Chapter 1

You're The Wind Beneath My Wings [ One Shot ]

Jae Hwa's P.O.V.

"Joon..."

A girl gasped. "It's not what you think..." Joon quickly backed away from the girl and reached out to me.

"..." I turned and ran out the door.

"Wait, Jae Hwa!!!"

I ran as far as my legs could carry me. I stopped underneath a lamp post and looked up at the darkened sky. Tears rolled down my face faster and faster. I clutched my chest and leaned against the lamp post and slowly slid down until I hit the floor and curled up in a ball. I hugged my knees and silently cried.

I was walking to Joon's house to celebrate our third year anniversary but when I got there, he was up against the wall with another girl. After all these years I thought he changed. But I guess he didn't. Apparently he was still the same play boy that I knew from freshman year in college. 

I wiped my tears and stood up. I looked back up the sky and sighed, watching the little white cloud slowly disappear. I turned and slowly walked away.

~~~~~~~~~

Joon's P.O.V.

"Wait, Jae Hwa!" She turned and ran out of the door. "!" I grabbed my jacket but the girl grabbed my hand.

"Joon-oppa stay please? Forget about her and make love to me. I'm better than her anyways." The girl smiled seductively at me.

I scowled and pushed her away, " you, you're not better than her! She's better than you in whole bunch of ways!! And she's sure as hell not a like you!" The girl gasped and looked hurt but I didn't give a damn. I put on my coat and ran out the door. I ran all around my block and the ones next to it but I didn't see her. I pulled out my cellphone and dialed her number. "Pick up, pick up."

"Hi~ you've reached my voicemail which means I'm not here to pick it up so leave a message! Bye~!"

I hung up and called her again. It went straight to her voicemall again. I leaned against the wall and slid down until I hit the floor. I looked down at the ground and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I hugged my knees and cried. This was the first time I ever cried in a long time. I looked up at the night sky and cried even harder. I wiped away my tears and stood up. I looked at my phone and tried calling her again.

"Hello?"

"Jae Hwa? Please listen-" Click.

...She hung up on me... I called her again. And again. And again.

She finally picked up after the tenth time. "What the hell do you want?!" She sounded like she was crying.

I took a deep breath, "Let me explain please."

"Explain what? That you were going to the campus behind my back and on our anniversary?!" She screamed in my ear.

I closed my eyes in agony, "No, you got it all wrong. She came to my house first. I was closing the door on her but she put her foot in the way and stepped into my house. I tried to push her out but she managed to push me against the wall. I flipped us so she was against the wall and I was about to kick her out again but you came."

"Excuses, excuses... You asked for a chance and I gave it to you. But all you did was waste it... I wasted three years on you... They were the best years of my life but in the end, you were just using me for your personal enjoyment weren't you? You never loved me. You never meant those three words." She sighed.

I was crying now, "I did love you and I still do. Please believe me."

"Why? So you can break my heart again like the others? No, I won't believe you. We're over. I never want to see you or hear from you again. Goodbye Lee Joon, this will be the last time we will ever talk."

"Wait!" Click. I slowly brought my phone in front of me. I watched as my phone went back to the home screen. I looked at my background picture and clutched my chest. It was of the day we had our first date... I put my phone back in my back pocket and started running down the street, toward her house. 

I was huffing and puffing when I finally reached her apartment. I looked up and didn't see any light coming from the living room. 'This will be the last time we will ever talk...' Echoed through my head. "No..." I ran up the stairs and banged on her door. "Jae Hwa!! Open up please!! Jae!!" I stopped and rested my forehead against the door, "Open up..." I slid down to my knees and cried against the door.

I heard footstepes to my right and I looked up. "She left a while ago. She was in a hurry to leave too."

I quickly stood up, "Leave?! Did she say where she was going?!"

The manager shook his head, "She didn't. All she said that she needed to get away from here and from...you." I looked down in shame. "Did something happen between the two of you?"

I bit my lip, "She saw something that was a huge misunderstanding."

The manager shook his head, "Aigoo... Well you better start looking for her if you ever want her back. You two were a great couple that looked like you both really loved each other even though you're both young. I'd hate to see you two forever broken up." He sighed and reached behind into his back pocket, "Here. I heard and saw you running up to her apartment and knew you came here looking for her." He held out a piece of folded paper.

I took it and eyed it curiously. "It's Jae Hwa's family's number. Try calling them, they might know where she is." He turned and started to walk down the stairs.

"Thank you sir." He looked up and nodded then went back to his apartment.

I stared at the paper in my hands then I unfolded it. I looked at the names then I pulled out my cell phone. I decided to call her mom first.

"Annyeonghaseyo?"

"Annyeong, I'm Jae Hwa's boyfriend. Did she call you to let you know where she is?"

"Uh, no she hasn't. Did something happen?"

"Oh, nevermind then. Thanks." I hung up and looked at the rest of the list. I sighed and started walking home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 Years Later...

"Jae Hwa~! You have an order to pick up for table four."

