As if my day wasn't bad enough....

Shooting for the Stars

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" I snapped while attempting to pick myself up off the ground. "Oh my God. I'm so sorry! Here, let me help..." He mumbled as he stuck his hand in my face. "I don't need your help...I need to get off the ground though, so please just stay out of my way..." I muttered as I pushed his hand away, quickly looking away to avoid his pitifully confused face. I pulled myself up and scurried off. It had been a long day, and I just wanted to go home.

I felt a twinge of guilt as I continued making my way through the supermarket. I may have overreacted a bit when that guy ran into me. It wasn't even entirely his fault, I've just had a lot on my mind. Between school, my jobs, and the bills that seem to keep piling up faster than the money required to pay them...I shouldn't be surprised at my semi-distant state of mind. I mindlessly bite my lip as I consider going back to apologize, then I realized...I barely looked at the guy, how would I remember who he was? Without giving it another thought, I shrugged and shoved my hands into my pockets as I neared the entrance of the store. It's early spring, so the flora and fauna have begun to come out of hiding, even though the air is still a bit chilly.

After a refreshing twenty-five minute walk I finally approached the steps to my apartment. As the dark wooden door came more clearly into view I began digging in my pockets for my keys. I crinkle my nose in confusion as my hands come out empty. I pat down my pockets, confirming my fears -- I've lost my keys. I sighed as I slowly tread the remaining six steps to the door, sitting on the stairs as I rest my chin on my hands. "There's way too much ground between here and work...I'll never find them." I ruffle my hair and look up to the sky.

~~ As if my day wasn't bad enough... ~~

Suddenly I hear someone clear their throat, drawing me back from my thoughts. I look down to find myself met with a guy at the end of my walkway. I stared at him for a moment before nodding my head, giving him permission to approach me. He was dressed a little too light for someone used to this weather and you could tell by his shivers that it bothered him. "You're not from around here, are you? Or are you just crazy? It's too cold to be dressed like that..." I chuckled, motioning to his faded t-shirt. "At least I didn't walk twelve blocks before realizing I didn't have my house keys..." He retorted, pulling the keys from his pocket. He dangled them in front of me, a smirk playing its way across his lips. I gasped, jumping up from the stairs. "Y-You?! How did you get my keys?" He slowly approached me, holding the keys out to me. Then it hit me... "You're the guy from the supermarket!! Did you follow me all the way home?" He nodded, the smirk fading to a sheepish smile, "Yeah...I'm still really sorry, I should have been more careful." I flicked my wrist at him, shaking my head. "No no...I have had quite a bit on my mind lately, so I wasn't really all there...I'm the one who should be sorry..." He walked up, sitting next to me on the stairs. "I'm Junghwan by the way..." He smiled brightly and held out his hand, secretly hoping I wouldn't react the same as I did earlier. I shook his hand with a soft smile, "Well, Junghwan....care to come in and stay a while?"

----------------------------------------------

"What movie do you want to watch?" He yelled from the livingroom as he flipped through channels on the television.

"Let's watch a comedy!" I yelled back from the kitchen as I pulled the popcorn out of the microwave. Carrying the warm bowl, I made my way to the living room to find him sitting in the middle of the couch. "I hope you dont mind, the only decent movie I could find was a...err...romantic comedy." He said with a somewhat nervous chuckle. I gave him a nod and an 'I don't mind' and made myself cozy on the cushion next to him. As the movie started I placed the bowl of popcorn between us as a way of giving myself a mental barrier. We've been talking for hours as if we have been friends all our lives, but there's something about him that makes my heart flutter. His laugh, his smile, his hair, his...well, you get the point. There was part of me that wanted to be closer to him, but the more sensible part knew that rushing things would only lead to disaster. Besides, I've only known him a few hours! He, on the other hand, felt entirely okay with our..apparently mutual...attraction. Halfway through the movie, he picked up the bowl of popcorn and moved it to his lap before sliding closer to me. With that bold move, my mental barrier was crumbling...and fast. I stole occasional glances at him from the corner of my eye, and with each one my heart skipped a beat.