Sᴄᴀɴᴅᴀʟ

Lᴏsᴛ ɪɴ Lɪᴇs

Life was a game, one that Lee Sungyeol thought he conquered. But he was wrong, extremely so. People would come to a conclusion that Sungyeol lived to please others, and that would be the reason as to why he has always defeated the final boss’ in this game called life. It was true, so true that Sungyeol became too used to winning that the idea of defeat never crossed his mind.

Until he saw the news that one night.

Rumors.

Whispers.

LIES. Or at least what he thought were lies.

Words written in bold, emphasizing the statement that was made. At that time he didn’t know how to feel, cry? How would crying help him get over this? But he still cried without knowing, his eyes fixed to the wide bright screen, rereading the highlighted red words over and over again. The tears overflow and the collar of his shirt is almost damp as he starts digesting the piece of information in front of him.

He didn’t want to admit, but he knew he was defeated. In this game called love there are many who give up, and others who simply lost, Lee Sungyeol was one of them.

But he just can’t give up, not when winning is what he’s used to.

∞~∞

“..Yeol,” The familiar voice he heard through the phone wasn’t steady whatsoever, struggling to speak. For a moment Sungyeol felt a small smile appear on his face, he liked what he was hearing, the sound of his lover—Or should he say ex?— struggling. He loved the way guilt laced his words, and he only felt his smile grow wider as the boy on the phone continued speaking. “Y-yeol ah I’m sorry, I’m really really sorry Sungyeol I really don’t kn- actually I-I just wanted to tell you that I really-.”  His voice stopped and instead Sungyeol heard muffled sobs and cries, and then a voice that he couldn’t recognize spoke and Sungyeol’s smile immediately turned into a frown.

“It’s okay, I’m sure he understands.”

And Sungyeol hung up.

 

Understand? Sungyeol completely understood the situation, but he didn’t like the rules of this one game, nor the fact that he lost. What annoyed him the most was the voice on the line with his ex, so calm and sweet, obviously standing up for the other and not even thinking about Sungyeol's feelings. He was curious to find out whom that voice belonged to; because a part of him was sure she was the one that started it all. He made his way to the bathroom and rinsed his face that was stained with tears. He felt fresh and anew, it didn't look like he was crying his heart out minutes ago, and this was how it should always be, he thought. He would never let anyone see his weak side.

After all, he is a winner.

∞~∞

Sungyeol didn’t like chaos or large crowds, as he progressed with his romantic relationship he grew to hate it even more. Dating a celebrity wasn't easy, especially when there were tons of people running after his 'other half'. But despite all of that, he began to get used to it as his occupation required him to attend a lot of parties and gatherings. And sometimes he just needed to be surrounded by people; there were moments when he craved for attention, wanting all eyes to land on him. He sat down at an empty table at a bar that he visited regularly, occasionally with his ex, however they tried as much as possible to stay away from the public eyes. 

He needed something strong. Something to make him forget. Something to ease the pain he felt in his heart. And he thought drinking was the perfect solution.

The waiter brought him his drink with a plate of side dishes, ones that Sungyeol really liked and craved for at times. He didn't eat a lot, but he loved food, which always made him think he was contradicting himself, but he wasn’t, because if he didn’t have to keep in shape he would probably be eating nonstop. 

The waiter that previously served him his bottle of soju came by with another one, and Sungyeol was sure he didn’t order another one. He looked at the guy curiously, and immediately received an answer.

“From the guy over there.” He said, pointing to a guy sitting alone in a table in the corner of the wide room. Sungyeol turned around to look at him and saw the guy nodding.

He came here to forget and ease the pain, and what’s better than having a companion at a time like this?

Sungyeol found himself standing up, bottle and cup in hand, heading over to the table where the guy was sitting. The guy looked like he would be around his age; Sungyeol also noted the fact that he looked extremely attractive in his plain white button up. His eyes met the stranger’s eyes which were reflecting the smile on his face, dark yet they still shone brightly with a hint of mischievousness. He nodded towards the empty seat in front of him and Sungyeol sat down without saying anything, awkwardness taking over him.

