True Love

True Love - Kevin

The sky darkened sooner than usual as the clouds lowered with their heavy load of water. Coming home, you slipped into the shower to try and escape your long day. Finishing your shower, you slipped into a tank top and pajama shorts before you walked out to your bed as you dried and combed your hair.

Rain began to pound on the window as you always loved the rain, listening to the simple music of nature, you couldn’t help but sway to the pitter patter of the rain against your window. Once your hair was dry you put away the towel and hair brush as you pulled your hair over one shoulder as you braided it, walking to the couch.

Picking up one of your favorite books, you walked over by the window as you sat on the window seat. The light from the streetlights, hit the droplets of water as they transformed onto the pages of your book, Leaning your head against the cool glass, you sat there happily listening to the rain, as you read your book.

A while later, darkness surrounded you as you a few lamps, making your place feel cozy. Strangely whimpers and cries were heard from your front door. Brushing off the sounds the first couple times, you didn’t think anything of it. But when a yelp was heard and scratching against your door, you knew you had to go investigate. Marking your place in your book, you moved the blanket from your lap as you walked cautiously to your front door.

Standing on the tips of your toes, you looked through the peep hole to see if anyone was outside. Nobody. Hearing another whine and scratching you opened the door as you looked down by your feet. A dog, a brown dog looked up at you as it was soaked and it’s coat was matted against it’s skin. Bending down you tilted your head as you extended your hand to the strange dog.

Barely having any energy and his body shaking, you pet his head as he his lips and wagged his tail slightly. Picking him up, you closed the door moving him inside as you carried him to the bathroom.

"What were you doing out there? Don’t you have a family to go home to?" You talked to the strange dog as you set him inside your bathtub, turning on the warm water, the dog happily lapped up the water from the faucet. "Ok, when you are done drinking we’ll take a bath." You waited for the dog to finish as he looked at you.

Filling up one of your plastic cups with warm water, you cascaded the water over him, before squeezing some of your shampoo and conditioner into your hands as you worked your way around his body. Dirt, twigs and rocks fell from his coat, revealing his true colors.

"So you aren’t a brown dog, you’re a white one." You giggled as you massaged his feet with your hands before rinsing him off. "Hang on, ok. I will go get a towel for you." Leaving the bathroom for a moment, you came out with a black towel as you wrapped him up in it, lifting him out of the tub and placing him on the rug.

Ruffling up his fur, drying it. He your face thankfully as you smiled and kissed him back. Once you were done, you stood up as he jumped up and rested his front paws on your lower leg. “How about we go find you some food, you must be hungry.” You clapped your hands as he yelped happily. Walking to the kitchen, you tried to look for some food for him, eventually finding some meat that he could eat, you placed it in a bowl on the floor with a water bowl next to it.

"Enjoy your meal." You said as you patted his head as he dug into his meal, you walked over to the window seat as you resumed your place in your book. Once the dog was finished, he happily jogged over to where you were and jumped up, snuggling in your lap. He set his head in your lap as his eyes soon dropped off and fell asleep.

"Why are you so cute." You whispered as you carefully wrapped a blanket around the dog, to make sure that he wouldn’t catch a cold from his adventures.

That night you slept there with him, your head against the glass and your arms around him as he happily slept on you too, protecting you from anything he could.

Weeks later, you still couldn’t find a name for him. Watching him sleep next to you in your bed was precious, he was like an angel. With such a little dog, he sure brought a lot of happiness into your home. The morning light bled into your room as you kissed his head.

"I’ll be back soon, wake up when you need to." You ran your fingers through his fur as you got up and moved off of the bed. Making your way to the kitchen you heard a commotion in your bedroom, for this was not like your little dog. Usually, he would just come out and hang around you when he first woke up. Jogging back into your room, you found a man, sleeping in your bed.

"W-Who are y-you!" You said loudly, pulling the man out of sleep, he sat up and looked at you. He barked slightly as he smiled at you.

"Wait…. are you the little fluffy, white dog?" You asked curiously as he looked at his appearance and grumbled, rolling his head from one side to the other.

"I’m sorry." He said perfectly. "I’m sorry that I dragged you into this. I didn’t bite you yet, have I?" He asked as he sat on the bed with his shoulder caving around his body. Shaking your head he let out a breath of relief.

"W-What’s going on?" You asked as you backed up against a wall.

"I’m Kevin Woo. I am very sorry, I don’t mean to scare you. I just got transformed into a dog until I met my angel. Then I would turn into a human, but if she couldn’t accept my love, then I would become a dog forever." He explained shortly as you took a few deep breaths trying to process all of this information.

"So you came to me because I am your angel?" You asked finally as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"You were the one that turned me back. I have found my true love, you." He said with a beautiful smile on his face.

"Do I have to do anything?" You asked as you crossed your arms over your body, feeling a little uncomfortable.

"Do anything?" Kevin asked as he tilted his head softly at you.

"Like kiss you or say a special saying to you." You recalled all of the princess stories that you had read when you were a little girl.

"Ah…. no. If you don’t want me, I understand." He stood up and wrapped a towel around his waist. "I’m sorry if I caused any trouble." He placed his hand on your shoulder as his eyes stared into yours.

Those eyes, they felt the same as the dog’s. So warm and comforting. He walked away, making his way to the door.

"Wait!" You called from your bedroom before walking out to him.

"Yes?" Kevin turned and looked at you.

"I can’t ask you to leave, please stay here as long as you need to." You said selflessly as he smiled brightly at you, walking past you and sitting on the couch.

Minutes later, you sat next to him as his sleepy state took over and his head rested on your shoulder. In shock, you looked over at his sleeping figure. Petting his hair carefully brought you back to his dog days. Brushing his hair out of his eyes, you gave his forehead a little kiss.

"I’ll take care of you as long as I can." You wrapped your arm around him as he smiled and felt this transformation come over him as he knew that he would remain human for you forever. By your words, he knew that you loved him. His heart knew that he loved you too.

That was enough to break the spell, love filled words and gestures. Kevin had finally found his true love, and you knew that you had found yours too.