Sacrifice

Absolute Matrix
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

I work as a neurobiologist for the government of Korea. I was just looking for a good job when my friend recommended me to apply here. I thought my job was to just do some simple research and such.

It was like any other normal job interviews with resume and background checks, but I was wrong.

The place I am working at is a secret agency made by the government to study and find this so called “super humans”. I don’t know why they are so crazy about this, but I got interested with it and gave my whole life, time and commitment to it. In the first place, this agency is not harming any one so I assure you I’m not assisting any evil scientists and such. 

They didn’t tell me the whole reason why they created this special agency. I just have to do my job and don’t tell anyone that an organization like this exists. Well, I am not in the place to oppose because they are paying me big time and I began to love what I’m doing. And also, this would be my only chance to meet these people having above normal abilities. Before, I thought they just exist on comic books and movies, but now I have hard evidences that they are actually real and they mingle with ordinary humans. If you were in my position maybe you would definitely feel the thrill and joy of having that privilege.

It was just a hypothesis when I got here but now we have our own lead.

 To make things easier, we first searched the whole of Korea to find these extraordinary people. At first we were out of hope. We searched everywhere and I was on the verge of giving everything up.

 But meeting him was fate; I know for sure he is not an average human. Until I found out he was not alone.

Working for two years, they entrusted me with this project. My whole career lies within my own hands now, if I can convince the board of directors about my own findings, it would surely mean a lot to me.

Now, I just have to defend it to the board of directors and the President of Korea.

Yes, you’re right. This is one hell of a research.

**********************************************************<3

 I entered the conference room with all eyes on me. I can feel the tension and thin air inside the room. It felt like I’m in a vacuum space.

 I can feel their excitement as to where this project is heading to. I’ve already briefed them about my hypothesis, now I need to present the whole research paper so that I can have their trust and so that I can have sponsors.

 This project would worth a billion of dollars and if every person in the conference room would trust their money to me, it would be more than enough.

 I inhaled heavily to build up my confidence and faced them.

Throughout the presentation, everyone was silent. It was like I was just doing my daily practice in an empty room but this time there were eyes intently watching me. If looks could melt, I’ve been in the river a while ago.

They were so into the research that they didn’t bother to speak or drink water but others couldn’t hide their daily yawning. It made me more anxious.

“So… as I’ve said, these 12 boys I’ve examined for a month are positive with abilities not possessed by a normal human being. They act as normal as a human can be but sometimes they can’t control it.”

“But how can you prove it?” finally someone spoke. I thought I was the only breathing person there. It was General Kim of the military; he had that attitude that likes to contradict everyone. I’ve been expecting him to speak up actually.

“I’ve been on undercover.” Everyone looked surprised. Yeah right, maybe I’m not fitted to be a secret agent like 007 but somehow I have enough acting skills to carry the mission.

“So you’ve gone under military training?” Hawk-eyes, I mean General was now very interested in my research. He was one of those who keep on yawning every slide I show. Now I know how my professors feel. He’s really one of those guys who want to be told directly and frankly on a topic.

“No.”

He shot his brows up. I know he’s the kind of guy who does every work with military style. I don’t actually get his logic about that. Like when he entered the office he was shouting different kinds of orders and we should answer a “Sir! Yes Sir!”

“Then what kind of undercover mission is that?” he said in a voice full of authority and sarcasm. He looked around as if making fun of me.

“Being a stylist noona doesn’t need to do push-ups, sir.”

Everyone in the conference room couldn’t hide their smile, others even laugh, even the President himself. It was just like that during the debriefing of my hypothesis. The two of us were labeled as “Frenemies”, friends for the government but enemies personally.

Well, the two of us are mutual with something somehow. I don’t like his attitude and he doesn’t like my ways. Period. We hate each other.

His face turned red and put up a tough face even though he was obviously embarrassed.

I continued with my lecture with a much more confidence than the first time I stepped in the conference room.

After the discussion, everyone in the room congratulated me, it was as if I got a Noble Prize award and maybe later I will get even better.

Based on their expressions and comments, I’m definitely going to get this project.

Finally, everyone in the room got out. I let out a deep but relieved sigh. At last! It was all done, now I just need to select my team and do the study, importantly, I can now protect the 12 boys from harm. If I let the General put me down, these 12 boys would surely go into the wrong hands of selfish people. That would be the last thing that would happen while I’m still alive. I won’t let them get these boys just for their greediness.

Maybe I need to call Kris to tell him the good news. They would surely like what I’m going to say and maybe later, we can celebrate after their schedule.

I picked up my phone and dialed Kris’ number. While waiting, the door of the conference room suddenly flew open.

“General Kim?” He still wore that tough face of his. “What are you still doing here? I thought you went to the President to oppose their decision.” I said with the look matching his. He didn’t respond until he was a meter away from me.

“Hello? Ley?” Kris answered but I didn’t respond back.

There’s something wrong with the General right now. He’s not usually like this. Something happened. And I have a bad feeling about it.

His lips suddenly curved into a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter