly concentrated back to her reality. “Well.. That’s a maybe. But what important is you. Would you faint and fall for me?” He said, trying not to glance back at her. He’s too afraid to even look or match her eyes.

 

“Tch, do you think I would?” Bomi chuckled. But then, she suddenly held her breath when she heard his next reply.

 

“I really hope so,” Gikwang said nonchalantly. No, it was said with sincere. He meant what he said.

 

“Gikwang ah..” She stopped her tracks to observe her friend. There was no sign of joking shown on his face. He was serious.

 

Damn.

 

“Why do you think I’m doing all these for?” Gikwang only gave a calm smile. “When it’s not just for you?” He finally glanced to her while continuing his steps foward. Yes, he was serious.

 

“It’s not funny. Don’t try to practice your sugary speech on me Gikwang,” Bomi tried to joke, but her laughter immediately died when he stopped his tracks too. He was few steps ahead her, and now turning fully to face her.

 

“How funny can a fact be?” His tone was serious, but he managed a calm smile.

 

“Gikwang..”

 

Bomi didn’t know how to respond anymore. She had unintentionally known his real feelings for her already one day, but she kept trying to run away from the reality. She never wanted anything like those to come between their friendship that she had treasured for so long. And now, he clearly stated them directly to her. How should she react?
 

Meanwhile, Gikwang watched his friend in silence. He knew he did the right thing, he didn’t want to hold his feelings in secrets any longer. Not before it’s too late. Too late that he might regret for not telling her., regretting that...perhaps...forever.

 

But then suddenly, his eyes caught on something else right upon his eyes.

 

A figure dressed in a full black cloak was watching closely at the two of them. The figure was hiding behind the trees of the park, right behind Bomi’s back. Gikwang has noticed the same figure ever since the past few weeks, following him and Bomi around, even at the Mall just now. But he never has spoken once of the figure to Bomi. She needs to be protected, and her positive energy was what has given him the strength all this time. How could he tell about the figure to her? Of course, he had spoken to Doojoon about it, and the elder agreed with him to not ever say anything about the suspicious figure to his sister.

 

“Gikwang.. I-.. uh..” Bomi was still busy searching her words, she didn’t seem to comprehend the hidden danger ahead her. Gikwang lowered down his thick glasses to reveal his own bare face and folded them inside his side pocket. If the creature wants to do something to them, it should really know with who it would be dealing with. Because Gikwang won’t let it off easily this time.

 

Gikwang glared to the figure, and he was completely focused on it and its any light movements. His inside temper immediately boiled, his wall of security immediately being alarmed.

 

No, not now. No. Go. Go! GO!!

 

But the figure didn’t seem to get his message, but even though it did, it didn’t seem to have any intention to fulfill his wish. Gikwang saw the movements of the figure, and saw dark red, spherical orbs twirling between his hands.

 

Damn.

 

The magical orb was thrown completely into a direction that was, heading towards the naive Bomi.

 

Gikwang hastened himself towards Bomi and spinned her around, letting his back positioned on where her back was. He held her tight in his arms, trying to cover her in full protection.

 

“G-Gikwang.. t-this..” Bomi stuttered in surprised, as she was heating all over her body by his sudden actions. She thought that this friend of hers was thinking too immediate for his actions.

 

But when she heard him cried, all her crazy thoughts faded in one go. Gikwang’s arms felt loosened around her and she heard him dropped helplessly onto the ground.

 

Stunned of what happened, her eyes quickly scanned around the park. It was dark already but she knew she saw some movements and there was a flash of light, but then it disappeared behind the trees.

 

What the hell just happened?! What was that?

 

Fearing of something even more, she knelt to her friend’s side and tried to shake his body. But there wasn’t any good response; he was still weakening, even weaker by seconds.

 

“Gikwang! Gikwang! What the hell happened?! What was that?? Gikwang!!” She helplessly shouted to him. “Are you okay?? Please tell me that you are all fine, please!” By now, her tears were even flowing out down her cheeks.

 

Bomi felt his hand on her. She immediately grabbed it tightly, as tight as she could, as if holding onto his dear life.

 

“I’ll get you to the hospital. Please, please, don’t close your eyes, eo?” She begged. She was about to reach for her phone when Gikwang stopped her.

 

“H… h ..hos.. pitals… won’t.. d-do...” He croaked his words and smiled weakly. “I…I’ll be… fi..fine soon... D-Don’t w-wor..worry… Yoo-…Yoon.. B-Bomi..”

 

“Aish, shut up! Speaking like a hero won’t help you right now!  Idiot!” Bomi retorted with her tears. But her friend was still holding onto her hands, trying to stop her from any saving actions.

 

“I-…I’ll.. I’ll m-meet y-you.. s-soon.., p-..pro..-.. promise, ” He faintly grinned again, even weaker than before. Bomi shook her head, refusing to just let him go without her trying to do anything. “I..I’ll p-..pr.. protect y-you… a-al.. always,”

 

Bomi never thought that those would be his last sentence to her before he closed his eyes. Her tears flowed even more desperately, more pitiful than she imagined she would be. Gikwang was still breathing, but why was he this weak?

 

A shuffle of footsteps attracted her attention; she glanced back and found another someone, staring back at her and Gikwang consecutively and finally focused to her innocently.

 

“S-sir.. who are you?” Bomi asked in the middle of her sobbing. “Can you help me?...M- My friend just col-collapsed.. p-please?”

 

The pretty cat eyed guy just stared again at her without replying anything. Bomi realized that this man looked like he just went to some rich VVIP party by his fancy black suit and his slick combed hair.

 

“Sir..? Are you.. deaf? Can you… speak?” Bomi started to notice the peculiar aura he gave her. She didn’t like it one bit, but she had to endure in order to get some helping hand.

 

The man shrugged for the first time.

 

“Sir…?” Bomi tried again, but he only kept staring at her and Gikwang repetitively.

 

“That spell was meant for you, Yoon Bomi. Don’t you know?” He began, as he casually smiled to her. “Ah.. what a waste,”

 

 


 

 

 

Author’s Note:

 

How was the first chapter?

 

Sorryyy, if you found a lot of grammatical errors along the way! (English is not my first language, by the way! Nyehehehehe~)

 

I thought I should introduce the characters first, but mind you, this would not be the end of their introduction. There would be more to know them really well!

 

Comment your thoughts! Thanks everyone!

 

 

Lol,

 

Whiteblackhopes.