[1/10]

Advanced Placement

 

 Key stands in his shower a six twelve in the morning, open mouthed. He stares down at the decision he made in his hand and thinks it's too early to be awake. He sets the shampoo bottle down and pretends he didn't just try to use it as body wash. 

He closes his mouth when he realizes he's taking in a little bit too much water, and picks up the body wash he had meant to grab, proceeding with the shower. 

*


Key takes too long in the shower. He pulls on a fitted tee and some black , grabs his back pack and takes the stairs two steps at a time.

In the kitchen, Dongwoon is scrambling trying to get work done at his kitchen table. A muffin hangs from his mouth, and Key tries not to laugh at his best friend from birth. The house is empty, besides the two; Key's mom already left to start her nursing duties.

Key grabs a banana off the counter and Dongwoon looks up. “Your hair's still wet,” he says around his muffin.

“Yeah, don't remind me, okay? What are you doing?” Key responds and points to Dongwoon's notebook and books before him.

“Chemistry. Did you do it last night?” Is the answer, and Dongwoon finishes his muffin.

“Yeah. You can see it at school,” Key says at checks the clock. It's six fifty two and class starts at seven forty five. Key reasons he didn't take that long in the shower.

“Did you hear about the new Psychology teacher?” Dongwoon asks while he packs his stuff back into his back pack. “He's starting today.”

“Woonie, I take Psych. Of course I have.”

“Oh, yeah. I kinda forget since we have it different periods.”

Key shakes his wet hair and grabs his keys and jacket before putting on his . He exits the small house with Dongwoon, locking the door behind him.

Dongwoon and Key have literally lived next to each other their entire lives. It's not something out of the ordinary to see Dongwoon or Key at the other's house; they practically live with each other. That was how Son Dongwoon became Kim Kibum's best friend, and vice versa. 

Every morning, Dongwoon enters Key's kitchen just as Key's mother leaves for work. He finds something to munch on while he waits for the younger to finish his morning routine. 

“Ugh, I should have started this up sooner,” Key says as he slips into the driver's seat of his little red car, Dongwoon in the passenger's seat. 
The frigid December air swirls around in the small, cramped space. Key claps his hands together and bounces in his seat, waiting for the heat to take over and the windows to defrost. “I hate winter,” Key says.

Dongwoon grabs a pair of gloves out of his pocket, looks over at Key, grabs another. He tosses one at the driver while he slips on his own pair. “Y-yeah. It's t-too cold. I'm glad I play an indoor sport,” he says and hugs himself in the seat.

“I'm glad you do, too. I don't want to freeze at your basketball games,” Key says and checks his mirrors when the heat starts to melt his body. “Unlike Mir and Joon who like to play Tennis in the fall.”

Dongwoon laughs and sits back in the seat as Key starts to pull out of the drive way.

*


“Do you think Min will like this shirt?” Joon asks as he inspects the long sleeved striped sweater he wears.

“Joon, does Min even know you exist?” Mir asks from the table and everyone laughs.

Joon frowns like he's offended and sits at the edge of the table. “She - she knows I exist.” 

“It's okay. I'm sure you've gotten farther than Kikwang and Hyosung,” Mir says and everyone laughs again.

Kikwang looks up from the Chemistry homework he's coping with Dongwoon. “Wha?” he asks.

“Nothing,” Key laughs and pats his back. “Nothing.”

At that moment, Junhyung, with a laughing Hong Ki at his side, walk up to the table. 

“Morning,” the senior says and slips into the table while Hong Ki stands at the head of it. “So, has anyone seen the new Psych teacher yet?” 

“It's not even first period,” Key says in a monotone. “I wont know what all this hype is about until the end of the day anyway. I don't have Psych till seventh period.”

“Last period of the day. Your day will end with him,” Junhyung replies.

“Joy,” Key rolls his eyes.

“Dongwoonie, you have Psych early in the day, right?” Junhyung asks.

Dongwoon finishes scribbling whatever nonsense he's writing about solutions and looks up. “Uh, yeah. Second.”

The bell rings before anyone else can say anything more.

*


“So, is he as awesome as I keep hearing?” Key asks while he puts his stuff away before lunch.

