fin.

To A New Beginning

Kris is out again for the hundredth time with his friends, Junmyeon and Minseok, and this time instead of a strip club, Minseok played it safe and took them to a dance club. Kris is hesitant at first, but knowing how motherly Junmyeon is and how Minseok hates a sulky Kris, the boys drag the kid out of his apartment.

 

 

“Meet someone new,” they say, but Kris is stuck at a mini table that consists of Minseok and Junmyeon’s jackets while the other two idiots are dancing on the floor.

 

Kris laughs as he sees his friends goofing off on the dance floor with other dancers. His attention then changes to someone who starts to flow along with the song that plays next. The way the person moves their body with the beat, pumping their chest out, swaying their arms across each other, and the body waves (oh god them waves), had Kris’s jaw drop.

Kris is star struck when observing the amazing dancer who throws their head back and laughing when the dancer’s friend (Kris assumes upon seeing a person by the dancer's side) starts shaking their head and is mouthing something at the dancer. The dancer suddenly raises their head up and coincidentally makes eye contact with Kris; the feeling of the adrenaline rush blows him away.

 

The dancer smiles and then continues to dance in sync with the music again. Kris shakes his head as he finishes the spiked soda Junmyeon had bought for him and switches to look at someone else. But his eyes kept pulling him back to focus on the dancer and from time to time, and the dancer would send Kris tiny glances as well. Kris slips on his jacket and leaves the tipsy Junmyeon and Minseok at the club, because he couldn’t do this right now.

The taste of fresh air never felt so good and Kris starts taking a run down the streets. Kris runs and runs until he’s out of breath and suddenly comes to a stop in front of a high building. He pants heavily and stares at the one place his two legs had brought him to. Kris places his hand on the door, reading the sign “push” for over five minutes, thinking if he should enter inside or not. However, people from inside pulls the door open and Kris makes way for the people to leave before his legs suddenly drags him inside the building.

Paintings, drawings, and retro arts were hanging around the brick walls. But his attention changes to the mini stage behind several serving tables and he sees the one man he supposes his legs had brought him to meet. Then again, Kris curses at himself because he should really stop blaming it on his legs.

The man on stage strums the strings on a guitar he holds while he sings to a soothing song, fitting the atmosphere perfectly. When the song ends, the singer spots Kris immediately and waves. Kris does so back and sits down at an empty table, waiting for the singer to come over and join him.

“You were absolutely great tonight, Yixing,” Kris compliments the singer.

 

Yixing smiles at the lad when he sits down across from him. “Kris, what are you doing here?” He suddenly questions the man.

 

Kris sighs and rubs his temples, feeling the alcohol somewhat stirring up inside his body. Yixing tells a waiter to bring a cup of tea for Kris, seeing that he seems unwell.

 

“Ah Xing, I… I miss you,” Kris spits out finally.

 

“Kris, we - you can’t keep doing this,” Yixing frowns with a reply after what he hears.

 

“I know. But I can’t stop. I can’t stop thinking about you.”

“Kris,” Yixing mumbles quietly, “we’ve been through this multiple times. We both know where it leads.”

Kris sighs again and sips on the warm tea that’s served to him. “But I can’t seem to just let go, Ah Xing. Though we dated for four years, I felt like you’ve been in my entire life. I never thought I could put you in my past and move on looking for a present or possibly future,” he breathes slowly and gazes at Yixing.

“Do you ever think of me?”

Yixing reaches a hand out to hold one of Kris’s and smiles, “All the time, but it’s not the same.”

“You have to understand, there will be times before me and after me.”

“But I never had a before. It was just always you,” Kris cuts in.

Yixing reaches his hand up to caress Kris’s cheek and replies, “Then you will have an after, because everyone deserves another chance with someone new.”

Kris looks up at Yixing to find a sincere smile staring back at him and he lightly chuckles. “You’re so strong, I don’t know how you do it,” he responds, and then shies away his eyes from looking at Yixing’s too long.

“The before you had taught me how. Maybe I’m teaching you now, so it will help you gain an after me and be strong as well,” Yixing simply answers and Kris smiles after sipping his tea.

“So tell me, with you dressed up and all. I’m guessing you met someone before you came here,” Yixing changes the subject and lightens the mood.

Kris thinks back to the amazing dancer he saw earlier. “I wish. The downfall is, we were standing about five feet away, him on the dance floor and I… I was sitting at a small table, guarding Junmyeon and Minseok’s jackets. Even though we’re quite far from each other, he stood towards my direction and my seating position was straight towards him as well. Such good distance to catch a perfect eye contact. Such a good chance to just give myself courage and walk up to ask him if he would like a drink, but instead I watched him...dance,” Kris pauses as he chuckles and Yixing sits up to find an amused Kris.

The lad shakes his head and puts on a small smile, “Why am I telling you this, huh?” Yixing gives Kris a questioning look, not understanding why he shouldn’t hear any of this.

