Baby Boy

Baby Boy - Ren

The sizzling and humming of vegetables as the sweet aroma moved throughout the apartment as you moved off of the couch and stood up as you waddled over to the kitchen. Ren, your husband, pulled the rice from the cooker, as he plated it next to the cooked vegetables. Cutting up some apples afterwards, he placed them on the plate as you slid onto a bar stool as you watched him work in the kitchen.

When Ren was finished with both of the plates, he turned around and saw you at the bar as he set the plates down on the counter.

"You have to be more careful, you shouldn’t sit on something that high, you could fall and hurt the baby." He rushed to your side as he helped you down from the stool as he moved you to the table.

Once you were seated, he grabbed the plates from the counter and placed one in front of you, with the other one next to you. Sliding the chair next to you, he sat down as you took a bite of the colorful and enticing food as your taste buds danced happily in your mouth as a humming sound escaped your mouth. Ren smiled happily as he heard your soft humming, as it became music to his ears.

Ren has been home the last couple weeks, he asked his manager for time off to spend with you while you were in your ninth month. Despite the doctor’s prediction of a few more weeks, Ren seemed to tend to you like it could happen any day.

Even though it was nice to have someone help you cook and clean, you really didn’t need him. With the constant calls from his manager and members, filling him in on the things that he missed you almost just wanted him to go to work, since you knew that the baby would come later than sooner.

After a couple bites, his phone rang as you looked over at him as looked down at his phone sadly.

"I’ll be right back." He kissed the top of your head before jogging out of the room to the bedroom to give him some privacy as you finished your dinner. Being quiet, you could hear their conversation as your hand rubbed over your ballooned stomach.

"She could have the baby soon…. yes manager… she hasn’t had it yet… the doctor said a few more weeks… ok I will be in tomorrow… yes, see you tomorrow." Ren said as you heard him pace the bedroom as you began to eat slower and slower. Hearing the door swing open, he came back and put a smile on his face for you as he came back and ate some dinner.

"Is everything ok?" You asked as you rubbed your shoulder, knowing that he only stuffs his mouth full of food when he is angry or upset. He nodded his head softly as you leaned over and kissed him on his cheek.

"Thank you for taking care of me and the baby, we both appreciate it." You smiled down at your belly as he smiled and rested his hand on your stomach too.

"Did you like dinner? Daddy made it just for Mommy." A smile came onto his face as you moved your hand to his head as you pet his beautiful hair, looking up at you, he looked into your eyes as he his lips as he sat up straight.

"Babe, I have to go to work tomorrow. The manager wants me back. I’m sorry I can’t be around for you, but I am only a phone call away." He lifted his hand to your cheek as you smiled and placed your hand on his.

"I think I can manage." You said with a sad tone as you knew that you would miss him around.

"I will make you some meals so all you have to do is just heat them up, ok?" You nodded your head as he kissed your forehead softly. Clearing the empty plates, he washed the dishes as you got up and waddled over to the couch. Laying down, you pulled a blanket over your chilled body as your eyelids began to feel heavy. Closing your eyes slowly, you heard Ren’s sweet singing from the kitchen as you fell asleep slowly.

Ren walked over to you as he pet your hair softly before sitting down in front of the couch, reaching out for his book, he a lamp as he flipped his pages as he read up on baby books to try and be ready for when the baby came. A softly came from behind him as he turned and looked at you, your hand gently moved to find his hair as your fingers twirled around his hair as you took a deep breath as he just smiled at you. Returning to his book, a few hours passed before he got up and pulled a blanket over you before laying out on the floor next to you.

Moving your hand to find his hair again, you whined as your hand fell off of the couch. Taking your hand in his, he kissed it softly as his fingers gently moved over your hand, trying to relax you as much as he can. The night began to fly by as Ren fell asleep next to you.

The morning light quickly came and woke him up as he looked at the time. Rubbing his eyes, he moved your hand to your side as he brushed some hair out of your face before going to get dressed.

With a loose fitting shirt and some black skinny jeans he walked back out to you as he gently kissed your head.

"I’ll be home soon, call me if you need anything." You nodded incoherently as he kissed your cheek before pulling your blanket up onto your shoulder. Walking out of the door, he knew that today wouldn’t be easy leaving you, he just hoped that you would be able to be ok without him.

A few hours later, you woke up with this strange feeling. Slowly sitting up, you rubbed your eyes as you looked around the living room, folded blankets were on the floor with a pillow on top as you just smiled, knowing that Ren slept next to you last night. A pain cam from your stomach as your breathing froze. Whimpers left your lips as you laid down, curling yourself up on the couch. Barely able to open your eyes, you moved your hand to the table beside the couch as you searched for your phone.

With your fingers finally finding your phone, you looked at your contacts as the pain went away. Thinking that it was because you slept on the couch, you stood up and walked to the kitchen, finding the pre-made meals stacked up in the fridge made you smile as you took one of the smaller portioned ones out as you put it into the microwave to heat it up. Another wave of pain came over you as you clutched your hands around  the counter to keep you balanced.

