The Nice Guy

Unseen Haven

It was a gloomy day according to the news. And Jaeyeon felt the gloominess in the air of Hanyang Children’s Hospital. The staffs and even the doctors and nurses were somehow moody. She guessed it was because of the weather. The kids weren’t as jolly too. She can hear them playing and running around but not as much louder. It may be because the other parents did not allow their kids to out and play in the play area.

 

She went to her usual spot in the play area; the swing. To her surprise there was already someone her favorite spot. She smiled at the person and tried to sit to the other swing next to it. She can feel the presence of the person next to her. She can feel those two eyes staring at her as she carefully sat in the swing. But it doesn’t feel wrong neither scary.

 

“The weather is already gloomy. Why don’t you smile a little?” She said to the person next to her. She heard him chuckled.

 

“Like this?” A voice of a man answered. He can feel his gaze fixated on her. He must’ve noticed by now.

 

“Your teeth must show.” She commanded him. He laughed lightly. It was weird. He seemed familiar but she can’t clearly tell.

 

“You should smile with me.” He asked her back. He faced him and gives her all and smile. She heard him laugh again.

 

“Do I look weird or something?” She asked him curiously.

 

“No. You looked really pretty.” He complimented her. She felt her cheeks warmed because of what he said.

 

“But you laughed when I smiled at you.” She told him whining a little. He didn’t answer and it became too silent. She thought he may have left already but he heard him sighed. She felt a drop of cold water on her face. A few minutes later, the rain slowly started pouring.

 

The man beside her grabbed her hand and started running with. She just followed him and run. She didn’t know where he would take her but she didn’t mind. The man didn’t seem like a bad person. They stop for a while. It seemed like the man was struggling with something. Then she felt two warm hands on her shoulders.

 

“Use this.” He finally spoke. She felt the warm coat around her. They run again for a few minutes and she heard a beeping sound of a car. He led her inside carefully. They sat in there without talking until she breaks the silence.

 

“I live around here. Only a few blocks away.” She informed him. He didn’t respond but she knew he smiled at what she said.

 

“I’ll take you home.” He insisted. After giving him few instructions he wheeled the car and we drove away. There was not a single word until they reached their destination.