1

Re-Start

 



Chapter 1:



Kris unsheathed his sword from its shaft. It was around 1 meter in length, crafted from the purest black iron found only in the depths of Mt. Kinzo and crafted by the well-known forger Kai in Shiokawa. Its blade was thin and sleek making it easier to lift yet its strength was equivalent to a sword twice its size. Alongst the blade there was an inscription which read  '血液月の注意を取る' (Ketsueki tsuki no chūi o toru) which translated to ‘Take heed of the blood moon’; to this day Kris was still yet to know what it meant. Finally embellished upon its hilt were rubies and sapphires found from the same Mt of which its iron was mined.

Kris wore a long blue cloak that dropped down to his waist and underneath he wore a plain black shirt and black skinny jeans.

No matter where he turned to look, trees surrounded him in all directions and there seemed to be no end to them. He was lost in the biggest forest in his world which was in the centre of Ushiki; the largest country on the continent. In the distance a tower could be made out amongst the clouds but Kris had to squint his eyes to see it. It swirled round and round and reached high above the clouds that it seemed as if there was no end to it. That was Kris’ destination, if he didn’t make it to the top of that tower. . . well once again his life would be for naught. As he would not be able to find her yet again.

Though he spoke as if he knew who this she was, the matter of fact was that Kris had no idea who it was that he was going to meet. He didn’t know what she was like neither had he ever seen her before. The only piece of information that he had on her was that her name was Angela.

All of a sudden he heard rustling sounds in the nearby bushes. In response, Kris tightly gripped his sword with both hands. Then suddenly a person jumped out and came flying through the air towards him. It was a dwarf; an angry one at that judging by the look on its face.

Kris raised his sword above his head and brought it back down swiftly cutting the dwarf straight down its chest. After  that a few more dwarves jumped out from behind bushes and began attacking him. No matter; to Kris they were small-fry easily taken care of.

As he took care of the last of them he casually brushed the wet blood off of his coat and onto the ground. Disgusting he thought. It was only a week ago that he had bought that coat and now it was wrecked.  He sighed in response and placed his sword back into its hilt which was centered on his back. The reason for this was that if it were to sit on his waist belt it would be dragged across the ground. That sword had been expensive and it was irreplaceable.

He took a few steps forward and brushed branches out of his path as he continued onwards towards the tower. The grass on the ground was a luscious green and little animals scurried hurriedly around such as chipmunks, mice and dears whilst birds chirped in tress singing their songs of happiness.

Then a pair of hands clasped firmly around his waist and another wrapped around both of his arms.

“Gotcha,” the voice said against his ear. Kris sighed, more annoying creatures just making his journey more difficult.

“What is it this time, more dwarves? Goblins? Or maybe you little pixies? I’ve seen you watching me for quite some time now.” Kris said it in an undertone that suggested that he was already bored with the situation. Which he was.

“Shut your mouth. How dare you call us those things?” Kris turned his head to the extent which he could and saw that they were mercenaries. Great Kris thought people, and stupid people at that.

“Listen, how about you let me go and I forget this ever happened. Then we can all go off and live our happy little fairy tale lives. A‘right?

“Shut up” the guy responded harshly and he spat on the ground. They’re not just stupid people they’re also disgusting people. The longer that Kris spent talking to them the more that he was getting annoyed.

“This is your last chance. I don’t want to hurt you but-“

“Ha you think you can hurt us?”

“Sure, there are only two of you after all. So, are we going to do this the easy way or the hard way?”

“Ahahaha as if little kid.”

“I warned you.” Kris muttered. At that he spun around violently whilst managing to twist the guy’s arms out of his own. As for the one that had his arms wrapped around his waist Kris raised his leg and crushed his foot against the guys face sending him falling backwards.

“You’ll pay for that kid.” The guy rushed forward but Kris was faster and he drew his sword and pointed it directly towards the guy’s throat. The guy barely managed to stop and the tip of Kris’ sword pressed against his throat.

“What am I going to pay for?” Kris asked whilst rolling his eyes. This happened every time when it came to mercenaries. He beat them up and the one left conscious would beg for his life, yet it seemed to end the same every time.

“Ahaha nothing I was just joking. Listen, about that fairytale life you were talking about before, I have a wife and a kid so how about we just part here and-“ his voice cut off as Kris edged his sword a little forward managing to draw blood.

“How about no?” Kris asked whilst raising his eyebrows.

The guy dropped to his knees and Kris saw that he had begun crying. “Please!” he cried out. “Please, my family!” Kris couldn’t take it anymore. All mercenaries lied, none of them had families and they never would.

“Okay then I’ll help you out,” Kris said.

“Really?” the guy looked up at him and his eyes were sparkling from the tears. Kris knew those eyes; he had seen them so many times before. The eyes of a liar.

“Sure, I’ll help to give you a better life. Oh don’t worry you can always re-start and maybe then you’ll stop lying to save your life.” Upon realizing what was about to happen the guys expression turned to terror.

Kris brought his sword up and above his head and brought it swiftly down cutting across the guy’s neck. His head rolled off of his shoulders and fell to the forest floor as his body dropped to a crumpled heap.

Kris never meant to kill anyone it was just the way that he was and because of the world he grew up in. Being able to constantly re-set your life when you die most would think that it’s perfect. Being able to right the wrongs you did or change yourself. But knowing that if you don’t find your soul mate and give up halfway through that you’ll end up in darkness isn’t the best idea.

Life was a game. The game was about your life. Your next move could change your entire fate.

Kris had finally reached the bottom of the tower. He stared up and the top wasn’t visible as it was concealed by clouds.  He walked up to the door and saw that a golden plaque had been placed upon it. It read:

 

If your love lies here
Do not fear
She will sleep on
Until you sing the song
The song of death
The song of life
Which will you choose
Don’t get confused


Kris stared at it with a sad look. He hated rhyming puzzles like these. He could never solve them and whatever answer he had chosen had been wrong. Thanks to these puzzles he had died many times; he hoped that this would be the last and he would finally get to see Angela.

He pushed the door open slowly and it creaked in response. The outside of the building may have looked dull and plain but the inside was incredible. It was like walking into a grand ball room. In the centre of the room hung a chandelier that literally had diamonds hanging off of it. The space was adorned with sofas and a grand piano. The piano was playing a soft melody but from what Kris could see no one was playing it.

Strange Kris thought but not completely unexpected.  Every now and then God or whoever controlled their world seemed to find it fun to put in haunting and mysterious ghosts. This pissed Kris off a lot as the only thing that he was truly afraid of were ghosts.

He stepped further into the room and heard the door slam behind him with a ‘Bang’. Surely it was locked and there was only one way to go; up. At the far end of the room was a staircase that was built into the wall. He couldn’t see where it led as the top of the roof cut off his view.

All of the sudden the soft melodious song that had been playing turned into something more threatening. It seemed like whatever was in the room with him was challenging him to go upstairs.

Fine, it wasn’t as if Kris had any choice so he headed towards the staircase. All the while he felt as if all the people in the paintings placed alongst the wall were watching him. That feeling sent shivers down his spine.

He reached the bottom of the stair case and stared up into the darkness. It wasn’t very wide meaning that if there were two people climbing one would have to climb behind the other. He tested it by placing one of his feet on the bottom step. Better to test it out then to come crashing down.

It seemed as if it would support his weight so he brought his other foot up as well. Then once again all of a sudden the piano music changed from threatening to happy; it seemed to be the type of song you’d hear in a musical. He continued climbing taking one step at a time cautiously.  Alongst the walls hung lamps that lit up the inside of the staircase.

Finally after what seemed like forever he saw a light at the top of the stairs. Kris hurriedly climbed that last few. The next room that he was in was a single long hallway. A red carpet stretched from this door to the next. Along the sides of the halls stood suits of armor and more paintings were situated on the wall.

Oh Kris really didn’t want to go through there. Just from seeing what was in the hall you could obviously tell that something bad was going to happen. He drew his sword out and took a deep breath. May as well get it over and done with. Hesitantly he took one step onto the red carpet and all the heads and eyes on the paintings shot towards him. Completely freaked out Kris took his foot off of the carpet and immediately the heads turned and the eyes reverted back to their original positions.

was the only thing that was running through Kris’ mind. Holy . He decided to make a runner and just sprint towards the other door. He bounded off and instantly knew that it was a bad idea. He felt the floor beneath him disappear and he began falling. Falling into darkness.
 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Author Notes:

Hai guys. Officially the first chapter of Re-Start. I'm probs going to end up changing the name to this story at some point but anyway enjoy and feel free to subscribe and comment. Thanks :)

   Naww Kris your so cute.