“Never mind, I don’t think I should continue on.”

“What are you saying, Kris? Go on and tell me.”

Kris stares at Yixing for a second and nods his head. “The way he dances is beautiful. It reminded me of when you danced,” he explains finally.

Yixing rubs his palms on his thighs and slowly inhales. “Such a coincidence it is that he dances. Funny how you used to love the way I dance, but despised the fact that I tried to put a career into it,” he mumbles. Kris rolls his eyes, shaking his head along as Yixing brings up a past as to why they argued.

“Do you remember when I said I could be on a real stage performing for thousands of people?”

“I loved that you had dreams.”

“You didn’t believe in me though.”

“I was still willing to support-”

“You were afraid that I would leave us behind, and we both knew well of that,” Yixing ends it there and Kris becomes speechless.

“Kris, don’t forget why we ended our relationship. Why we didn’t and couldn’t work out to pick up the missing pieces of the jigsaw puzzle we created.”

“I wish that we never ended the way we did, Yixing. I feel like maybe we might’ve started everything too soon, because I-”

“Keep learning about yourself, Kris, and who you actually want as your companion. We went through a process thinking that we were made for each other, thought we were compatible and will grow old together. But look at us, Kris, we are not who we were four years ago. You changed, I changed.”

Kris shakes his head, hearing this all too much every night when he and Yixing had officially broken up. “I don’t want to think of this negativity. I just want another chance to start over,” he mutters lowly.

“You can, Kris,” and his head lifts up to Yixing’s reply, “you can have another chance with someone new.” Kris turns swiftly turns his head away, shaking it once more.

“Don’t waste your time sulking into the pain we endured in the past. Use our mistakes to grow and learn for your future to better yourself and to better for that lucky someone. Even if I’m not a part of your life as a boyfriend, I’m still here as a supporting friend.”

Kris raises his head to find Yixing smiling at him and sobering him up for more tea. “Thank you, Yixing, for having me around although I’m just more of a burden,” Kris speaks up finally and Yixing laughs quietly.

“You’re never a burden, but a friend,” Yixing replies and Kris bites his bottom lip, nodding his head with a satisfied smile.

“Xingxing, are you ready to go?” A voice speaks up from behind Kris.

“Oh, Jongdae-yah, come here! I need you to meet someone,” Yixing chirps excitedly and Kris turns around to find a man about Yixing’s height.

“Kris, this is Jongdae, the little big boss in this wonderful coffee shop,” he teases the man and earns a light elbow jab to the stomach. Kris sees the sparks between two men and that's when Kris understood Yixing's words of starting new someone else.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Yixing’s boy - best friend, Kris. You’re very lucky to have Yixing as your by your side. He’s a total nice guy,” Kris introduces himself to Jongdae and adds that comment after seeing how happy Yixing looks.

Jongdae lets out a loud laugh and lightly punches Yixing’s arms. “We’re not at that point of dating yet, but I’ll make my move soon,” the short lad replies and Kris apologizes for the assumption and the three men break into a comfortable laugh.

Kris goes back at the dance club, feeling bad for ditching out on Junmyeon and Minseok. When he spots the table he was sitting at earlier being empty, Kris assumes the two men had probably went home together drunk or probably got lucky again with meeting new people. Turning away to leave the dance club, Kris bumps into someone accidentally.

“I’m so sorry, I did not…” Kris pauses when the familiar person smiles at him, “Hi.”

Kris stands up straight and widens his grin, “Hi,” he repeats.

“Hi?” The person greets Kris back with an unsure expression and chuckles.

“I’m Kris,” he introduces next. “Kris Wu Yi Fan.”

“Oh. I am Kim Jongin. Nice to meet you, Kris Wu Yi Fan,” the dancer introduces himself as well and Kris could feel the butterflies in his stomach fluttering.

“Sorry for the sudden introduction. My friends calls me Kris, by the way. Uhmm, can I buy you a drink?” Kris nervously scratches his nape and Jongin lightly laughs.

“Sure, as I’ll take the drink as a pay for watching me dance from afar,” Jongin sarcastically responds with a smirk and Kris blushes.

“You caught me.”

“It’s okay, because I couldn’t help staring back at you as well.”

Kris chuckles again and then leads Jongin to the bar side of the dance club to buy them both a drink.


“And in that moment, he realized, this was exactly what he’d been searching for all along, yet never knew could exist until that moment. He was happy. The years of uncertainty, the nights of loneliness. The reckless decisions, the irrational moments of fleeting triumph. It all made sense now, and from the vantage point of retrospect, all seemed necessary so that he could be exactly where he was; happy. We’ll all get there.” -Wongfu Productions.

 

 

 

 

Big thanks to my cousin Gills for helping beta this one-shot. Also, I was inspired by Wongfu Prod's video here. I reccomend you to watch the video, because it's very moving and very heart touching. Thanks again for reading!