Chapter 9

Bite the bullet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9

"So then..." Hongbin gulped, considering in his head whether he should continue or just drop the subject. It became too awkward for him to start conversations with Leo ever since he started asking strange questions about the red threads. He was not sure if he made Leo uncomfortable or if it was just him that was causing their friendship to become awkward. After putting a lot of thought to it, Hongbin decided to just go for it and ask Leo, "So then, you know who everyone is fated to? Even mine...?"

Leo checked his hand again when Hongbin had brought back the topic of the red strings. The red knot on his little finger was the same as yesterday and still, the red string's other end was nowhere to be found. "I know," Leo replied moments later with a nod.

"How about yours? Have you met yours yet?" Hongbin asked softly, careful with his words. He figured that if he chose the wrong ones, Leo might get angry with him. He did want that to happen especially when he recently just made N upset. Hongbin has yet to apologise and guilt was slowly eating him up. Him and N may not be in best terms with each other because of the way that he would treat him, but that did not mean that he could not feel remorse about his bad behaviour. Sighing, he glanced at Leo since the latter had not spoken after his question. "Hyung...? Do you not like who you're fated to?"

Of course, Leo heard Hongbin's words. It was just that he could not bring himself to talk or answer him since he thought that it was too random of Hongbin to suddenly talk about the red strings. For him, it was still a bit puzzling how Hongbin deduced and connected Leo's unconscious habit to the myths that he claimed to have read about. Hongbin did not even strike him as someone who would be curious about such things – the supernatural and the likes. Leo thought that it was only N who would pester about millions of questions about the most random things.

Deciding that he already made Hongbin wait too long for his answer, Leo said, "There's nothing anyone of us can do about it..." He then paused, recalling his lifelong friend. He glanced at Hongbin, "Have you apologised?"

Hongbin swallowed thickly since he still hasn't. "I haven't... I-I don't know how to –" He stopped abruptly when he felt Leo's hand on top of his head, ruffling his hair in a friendly manner. It was... rather soothing.

"It's better to do it soon or you'll end up not apologising at all... I'm..." Leo trailed off, unsure of what he should say next. It felt as if he was talking to himself instead of Hongbin because he could not possibly imagine how it would be like if N were to leave again. His time was running out and he knew that. His lifelong friend would be gone once more and Leo's questions would be left unanswered – For what? Another few months? Years?

"Yes," Hongbin answered definitely. "I'm going to apologise. Don't worry... I'll take care of him and try to tolerate him until he finally..." Hongbin tilted his head a little and his eyes met Leo's. "Until he finally goes to Japan..." And Hongbin certainly saw it – He swore that he had seen Leo's eyes reflecting some sort of emotion that he could not put into words.

"Why does he keep on going away...?" Leo murmured to himself as he rubbed Hongbin's back. The latter just watched him, trying to make sense of his actions because they did not add up to how he thought Leo was like. It was quiet again for a while, but Hongbin broke the silence after some time, "Leo-hyung, I thought –" Hongbin started, but suddenly stopped himself. Leo looked at him, his eyebrow raised. "I was just wondering why would you easily admit to seeing them...The red strings...?"

"Do you watch the television, Hongbin-ah?" Leo asked after a short moment of pondering. This further baffled Hongbin, but he nodded his head. Immediately, Leo told him, "Those two celebrities that are always on the news... They are not going to last..."

"What?" Hongbin said, a bit surprised. "Which couple?" He began enumerating names of young celebrities one by one, but Leo only shook his head in each pair that he mentioned. In the end, Leo just told him the name of the couple once he remembered their names

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter