Final.

Chasing After You ☂

Raindrops pattered steadily against the window as you leaned your head on the cool glass and looked out at the dreary, colorless sky outside. The world was a blur of green and gray; the trees rustled and shook with the wet shower and the sidewalk glistened as rain poured over it like a flood.

The soft, rhythmic tapping on the windowpane was calm and soothing, but it was not enough to overcome the heavy atmosphere inside the house this afternoon.

You turned away from the scenery and glanced at your boyfriend across the room, who was currently looking at anything but you. His eyes wandered throughout the house, seeming to find everything interesting as he scrutinized the furniture and walls.

“Chanyeol,” you called quietly.

He ignored you and sank further into the couch, casting his eyes downward. It felt like you two were separated by a deep, vast trench instead of a mere few feet of wooden floor.

You sighed and tried again. “Chanyeol, if you just apologize—”

“No,” he said stubbornly, “I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Yes, you did,” you retorted with matching stubbornness, crossing your arms.

The sparks of tension in the air was ignited once again and the sour ambience from the fight before and the beginning of this new one was almost tangible.

“I saw you with her! Why are you still trying to deny it?” Your voice raised an octave when the scene replayed in your mind.

Chanyeol finally looked up at you, but his gaze was cold and irritated.

“I’m not denying it. And I will not explain to you again that she was only a friend.”

“You were hugging her and she looked like she was going to kiss you,” you couldn’t suppress the bitterness in your voice.

“Wow, your imagination is out of this world,” he said sarcastically.

You wanted to scream in frustration.

“Chanyeol! Do not talk to me like that! I know what I saw! Why can’t you just apologize and settle this load of crap?!” You yelled.

“Why can’t you just accept the truth and stop making things up yourself?” Chanyeol shouted back, finally losing his temper as well. “It was a god damn goodbye hug, and I haven’t seen her in forev—”

“Shut up! You make it sound so light! And I can’t believe you’re choosing her over me! Why are you defending her?” You shot out of your seat beside the window and balled your fists, feeling the anger boiling beneath your skin.

Chanyeol stood up as well, his face twisted with rage. He easily towered over you and you suddenly felt like a vexed little kitten scratching and screeching at pointless things.

“I was not defending her! God, you’re so annoying when you’re jealous!” Chanyeol looked down at you with so much animosity that your heart contorted in pain.

“I’m annoying?! I am?” You ignored the pain and said indignantly, resisting the urge to punch your boyfriend. “Well excuse me, but I wasn’t the one who ran off to meet some random girl without telling my girlfriend and then hugged her right in front of my girlfriend’s eyes and almost kissed her, too, if it wasn’t for the honking taxi! What if I did that, huh? What if I went out to meet a guy without telling you and then embraced him right in front of you?”

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes and you visibly saw them darken as he considered the scenario with you instead of him. Realization slowly seeped into him as he imagined himself in your place, but he pushed the feelings away.

“And I suppose you never hug your guy friends, huh?”

“Not as tightly as you hugged her!”

“There is nothing between us.”

“That wasn’t my point!” You stomped your feet, frustrated. “I’m not accusing you of cheating! You just—I—ARGH!”

Chanyeol turned his back on you and started walking away. “I hate you when you’re like this. Let me breath for one freaking second, will you?”

You looked after him, stunned. The word “hate” echoed again and again in your head, and your heart felt like it was being crushed by the force of that one simple word.

“F-fine. I’ll leave you alone. I-I ha—hat—”

You wanted to say “I hate you, too,” but found that you couldn’t. You still loved him, despite what had just happened. You loved him too much.

“Goodbye, Chanyeol.”

His eyes widened when he heard your footsteps dash through the house, followed by the sound of the front door slamming. Chanyeol whipped his head around and his heart pounded when he found the house empty.

“________?” He called hesitantly.

When only silence answered him, he cursed under his breath and ran out of the house.

“________!” Chanyeol shouted at your misty figure in the distance as the rain enveloped him instantly.

You looked back and stumbled in surprise when you saw Chanyeol running toward you from the house. You had thought he would stay inside.

“Go back, Chanyeol! I need to clear my mind, too!” You yelled back as you ran faster, splashing through countless puddles of water. The rain soaked through every inch of your clothing as seconds went by and soon you felt like a wet log moving through a marsh.

“Wait, _______! Please, I’m sorry! I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry! I’m an idiot, it’s my fault, it’s all my fault, so stop running away!” His voice reached you clearly even as the rain droned all around. You wanted to turn back and jump straight into his arms but you kept on running.

“Go away, Chanyeol! Stop chasing me!” You tossed the words behind your back, blinking against the rain. His footsteps were getting closer and closer and you knew he’d catch up with you sooner or later.

“_______, if you’re not with me, then I’ll never stop chasing after you.” Chanyeol finally reached you; his arms pulled you back easily and trapped you against him. He held you tightly and you felt the water from his clothes soak through your own shirt, but he was warm and his breath on your face was hot and his words made you dizzy with happiness.

“Let go of me,” you insisted, wanting to see what he would do.

“No, never.” His hair was dark and wet and raindrops dripped down his face like tears.

“You hate me, Chanyeol,” you said as you tried to push him away. “You can’t chase after someone you h—”

His lips crushed your next words back into your mouth as he kissed you suddenly and roughly, his hands hot on your cheeks and gentle yet firm so that you couldn’t escape.

You found yourself smiling against his lips, and reached up to tangle your hands through his wet hair.

“Would I do this if I hated you?” Chanyeol murmured as he continued to kiss you, not giving you a chance to reply, or even breath, for that matter.

The rain poured down relentlessly all around, and above you the sky continued to cry, but your heart was ablaze and singing a love song of its own.