Story

A Banana Milk Encounter

Cha Hakyeon was fed up for all the projects and requirements his professor asked him to do. He has been up all night thinking how he'll finish those on time. That's why he decided to take a break.

 

The tired guy went to a convenience store nearby his apartment. He went there to buy his favorite drink. He was eagerly looking for it on the refrigerator until he bumped on someone. Hakyeon didn't notice that upon holding the drink that he finally found, there is also someone holding onto it.

 

“Hey! I found this first.”

 

Hakyeon there finally realized. He looked to the blonde-haired guy holding his banana milk.

 

“I'm sorry but you have mistaken this. I am the first one who found it, you could just look for another bottle.”

 

Hakyeon started to walk towards the counter but the guy stopped him and gripped his arm.

 

“I'm sorry also but there is none left. I'm in a hurry and if you don't mind it was really me who found it first.”

 

Hakyeon is starting to be annoyed. He really wanted this drink and he has too much today for another problem.

 

“Okay, we'll ask the cashier if there's any stock left. I just can't go without my banana milk.”

 

The two guys went to the counter and asked for a stock. To their misfortune, there is really none left.

 

“Sirs, I'm sorry but there are no available stocks for the banana milk. One of you must give way or... you two can share it together. ”

 

The two guys are now really frustrated. The two of them would not let go of the banana milk. Hakyeon looked intently to the guy's eyes and found out that the man does the same.

 

“Okay, we'll share.”

 

The cashier smiled shyly with the two guys' decision.

 

Hakyeon seated on the table near the entrance. He was looking out on the busy street when the guy talked.

 

“What an incident it is! They are out of stock of my favorite drink and I'm gonna share the last bottle with you. Don't you find it weird...?”

 

Hakyeon looked at the guy. He seems waiting for an answer.

 

“Oh, I'm Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon. You are?”

 

The guy laughed a little. Hakyeon felt something upon seeing that. He find it strange, he hasn't felt this way before.

 

“I thought you are not gonna answer. I'm Lee Jaehwan and I'm 22.”

 

Hakyeon felt a little comfortable now. He thought that this little conversation might help him to unwind a little.

 

“I'm older than you. I'm 24. Do you like banana milk also?”

 

Their conversation has gone longer. They listened to each others' story and found out that they go to the same university.

 

They have taken the chance to know each other with this talk. In the end they took each other's phone number and promised to hang out if they have time.

 

That night was a memory to remember for Hakyeon. It was nice meeting Jaehwan after all, although he felt a little bit weary with his chest's reaction a while ago.

 

The days passed and the two guys continue communicating each other. They send morning messages and sometimes call each other. They also eat lunch together at times if both not busy. Their friendship continued to grow as each day came.

 

To: Hakyeon

Hakyeon-hyung, can we talk? Something happened.

From: Jaehwan

 

Reading the message, Hakyeon felt a little weird. He felt like something bad has happened to his dear friend.

 

That afternoon they meet at the convenience store. Hakyeon there found out that Jaehwan and his girlfriend broke up. He could see so much sadness in Jaehwan's eyes that he also feels hurt.

 

“Let's go. I'll treat you a drink.”

 

Hakyeon pulled Jaehwan's hand out to the store and ran towards a little restaurant which offers soju.

 

“I guess you need something like this Jaehwan-ah. It is okay if you will cry, just let your emotions, hmm?”

 

Hakyeon watches the guy as it started drinking. After a moment Jaehwan's tears started to fall.

 

“I don't know hyung. Am I bad? She left me. I don't know if I can still live now without her.”

 

Hakyeon feels like something is tearing his heart. He doesn't know why but it seems that he is pained looking at Jaehwan's situation.

 

“No, Jaehwan-ah. You can. Of course you will. It is not the end for you. I am here, I'll help you.”

 

Through the night, Hakyeon watched Jaehwan drinks until he got drunk. He really intended not to drink because he knew Jaehwan will get drunk.

 

He took Jaehwan to his apartment. He lay him on the sofa and went to find some clothes. When he's changing Jaehwan's clothes, his heart started to be weird again. He doesn't know but it happens to him everytime Jaehwan is near him especially when the other touches him.

