Stained

White Keys

**White Keys**

 

Kyuhyun has a love of many things. The smell of freshly brewed coffees and teas he knows so well. Peaceful mornings where the sun shone brightly. The soft, beautiful sound that came from the piano he adored playing. Most of all, though, he loves the moments spent with his beloved Hyukjae.

 

Kyuhyun sat, letting his fingers bring about gentle notes that pulled a dreamy smile from Hyukjae who lay on the bed, taking in the perfection surrounding him. The gentle rays of sunshine sprinkled the white sheets and Kyuhyun’s angelic face and gave the moment an ethereal feeling; mornings like this were always the best to Hyukjae. He stood up and walked to the piano where Kyuhyun played—eyes closed, completely lost in his music—and leaned down to hug him gently from behind. Kyuhyun let a smile form across his face at the familiar felling, playing still, even as a soft kiss was planted beneath his ear. A slight blush tinted his cheeks and he finished his song, preparing to stand, only to be pulled up and into Hyukjae’s warm embrace. Their hands immediately found one another’s and fingers interlaced. Hyukjae rested his forehead against Kyuhyun’s as he hugged him close and whispered.

 

“Beautiful.”

 

“I play that for you all the time—“

 

“I was talking about you.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed, used to Hyukjae’s cheesiness by now and leaned forward to press a peck against his lips.

The two said no more as they parted, preparing to go about their morning as usual. They washed and dressed themselves, bundled up to go to their daily destination—Kyuhyun’s friend, Yesung’s café. Kyuhyun held Hyukjae’s hand tightly as they went along, walking in a comfortable silence as they approached the shop.

Upon entering, the two were immediately greeted by Yesung who smiled warmly at them both before going back to tending to his customers. Kyuhyun pecked Hyukjae’s cheek before walking away to take his place at the white grand piano Yesung had in front of the large windows in front of his shop. Hyukjae smiled fondly at Kyuhyun as he heard the beautiful music begin to effortlessly stream from the piano, sitting down at the table nearest to him. Yesung kindly brought him his usual tea and went back to work.

And that was it.

For Kyuhyun and Hyukjae, mornings were simple and routine, but never mundane. They adored them. They would come to Yesung’s café where Kyuhyun would kindly play for the customers, undoubtedly bringing a smile to each of their faces, and Hyukjae would watch him, completely enthralled.

Every time Kyuhyun would play, a delicate smile would grace his face as he remembered all the moments that built up to his perfect life. He remembered everything like a perfect dream he cherished.

x-x-X-x-x

It was only three months ago that Kyuhyun grinned with joy as he watched his best friend, Yesung’s dream of opening a café come to fruition. As a gift to Kyuhyun for all of his support, Yesung had a large grand piano placed inside. He knew of his friend’s love of playing the instrument and offered Kyuhyun to play there every morning. Kyuhyun agreed without hesitation.

Every morning, he’d happily play the piano and help serve customers with Yesung. He was content with the amount of attention he got from appreciative customers as well. It wasn’t until a week after the shop opened that he realized the impact he had on one customer in particular.

While saying goodbye to Yesung one day, Kyuhyun couldn’t help but notice an envelope resting on the piano. He opened it curiously to find a short note written in neat handwriting.

 

“Beautiful playing. Even more beautiful face. I look forward to experiencing both again.”

 

Kyuhyun blushed slightly, folding the note back and slipping it in his coat pocket before leaving in a hurry. He was extremely flattered and looked forward to what the next day would hold.

The next morning, he noticed another note as he was leaving and smiled to himself as he read it.

 

“You’re like an angel, you know. Truly perfect.”

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes to himself at the cheesiness, but only to hide the fact that his heart was racing.

The week went on and each day, there was a different letter, written neatly and placed in plain sight on the grand piano.

 

“My god, where did you learn to play and steal hearts like that?”

 

“The only thing that is more beautiful than your music is your sweet face.”

 

“I wish you could smile at me the way you smile while you play.”

 

The letters continued for weeks, and after each one, Kyuhyun could feel himself grinning wider and wider. He kept them all, reading them over and over and imagining the mystery person behind them.

What did they look like? Were they as sweet in person as they were in their notes?

The curiosity was killing him. Each day at the café, whenever he was away from the piano, he would watch it secretly like a hawk, waiting for people to pass—waiting to catch a glimpse of the mystery person. He even asked Yesung to do the same. He never got a glance though. But after three weeks of receiving letters, it finally happened. Eagerly opening one day’s letter as he had been accustomed to for weeks, Kyuhyun’s heart beat nearly out of his chest as he read what was written.

 

“My name is Hyukjae. I hope I’m not out of line asking this of you, but please, call me? Even if it’s just once, I’ll be grateful.”

 

The bottom of the letter was adorned with a phone number.

