Two Letter Word

Two Letter Word

Two Letter Word


 

“Hi.”

 

Soojung looked up from the book she’s been reading and saw Sehun stood in front of her.

 

Soojung’s eyes darted from side to side. No one’s around; not around her, not around him. Unmistakably, Oh Sehun was talking to her, Jung Soojung.

 

“Um… hi?”

 

Sehun smiled, a lopsided one. Then, “Bye.”

 

“… bye?” Soojung was frowning hard, but Sehun only nodded, contented with the confused goodbye and he walked away, hands shoved deep into his pocket while whistling.

 

At night before Soojung closed her eyes, she faintly remembered the song Sehun whistled to; it was a soundtrack to Full House, wasn’t it?  

 

***

 

Jung Soojung read, a lot. She read when the lessons got boring (secretly putting her textbook over her novel), she read between classes, she read after school, she read before she went to sleep; she read. Her friends already accustomed seeing her nose buried in thick novels, Jinri was no longer questioning how on earth Soojung could finish those books (Jinri wasn’t the type to read, she preferred watching movies) and Hyeri already gave up trying to separate Soojung from her books (Soojung was seriously upset with her when Hyeri hided Soojung’s book once, apparently Soojung was getting into the crucial part and she’s dying to know the continuation) while Sohyun was never really mind in the beginning (she didn’t mind a lot of things, always smiled cheerfully at the world).

 

Now, when it came to social hierarchy (they’re in high school, that thing was inevitable), Soojung and her friends were pretty much in the middle, except Hyeri. Hyeri was stunningly beautiful, after all, and she’s a social butterfly. While for Soojung, she got slightly more popular during school’s athletic festival because she’s actually quite an athlete, but that was it. Some people knew her, some others didn’t.

 

And honestly, she thought Oh Sehun would be in the latter category.

 

Sehun was quite high in the social hierarchy; his group was the ‘it’ guys. Everybody knew them, Kangjun who was in the student council, Namjoon and Hoseok the gag duo everyone loved, Hyunil the basketball player, and then there’s Sehun, the flower boy. They’re always willing to help out during school’s events, they’re loud and always in the center of the crowd, they’re not delinquents even though they’re indeed mischievous.

 

Soojung never talked to any of them, only Hoseok because they’re in the same class and they sat next to each other (because they’re both Jung and they sat according to the name).  So it really baffled Soojung, the encounter with Sehun the previous day. Moreover it happened at the library, Soojung’s haven, and Soojung never saw any of the guys there. And honestly, Sehun was the last person she would guess as the type that went to the library.

 

Sehun was handsome and beautiful at the same time; tall, broad shoulder, pale smooth skin, high nose, thick eyebrows, pointy chin… the list of his perfection went on a long way. Something about his aura made him look relaxed and laid-back, maybe the way he walked in the back of his group, sluggish and taking his time, or maybe his half-lidded eyes, or maybe the lopsided smile on his face while biting the lollipop stick between his lips – that’s another thing about Sehun, he’s on sugar almost all the time so it’s weird because the guy was certainly not a hyper one. Soojung just thought Sehun looked like an airhead.

 

Maybe Sehun was just being friendly, Soojung, something that you must certainly won’t understand, her mind told her. And stop judging a book by its cover. Her mind scoffed.

 

So Soojung pushed the wonder into the back of her mind and used her time to re-read her favorite book series all over again.  

 

***

 

“Hi, Soojung.”

 

It happened again.

 

Soojung was reading alone during lunchtime, out in the school’s yard, near the outdoor basketball court. Jinri and Sohyun went to the canteen to buy food while Hyeri was still caught up with something, leaving Soojung and her book waiting, she’s sitting on the steps that circled the field. 

 

The girl looked up from her book, again, finding someone looking down to her. He blocked the light with his body and the sun shone behind him, making his face shadowed. Soojung couldn’t see his face clearly with the blinding light, so she narrowed her eyes. That’s when she realized it was Sehun.

 

“... Hi,” she said, still uncertain even though this time it’s pretty clear the greeting was directed at her.

 

Sehun pulled the lollipop in his mouth with a pop sound. “You’re reading again,” he said, peeking curiously at the book in Soojung’s lap.

 

“Um, yes,” she lifted her book so Sehun could see the cover – maybe the book was Sehun’s main interest after all.

 

“Oh, it’s different from the last one.”

 

Soojung didn’t know that Sehun noticed. “Well, yes… This is the number two in the series.”

 

“Hum,” Sehun nodded absent-mindedly. “Is it good?”

 

“I guess?” Soojung raised her eyebrows. Where this conversation was going, she couldn’t tell. “I like it.”

 

Sehun shoved his lollipop back into his mouth as he scrutinized Soojung’s features. Then his lips broke into a smile. “That’s good, then.”

 

“Um…,” Soojung shifted restlessly.

 

“Goodbye.” The ghost of Sehun’s smile still lingered on his face, faint, dim.

 

“Oh. Bye.” Soojung watched as Sehun walked across the field to his own group in the other side of the steps, again, while whistling. Some other kids were playing basketball and the ball flew right at Sehun – for a moment Soojung was horrified because the ball went directly to Sehun’s head – but Sehun simply raised one arm to catch the ball and threw it back to the players.

 

“What was that?!” an excited whisper came from her side and Soojung turned her head right at the moment Hyeri plopped down next to her. “You’re talking with Oh Sehun? You know him?”

 

“I… don’t, actually,” Soojung admitted, returning her gaze to Sehun. He’s already sitting with his friends, and thanks to her perfect eyesight Soojung could see the smile tugging at Sehun’s lips. But she wasn’t sure if Sehun was looking at her or not. “… He just said hi… and asking me about my book.”

 

Hyeri creased her eyebrows. “Really? Aaaw… I thought you can help me with Hyunil,” Hyeri sighed and threw secret glances at Hyenil who was playing basketball. Hyeri had been crushing hard on the boy.

 

“… Hyeri. Do you remember the soundtrack of Full House? The main one, what was it?”

 

“Uh… I think I know what are you talking about but I just can’t find the melody in my head.”

 

“What are you two talking about?” Jinri made her sudden entrance, jumping over two steps and sat beside Soojung, immediately pushed a chip in front of Soojung’s mouth. Sohyun followed behind her and sat in front of the three girls, carefully placing the breads she just bought on the step.

 

“Full House’s soundtrack,” Soojung said while munching her chip.

 

“Ah, Byul? This one?” Sohyun started to hum the song.

 

Soojung nodded. “Yes, that one. What’s the title?”

 

“I can’t remember. Why?”

 

“What are you guys, cave girls? Just search it on the internet,” Jinri said impatiently, pulling out her phone and started typing. “… Full House… soundtrack… Byul… Ah! I Think I!” she yelled and handed her phone to Soojung.

 

Quietly, Soojung read the lyric of the song.

 

I think I love you, I think that’s what it is
’Cause I miss you, whenever you’re not around
I cannot do anything
And I keep thinking of you
Whenever I realize this, I think
I’m falling for you

 

“Why you’re suddenly asking for the song, Soojungie?” Sohyun craned her neck to look at Jinri’s phone too.

 

“Nothing. I’ve just heard the melody yesterday... and it’s bugging me.” Soojung returned Jinri’s phone to the owner, who gave the screen a quick look before pocketing it.

 

“Ah, why are you stop playing?” they could hear Hyeri hissed to no one – well actually to Hyunil, who wiped his forehead with a wide grin as he approached his friends on the side.

 

Namjoon was standing in front of his friends and apparently he was telling something funny, because his friends broke into a great laugh with Hoseok being the loudest, slapping his thigh exaggeratedly. Soojung saw Sehun’s eyes turned into a mere slits and crinkles were formed near his eyes when he laughed. Suddenly Sehun’s eyes moved to her direction and he tilted his head, his laugh disappeared into a gentle smile.

 

Soojung picked up her book and continued reading, only half-listening Jinri, Sohyun, and Hyeri chatted around her.

 

***

 

Sehun, apparently, was everywhere, now that Soojung’s aware of his presence. At least, a part of him was.

 

Of course there’s Hoseok in her class, and Soojung was her class’ representative, guess who’s in student council? The cool, quiet Kangjun. When Soojung spent one lunch in Jinri and Sohyun’s class, there’s Namjoon – and somehow his group was spending their lunchtime on Namjoon’s class too that day. Meanwhile, Hyeri just kept on talking about Hyunil, who was Sehun’s classmate, so they were spotted together a lot.

 

It’s not that Soojung spent her waking time thinking about Sehun, and she’s not trying to not think about Sehun either, it’s just that she noticed him and his friends more.

 

And the universe had its own way with encounters.

 

“Can we join you here? We can’t find any other table,” a rather composed and calm voice asking, making the four girls in the table looked up and met eyes with Kangjun. He smiled charmingly, confidence was flowing from his movements.

 

Hyeri’s eyes widened when she realized Hyunil was there too, standing behind Kangjun. His eyes met Hyeri’s and she quickly smiled, “Of course, we can make space for you guys.” Soojung noted that Hyeri didn’t look nervous whatsoever, but knowing Hyeri and her endless praises for Hyunil, Soojung was quite impressed with Hyeri’s calmness.

 

Hyunil sat beside Hyeri and Soojung only realized that Sehun sat down beside her when he said ‘Hi’ to her.

 

“Hi,” Soojung replied back. “You… don’t eat?” she asked, out of politeness (or curiosity mixed with bluntness), when she saw Sehun didn’t carry his tray. He munched on something, though, and Soojung smelt grapefruit, so it’s probably chewing gum.

 

“Sehun lives on sugar,” it was Hyunil in front of Sehun who answered.

 

Sehun raised his eyebrows at Soojung. He picked out something from his pocket and opened his palm in front of Soojung, Soojung was right, it was chewing gum, and not only grapes, there’s orange, mint, and strawberry flavor too.

 

Soojung shook her head. “You’re not hungry?”

 

Sehun shrugged lazily, leaving a strawberry bubblegum in front of Soojung’s plate anyway. He pocketed back the rest.

 

“But you eat breakfast, right?” Soojung still found it hard that there’s someone who preferred chewing gum over real food.

 

“Are you worried,” the boy replied in a hushed tone so that only Soojung could hear him, Sehun’s lips curled upward at one side, it’s not a real smile, not a smirk either, Soojung wasn’t sure.

 

At this Soojung frowned. “I’m not,” she wasn’t. “Just… it’s… weird.”

 

Sehun stared at her for a while before he smiled, hand raised to ruffled her hair. Soojung was too puzzled to react.

 

“Oh, is our baby Soojungie making friends?” Soojung turned her head when Jinri spoke, eyes big with excitement with the prospect that Soojung made some conversation with other people than the three of them. Soojung was not the most sociable person with her reading addiction.

 

“Baby Soojungie is friends with our baby Sehunnie?” Namjoon mimicked Jinri and they all laughed, including Jinri, but not after she kicked Namjoon’s leg under the table.

 

“You’re the youngest,” Sehun picked a cherry tomato from Soojung’s plate and threw it at Namjoon’s direction, who ducked with exaggerated movements that Sohyun couldn’t stop giggling, more over when Hoseok joined Namjoon and they suddenly danced comically together.

 

“But I was going to eat that…,” Soojung stared at the cherry tomato, now rolling on the floor after Sehun missed his target. Sehun put another gum for replacement.  

 

Soojung had two strawberry chewing gums as her dessert.

 

***

 

The next time Sehun approached her was at the library again, and this time Sehun leaned over from her side to look at the book’s cover before his eyes glanced to Soojung, “Hi.”

 

Soojung was already staring at Sehun since the brunette showed up beside her. “Hi.”

 

“What number of the series this one?”

 

“Four.”

 

“You’re fast,” Sehun pulled the chair beside her and sat down. “The books are thick.”

 

Soojung didn’t have an answer, she just shrugged her shoulders and waited for Sehun to said something else. It didn’t seem polite to just ignore him and go back to read, so Soojung waited; until Sehun left or something.

 

But Sehun just sat and played with the lollipop in his mouth and that made Soojung slightly wondered about the no food rules in the library, whether the librarian was genuinely didn’t know that Sehun had a lollipop on his mouth or she let him because it’s Oh Sehun, the school’s heart-throb.

 

“You’re not going to read again?” Sehun made a slight wave with his left hand to Soojung’s book.

 

Soojung threw a hesitant glance at Sehun.

 

“Oh, don’t mind me,” Sehun moved the lollipop from his left cheek to his right. “Just read, like you always do.”

 

At first Soojung couldn’t fully concentrate on her book, re-reading some paragraphs because she just read without really read it, she’s not used to someone else’s presence near her when she read. Even her friends would leave her alone when Soojung was immersed in her books, and Sehun just sat there, all quiet with his lollipop, before he took out his phone and played with it.

 

About an hour later Soojung realized it’s probably already the time for her to go home and she looked up from her book, eyes immediately stumbled to a strawberry yoghurt lollipop on the desk. She turned her head to the side.

 

Soojung didn’t notice when Sehun left her alone.

 

***

 

The next day, after lunch, Soojung was already seated on her seat, preparing the books for the next lesson when Hoseok walked in into class. He sat down and a moment later, as if he just remembered, he d around his pocket before producing a pack of gummy worm. He put it on Soojung’s desk.

 

“From the Candy Boy,” Hoseok grinned, wriggling his eyebrows.

 

It took a moment for Soojung to stopped staring at the pack of gummy worm at her desk and looked at Hoseok instead. “Thank you,” she finally said, nodding her head a little.

 

Hoseok just grinned some more.

 

And it’s not the end of it.

 

Sehun’s ‘Hi’ became a routine, came at random times, but always when Soojung was reading. He said his ‘Hi’, checked on what book Soojung read that day, stayed for a while or longer, Soojung didn’t really pay attention, and then left behind something for Soojung – variations of candies and chocolates, anything sweet.

 

No, Soojung, Oh Sehun doesn’t have any plan to make you have cavities… or diabetes, Soojung’s mind assured her. Now be smart and ask him about it. Or ask Hyeri. She knows stuff like this. Or maybe not, Hyeri won’t stop fussing about it. And Jinri is actually even worse than Hyeri. Then, Sohyun?

 

But for some reasons Soojung kept it to herself, the fact the school’s flower boy took interest in what Soojung read, or the fact that he kept her company in the library after school with no reason at all, leaving behind traces in the form of lollipops and candies when Soojung forgot about his presence completely, or how she noticed Oh Sehun more and more every day.

 

***

 

Soojung quite fond of codes and puzzles, but she’s not sure she liked the one Kangjun gave her. She wasn’t sure if a puzzle at all, but Soojung felt the need to decipher his words so maybe it was a code after all.

 

There was a student council meeting that day and Kangjun was sitting beside Soojung, listening to the president attentively and taking notes. Soojung heard that Kangjun was going to run for election next year.

 

Two hours later and the meeting was over, loud screeches were heard when the students pushed their chairs back on their way to stood up. Soojung gathered her stuffs, putting them all neatly inside her bag so they wouldn’t crush her book, and she was about to leave when Kangjun offered her a box of chocolates with his usual charming smile.

 

“No, thank you,” was Soojung’s immediate reflex, mistaking the action as Kangjun offered her if she wanted a piece, and then Kangjun smiled wider.

 

“It’s from Sehun,” Kangjun said, looking amused as he watched how Soojung’s expression changed.