 

He seated next to Jaehwan and watches the guy sleeping nicely. He then thinks deeply as he found out something on himself.

 

The other day, they decided to go mountain hiking. Hakyeon really wanted Jaehwan to feel better and he knew something like this could help. Unconsciously, he also sees these moments with Jaehwan to be surely treasured and remembered.

 

When they reached the peek they lay on the grassy ground. Both gasping from air and tired they looked at the sky.

 

“It feels so nice hyung! We're so high!”

 

Hakyeon smiled upon hearing that.

 

“I told you. Let's take a rest for a while, hmm?”

 

Hakyeon stared at the blue sky. He feels so happy right now with Jaehwan. Although feeling this may not be right, he just wanted to cherish this for now.

 

After some time he looked at Jaehwan who is now sleeping peacefully beside him. He doesn't know what gotten into him that he get up and lean closer to Jaehwan's face. He is nervous. He is hesitating if he'll gonna do this or not. He was going to move away when...

 

 

 

 

Jaehwan suddenly grabbed his face and kissed him. He was left dumbfounded. To his shock, he pulled away and turned his face away. Hakyeon's face now in burning red, he can't look at his friend directly.

 

After that, the two guys don't know what to say. They feel so awkward talking. Until they parted ways, they didn't say anything even a single word.

 

The whole night Hakyeon kept remembering that memory and wondering why it happened. He wants to ask Jaehwan why but he can't find the courage. He also wanted to say sorry for that because he knows it’s his mistake too.

 

Days have passed but it looks like the two of them don't want to make a move. They haven't seen and contacted each other. Hakyeon feels so helpless right now.

 

That moment triggered them in this situation but it is also the moment he'll gonna remember for his whole life, Hakyeon thought.

 

When suddenly... he received a message from the person he has been thinking endlessly.

 

To: Hakyeon

Ya hyung! How have you been? I just wanna say I'm leaving for Australia tomorrow. I hope we can clear things between us before I leave.

From: Jaehwan

 

Hakyeon froze on that moment. He has been waiting for that message for like forever but he doesn't like the content of it.

 

He knew his feelings all along. He thought it was really impossible that Jaehwan also felt this way but that kiss gave him hope.

 

“Jaehwan's right. We must talk and clear things.”

 

Yet the fact remained that Jaehwan will soon leave. It pains him and cry himself to sleep.

 

That morning before Jaehwan's flight, Hakyeon met with his friend at the same place where they first met. He waits there holding the banana milk when Jaehwan came.

 

“Hyung, I am sorry.”

 

Hakyeon looked at Jaehwan's eyes. He saw sadness in there. It aches to see him like that, he thought.

 

“You don't have to be Jaehwan-ah. It is also my fault.”

 

Jaehwan's eyes lighted up a little.

 

“I'll be leaving in a few hours, hyung. But it can't be help, I want to tell you everything.”

 

Hakyeon felt nervousness over him. He wanted to hear it but he also doesn't want to know. That's why he kept himself shut.

 

“Hyung, I like you. I know it is wrong but you taught me to love again. You never left my side when I am very sad. I'm sorry if I took advantage over you there, but I didn't regret doing it.”

 

Emotions come rushing over Hakyeon but only few words he was able to say.

 

“Are... you confessing to me, Jaehwan-ah?”

 

It really looks like a dream to Hakyeon. Could this be really happening? His mind tells him.

 

“Isn't it obvious, hyung?”

 

Tears fall from Hakyeon's eyes. He just couldn't utter a single word. He was overwhelmed with what he just heard.

 

“Why are you crying, hyung? Do you hurt anywhere, hmm?”

 

Hakyeon smiled and hit Jaehwan's arm.

 

“You, crazy punk! I like you too. Tch! How could you?!?”

 

Jaehwan's eyes widen as he smiled.

 

“Do you? Hyung, you really do?”

 

Jaehwan pulled Hakyeon's hand. They hurriedly went outside and there Jaehwan hugged Hakyeon tight.

 

“I promise I'll be back for you hyung. Please promise to wait for me, hmm?”

 

With the suddenness of the moment, there's no words left to be spoken as they lips touched each other's again.

 

“I will Jaehwan-ah. I will.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------