Kyuhyun hurriedly folded the note into his pocket and walked home, mind racing. He was going to get to talk to his mystery admirer.

The mystery admirer he was falling for.

He choked at the thought, fumbling with his keys to get into his house. He breathed heavily as he threw himself back on his bead, staring at the ceiling.

What if the guy is weird? What if he’s boring? What if the two of them just don’t click?

Kyuhyun shook his head. Of course the guy would be wonderful. How could he not be?

He closed his eyes and lifted his phone up, retrieving the note from his pocket. His fingers shook nervously as he dialed the number into his cell phone, checking that he had the number right several times.

A deep inhale and then a deep exhale. Then suddenly he could hear ringing on the other end.

“Hello?”

 

Kyuhyun’s heart stopped. He forgot how to breathe and speak all at once.

 

“…Hello?”

 

“Hello… Hyukjae-ssi?”

 

The voice on the other end let out a soft laugh.

 

“No need to be so formal. Goodness, even your voice is beautiful…”

 

Kyuhyun flushed slightly, taken aback. “Ah… thank you. My name is Kyuhyun by the way.”

 

“Kyuhyun? Well, it’s nice to finally talk to you Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun gulped inaudibly and nodded to himself. “You too. I really like the letters you leave me every day. They’re really sweet.”

 

“Really? I’m glad you enjoyed them. I hope I wasn’t too cheesy…”

 

“Not at all”, Kyuhyun chuckled, becoming more comfortable. “They were nice. Why didn’t you just come talk to me though?”

 

“It seemed more romantic this way.”

 

Kyuhyun blushed slightly and sighed. This guy seemed perfect. “You should talk to me in person… when you get the time?”

 

It was quiet on the other end for a moment and Kyuhyun’s heart pounded. “Okay. Would you mind if I talked to you in person at the café as opposed to leaving a letter?”

 

Kyuhyun could hear the smile in the other’s voice as he nodded eagerly to himself. “Of course not. I’d love that.”

 

“Really? I will then. Don’t stand me up, okay?”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled. “Don’t worry, I won’t. I look forward to it.”

 

“Good. In that case, I’ll see you tomorrow, Kyuhyun.”

 

“Bye.”

 

For Kyuhyun, the next day couldn’t come fast enough.

So when it did, he was completely on edge as he helped Yesung clean and serve tables. He kept glancing back at the piano and then to the clock, waiting for the time when he usually left. He was sure Hyukjae knew what time that was, seeing as the letter always appeared on time. After several minutes had passed, Kyuhyun paced back to the piano, looking for an apology note or perhaps just another ordinary letter. He was crouching down on the ground, checking to make sure there wasn’t a note he’d missed because it fell on the floor, when he saw two shoes appear beside the piano. He looked up to see a brightly smiling young man.

 

“Hyukjae…?”, Kyuhyun wondered to himself out loud.

 

The guy nodded and smiled wider. “Nice to finally meet you, Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhuyun stared up at Hyukjae for a moment before standing up quickly, and nodding. “You too.”

 

The first thing Kyuhyun noticed about Hyukjae was that he wasn’t exactly as demure as he’d imagined him to be. He seemed really laid back and easy going. His smile was big, his face was pretty, and he was just slightly shorter than himself. It wasn’t until Hyukjae held out his hand for him to take that Kyuhyun realized he’d been staring for a little while. He shook his head, embarrassed and grabbed Hyukjae’s hand before being led out of the café by the other.

 

“I’m really curious… how did you get the letters on the piano without me ever seeing you?”

 

Not long after leaving the shop, the two found themselves leisurely strolling around in the general direction of Kyuhyun’s house. Neither was really leading the other, but both had been so busy talking and stealing glances at the other that they were just walking aimlessly.

 

“I had Yesung put them there for me.”

 

They told each other about what they each did for a living; Hyukjae being a university student and Kyuhyun just coaxing by, days filled with nothing in particular. They talked a little about their families and hobbies; Hyukjae enjoyed reading a lot, taking Kyuhyun a bit by surprise—he didn’t really look like the type—and he also enjoyed dancing.

 

“You know Yesung?”

 

Kyuhyun swung their hands slightly, completely lost in his conversation with Hyukjae and forgetting that this was their first time meeting really. He’d been smiling the whole time, just enjoying their tiny outing.

 

“Yeah, he’s an old friend actually.”

 

Soon the two had unknowingly reached Kyuhyun’s house, albeit it took them a little over two hours to finally find their way there. Hyukjae was extremely casual with Kyuhyun, not leaving him at door but instead, asking to hang out with him a little longer. Kyuhyun grinned and agreed without a second thought, letting him inside.