 

“Oh,” Soojung said quietly. She’s still staring at the chocolate box in Kangjun’s hand. “… Then,” she reached out politely to take the box from Kangjun. “Thank you.”

 

Kangjun shrugged good-naturedly. “It’s not from me.”

 

“I…,” Soojung opened , and Kangjun looked at her patiently, “… Why?”

 

“You’re still asking why?” Kangjun chuckled. “Isn’t it obvious enough?” Seeing the doubt look at Soojung’s face, Kangjun shook his head, again, looking amused. “I’ll tell Sehun he needs to change his strategy. Well, if it’s any help, Sehun never shares his candies with anyone, even us. Maybe sometimes, when he’s feeling generous. But never like this.”

 

Soojung ended up thinking about Kangjun’s words more than she intended too, and she didn’t get a lot of read that night.

 

***

 

“Hi, Soojung.”

 

“Hi, Sehun,” Soojung turned around and faced the window instead. It was break time and she was out in the hall with Sohyun while Hyeri and Jinri went to the bathroom. Sehun was outside, it seemed like he was playing soccer with the other boys and now he’s leaning to the window frame, resting his folded arms there while putting his chin on top of his arms. Sohyun was watching over them curiously, but unlike Jinri or Hyeri she didn’t like to meddle in.

 

“Do you know that next Sunday we have a basketball match with M high school?” Sehun asked with his half-lidded eyes, his skin glistened with sweat and Sehun tried to flip his fringe away from his forehead, but his damp hair stuck on his face stubbornly and it seemed Sehun was too lazy to change position.

 

Soojung took pity and she brushed Sehun’s hair away, the sweat wetted her fingers. Sehun looked up at her and he beamed at her with his eyes. “Thanks. You can wipe your hand on my uniform. Oh, but it’s also sticky.” Sehun stopped to sniff at himself. “And I smell too. Sorry.”

 

The girl shook her head to show that she didn’t mind. Sehun did smell, and Soojung thought no sweat smelled good, but Sehun smelled like… like a man, if Soojung had to describe it. It’s not entirely unpleasant.

 

“The basketball match, yes, I know,” Soojung answered Sehun’s previous question.

 

“I thought you don’t, you don’t seem the type that watches the school’s matches.”

 

“Hmm, true. But there’s a reason.” And that would be Hyeri was always dragged them to Hyunil’s matches just so she could cheer on him, pleasing her eyes with about an hour or so of watching the apple of her eyes played basketball. She said she needed her friends for moral support, or to simply put, she needed someone to listen to her rambling about how cool, how handsome, how perfect Kim Hyunil was. Soojung brought her book with her and spent the time reading instead.

 

“Then, are you coming?” Sehun asked again. But before Soojung could answer, Sehun already added, “I’m playing. I want you to come.”

 

Ignoring her wonder about Sehun’s last sentence, Soojung asked instead, “You’re in the team?”

 

“Not really. The match is pretty important and some players were injured, so they ask for my help,” Sehun explain, chin still rested on his arms. “So, you’ll be there?”

 

“I will.”

 

“Great,” Sehun was beaming again. It made Soojung unsettled.

 

“Sehun,” Soojung called before Sehun left her to return to the soccer field. Sehun turned around. “Thank you… For yesterday’s chocolate. I… like milk chocolate. And fruit and nut.”

 

“Noted!” Sehun raised his thumb, walking backward for a while before he jogged back to the field.

 

“So…,” Sohyun slid into Soojung’s side after Sehun left, “Can I ask what was that, Soojungie?” Sohyun looked up at her with her big innocent eyes. “We have thirty seconds before Jinri and Hyeri return.” And she grinned sheepishly because they both at the same wavelength, Jinri and Hyeri could be nosy sometimes.

 

“I’m not sure,” Soojung said, turning her body to Sohyun. She stared at Sohyun’s nails just so she could focus on something instead. Instead of thinking about why.

 

Sohyun patted her head motherly and she didn’t ask more about it.

