Smile

Smile - Myungsoo
"Ok you can get up now." The orthodontist’s assistant said as she moved the chair upwards so that you could see yourself in the large mirror above the sinks. Being stuck in the chair for almost two hours, you got up slowly to ensure that you didn’t get light headed as you swung your legs over one side of the chair.
 
Standing on your legs, you walked over to the large mirror as you grasped the edge of the counter as you took a deep breath as you smiled into the mirror. Watching your reflection, your eyes moved down to where your teeth stood in your mouth. They stood proudly in a straight line as your pearly whites smiled back at you, smiling brighter than before you moved your tongue over your teeth feeling how smooth and almost slimy they felt.
 
With a big smile on your face, you walked back to the chair as you sat down as they debriefed you on your retainer, when and how to use and wear it.
 
Another hour or so later, you were walking out the front door with new found confidence as you smiled all the way home.

Walking through the door of your house, you smiled at your mom, as well as your dad as you went to your room to get on your homework. Working on your Native Language homework, your mind wondered to the next day. What would your friends think of your new smile? What would everyone think when you smiled at them? Would they get butterflies or think that you were prettier?

Sighing contently, you smiled as you thought about one person in particular. Kim Myungsoo, he was your crush, a crush that you have had for several years but he always managed to be in at least one of your classes. He was a nice boy to you but he wasn’t that friendly either. At lunch his friends would sit next to yours so you were able to catch occasional glances of him as he ate and smiled happily. His laughter would brighten your day no matter what mood you were in.

Finished with your homework, you got ready for bed with your hair wet from your shower, you gently brushed it dry as your mind happily wondered to the moments that you shared with Myungsoo.

— Flashback —

It was the first day that you got your braces, your friends tried hard to make you smile and laugh with no avail. They really wanted to be supportive of the change of having braces, since everyone had them on at least once in their lifetimes.

But during lunch, you were eating and you had ate a part of your sandwich as Myungsoo sat across from you. Myungsoo made a funny comment as you burst into a smile and small giggles as Myungsoo looked at you with a small cooked smile, but when you smiled at him, his smile faded as you covered your mouth. Excusing yourself, you went to the bathroom as you looked in the mirror and saw pieces of bread stuck to your braces as it looked horrible.

Blush quickly moved onto your face as you ran out and got your bag and sat by yourself the rest of lunch.

From that moment, you never really smiled at Myungsoo, or you would cover your smile when you did. You wanted to make a good impression but you liked him and always made a fool of yourself no matter what you did.

Tripping over your own feet, busting out into a loud laugh when it was completely silent, or when you tried to ask him something but you stumbled over your words. No matter what you always looked like a fool but now you could make a new impression with your smile.

Closing your eyes slowly, you entered dream land as you only could conjure up what Myungsoo would be like when you met him the next day.

Getting up early, you put on a white t shirt that barely covered your shoulders, a black vest accompanied it with a khaki skirt that was pleated, just like the school uniform. Black sneakers was the final touch as you put your hair over your shoulders as you were impressed with the way you looked in your full length mirror. But with the bright smile on your face you knew that you could face anything today.

Students walked to school as you barely could keep your smile hidden from the world around you. Rocking out to your favorite songs that played in your ear, you couldn’t loose today.

Moving through the halls, you walked into your homeroom as Myungsoo sat across the room from you as you pulled out your book as you waited for his arrival. He walked in with a nice denim shirt with a black tank top that was peeping through underneath as his black pants hugged his toned legs. Your jaw began to drop as he looked over at you. Lifting his hand he slightly waved at you as you smiled brightly at him as you waved back.

Myungsoo hadn’t seemed to notice quite yet but you were happy that he was the first one that you smiled at today.

Getting back to your work, you moved your lips to the words of your song as Myungsoo just sat and watched you as he smiled at you, wondering what was different about you today.

Making your way through your day, you held yourself up high with your shoulders back as you smiled at everyone. Hearing whispers as you walked by didn’t matter today, you just took it that you looked stunning and that they loved your smile.

The sun moved in the sky creating new shadows in your classrooms as you played with your pencil and doodled in the margins of your papers. Getting back some tests, you slipped them into your backpack as you went through the motions of school.

When the afternoon bell rang to dismiss everyone from school, you stayed behind to hand in your paper that you had asked your teacher to go over for you. Waiting around for her to grade and make her corrections, you looked out the window as the sun began to fade and the afternoon thunder clouds began to rumble in. Tinting the sky and the light, the florescent lights filled the school as the outside world became dark, yet no rain fell.

Once she finished with your paper, you looked over it carefully, asking your questions as needed before you picked up your backpack and put it over your shoulders and walked down the deserted, empty halls. The clicking of your shoes against the smooth floor was the only sound.

Pushing the doors open, you began to walk to the main gate as a hand gently rested on your shoulder. Slowly, you turned your head to see the strong, veined hand on your shoulder. With your eyes slowly moving up the sleeve to the face of the person, it was Myungoso. Everything stopped as you looked into his brown eyes as he just smiled and moved his hand from your shoulder.

"I’m glad I caught you, I wanted to ask you something." Myungsoo said as you looked at him in awe that he was actually talking to you.

"What is your question?" You acknowledged. Myungsoo took a step towards you as you turned around and faced him as he brought in a deep breath before he slid his hands in his pockets.

"There is just something different about you today." He chimed quietly as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I can’t figure it out." You smiled brightly as his eyes moved over your face as he clapped his hands together with a bright face on, almost as if he had solved a big riddle.

"D-Did you get your braces off?" He asked you as he pointed to your mouth as you nodded happily.

"No wonder you looked so beautiful today." He muttered as a embarrassed smile came on his face.

"Thank you" You responded as you felt some drops of rain fall onto you as you looked up into the grey gloomy sky. A downpour began as Myungsoo thought on his feet and grabbed your hand as he ran with you to the park where there was a small shelter.

Reaching the small telephone booth, you went in first as he held the door open for you, he came in after you as it was barely big enough for the two of you. Closing the door behind him, his hand pressed up against the glass over your shoulder as rain followed the curvature of his face as it dripped off of his chin, your hair was soaked and your clothes clung to your body as you both tried to catch your breath.

Both of you eyes locked as the rain pounded against the small phone booth as his face became closer to yours, his warm breath flowed over your cold, wet skin as you looked into his eyes that twinkled with passion.

"M-Myungsoo?" You broke the silence as he blinked his eyes encouraging you to go on. "I-I don’t know how to put this but…" Moving slightly under his gaze, you backed up against the wall of the booth as Myungsoo just moved closer to you. Suddenly being at a loss for words, he tilted his wet head as his eyes fluttered closer.

His cold, wet lips touched yours as the rain pounded against the glass. Slowly shutting your eyes, Myungsoo moved his lips on top of yours gently massaging them with his own before he pulled away slightly. You watched his eyes flutter open as he smiled, sending goosebumps over your cold, wet skin.

"I like you, a lot." He said as his other hand gently brushed your hair that clung to your skin behind your ear. "You look so beautiful when you smile."

"Even when I had braces?" You asked as he smirked and nodded. "B-But I made all of those mistakes and always had food in my teeth and I couldn’t eat what others could." Blinking your eyes slowly, you focused downward as his cold hand gently lifted up your chin to look at him in the eyes properly.

"I love your smile, because it was yours, it was my favorite part of the day to see you smiles. Braces or not, I loved it." The rain began to let up as he kept gazing into your eyes. "It was your smile and that is why I loved it, it was part of you, it showed who you really were."

Blushing at his words, you began to feel warm instead of cold as he moved his hand from over your shoulder as he opened the phone booth, getting out first, you followed as his hands hung to his side.

"I love your smile too, it was my little ray of sunshine." You said as you slipped your hand through his. The sun began to push the grey clouds as the two of you smiled as he walked you home.