“I hope you don’t mind that I bought you a bottle.” He finally said, and Sungyeol indirectly watched him, concentrating on his lips that moved to form a different shape with each word, his ears focusing on the husky voice that came out of those heavenly lips. Unconsciously Sungyeol his lips, because maybe, tonight was going to end up well, maybe he’ll be able to forget his past relationship, and maybe the stranger caught his action— that, he didn’t want to think about at the moment.

“No, it’s alright.” Was all he let out, feeling embarrassed from what happened just seconds ago. He wanted to scrub his mind clean of all the dirty thoughts.

They sat in silence, occasionally pouring the drink for one another, and this wasn’t what Sungyeol expected at all. He decided to come here to have fun, so how did things end up like this? He finished his bottle of the colourless liquid, still not drunk enough to forget, even after his second bottle.  He looked up to find the other looking at him deeply, a tiny bit of worry evident, and then all this immediately disappeared as a smirk appeared on his lips.

“They’re pathetic aren’t they?” He asked, looking right into the depth of Sungyeol’s eyes, as if trying to take his soul away.

Sungyeol tried to ignore the stare he was receiving from the other and focused on listening to his words. That’s when he heard them again. The same whispers, the lies, the rumors he despised, however he wasn’t sure if that’s what he was talking about. “Who is?” Trying hard to control his anger he asked the guy sitting in front of him, brows furrowed.

“Listen to them Lee Sungyeol, it’s the hot topic right now. Everyone is talking about it. You broke up already, correct?” His smirk only grew wider, and Sungyeol became even more uncomfortable, shuffling in his seat.

“W-hat are you talki-“ He stopped out of nervousness, and then it hit him. I never introduced myself “Wait how did you know my name?”

The stranger moved to the edge of his seat, leaned in closer to Sungyeol who was on the other side of the table. “Well I am a journalist, specifically one that you should be aware of.” He took out a card from his pocket and slid it across the table to the other, “I look at those pictures everyday and I must say that your lover is a very lucky guy, it’s hard to find someone as good looking. But then you’re also lucky, not everyone gets to date a celebrity, a very attractive one at that.”

Ignoring the compliment Sungyeol was scared, he obviously didn’t want to say the wrong thing and end up in a pile of trouble, and he desperately tried remembering the things he learnt from his ex, act confused. He took the card from the table and tucked it in his pocket; he was going to read it later. He then put on his best confused face, trying to avoid any bad situations. He wanted to keep his job; no, he needed to keep it. “He’s- W-who are you talking about? And what pictures? You’re sounding slightly creepy you know. I don’t understand you.” ‘Slightly’, Sungyeol couldn’t believe that he actually said that, because this guy was quite the opposite.

The said journalist reached to his front pocket and pulled out his phone, and Sungyeol nervously waited for his next action. After finding what he wanted, his smirk turning into a mischievous grin, and for a moment Sungyeol reminded himself of how attractive this guy was.

He slid the phone across to Sungyeol, who picked it up and—

No way.

∞~∞

“This is just one guy; don’t you think there’s more?” Sungyeol sounded nervous, his nerves hadn’t calmed down since he saw the picture.

The voice on the other line wasn’t clear, but he was still able to make out the words “Sungyeol calm down, what happened?”

“They have pictures of us together” Sungyeol swallowed uneasily and continued, tears starting to well up in his eyes,

“I don’t know what to do,” his voice croaked and the tears stung his eyes, “Myungsoo I’m scared.”

And that was how he ultimately admitted defeat.

∞~∞

 

I wrote and wrote and wrote and tried. I'm sorry if I dissappointed you, but I'm planning to keep some of the details for later~ I won't reveal everything now. I'm never satisfied with my own writing so yeah ;~;

Hope you like it? And thank you for subscribing and commenting, like really it means a lot to me <3 c':

I hope I didn't make you disappear with this.