 

***

 

For the first time in her life, Soojung didn’t have any novel in her bag when she went to the basketball match and she felt strangely empty, almost felt like she left her phone behind at home. And Jinri went as far as looked at her with shock expression, “Who are you and what did you do to our baby maknae?” Soojung pinched her arm playfully.

 

Hyeri secured them a place right in the middle of their team’s supporters, made of not only their schoolmates but also the families of the players. Hyeri said something about it’s the perfect place, she could see Hyunil clearly, but it wouldn’t be too obvious either since there were three rows in front of them. But then her ‘secretly devoting all my love and prayers to Kim Hyunil’ was kind of ruined when Kangjun, Namjoon, and Hoseok shuffled their ways and sat beside the girls. She pouted, but then Jinri reminded her that at least this way Hyunil would look at their direction if he looked for his friends, and that comforted her.

 

When the players entered the court, Sehun and Hyunil walked together like the best friends they were, Sehun leaned over to Hyunil, seemingly listening to whatever Hyunil was talking about. From his hand’s gestures Soojung guessed it’s basketball related. Sehun cut his hair, undercut style, and he dyed his hair blond too. He looked… fresh. 

 

Sehun suddenly looked up, eyes moved around the rows of spectators as if he’s looking for something. Or someone. His friends must be noticed it too, because Hoseok stood up and yelled, “SEHUN!” so loud, even Namjoon beside him flinched.

 

Soojung could see Sehun’s eyes flew to Hoseok, who grinned foolishly, and then Sehun’s eyes moved from Hoseok to Namjoon beside him, and then to Kangjun, Hyeri, Jinri, Sohyun, and…

 

He smiled when he saw Soojung, eyes turned into that cute crescent shape. 

 

And Soojung was not the only one who realized Sehun’s smile was directed at her, because Hyeri, Jinri, and Sohyun all turned their heads to Soojung, along with several girls from the rows in front of them. Soojung wished she brought a novel with her right now.      

 

Sehun didn’t play until the second quarter, and for the first quarter he watched the game with serious eyes, biting his nails instead of a lollipop stick. Soojung had never seen Sehun played basketball before. He was good, at least Soojung thought he was with her minimum knowledge about basketball. He scored some points, and every time he succeeded he turned his head to Soojung and smiled.

 

Sohyun nudged her with her elbow several times.

 

Their school won the game with Hyunil as the MVP and Hyeri didn’t even care if Hyunil’s friends got suspicious of her when she screamed out Hyunil’s name during the game.

 

“Soojung,” Kangjun called out. “You should go down, Sehun must want to see you.”

 

Hyeri made the decision for her. “I’ll accompany you!” she said, too happily, and Soojung knew it meant You can talk to Sehun and let me have Hyunil. They said goodbye to Jinri and Sohyun before went down to the court and waited for the players who were still in the changing room. Hyeri practically pushed her to Sehun when the boys walked out, and Soojung thought at least someone’s happy when Hyeri got talk to Hyunil behind them. They walked to the bus stop like that, Soojung with Sehun while Hyeri with Hyunil.

 

“Hi,” Sehun said when he saw her, more cheerful than usual this time.

 

“Hi,” Soojung said back. “Congratulations.”

 

“Thank,” Sehun grinned. “I didn’t do much though.”

 

“I don’t think that’s true,” Soojung replied earnestly. Sehun glanced at her and he gave her his trademark smile, the lopsided one. He wiped his face and neck with a towel, and he already changed into a blue tank, his biceps flexed when he raised his arm. Soojung realized Sehun kept a good distance from her. “It’s okay,” Soojung blurted out before she fully realized it. Sehun turned his head. “You don’t smell bad.”

 

There, Sehun beamed again, and he walked closer to Soojung.

 

Hyeri was always loud, now was not an exception and Soojung could hear her voice from behind, “I don’t know that Sehun likes Soojung.” Soojung couldn’t hear Hyunil’s response, and she briefly thought Hyunil did a good job at keeping his voice low, unlike a certain person. And if Soojung could hear Hyeri, Sehun was most definitely can, too.