"Oh, okay, hold on." I quickly took the order I was currently taking and went back to the kitchen to get number four's order. I came out and looked around before I spotted table number four. "Annyeong~" I put down all of the plates and took a step back before I bowed. I was walking back to the kitchen when I felt faint. 

"Are you okay Jae? You look pale..." Asked on of my co-workers.

I smiled, "I'm fine. It's nothing really." I excused myself to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I really did look pale. I touched my forehead and felt myself burning up. I closed my eyes for a second and regretted it. I felt myself fall and hit the ground but I didn't feel the impact. I looked at the wall and slowly blinked as I felt myself being pulled even farther into the darkness. I took a deep breath and finally let myself fall into the darkness. I closed my eyes and I felt someone pulling me and I heard someone scream out my name but I was already gone to far to wake up. 

I blinked a few times before my eyes finally focused on the ceiling above me. I slowly sat up but pain quickly shot through my head. I held my head and waited for it to disappear. I looked around in the small white room before a nurse came in. She smiled, "I see you're awake now, are you feeling okay?"

I nodded, "I'm at the hospital aren't I?"

She nodded, "You fainted while you were at work. Does anything hurt?"

I hesitated, "Well, when I was trying to sit up, pain suddenly shot through my head..."

She nodded, "Arasso. A doctor will be here soon to check up on you. Wait until then okay?" I nodded and she smiled then walked out.

I sighed and looked outside the window. I didn't know how long I looked out the window before the doctor came in. "Annyeong." I turned my head to him and he smiled, "Your name is Jae Hwa right? Say, does anyone in your family have cancer?"

I looked at him confused, "Not that I know of. Why?"

"Well... You have cancer. We're not sure what type you have but we do know that it's killing your body quickly. From what we can tell, you don't have long to live."

I was speechless, "I...don't have long...to live...?" The doctor nodded. I chuckled nervously. I felt my chest constrict and tears rolled down my face.

"We'll do our best to help you so hold on until then, arasso?" I nodded. The doctor nodded and left my room with the nurse.

My chest constricted again. I clutched my chest and looked out toward the window, crying. "Joon..."

I left the hospital the next day. I went back to work a few days later. I was coming out of the kitchen with a table's order when I stopped at the table. "Annyeong~" I laid out the table's orders and took a step and bowed. When I stood up and finally looked at the customer's face, I gasped. 

He looked up and he gasped also, "Jae Hwa...?" I turned and quickly walked away. He reached out and grabbed my arm, "Wait!" I turned and tried to pushed him away but he just held on tighter. 

"Let me go!" I pushed again but I felt all of the air leave my lungs. I looked up at him and I out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joon's P.O.V.

"Jae Hwa...?" I looked up at the waitress before me and I couldn't believe my eyes. I spent two years looking for her and I finally found her. She turned and walked away. I reached out and grabbed her arm, "Wait!" I stood up and she turned and tried to push me away but I just held on tighter.

"Let me go!" She pushed again but she stopped struggling. She looked up at me then she fainted.

"Jae Hwa!!" I screamed, worried. I quickly picked her up and carried her out of the restruant and set her in my car. I sped off toward the hospital.

I ran inside and got help and soon, Jae Hwa was on a stretcher, heading into the ER. I sat outside in the hall and waited in agony. The doctor finally came out and I sprang up from my seat, "How is she? Is she going to be okay?"

The doctor held up his hand to motion me to stop talking, "Are you part of her family?"

"No, but I'm her boyfriend."

He nodded, "Arasso. She's fine but not for long. She has cancer and we still haven't figured out what type she has. We compared her body's x-ray from when she first visit us to this one and it doesn't look promising. The cancer is attacking her body's white blood cells and all of the other important cells. It's slowly killing her so she only has a while to live."

I gaped at him, speechless. "C-cancer...?" The doctor nodded. I sat back down and stared at the ground beneath me. 

The doctor sighed and patted my shoulder, "We're doing the best we can right now. We're not sure if we can cure her but we can probably give her, at the least, a few more months to live. But that's the best we'll probably be able to do."

I nodded, "Please, do anything to save her. I'll pay for everything, just give her those months." I clucthed onto his arms and begged, "Please."

He nodded, "Arasso. We'll do our best." He went back into the room.

Two hours later, she was finally moved from the ER, into a patient's room. I waited until all of the nurses left before I slowly walked in and sat beside her. I reached out for her hand but stopped. I grabbed onto the railing instead and buried my face into my arm and cried. I looked up at her pale face. I slowly reached up and her cheek softly and lightly. I covered my mouth as I began to sob. I looked up at the ceiling and sobbed even harder. 'Why now...? Why her?!' I screamed in my head. I looked at her pale hand and grabbed it, putting it in my hand. I closed my hands around it and held on tightly. I fell asleep with my head resting beside our intwined hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jae Hwa's P.O.V.

I rolled my head to the side and groaned. I blinked and looked out the window and saw that morning had already come. I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. I lifted my hand but felt something weighing it down. I looked down and saw the last person that I wanted to see. I tried to pull my hand out of his grasp but he just held on tighter and tighter. I sighed and finally gave up. 

I heard him groan. I waited until he sat up before I said anything. "Get out."

He looked at me like a deer in headlights then he let out a breath of relief, "You're awake..." He said softly.

"Neh, now get out of my room."

He looked at me with a pained expression. I scowled at him, "Did you not hear me?! Get out!" I sat up and reached out to strike him but pain shot through my skull. I clutched onto my head.

"Omo, what's wrong?" He said, sounding worried.

"Nothing," I gritted, "Just get out!" I screamed.

He wrapped his arms around me, "No, you can scream and hit me all you want but I won't leave."

I started crying and he held me tighter, "Why...? You have that other girl!"

"She's not my girl... You are. And I told you already that it was a misunderstanding..." I tsked, "What can I do to prove it?"

"Nothing." I mumbled.

He was quiet for a minute before he replied, "I'll take you out to do everything that you love to do." He put his finger against my lips as I was about to reply, "I'll prove it to you this way. I'll prove that I really do love you because if a guy didn't really love his girl, he wouldn't remember the things that she really loves to do. So please, just give me one more chance?"

I finally looked at his face and I saw how puffy his eyes were. 'Was he crying...for me...?' I looked away and bit my lip. I sighed, "Arasso...one more chance. But, you screw this one up, and you're never ever getting anymore chances." He smiled and nodded. I sighed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next Day:

I groaned as Joon dragged me along, "Where are we going?"

He turned and smiled at me, "You'll see."

I sighed. 

"We're here!" My eyes widen when I read the big sign.

"Amusement Park?!?!?! Yeah~! Let's go!!" I grabbed Joon's arm and dragged him behind me.

It was starting to get dark when we finally got to the last one on Joon's list. "So what's the last one?" I said smiling up at him.

He smiled back, "Impatient aren't we?" He laughed, "You'll see, hold on."

I pouted, "That's what you said five minutes ago!"

"And I'll say it again in another five minutes if you don't be quiet." He playfully pinched my lips closed. I pouted. He chuckled and held onto my hand as I skipped beside him. He stopped and walked behind me, "Close your eyes." I closed them and I felt his hands go over my eyes.

"Hey-" I reached up and grabbed his hands.

"You'll see and I won't let anything happen to you, I promise." I slowly put my hands down.

We started walking forward and I felt myself being turned around a corner before we stopped, "Here we are!" I opened my eyes and gasped. I gaped at the lit up garden. There were strings of lights hanged up everywhere, giving it a romantic lighting. I walked forward and saw a pond. I reached in and fishes started to swim up against my hand. I giggled and saw a candle float by. I looked up and saw many star-shaped and heart-shaped candles floating on top of lily pads. I turned and saw Joon smiling at me. I ran over to him and kissed him, "I love you."

He wrapped his arms around me tightly, "And I love you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joon's P.O.V.

The screen beeped, "It's a miracle that she lived for this long. Our estimate before was a few months not a few years. I wonder what drove her to live for this long..."

I chuckled as a tear rolled down my face. "I wonder too..."

Flashback: A week ago:

"Joon."

"Neh?"

"I already know I don't have much time to live. I can feel my body getting weaker and weaker." I turned to her but she pressed her fingers against my lips to stop me from saying anything, "But when I do die, I want you to promise me that you will go on living. That you will forget about me and find a new love. You're my everything and I don't want to look down on you and see you walking home drunk everynight because of me, so promise me, you'll find a new love and live, arasso?"

I slowly grabbed her hand and held it in my mine. I stared at it as I answered, "Arasso... I'll live but I won't promise that I'll find a new love. I love you and only you." 

"Aigoo..." She sighed, "Oh well, Cupid will shoot you in the soon when you find a new love so I guess I'll just have to stick with that." She grinned.

"Aish! I said I won't-" She kissed me. I wrapped my arms around her and held her tightly.

She pulled away until there was only a little space between our lips, "You know you're the reason that I'm still here, that I'm still alive." My heart skipped a beat. I pulled her into my lap and she rested her head against my chest, "Thank you Joon, for giving me the happiest years of my life. I love you." 

"Your welcome and I love you as well." I leaned in and kissed her.

End Flashback:

I walked out of the hospital. I stepped into my car but I didn't start it until a few minutes later. I sped down the high way. I finally stopped at the city lights. I pressed onto the gas pedal and was crossing the inner section when I saw huge headlights coming my way from my right. I looked and saw a huge truck heading my way. 

When the truck finally hit my car, it felt like it was all in slow motion. The car rolled and tumbled before it finally stopped.

People got out of their cars and ran to the scene, checking to see if the driver was still alive. They managed to get him out but it was already to late... He was dead. Lee Joon took his last breath and one last look up at the stars.

The screen beeped one last time before the line went flat and Jae Hwa took her her last breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They both opened their eyes and slowly stood up. "A field...?" They said simultaneously. They turned and finally saw eachother. They ran across the field and right into each other's arms.

"Joon..."

"Jae Hwa..."

"I love you." They said simultaneously. They kissed and held each other tightly in their arms.

They may have not lived but their love lived on. Their love followed them in the afterlife and they lived happily ever after...