CH1

Is This Really Fate?

The timer told him he had 17 minutes, 21 seconds left.

Jongdae could only widen his eyes at the short amount of time he had left.

--

The year is 2780, and a new wristwatch known as the “Cupid’s Watch” has recently come out. The new watch has a timer that could, apparently, figure out how much time one has before s/he meets his/her soul mate. At first, Jongdae believes it to be complete bull and just a hoax to make it popular, but soon enough, news channels explode with the revelation that it actually works. Jongdae stares at the news report in disbelief, and still refuses to buy one.

“Come on, Jongdae.” The slender boy only glares at his best friend, Kyungsoo. “It really does work! Or do you really want to live alone for the rest of your life?”

Jongdae only snorts before continuing to wipe down the counters of his new bakery.

“What if it doesn’t work for me? You’re only saying to works because it actually did for you!” Jongdae sends a friendly glare to the figure with his arms wrapped around Kyungsoo.

“Don’t be jealous that our relationship is so perfect, Mr. Kim.” Said “Mr. Kim” rolls his eyes as Jongin (aka the figure) leans down to plant a kiss on Kyungsoo’s lips. 

“Don’t call me that, Jongin. And ew, please don’t make out in my bakery! I’m too innocent for this.” After a while, Jongdae makes eye contact with Kyungsoo, who gives him a pleading look. He sighs, only to say, “Fine, I’ll buy the damn watch if you two would stop being so gross in my shop!”

--

And that’s what got Jongdae to where he is now, staring at his dumb watch in disbelief. “Definitely fake,” he murmurs to himself as he drops his wrist and makes his way to the bakery. He enters and is greeted by a smiling Sehun and an ecstatic Kyungsoo and Jongin.

Oh Sehun is one of Jongdae’s only workers at the bakery, a quiet but friendly high school boy.

“Did you get it?” Kyungsoo almost jumps out of his seat in anticipation. “We pre-ordered it just for you! I swear, if you didn’t pick it up…”

“Oh geez, Kyungsoo, I did, I did!” Kyungsoo squeals as Jongdae lifts up his watch.

“Aw, that’s too bad.” Jongdae turns around to find Sehun staring at the time on his watch. “It seems we’re not meant to be, boss.” Sehun looks at his watch – he has about a month left. “Though your time is coming close!” Jongdae only laughs and goes back to arranging the cakes in the display case. He looks at Kyungsoo and Jongin with an accusatory glare, but the duo just go back to sharing Jongdae’s newest cake. Gross.

By the time his watch reaches a minute, Jongdae’s already forgotten about his watch. He’s too caught up giving wide smiles to his customers and thanking others for compliments. He beams at Sehun when he receives an especially kind review, and Sehun can only laugh back at the childish look on Jongdae’s face. Sehun hasn’t been working at Jongdae’s bakery for long, but he knows the man well enough to know that baking has always been his passion, along with singing. This bakery is everything to Jongdae.

Said manager turns away from his cakes when he hears the bell attached to his door, signaling the entrance another customer. He immediately smiles, welcoming the stranger into the bakery. While the mystery customer looks at the pastries, Jongdae feels his wrist buzz, and he is suddenly frozen in place. He had completely forgotten about the watch. His eyes take the time to actually look at this new customer, and Jongdae feels his heart stop. This is his soulmate? He shakes his head in shock – there was no way. Kyungsoo and Jongin must’ve played a prank on him. They did pre-order it for him, after all.

But wow, Jongdae thinks when he takes in the sight in front of him. The boy had light chestnut hair (Jongdae wonders how it would feel between his fingers), light and smooth looking skin (he wonders how soft it would be if he touched it), and a fashion sense worth dying for (he wonders how nice it would be to see him without them… wait what?)

Jongdae is snapped out of his thoughts when said customer with the killer hair and skin and clothes suddenly looks up at him.

“Do you know what you want?” Jongdae gives his signature smile, brushing off the thoughts he had just had earlier and swallowing down the heat creeping up his face.

The boy gives him a breath-taking smile, and Jongdae notices that he has one of the nicest eye-smiles he has ever seen. “Yeah, can I get a slice of the strawberry-chocolate decadence cake and a coffee?” Jongdae simply nods, handing him the slice of cake. “I’ll get you your coffee when it’s finished brewing.” The boy nods and walks off to find a seat in the tiny café.

His three friends had all seen the exchange and Jongdae turns to find all three of their faces full of shock.

“That’s going to be Jongdae’s soulmate?”

“He’s kinda hot… ow, I’m just kidding , Kyungsoo babe!”

Sehun walks up to Jongdae, and places a cup of freshly brewed coffee onto a serving tray for Jongdae. “Good luck boss, don’t this one up.” Jongdae can only turn red and gives him a playful shove. He takes the tray and makes his way to the customer, and placing down his coffee.

“Here’s your coffee,” Jongdae says, and then bows to take his leave.

“Wait, I have a question!”

Jongdae spins around. The boy has a magnificent sounding voice – it is smooth and light, with the playfulness of a puppy. He only his head slightly, pushing the boy to continue.

“Well, you see… could you just send my compliments to the baker? This cake is wonderful!” He gives a dazzling smile and for a second, Jongdae forgets how to breathe. He straightens himself up and laughs.

“Why thank you, I’m glad you enjoy my baking!” Jongdae lets out a small giggle when he sees a confused look on the boy’s face.

“Oh, wait – you’re the baker?!”

“Yeah, this is my bakery!”

“Oh lord, I am so sorry! Your baking skills are pretty freaking awesome.” He laughs, and continues to laugh even harder when he sees Jongdae beaming at him. “I’ll remember this bakery, thank you for the cake, uhm –“

“Oh, I’m Kim Jongdae.” He sticks out his hand, and the customer gives it a firm shake.

“It’s nice to meet you Jongdae, I’m Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun!”

 It’s then that Jongdae not only figures out the name of this remarkable stranger, but also learns that—

“He doesn’t have a dumb watch!” Jongdae exclaims when Baekhyun walks out of the bakery.

“But it only shows that it works right?” Jongdae shoots a confused look towards Jongin. “I mean, he said that he’ll ‘remember this bakery’, and he asked for your name right? He’ll definitely be coming back to visit.” Jongdae can only roll his eyes at Jongin’s words and the shouts coming from Kyungsoo and Sehun.

Jongdae decides to close early today, and he rushes home to throw himself in his studies to forget the boy with the pretty eye-smile and breath-taking laugh.