Hours passed where they’d been sitting and talking about any and everything. It was as if they’d known each other for a while. The two laughed and joked, paying no attention to the hours that continued to go by and somehow, by the late evening, Hyukjae had Kyuhyun pinned to a wall.

That was how it started. And that’s how it continued to go from there. After that day, the two saw each other every day.

There was the café.

Then the walk home.

Then the bed.

Or maybe the shower.

Each day, Kyuhyun fell harder and harder for Hyukjae. And Hyukjae for Kyuhyun. They saw each other regularly until they lived together even.

After just two short months, between quieted panting and groaning, through chaste, needy kisses, three short words were whispered hopefully that made Kyuhyun melt.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too, Hyukjae.”

And not long after that, Hyukjae asked Kyuhyun to be his. Kyuhyun agreed without the slightest hesitation.

Days, for them, were filled with nothing but smiles and laughter.

Love and gratefulness.

 

“I love you more than anything in the world, Hyukjae.”

 

They never got bored of one another.

 

“I love you more with every second, Kyuhyun.”

 

Their love only continued to grow…

 

“I need you in my life. Kyuhyun… please, never leave my side.”

 

And they only continued to find ever imaginative ways of proving it to one another.

 

“I will always be by your side, Hyukjae. Always.”

x-x-X-x-x

Kyuhyun finished helping Yesung clear tables and waved goodbye to his friend before returning to where Hyukjae sat at his usual table, smiling. The two linked arms, waved a last time, and headed on their way home. They chatted like usual and as they arrived at their home, Hyukjae sighed.

“Hey, Kyu. I’ve been meaning to mention this for a while now…”

Kyuhyun looked at him slightly worried as they walked inside. “What is it?”

“I’ll be taking more classes at the university starting tomorrow… I won’t be here when you wake up in the mornings anymore.”

Kyuhyun frowned and walked to their bedroom, throwing himself back on the bed. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

Hyukjae followed suit, doing exactly the same thing, lying beside him. “I was trying to find a way to change it. I wasn’t able to though…”

Both let out sighs. They could hardly stand being away from each other, and now the perfect mornings they loved were going to be spent apart.

Hyukjae looked at Kyuhyun who had his eyes closed, looking sad and pulled his arm gently until he was lying beneath the younger.

He smiled softly and cooed lovingly at Kyuhyun. “It’ll be okay. We’ll still have plenty of time together…”

Kyuhyun sighed again but was cut off by a short kiss against his lips.

“Don’t worry.”

For both, morning came too soon.

It was just as Hyukjae said. When Kyuhyun woke up, he wasn’t lying beside him in bed.

That morning went by painfully slow. Kyuhyun went to the café by himself and played piano and helped out like usual, all the while missing Hyukjae’s gentle glances and small talk.

The two saw each other at home though, and Kyuhyun was happy again. They still had the afternoon to themselves, just enjoying one another’s company.

For a while.

Months passed and slowly, Kyuhyun started to notice little changes.

He and Hyukjae didn’t spend as much time showing affection, and when they did, it was less frequently than he was used to.

Hyukjae also became distant. Cold even.

Conversations weren’t the same anymore. Kyuhyun would force himself to talk to Hyukjae who always seemed bored or disinterested.

Even on days where Hyukjae didn’t have classes in the morning, he opted not to go to the café with Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun began getting worried, but each time he confronted Hyukjae, it was brushed off.

It wasn’t until one day, when Hyukjae did decide to come to the café with Kyuhyun that a note was left on the piano again. While getting ready to leave, Kyuhyun spotted it and smiled, going to read it. He grinned to himself and glanced up at Hyukjae, whose expression was uncharacteristically vacant, before reading the note.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Kyuhyun’s smile melted away and he looked back up at Hyukjae who was now standing before him.

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

Hyukjae nodded, leaning forward to kiss Kyuhyun’s forehead gently. “Yes. Kyuhyun, I’ve found someone else.”

 

Kyuhyun’s heart sank. It plummeted out of existence. He couldn’t speak. He couldn’t think. His first instinct was to scream, but he stayed silent. His world crumbled around him in an instant. He stared into Hyukjae’s serious eyes in disbelief.

 

“What?”

 

“You and I… I’m sorry.”

 

Everything went blank.

The walk home was a blur. Kyuhyun hardly registered Hyukjae gathering all of his belongings from the house they shared, watching his figure move about the house in silence.

So many questions floated around Kyuhyun’s head. No voice came out of him though. He could hardly muster a whisper.

 

“Don’t you love me…?”, he whispered almost inaudibly into the air.

 

Hyukjae, who had finished collecting his things, turned to him and placed his hands on his shoulders. “I do…”

 

“Then you and I should be together.”

 

“It’s not that simple.”

 

“Then explain to me what’s not simple about that.”, Kyuhyun said, his voice shaking slightly.

