Chapter 1

Just Because

We've known each other since we were in diapers. His parents and my parents were coincidently best friend since they were in college, so it would be normal for us to hang out together. I remember growing up with him, the play dates that we went together, him trying to steal my toys and pull my hair. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows but as we grew older, we became best friends.

When we reached high school and hit puberty, Sunggyu became the hottest guy in school, with his wealth, looks, and his brain, who wouldn't fall for him? Girls at my school were like models, they were tall, slim and pretty. And, i was none of those. Girls would throw themseleves at him all the time, being his only best female friend that he ever hangs out with, I would often receives hateful glares from the female population of the school and on rare ocassion the girls would shove their love letteres and homemade chocolate to me in hopes that I would give them to Sunggyu. 

But sunggyu never really cared that much. 

" Aish, where is the gyu? " 

I was walking around the school compound looking for him. Knowing that he would sneek off to some deserted place in the school just to take a nap. 

He must be behind the hall, where they kept all the sports equipment. I walked towards there, holding the box of chocolate and a bunch of love letters. When i reached the back of the hall, I could see sunggyu lying on the bench, sleeping soundly.

I tip toed towards him and place the things down beside him. Since iI was kneeling beside him, I can't help myself but to stare at him. Those perfect cheek bones, those lips..oh, how I would love to kiss them. Yup, you guessed correctly, I am in love with Kim Sunggyu, my best friend. His eyes open so suddenly that I was caught off guard and stumbled backwards. 

I blushed furiously, hoping that he didn't catch me staring at him.

" Am I that handsome? Even my best friend couldn't resist my charms? " He laughed a hearty laugh and winked at me. 

My heart was beating erratically in my chest.

* Who wouldn't fall for you gyu? * I thought to myself.

" Yah, don't flatter yourself alright? " I lightly punch his arm.

" Hey! Don't hit me woman! You know that I bruise easily " he pouted.

" You got that right, you're nothing but a hamster, you even look-- " before i could continue my sentence, he pulled me down on the bench, so i was half lying on top of him. My face turned crimsom red. 

" W-what are you doing?!" I tried to pry myself away from his grip, but he was too strong. 

" Let's just stay like this for a while " he mumurs while closing his eyes again.

If anyone were to walk in on us right now, they would think that we're dating. But not to us, we have been like that since we would remember, we would always hug each other because we just feel so comfortable with each other. To sunggyu it was, but not to me, you know..considering the fact that I like him! 

It would always be like that, we would often be in each other's embrace. When we went to the movie theater, he would put his arm over my shoudlers and pull me close so I was lying on his chest and he would put his arm around me while we were walking. Sometimes, I let myself be immersed in the thought of maybe, just maybe, Sunggyu likes me back.

 


It all changed during our second year of high school. A new girl transfered from Busan, and her name was Lee Haerin. She was the opitnomy of perfection, just like sunggyu. She looked exactly like those model from the magazine that I would often read when I am the book store. And the year that she transfered to our school, was the year that Sunggyu fell in love and had his first girlfriend.

Sunggyu and I were walking towards our favourite noodle shop when he ask me about her.

" What do you think about Haerin? " I stopped dead in my track and turned to face him.

" What about her? " 

" Well, i think this must sound funny but I think i like her "

That was the first time I ever felt my heart stopped. I could hear my heart shattering into a thousand pieces. It suddenly hurts.

" Really?! That's great gyu! Have you told her yet? " My eyes b with tears but thankfully he couldn't see because he was looing ahead. 

" Nope, but since tomorrow is Valentine's day, i thought of confessing to her. What do you think? 

" That's a great idea gyu. You know what? I'll help you! I'll tell my mom that I'm staying over at your house tonight to help you. OH! you can make handmade chocolates and I'll look up the internet for some good restaurant nearby, so you can bring her on a date and then you can confess! " I forced a smile but he couldn't see.

" Oh my god! Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you! " Sunggyu just hugged me and spun me around. 

The truth was, I just wanted to go home, snuggle up on my bed and cry myself to sleep. My heart ached so badly but what could I do? I can't be selfish and not help him out, he's my best friend after all.


