05: Black

Painted Nails & Backup Plans
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
05  Black is for Heartbreak    “Noona, your phone’s been ringing for the nth time since last night. Can you please answer it already?” Junhong complained, walking towards the fridge to grab the carton of milk as his sister’s phone rang continuously on the marble countertop.
  “You know who the freaking hell’s calling. And you know I won’t freaking answer it.”
  He stared at his sister guiltily. “You hate him that much now?” he asked.
  It was just absurd. Pathetic even. Just yesterday morning they were talking lovey-dovey on the phone, just days ago they almost made out, just weeks ago they were having dinner together, just months ago they were so happy.
  Maybe Junhong just didn’t know how it was like being hurt. He was just a mere teenager after all. Maybe he didn’t understand how a girl feels if her boyfriend cheats on her. Maybe he was just guilty, knowing that somehow he had something to do with what was happening to her sister. Maybe his conscience was just bugging him since he still hadn’t tell her everything.
  “I don’t hate him, Junhong,” she declared honestly. “You know how people need some alone time to comprehend themselves again? That’s what we need now. I just need time to decipher myself again. I mean, I’m still hurting. I need time to mend myself. And I don’t need Jongin for me to mend myself. I don’t need him now. He needs time to repent and realize what wrong he’d done. And he should do that alone too.”
  Junhong just rolled his eyes at Jinri’s corny, cliché answer. “You’re so dramatic, really.”
  Not really in the mood to talk about it again, the female just let the topic slip off.
  “By the way, why are you still just in your tracksuit?” she asked, noticing his brother wearing his favorite grey pair of Nike sweatpants and hoodie.
  “Class starts at 1PM today and ends at 5. I’ll just take the bus or something.”
  “You sure? You know I can always drive you home or pick you up.”
  “Yeah. But I also know you’ll stay late at the B Tower today since Fashion Week’s just two weeks away. Are you done with your collection, by the way? What’s your theme again?” he asked, drinking from his glass of milk.
  “Streetwear. And, no, still not done. I’ll just text you what time I’ll be going home then.”
  Jinri grabbed her keys and phone on top of the counter as she strode towards the couch to get her humungous, dinosaur-sized off-white Versace bag and her denim jacket hanging on the backrest of the sofa.
  “I’ll be going now. Bye. Take care, okay? No monkey business, Junhongie.”
  He faked a laugh. “Still acting like I’m in elementary, huh? I got everything under control, okay.”
  Jinri her teeth. As usual, her little brother was still acting like this mature, independent boy he was not. “Fine, fine,” she muttered as she slammed the door shut, walking to her pink mustang parked inside their garage.     “You still haven’t told her?” Jungkook asked as he pressed the button of the gamepad vigorously, his body even leaning left together with his black and gold luxurious Ferrari flashed on the LCD.
  Just before lunch, Junhong decided to dress up early and go to Jungkook’s condo in Kline before going to their university. Just to play some video games and talk. He just needed to talk to his buddy. With all the stress, guilt, and pressure, he needed some time to think straight, to get some relaxed time. Jungkook was just the right guy. He was always the right guy in times like this. That was why even if his best friend lives in the city, Junhong sure finds time to hang out with him. After all, his partner in crime lived alone in his condo, which meant they could do whatever they want with no one stopping them. They even called his unit as ‘The Headquarter’ actually.
  “Jesus, Kook. If you are the one in my position, tell me how the freaking hell will you confess. And it’s not like I’m completely the one to blame. I mean, I planned her and Sehun to do it. It’s not my fault Soojung and my sis’ alien boyfriend did it.”
  Jongkook shrugged. “You know, no matter what, you still have to tell her you planned something even if it didn’t happen.”
  The blonde guy shoved a handful of chips in his mouth. “I will. Just not now. If you saw her last night, it was worst than her PMS-ing. I even thought she threw the vase out the window out of frustration. I’ve never seen her like that. She could freaking eat me alive, man. It was ing scary.”
  “You think she really likes that Jongin?”
  Junhong shook his head. “I don’t know. But I’m quite sure she likes him more than Minho.”
  “Well, yeah, that’s pretty obvious. So,” Jungkook said, standing up to get two cans of soda from the fridge, “you’re just waiting for her head to cool off before spilling everything?”   “That’s the plan,” the older boy responded, his cheese-covered fingers.
  “Another plan, huh?”
  “It’s the backup plan, idiot.”
  “Your backup plan is to confess now that things are already freaking blown up to our faces? How wise, Junhong. Really, really wise,” he commended sarcastically, placing the cans on the glass table in front of their couch.
  Junhong rolled his eyes, grabbed his can of soda and admitted, “Okay, fine. Actually, I have no backup plan. Well, first, I didn’t ing expect for our plan to backfire. Second, the original plan was just so flawless, okay? Flaw ing less, Jungkook. Third, I don’t know what the freaking hell happened.”
  “Jongin and Soojung happened, dude,” Junkook stated, sipping from his can.
  “Yeah, right. Jongin happened. That bastard really does me no good.”
  “Why do you hate him so much anyway? The first time your sister introduced him to you, you acted like this old lady menopausing or something. It was like some ing *misanthropy, man.”   “Misanthro – what?” he asked in confusion, his face all scrunched up. He gulped from his can before continuing. “You know, man, you just know it. There’s no explanation, really. It’s like some brotherly intuition or something. I don’t know. I just have this feeling.”   “Now you’re a psychic, huh?”
  “Correction, . I’m a cool, hot-as- psychic.”
  “Yeah, whatever floats your boat, man. And you have this feeling, Mr. Psychic, that Sehun’s good for your sis?” 
  “Sure. They, like, you know, complement each other or something. Just apply some science, love, astrology, and , dude, and then you get SeJin.”
  The other boy’s brows furrowed. “Se – what?”
  “SeJin, . It’s a couple name. Sehun and Jinri. SeJin.”
  Jungkook's eyes automatically widened. “Jesus, Junhong, that’s one of the stuffs teenage girls do these days. Be honest with me, dude, like, really honest with me,” he cried, facing his friend fully together with his whole body. Now they were sitting on the couch, face to face, legs crossed in front of them.   “Are you... gay?” Jungkook asked in a serious tone. Just almost too serious.
  “Yes, Kook,” Junhong answered dramatically with as much seriousness as the other. “I’m gay. And I’m in love with you, Jungkook. I’m in love with you.”
  Jungkook flinched as he jumped off the couch; his hands rubbed his arms, trying to make the goosebumps go away. “My goodness, I feel . Holy cow, man. Do you have some gender issues for real? You’re just so natural saying it.”
  “Come here, Kookie, my love. Let me cuddle you.” Jungkook then s
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter