Final

Bright

Jinki's eyes are dark pools as he sits in the corner of the room.

The makeup and hair are flawless, each blemish concealed, each strand of hair gelled. However, he stares at his other members vacantly. Jonghyun is working his tongue over a cough drop, the sharp menthol scent wafting throughout the dressing room. His forehead is creased with worry at the thought of his voice cracking and thus his image cracking. Jinki feels a small pang of satisfaction. He had warned Jonghyun not to drink so much last night. Taemin is being dressed by the stylists, but Jinki can tell by the way his hands shake that he wants a cigarette. Minho is practicing the hand motions for the main chorus' dance, jittery and awkward because he'd skipped three practices. Kibum is texting away on his bedazzled cell phone, perfectly manicured nails tapping out rapid messages to his many "friends". In truth, Kibum only has two true friends, none of which are the members.

They're not close the way the company makes them out to be.

He's not perfect the way Onew is supposed to be.

But in ten minutes, Jinki will have to undergo his daily metamorphosis. 

His gaze fixates on the entrance when the door creaks open. He immediately recognizes the sleek black hair.

Sunyoung.

Sunyoung is what keeps Jinki alive. 

She massages his shoulders and sings trot ballads and makes silly faces and messes up his hair with the brightest smile he's ever seen. She is the most kind hearted person he has ever known. Jinki watches as their company gives her song lines to the others, declines her request to be in the ballad project group, starves her so her legs will be skinnier. A knot of hatred settles itself into his throat when he hears the fans give her minimal applause.

The knot unwinds when Sunyoung keeps the bright smile on her face as she hugs him backstage and takes his offers to go to dinner after the performances.

His eyes soften into eyeliner-accented crescents when she gracefully floats over to him.