 

She glanced to Sehun, but Sehun didn’t say anything to deny Hyeri’s words. Instead, he just stared at Soojung, the corner of his mouth went upward just a little bit. Soojung looked away.

 

“Do you want some?” Sehun offered her a lollipop out of nowhere, a strawberry cream flavor.

 

Soojung took it. “Why do you always give me strawberry flavor?” not always, but almost.

 

“You don’t like it?”

 

“It’s fine…,” Soojung unwrapped the lollipop and it carefully, Sehun already shoved his own to his mouth.

 

“Strawberry reminds me of you,” Sehun said, twirling the lollipop stick.

 

“Why? Because I’m sour?”

 

Sehun chuckled. “No. Because strawberry is my favorite.”

 

Soojung listened to Byul’s I Think I several times that night.

 

***

 

On Monday, Sehun’s hair already changed to black, since their school only tolerated dark colors for hair. Soojung was kind of disappointed.

 

***

 

Even though Sehun didn’t say anything when he stayed with Soojung in the library, Soojung found it harder to ignore him and went back to read like usual. But she knew Sehun stayed longer now, taking out his homework and working on it beside Soojung.

 

Soojung went from acknowledging Sehun, talked to Sehun sometimes, and ended up worked her homework together with Sehun, her novel forgotten deep inside her bag.

 

Her dreams started to fill with crescent shape eyes that accompanied lopsided smiles.

 

***


“He hasn’t asked you out yet?” Jinri asked, incredulous, as they sat on the stone steps around the basketball court.

 

“Who?” Soojung asked back, slowly averting her gaze from Sehun who was playing basketball with his friends.

 

 “Oh Sehun, who else!”

 

“Why he should ask me out?”

 

Jinri closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. “Sohyun, please take over.”

 

Sohyun smiled and placed a hand on Soojung’s knee. “We’re pretty sure that he likes you, Soojungie. I mean, he’s been hanging around you awfully a lot, isn’t he? And well, his behavior during the basketball match pretty much gave it away.”

 

See? He doesn’t want you to have cavities. He likes you, Soojung’s mind said, satisfied.

 

“Like? Like, like... like Hyeri likes Hyunil?” Soojung just frowned at the stones on the steps under. The shapes were all different. Of course there’s no crescent shape.

 

“Probably not as much as I like Hyunil,” Soojung thought Hyeri wasn’t pay attention, with the way she eyed Hyunil from beside Jinri. “But yeah, that kind of like, Soojungie.”

 

Soojung kept quiet.

 

Jinri asked, “Do you like him too?”     

 

“… Huh?”

 

Sehun shot a three point and he turned to Soojung with a proud, almost childish look on his face.

 

Soojung’s heart made a thud at the innocent smile.

 

Oooooooh, Soojung’s mind went, That’s new.

 

***

 

“If you have some time, want to go and eat something?” Sehun asked after they finished their homework, ready to go home. Soojung blinked at the question, and Sehun was staring.

 

“Where to?” Soojung found herself asking.

 

“What about crepes? I know a place. They also sell sandwich, if you don’t feel like eating something sweet.”

 

 Soojung nodded.

 

They didn’t stay to eat at the café, eating their crepes while walking slowly towards Soojung’s house – Sehun said he’d take her home. Sehun chose strawberry and cream while Soojung ate banana and Nutella filling. Sehun shared some of his strawberry pieces to Soojung.

 

Soojung stared at the red strawberries on her crepes, remembering their conversation after the basketball match, also Sohyun’s words and Jinri’s question yesterday. She turned at Sehun, who just picked up a strawberry with his mouth. His mouth looked reddish now.

 

“Sehun.”

 

“Soojung.”

 

“Do you like me?”

 

“Hmm,” Sehun his lips clean. “I believe I do.”

 

“Why? Why me?”

 

“Because you’re adorable.”

