The Almost-Dream

Bearing the Crown

 Kim Won

At night, in the comfort of his study, he holds the wishbone between his tired hands.

Sometimes, he wonders if he should have been the one to break it. He recalls what he would have wished, a lifetime with you after the dust settles and everything falls into place, a marriage I swear to cherish and nurture, a family I promise to guide with steady but comforting hands with you.

That wish seems far-fetched now.

It has been months since his family struggled with the power play presented by his stepmother. Looking back, he had already foreseen this loneliness. He braced his knees and remained formidable, unbroken as he became the man of the family during the decline of his father’s health. He stood firm and came out of the war alive.

Scathed but alive. At least he is alive.

This is what you’ve coveted all your life, Won.

Today is supposed to be their fourth anniversary. He does not contact her. He goes through his meetings from morning to night, ensuring that his schedule is busiest today. He declines lunch with Yang Da Kyung, who came punctually during his supposed break. He has returned Tan’s call for the first time since they started mending their relationship. He does not join the family dinner, one his father personally invited him for in favor of an overseas phone call. He knows the people around him can easily dismiss his non-appearance for his job.

Nobody knows better than her.

What if you were also my dream, like how Tan dreamed of Eun Sang?

He opens one of the drawers, taking a remnants of the life he wants to hold on to, but can’t.

He stares at her, her smile awkward but beautiful. He feels warmth pool in his chest as his eyes start to water, remembering how he stood on the other side of the camera the time the photo was taken as he said those three words.

He sleeps in his study that night.