look deeper

 

 

Jongin is Kyungsoo's best friend, but Kyungsoo is Jongin's crush. Jongin has been in love with Kyungsoo for some time, but because of their friendship he never took the chance and confessed to him. But when he sees Kyungsoo cry because of something his boyfriend Chanyeol has done, more often than he hears all the good things that they have done together, he starts to rethink his decision about not ever telling Kyungsoo.

 

 

 

 

“Kyungsoo! Wait!” Jongin’s voice rang down the hallway. His teacher had kept his class on the rack until the last second. They were to go by the rules and to keep going with the teaching until class was over, and not even half a second earlier. So there he was, jogging to catch up with his crush best friend who had been out of the classroom at the speed of light.

"Don't! Jongin, please not now," Kyungsoo said as Jongin caught up to him and laid a hand on his shoulder. Kyungsoo sounded like he was on the verge of crying, and Jongin did not like it at all. He hated seeing Kyungsoo sad, which was mostly because of the fact that he connected it being because of bad news about Chanyeol. Jongin was about to come with a rude comment about it, but that would only hurt Kyungsoo more, so he kept his mouth shut and let his hand fall down to his side instead.

"Is something up?" Jongin asked when they got to the cafeteria. The answer to his question was the last degree to his already boiling anger. It had reached the point where the steam was about to come out of his ears.

"Chanyeol cheated on me." Kyungsoo finally let his guard down, and it was almost too easy to see his current emotional state. He was heartbroken to put it lightly, and Jongin may have freaked out just a little bit for a few seconds there. His mind went straight to the thought about killing that bastard for hurting his dear, too-kind-for-his-own-good, Kyungsoo. But he figured that was not the way to do it, so he sat down in the spot beside Kyungsoo and pulled him into a hug. The only thing to do at the moment was to comfort the poor boy. And maybe use the chance to get him to break up with that tard of a boyfriend.

"What are you going to do about it?" Jongin pulled back a little, not letting go but just enough to look at Kyungsoo's face to see his reaction. His heart tightened in his chest at the look on his best friend's face. His face was painted with tear streaks, his eyes red and nose running, easily giving away that he had been crying even though he had probabøy been trying to hide it.

"I don't know..." Kyungsoo answered when he had managed to get his voice working again. Kyungsoo was at a total loss for what to do, and as the honest person Jongin was, he decided to tell Kyungsoo exactly what he thought should be done.

"Do you think you could forgive him?" Jongin asked seriously. Kyungsoo bit his lip in thought, and after a few seconds shook his head. "Then I suggest you end the game. I'm going to be honest with you and tell you what I think, okay?" This earned him a nod, a sign to go on. "He has had his fair share of chances. He never remembers any of your anniversaries, barely takes the time to buy you flowers on valentines, and when he catches you being in a bad mood or something, he just buys you expensive gifts, expecting the gesture to make up for everything. But I see you every day, and I am the one who know you more than you do, and you think you are happy about it, but I see that you're not." It felt good to get it out. Even though it was not the whole truth, he told the most important things; the ones who had bothered him the most.

Kyungsoo's face was blank, and Jongin was slowly starting to doubt his decision about telling all this. Had he gone too far? What if Kyungsoo really loved that tall ? What if Jongin never stood a chance at all against a bastard who thought even feelings could be bought? Not that Jongin really had a chance with Kyungsoo from the beginning though... But losing Kyungsoo to such a douch was not on his 100 things to do before I die list.

"You know what?" Kyungsoo suddenly sounded very determined. Like the fact that he had been cheated on was just a small problem that a girl on her period thought was the end of the world, but in fact was just her sandwich missing a slice of ham. "I think I'll do just that. Thank you, Jongin. I knew I could always count on you." And with those words and Kyungsoo's beautiful smile back on his face (though it looked a little pathetic, seeing as his cheeks still had traces of fresh tears and his eyes were bloodshot), Jongin was as happy as he could get.

"Why are you smiling like an idiot?" Jongin quickly fixed his expression, replacing the smile with confusion.

"Am I smiling like an idiot?" At Jongin's act of total unawareness and innocence Kyungsoo laughed. Jongin did not really understand why, but things were happening in his favor for once, and quicker than the smile changed to confusion, the smile was back.

 

 

 

 

"We're done."

"Excuse me? Can you repeat that?" The look on Chanyeol's face was priceless, and it took everything Jongin had not to burst out laughing like a maniac.

"I'm breaking up with you. You're not worth my tears and I'm so ing tired of your bull and money and you're just a show-off wanting nothing more than status, popularity and a hole to stick your in. And to add on to my last point: this is to find for your dirty so-called ." Chanyeol was speechless, much to Jongin's amusement. This was the best day of his life so far. "Now, please have me excused. I have a life to live." And with that, Kyungsoo had officially humiliated the life out of Chanyeol, and walked away with his head held high, arm in arm with a very pleased Jongin.

Out of sight, and in a bit more private part of the school, Jongin let his laugh out. He was sure he sounded like a madman, judging by the look Kyungsoo gave him, but he could not care less at that moment. It felt to good to see his best friend (and long-time crush) beat Chanyeol down so hard with words that he would be so ashamed to not show up at school for a few days.

"Are you quite fine?" Kyungsoo sounded genuinely worried, but Jongin couldn't even stop laughing to assure Kyungsoo that everything was perfectly fine, so he ended up nodding instead. It was not very convincing but it was the best he could do at the moment.

Kyungsoo waited patiently for the younger to get his act together again. When the laughter had died down and Jongin was left drying away the tears from laughing so hard, Kyungsoo asked what was so funny.

"Did you see the look on his face? You really showed him where his place in this world is," Jongin said, still with a huge grin plastered on his face.

"I have to agree that it priceless," Kyungsoo said with an equally wide grin. "But can I ask you something?"

"Sure." Jongin starts walking down the hallway without any particular place in mind to end up at; Kyungsoo right at his side. (Not holding hands this time though, much to Jongin's disapointment.)

"Be one-hundred percent honest with me. What are your feelings towards me?" That caught Jongin off guard. The blood was slowly drained from his face. What was he supposed to tell him? Straight out tell him that you've been my crush for as long as I rememeber? No. No, that would be too risky. Their friendship could end, or what was worse (in Jongin's opinion at least), it would get really awkward between them.

"What do you mean? Like, I really admire you. You're my best friend after all." It stung to say that, but what else could he say?

"Is that all I am to you? Because I'm getting the feel that there is more behind your actions and words than you're letting me know," Kyungsoo says as he stops and grabs Jongin's wrist, preventing him from walking any further. Jongin is quiet. Not a word escaping his mouth. He is too afraid of saying the wrong things, and his solution to the problem is just to shut up, and let Kyungsoo do the talking. Waiting until he knows what is safe to say.

Kyungsoo sighs and lets go of Jongin's wrist. "Look, I'm telling you to be honest with me, but you still don't spill your secrets, so I'll let you know mine first, okay? But you have to promise me you will tell me what's on your heart afterwards." Kyungsoo sounds like he is done with bull. Not only from Chanyeol, but from everyone. Including Jongin. "I dated Chanyeol because I was trying make you jealous. I didn't have the guts to say it as it was at that time, but I am on a high of confidence and bravery right now, so I want to tell you before I chicken out again."Kyungsoo takes a deep breath. Like the next thing he was going to say was harder for him the get out. "I love you, Jongin. I have always wanted you to be my boyfriend, to be yours. But as the coward I am, I have not had the guts to tell you before now. 

"After that bastard ed up my life, and when you did not take action, did not do a damn , I lost hope. I thought that maybe you didn't like me back, because I swear you liked me at least a little more than just a friend at the start of this. But my insecurities got me, and the times I have cried was not because of Chanyeol, but because you did not see me trying to get to you." At this point Kyungsoo had started crying, and Jongin just couldn't bear it. Everything was his fault. Had he really been that blind?

Kyungsoo did not say anything more. He was crying too much, but his crying slowly faded away when Jongin started kissing the tears away.

"I'm sorry," he whispered in Kyungsoo's ear as he wrapped the older in a tight and comforting hug. "Really. I'm so ing blind and stupid, but I want you to know that I love you too. I always have. But I thought that you loved him, and all I wanted was for you to be happy and I didn't want to ruin our friendship and I swear I was about to kill him more than once but that wou-" His rant was cut short when a pair of soft, plump lips met his own. It didn't last long, but Jongin flet all the weight on his shoulder be lifted off, and judging by way Kyungsoo let out a content sigh, the feeling was mutual.

"Just shut up about that, will you? I wanna go show you off to that and his gang. I wanna show them that money isn't everything in this world, and by my standards: love cannot be bought with money, but with feelings." 

Finally, I'm gonna show him who the real deal is, and what a real man looks like!

 

 

 

 

 

yeah... moral of the story? you interpret that how you want
first exo-fic, first oneshot/drabble and second posted story on aff
sorry if it and for any misspellings and mistakes not proofread yet ssh
hope to see you around later and thanks for taking your time to read this

-ee