 

Soojung often read about characters flushed red when they’re embarrassed and she always wondered if that was a real thing, because even when she’s flustered her skin remained the same; pale. But now she felt hot on her cheeks and she wanted to see herself in the mirror. Sehun kindly tell her, though.

 

“You’re red now, like these strawberries,” Sehun brought his crepe near Soojung’s face to compare the two. “I like it.”

 

“I’m not adorable,” finally Soojung said after she found her tongue.

 

“Because you don’t see what I see.”

 

“What do you see?”

 

“When you read? When you’re absorbed in your books… You made a lot of facial expression. Sometimes you’re frowning hard. The other times you simply look serious, and my favorite is when you smile. It makes me want to read what you read too. Or, you know, kiss you or something.”

 

Soojung stumbled on her legs but Sehun caught her arm before she fell flat on the ground. Soojung didn’t look at Sehun.

 

They didn’t exchange any words after that, Sehun was busy with his crepe and Soojung’s unfinished crepe while Soojung was busy with her mind. When they arrived at Soojung’s house, Sehun was already finished both of their crepes and he shoved his hands into his pockets, waiting for Soojung to get in.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Sehun said, the lopsided smile was on his face again.

 

Soojung stood still in her place, facing Sehun. He’s tall. He’ll need to lower down if he wants to kiss me. “I’ve never…”

 

Sehun raised his eyebrows.

 

“… kissed,” Soojung finished her sentence.

 

The smile on Sehun’s face was growing slowly until it’s a full grin. “It’s that an invitation or a permission?”

 

Soojung didn’t answer, and it seemed like it didn’t matter for Sehun either, because he’s staring at Soojung differently. He lowered his head and he tilted it sideways, moving closer to Soojung and closing the gap between them.

 

Soojung felt a lot of things at one when Sehun’s lips was on her own.

 

Her stomach clenched. She could feel her heart beat like crazy. She’s a little bit dizzy. Sehun’s lips were soft, but his breath was hot on her face. And there’s something sweet, it’s probably the Nutella, but mostly it was…

 

Sehun retreated back.

 

“… strawberry,” Soojung breathed out. She looked up at Sehun. “I like it.”

 

Sehun beamed. “That’s good, then,” he chuckled, the same comment he gave when Soojung told him she liked her books.

 

When Sehun ducked down to kiss her again, Soojung wondered whether she liked strawberries or she liked the kiss. Maybe both.

 

Maybe she liked the kiss better.

 

Or, you know, maybe you simply like Sehun.

 

***

 

“Eey, what is this,” Namjoon complained jokingly, “If I say hi to a girl, will I get a kiss too?”

 

The complaint came from how Sehun said ‘Hi’ to Soojung and Soojung replied with another ‘Hi’ before Sehun pecked her cheek, sitting down beside her to eat their lunch together with their friends.

 

Sehun stole a meatball from Soojung’s plate. “Go try it, then,” he nodded to Jinri and Sohyun who sat beside Namjoon.

 

“… Hi,” Namjoon said greasily, lowering his voice and wriggling his eyebrows, then added a wink in the end.

 

Jinri rolled her eyes while Sohyun burst laughing.

 

“It’s not working if you’re not Sehun, man,” Hoseok patted his shoulder. “Or Kangjun,” he waved his hand to Kangjun, who shook his head after his friends’ antics, “Or Hyunil.”

 

“I can do that too?” Hyunil asked and Hoseok raised his thumb in encouragement. “Then…,” Hyunil turned to Hyeri in front of him, “Hi?”

 

Hyeri choked on her food while Hyunil smirked in front of her, offering her a glass of water.

 

Sehun rested his head on Soojung’s shoulder, chuckling and she could feel his body vibrated beside her.

 

Soojung had strawberry chewing gums for her dessert that day.

 

She also had a strawberry-taste kiss after school.

 

***

 

It started with a simple two letter word, from Sehun to Soojung.

 


 

I shuddered at how cheesy this is when I re-read it. Thanks for reading!