5 months had passed since that day. After Valentine's day, Sunggyu and Haerin became the It couple at school. Some girls cried and some were supportive. I on the other hand, was partially numbed from the heartbreak. It dull to a point that I couldn't cry anymore. Sunggyu having a girlfriend equals spending less time with me. Scratch that, we never spend time anymore. My parents would ask me where is sunggyu and why haven't they see him around our house anymore. 

Sunggyu was the happiest that I've seen him. 

It was almost end of the year and our annual prom night is fast approaching. I haven't spoken to sunggyu for quite some time, that is why I was shocked to received a call from him out of the blue. Before he had a girlfriend, we would call each other every night and talk for a while, even thought we were neighbours, we would always hang out and do everything together. But NO , he has a girlfriend now. I can't help but feel bitter when I thought about it. 

" Hello?" I answered.

" Are you free tomorrow? Want to go shopping for prom? " He sound giddy over the phone. He must be hidding something from me.

" Okay, sure. Meet me outside my house tomorrow at 10? " 

" Okay! See you then! " and he hung up. 

It wasn't this awkward before, but i guess not it is. Sighs. But a little part of me feels happy that we would be able to spend time tomorrow. Just us both.


I got up early the next morning and made myself look more presentable than usual. I wore light make up, put on my best dress, hoping that Sunggyu might notice me more. But than didn't work out. He didn't compliment me or anything, I bet he doesn't even see me as a girl. We went to the nearby mall and had a light breakfast before we went to various shop to try in dresses and tuxedo. 

I was in the changing room of a luxurious boutique shop trying on the 10th dress that he made me try on. When I came out, Sunggyu just stared at me. He motioned for me to come forwards and I did. He stared at me from head to toe and turn me around. I suddenly felt shy, he has never looked at me that way before. 

" Alright, we'll take this one! " He told the shop assistant. 

" What!? Gyu! This dress is so expensive, I can never afford it. " I look warrily at him.

" I'll pay for it silly " He ruffles my hair and gave me a pinch on the cheek. 

" You're buying this dress for me? " I was hopefully. 

" Huh? Where did you get that idea silly? It's for Haerin! Considering that the both of you have similar heights and body, it would be easy if i had you try it on. It would be a surprise for her. "

OUCH. I felt that someone had ripped out my heart and ran over it with a car.

" Oh...okay." " I hope she likes it then " I quickly turn around, I didn't want him to see me cry. 

Before I could close the door of the dressing room, he stopped it with his hand. 

"Hey --, are you alright? I didn't mean to upset you " 

My tears was already dried, so i turn around to face him with a fake bright smile on my face. 

" You're so easy to be tricked gyu! You know I could never get mad at you. I'm happy for you." I  hugged him.

He sighs as a sign of relief. He returned the hug. " I know I could always count on you "

All I can do was return the smile. 


It was 5pm in the afternoon and the school was deserted, I was walking out from the library as I was on the prom night commity and we have tons of stuff to prepare for the prom,which happens to be tomorrow. I was about to turn into a corner when I hear voices.

"I miss you so much. Where have you been? " 

A male voiced said.

" I'm sorry Jagiya..Sunggyu oppa kept sticking to me like a leech. It's getting kind of annoying actually. How I wish i was with you Oppa " 

Hold on. That voice sounds familiar. No- it couldn't be her. Haerin loved sunggyu so much! Does't she?

I stuck my head out a bit to confirm about my assumptions and to my horror, I see Haerin and another guy hugging. The nerve of her! How dare she cheat on Sunggyu?! Sunggyu loves her so much, he bought her things and made her homemade stuff, carried her books and all that . How can she just cheat on him!

I secretly recorded their conversation, determined to show Sunggyu her true colors. 

" I love you oppa the most oppa, I never loved Sunggyu, I only loved him because of his wealth and status."

" That's right baby, i love you too. Remember to ask money from Sunggyu again so we can go dine at the expensive restaurant that you always wanted to go to. "