be mine

Together, We Will

The four of you were just about as crazy as everyone else. With thirty minutes left before the clock strikes twelve, all four of you huddled together under one large blanket.

It was negative eighteen degrees and with the wind chill it was much colder than just -18°C.

You, Myungsoo, Taehyung, and Soomin looked around you. Everyone was trying to keep themselves warm; children and young adults wore hats, mittens, earmuffs, eternity scarves around their necks and very thick layers of clothing plus their winter jacket.

“If only I didn’t forget to bring my fluffy mittens.” you whined as you rubbed your bare hands together.

You glanced at the large screen in front of you, counting down with everyone else.

Twenty eight minutes left.

“Same here. If only stupid Tae wouldn’t have rushed me out the house, I would’ve been able to keep at least my neck warm from this chilly weather.” Soomin glared at Taehyung.

The boy put his hands up in defense. “Hey it wasn’t entirely my fault. Myungsoo hyung just wanted to see Hyesu noona early.”

Myungsoo turned to his left and bonked his younger cousin on the head with his fist. Taehyung hissed in pain from the sharp part of Myungsoo’s knuckle. “You abuse me at the right places especially when there are hundreds of people, hyung. I’m telling auntie when we get home. You’ll be in for some deep .”

This time Soomin whacked him on the head, just a few inches away from where Myungsoo hit him. “What was that for woman!?” He hollered in double the pain. This was not how he expected his year to end, with two of his most important people assaulting him and one bystander who isn’t really paying her full attention to the scene.

“Hah. That’s what you get for using unwise language, young man.” She said teasingly, referring to the little crowd of toddlers and young children surrounding them.

The wool blanket, personally knitted by you was large enough to cover the four of you. You stood on one end of the blanket as did Soomin, whereas the two boys stayed in the middle.

“Isn’t it gentlemen-like for the guys to protect the girls? Why is it the other way around?” You giggled at your best friend when she blew white smoke into the air.

While Soomin and Taehyung were bickering to your far left, you rubbed your hands together in hopes to keep them warm. It was chilly tonight and you weren’t prepared for this weather.

Myungsoo saw your body shivering and thought of something. “Hey Hyesu, do you want to switch places with me? It’ll probably be less cold if you stand on the inside. You know, with Taehyung and me keeping you warm.”

You nodded at his idea and carefully switched places with him. “Thank you, Myungsoo.”

You stood for a few minutes and instantly, you felt much better than standing on the outside of the blanket. You were thankful of Myungsoo’s kindness.

“Are you cold? Do you want to exchange places with me?” You saw him snuggle further into your blanket, and closer to you.

“No, no. It’s fine. I’m not cold.” He smiled at you, showing his dimples. You thought they made him look super adorable but never would you tell him that.

The two of you stood side by side, shoulders touching. Connected Square was super crowded tonight since it was the New Year’s Eve Countdown. Couples, families, and friends all gathered at Connected Square to share the joy of the year to come.

Your hands were no longer freezing in the cold, but you continued to rub them together. It felt warm. Suddenly, you felt someone slip their hand into yours. You turned to your right and there was Myungsoo, meekly smiling at you.

With his fingers laced with yours, he held onto it firmly. You looked down at your intertwined hands and you could feel your heart palpitating. “Myungsoo…”

Myungsoo pulled you closer to him and whispered in your ear, “Do you feel warm now?”

You felt your cheeks heating up. “Yes.” You replied.

You couldn’t believe what Myungsoo did. You thought you were dreaming and when you pinched your thighs, you felt the light pain. So I’m not dreaming. He’s really holding my hand. You thought.

On the other hand, you noticed how Taehyung and Soomin were quiet now. Weren’t they bickering just a while ago? You thought.

You turned towards your left and found Soomin with her arms wrapped around Taehyung’s abdomen. You thought it was such an adorable scene. Too bad I forgot to bring my camera. You thought. It was such a rare scene to see two of your friends not quarreling like they usually did.

You nudged Myungsoo with your hands in his and leaned towards him, your eyes not leaving the couple next to you. You whisper-squealed to Myungsoo, “Don’t you think your cousin and my best friend are so cute together? They’d make such a cute couple.”

You didn’t notice how close you were to him until you felt him breathe into your ear. Finally understanding your stance, you stood upright and apologized.

“Don’t worry, I wasn’t bothered by it, and yes, they suit each other very well. Just like us.” He whispered the last part but you were too excited about Soomin and Taehyung to hear his last sentence.

With all the cheers and excitement in the crowd, you slowly forgot about the hands linked with yours. You were shouting with everyone else, beginning the countdown. There were five more minutes until the clock strikes 12 o’clock. You were feeling ecstatic.

“Hey Myungsoo, what are your resolutions for the new year?” You asked the boy standing beside you.

Myungsoo laughed, “I’ll tell you when twenty-fourteen arrives. Until then … you’ll have to wait.”

You pouted your cheeks unintentionally. You really wanted to know.

You turned your attention over to Taehyung and Soomin. They looked comfortable in each other’s embrace.

“Taehyung, Soomin, what are your resolutions for the new year?” You asked.

They looked at each other for a few seconds before looking back at you. “To find a girlfriend/to find a boyfriend.” They said together.

It was perfect, you thought, as if they could read each other’s mind. The two of them chuckled and you saw how Soomin snuggled into the crook of Taehyung’s neck. Your inner fangirl side was coming out as you tried not to burst into squeals.

“Oh my gosh you guys should just date each other! So cute!”

You were happily bouncing on the spot and Myungsoo couldn’t help chuckle at your cute behaviour. Your hands were still linked with his and you totally forgot about it until you slipped out of it and brought both your hands up to your cheeks.

When you felt the loss of the warm on your right hand, you took a glimpse at Myungsoo from your peripheral vision. You saw that he was a little dejected but you didn’t know why. You thought it was the coldness getting to him.

The crowd screamed and shouted. You shifted your gaze from the floor up to the grand screen on the building of Connected Square.

“Guys, let’s countdown together!”

There were thirty seconds left until January 1st, 2014.

Both your hands were placed on your sides, and once again you felt someone slip their hand into yours. This time, you knew very well who it was.

Kim Myungsoo.

You looked to your right and your eyes caught his. You locked gazes with each other, the noise coming from the crowd slowly fading as you could hear nothing but the pounding of your heart beat.

“Lee Hyesu,” he called out your name.

“Yes?” You squeaked.

Just then, as if the cork of a wine bottle popped, you heard loud noises coming from all around you. People were screaming at the top of their lungs in joy. But your focus was on the man in front of you.

“Happy twenty-fourteen.”

“Happy New Year to you too, Myungsoo.”

“So...” he began, “do you still want to know what my resolution is?”

You nodded.

“Be mine.” He said and then leaned down to capture your lips in his.

When your lips parted and his forehead leaned against yours, the two of you lightly laughed.

“I’d love to.”

And he leaned in for another kiss.