Dongwoon shrugs and smiles. “He's pretty cool. Really young. I think you'll like him.”

“As long as he isn't one of those stupid teachers who don't teach.” 

“It's too soon to tell.”

Dongwoon goes off to the lunch line while Key sits down and digs through his book bag for his lunch.

“So I heard a note got misplaced somewhere in the pass-the-note-along network,” Mir says as he sits down with his tray of food.

“Ugh, what is this? Kindergarten?” Key rolls his eyes and opens a bottle of water and a bag of crackers.

“Key,” Mir starts before he's joined by a very loud Hongki and a laughing Junhyung. “The jock of the school likes you.”

“We're not on this again, are we?” Doojoon asks when he sits down, Yoseob taking the seat next to him. 

“No, we're not. We're really not,” Key responds.

“What? The fact that Choi Minho has a thing for Kim Kibum?” Yoseob asks before biting into something Key doesn't know the name of.

“We're not on this,” Key repeats.

Before anyone else can mention the subject again, Joon sits down at the table and stares across at a table full of girls. “Do you think if I went to say hi, she'd say hi back?” he asks while resting his hand on his chin and tilting his head.

No one answers because everyone at the table knows Joon doesn't want an answer. Joon knows he's kind of crazy and doesn't say the smartest things, but he's always been friendly and able to make lots of friends. In the case of Min, he has no such luck.

Dongwoon joins Key at the table with his tray of food. He begins to devour his lunch and Key chuckles because Dongwoon sort of forgets to inhale.

“Dongwoon, tell us about the Psych teacher,” Junhyung says after a moment of silence.

“He's young. Oh, and short. Like really short. I think he has a complex,” Dongwoon answers after swallowing whatever he was eating.

Key shakes his head. As much grief he gets about Choi Minho having some sort of unexplained crush on him, the whispers about the new Psychology teacher are just annoying to him.

Yoseob glowers at Dongwoon. “Hey, Dongwoon, there's nothing wrong with being short.”

The table erupts with laughter and Dongwoon tries to hide behind his lunch.

*


Key turns around from the front row of the Tenor section, glaring at his group of friends before they sink back into their chairs.

“Shut. Up.” Key says, his voice agitated because his friends really wont stop.

“We're just trying to help,” Hongki pipes up before Key turns around.

“I hate all of you,” Key says to the piano in front of him, arms crossed over his chest.

“Why don't you just tell him that you're not interested? Y'know, maybe then they'll believe you. You know they just think you're in denial,” Dongwoon says from the chair next to him.

Key smacks Dongwoon's arm and tries not to tell him to fall down a flight of stairs. He really wishes that the choir teacher would show up, because sitting in a cramped room with a bunch of people and Choi Minho just a few sits behind you is not fun when your friends are desperately trying to play match maker. 

“I love this class, but you all are making me wish it didn't exist,” Key huffs just as the teacher walks in.

*


The 7th period bell rings and Key makes his trek to the social studies wing of the school. He enters room 501 and takes a seat near the teacher's desk. He's the first one in and scowls; he wanted to make a first impression of his new teacher before the class even started.

He watches as the other students file in, and when the late bell rings, a short, muscular man makes his entrance from the side door of the classroom. He wears a pair of thick framed, black glasses and his hair messily sits on his head.

“Afternoon. I'm your new Psychology teacher, Kim Jonghyun,” he says with an introduction.

Key's sure his jaw hits the ground, because something like that should not be able to teach.



A/N So. I have a feeling this AN is going to be long. 

Anyway, this is a little series that I'm going to be working on to try and work through writer's block. I feel like it's something I can stay focused on long enough without it being too challenging. Do keep in mind, though, that a lot of these characters/pairings I've never written for. That coupled with my rusty writing, it may get really awkward at times. So I apologize in advance. There's also a lot of pairings weaving their way into this story, haha. 

I don't know how long this'll get because I don't have everything planned, I just know I want it to be 10 chapters or less. So there ya go. 

Another thing, I'm basing the high school system off my own experiences because whenever I try to figure out another country's educational system I get really confused xD. So if there's any questions (and maybe if there's a lot I'll do a FAQ or something I dunno) about how the school works, just ask. :3 

So yeah. I hope you guys like this so far. :3