"Please, not now. Daddy isn’t here. Not now." You pleaded as a few minutes passed. Standing upright, you took the food out of the microwave as you didn’t feel hungry anymore. Letting the meal cool on the counter, you walked around the small apartment as you sung to the little baby inside of you.

With the little trick that you discovered with Ren, hours passed as you felt yourself get hot and clammy. A motherly instinct came over you as you sat yourself down on one of your chairs.

"One more time!" The manager called as he stood at the back of the studio as the boys of Nu’est heaved their chests to try and get oxygen into their lungs. "Clear your mind, Ren. Sharper moves, Aron!" The manager called as the members nodded their heads before going back into their dancing formation. The music pulsated through the speakers as it shook the mirrors and the pounding of the member’s feet were barely heard over the music as the manager nodded his head in satisfaction.

Eventually, you made it to the hospital as your water broke on the way there. Stumbling in through the front doors, the nurses took one look at you and knew you were in labor. Calling a code over the intercom, the brought out a wheelchair as you sat down and tried to breathe as they ran with you down the hall to the delivery room. Get you into a room and dressed in a gown, they hooked up monitors to the baby as it just confirmed that you were in labor.

"H-How long do I have?" You asked through your breathing as the nurse just smiled at you.

"Not long at all. Hang tight. Do you have anyone you need to call?" She asked as you nodded, she grabbed your phone and gave it to you as you dialed Ren’s number. After getting the answering machine a few times, you thought that you would call his manager, since he always has his phone on him.

A strong contraction came over you as you handed the phone to the nurse to have her talk to him for you.

"Hello?" The manager picked up as the nurse gave you an encouraging look.

"Hello, I am a nurse at the Seoul Hospital. Who is this?" She questioned as she looked at you.

"This is the manager." He said thinking that it was a wrong dialed number. The nurse brought the phone down to you as you pressed it up against your ear.

"Manager-nim this is _______-ah. I need Ren." You breathed heavily into the phone as he began to shuffle around as the nurse got back on the phone.

"Thank you, have a good day sir." The nurse hung up as she held you hand as you tried to breathe in and out.

"Who was that Manager-nim?" Minhyun asked through his heavy breathing as the boys leaned over to catch their breaths.

”________.” The manager said as a smile gently began to settle on his face.

"You mean Ren’s wife?"JR asked as the manager now had a smile on his face as he nodded.

"She is going into labor." The manager said as the breathing stopped in the room and everyone looked up at the manager. Everyone soon shifted their attention to Ren as he just sat on the floor with a frozen expression on his face. The thoughts caught up to him as he got to his feet and began to fidget around nervously going in all directions as he tried to configure his thoughts.

"I have to go, I have to get everything, I have to…" Ren quickly began to ramble as Baekho quickly grabbed his shoulders looking him dead in the eyes.

"I know your nervous, we all are, but she needs YOU! She is over their scared and afraid. She needs YOU. NOW!" Baekho shook Ren back to reality as Ren quickly got out of his grip and ran to the hospital as quickly as he could.

"I have to wait for Ren, I have to wait." You said as the doctor and the several nurses surrounded you as they wheeled you into the delivery room.

"You can’t wait." The doctor said as tears began to stream down your face, you wanted to wait. You needed to wait. You wanted him to see your and his baby being born.

Just then the doors to the elevator opened as Ren’s hair flew behind him as he looked down the hall at you.

"Ren!" You called as they turned you into the delivery room. Ren quickly ran to your side as you held out your hand for him. "You made it." You kissed his hand as he smiled down at you.

"I wouldn’t miss this for the world." He breathlessly said as the nurses pulled him away to get dressed in sterile clothes as they got you ready to deliver.

Coming back in scrubs, Ren held your hand through the whole thing as he gave you strength and telling you that you were doing a great job. With your little energy you tried to hang on, until you finally heard the sweet cry of your little baby, it was loud and clear as it showed off that she had made some good lungs.

Leaning down, Ren smiled and kissed your forehead gently as he stood up to try and get a glimpse of the new arrival.

"It’s a boy~" The nurses called as tears flowed from the side of your eyes.

"Does he look ok?" You asked Ren as you saw him watching the nurses clean up the baby.

"He looks perfect." Ren looked back down at you as he carefully kissed your lips.

A few hours later, you were back in your private room as you rested. Ren stayed next to you as the nurses brought in your healthy baby boy.

"Healthy and perfect." The nurse said as she handed Ren the little baby wrapped in a pastel blue blanket. Tears formed in his eyes as he looked down at the perfect little angel that he held in his arms. Sitting down, he shared the baby with you as you just smiled.

"Hey baby." You smiled as tears swelled in your eyes, his little hand gripped your finger as he yawned gently before settling into her father’s arms.The little black hairs stood proudly on his head as he was curled up in a small ball with a little blue onesie on.

"What should we name him?" Ren asked as he kissed her small head.

"I like Haesoon" You said as you looked up at him with a smile.

"Haesoon it is." He kissed your lips again as you smiled and watched Ren walk around with your little boy as he happily slept in his arms, you could tell that your little boy would just be like his Daddy.