final

explore you
Soonkyu walked to the edge of the woods, her shoes scuffing against the gravel beneath. She hummed a quiet tune under her breath as she placed foot after foot forward. 
 
"I wanna learn and experience everything in this world!" 
 
That had been her favourite sentence since young, and nothing had changed one bit. Soonkyu still tended to explore everything that seemed mysterious to her--be it a rundown building, or a wide football field. 
 
Exploring was something Soonkyu was sure that she would not grow old of--and she was not wrong. So many years down the road and she still explored things like she did so long ago, always leaving absolutely no stone unturned. 
 
#
 
It had been around seventh grade when Soonkyu had started feeling the strange urge to explore different things--she'd explored places, time, objects. But there was still one thing that Soonkyu had failed to explore. 
 
And that was: people.
 
 
She was mysterious. Exactly the type that Soonkyu loved to find out more about.
 
She was quiet, softspoken and seemingly gentle. But she didn't open up easily. Soonkyu still remembered their first meeting.
 
Soonkyu had been interested in her because of her wide, but a little dark eyes. Her long, dark hair that framed her tiny face and brought out her prominent cheekbones. 
 
Soonkyu had been twelve, and it was during one of those free periods after end of year exams. 
 
"Hey, I'm Soonkyu. What's your name?" Soonkyu stuck out a hand, her eyes curving into crescents as she smiled.
 
In a quiet and timid voice, the girl replied, "I'm...Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon." 
 
"Nice to meet you, Taeng. Can I call you that?" Soonkyu asked, grinning.
 
Taeyeon gave a tiny nod. 
 
"So Taeng, wanna play cards?" 
 
 
A few years passed and Soonkyu felt more and more curious about Taeyeon, so she started questioning Taeyeon more.
 
"What's your favourite color?" 
 
"When's your birthday?"
 
"What's your horoscope?" 
 
"Where'd you stay?" 
 
"What do you like?" 
 
Slowly, Soonkyu learnt a lot about Taeyeon and Taeyeon grew closer to Soonkyu. 
 
#
 
They were sixteen. 
 
A bully had recently joined the school. 
 
Taecyeon liked to go for the timid and weak-looking ones, and because of Taeyeon's height, she already looked unnaturally tiny. Adding to her personality, she was just the kind that Taecyeon enjoyed patronizing.
 
Soonkyu hadn't been much bigger at that time, but she had felt the need to protect Taeyeon. 
 
So that's what she did.
 
When Taecyeon walked over to Taeyeon's table and ripped her book into half, Soonkyu got up immediately and gave him a black eye. He was the kind of person that she did not even bother trying to explore--because what they had inside was already too rotten. 
 
Yes, Soonkyu was given detention after that, but she realised that it was worth it.
 
#
 
The years passed and Soonkyu and Taeyeon became inseparable. 
 
 
When they were eighteen, Soonkyu started feeling a little curious to why she wanted to see Taeyeon more, and why she felt that Taeyeon was the most beautiful thing on earth. 
 
She wanted to explore why every time Taeyeon got close to her, she'd blush like crazy. Or when Taeyeon had accidentally tripped her and caught her, her breathing had quickened. That was something to be explored, but Soonkyu had no idea how to find out by herself.
 
So she did the next best thing.
 
She asked Taeyeon.
 
#
 
"Taeng," 
 
"Hm?" Taeyeon looked up from the book she was reading and set it away.
 
When Soonkyu had joined her life six years ago, the darkness in her eyes had lifted, only to be replaced by a warm and slightly glowing light.
 
"Why do I think you're beautiful?" Soonkyu asked quietly, walking toward Taeyeon.
 
"I don't know." 
 
"Why does my heartbeat quicken when I'm with you?" Soonkyu asked again, slightly frustrated with the lack of answers coming from Taeyeon.
 
"Why do I want to see you more nowadays?" 
 
"Why is it that every night before I go to bed, I think of your smile, and have the best dreams ever?" 
 
Soonkyu's confused, and so is Taeyeon.
 
#
 
The next day, Soonkyu stays over at Taeyeon's for another weekly sleepover.
 
This time, she crosses the room and feels the bed slowly dip with her weight as she joined Taeyeon.
 
"Taeng," she called.
 
"Yeah?" 
 
"Y'know...when you explore things...once you finish finding out everything...doesn't it seem less interesting and more boring to you?" Soonkyu asked uncertainly. 
 
She knew Taeyeon like the back of her hand and could always read her like a book. If Taeyeon put on a smile although she was sad deep down, Soonkyu knew. If Taeyeon tried to look angry with Soonkyu after a small immature fight, Soonkyu would know that she didn't really mean it. 
 
"Yeah. I get really bored with whatever thing it is," Taeyeon agreed.
 
"Well..." Soonkyu looked up, moving a little closer to Taeyeon.
 
"Then why don't I get bored of you? And why don't you get bored of me?" Soonkyu was curious.
 
Taeyeon pursed her lips, thinking for awhile, before she hooked a finger under Soonkyu's chin, tilting the latter's head up.
 
"I don't know. Soonkyu, I'll never grow bored of you," Taeyeon muttered, "Can you promise me something, though?" Taeyeon leant in, and it might've been silly but she thought that Soonkyu smelt of cinnamon. 
 
"What?" Soonkyu's voice was hardly audible because by that time Taeyeon was practically breathing onto Soonkyu. Her warm breath tainted Soonkyu's cheeks and caused Soonkyu's heart to pound in her chest. 
 
"Can you never grow bored of me, too?" Taeyeon muttered, gently brushing her lips against Soonkyu's. 
 
It was brief, but it sent vivid colors through Soonkyu's mind and all of a sudden, Taeyeon was the only person that mattered in Soonkyu's life. It was just...all Taeyeon. Her fingers caused tingles to run up and down Soonkyu's arm where Taeyeon was clutching, afraid that Soonkyu would call her a freak and run away. 
 
Taeyeon's eyes were filled with worry and apprehension, but Soonkyu was planning to dismiss any kind of negative feeling. 
 
Soonkyu caught her breath and swallowed before saying, "it's a promise." 
 
Then she leant closer and pressed her lips against Taeyeon's cheek before saying breathlessly, "I'll never grow bored of you." 
 
Then she kissed Taeyeon's jaw lightly, arms coming up to pull Taeyeon closer. 
 
"And I'll just keep exploring you." 
 
#
 
Fin.
 
AN: ahaha this may just (and it's really short) but it was written quickly and I just needed to get it off my mind so ^^