 

He could feel the lump forming in his throat but he fought back. Kyuhyun never cried.

 

Hyukjae only sighed and patted Kyuhyun gently before parting to grab his bags. He looked back at Kyuhyun—frozen and staring back like a statue—before leaving the house without another word.

Kyuhyun was in shock. The only thing he could register was the heavy feeling in his body and the lump in his throat. He stared for a long time at the spot where Hyukjae last stood in their house.

The house that was, once again, his alone.

Days went by and all Kyuhyun could do was stare blankly at the piano beside his bed. The mornings seemed dull. Each was spent playing over in his mind all of the times he and Hyukjae had together.

It hurt.

Weeks went by and eventually, Kyuhyun stopped going to the café altogether. The only reason he’d had the drive to continue to was because he’d hoped to see Hyukjae there. He never showed up.

It stung.

All Kyuhyun ever did was sit in various spots of his house, staring off blankly. He didn’t want to talk to anyone or see anyone. He didn’t want to do anything.

Every day he woke up and fell asleep to the realization that his everything was gone. He had nothing.

A month passed. He was losing himself.

All he could do to stay sane was re-read the old letters and texts from Hyukjae but it only drove him crazier.

He felt himself slipping away. Wanting to see Hyukjae again. He knew where he stayed before they lived together, but what if he visited and the “other person” was there?

No.

He wouldn’t be able to take it.

Even now, he couldn’t take it. Images of his Hyukjae with someone else passed through his head. He couldn’t think straight.

Each day was hell. Absolute hell.

How was he even surviving?

He felt so alone. So lost.

For months, he had poured his soul into Hyukjae and their love. He was madly in love with him. He though Hyukjae loved him the same.

It tore him apart.

Kyuhyun began to convince himself that it was his own fault after so long. He began to think he failed. He failed to show Hyukjae how much he loved and cared for him. Or maybe he asked for too much. He didn’t know. He couldn’t understand.

Two months passed. Finally, Kyuhyun woke up with some hint of hope. He’d been in nothing but darkness inside himself for too long. He prepared himself and went to Yesung’s café and greeted his friend that he’d been neglecting like they hadn’t seen one another in forever. It felt like forever. Sitting down at the large, white grand piano, he began to play, smiling down at the keys that he hadn’t touched in so long. Even in his own home, he dared not play. It only reminded him of Hyukjae. But right now, for this moment, he finally found himself content. Kyuhyun smiled to himself slightly and continued the morning helping Yesung out with customers, playing again every now and then. By the time it was time for him to leave, Kyuhyun was smiling widely, talking to Yesung as carefree as he used to. Waving goodbye to his friend, he stepped outside of the café, letting the chilly wind hit his face. It was a pretty nice day, and Kyuhyun continued to smile to himself as he began taking his first steps home until something stopped him dead in his tracks.

Just across from the café, there was a park. And there, he saw a familiar figure he hadn’t seen but in pictures for the last 2 months.

 

“Hyukjae…”, he whispered, star -struck to himself.

 

It was definitely Hyukjae. And beside him, another person.

Kyuhyun held his breath.

Hyukjae was smiling warmly at the person in a way he himself had been smiled at countless times.

Kyuhyun’s heart sank.

The person beside Hyukjae leaned toward him and kissed his lips.

Kyuhyun’s heart shattered.

He felt the lump forming in his throat and tore his eyes away from the scene, walking home with his mind on fire.

Nothing but memories of him and Hyukjae together occupied his head.

The thought of him being with someone else was sickening. To see it, though. Kyuhyun wanted to throw up. He wanted to throw up his entire existence.

He wanted to give up. He couldn’t go on.

He didn’t even realize he’d made his way inside his house until he was blindly holding Hyukjae’s old letters in his hands. He stared at them, his mind in hysterics as memories flashed through.

 

“I love you, Kyuhyun.”

 

Liar.

 

“You are my most perfect angel.”

 

Liar.

 

“I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

 

Liar.

 

“I don’t need anyone else. I have you.”

 

Liar.

 

“I need you in my life. Kyuhyun… please, never leave my side.”

 

“You liar.”

 

Kyuhyun tore the letters in half, his heart racing as pain wracked through his entire body.

A framed picture of the two of them stood atop the piano.

All of their loving, intimate moments flashed through his mind. How they used to hold hands. How they used to cuddle together on boring nights. How sweetly Hyukjae would kiss his lips. How gently they touched one another’s bodies as if they were treasure in both of their eyes. The way it felt when they were one.

Kyuhyun swiped the picture to the floor without thinking. The glass shattered and he winced slightly as he looked down.

He looked at the piano before him and saw all of the mornings, afternoons, and nights that he spent playing for his dreamy-eyed Hyukjae—carrying him away with his melodies. Lulling him peacefully with each note.

He hated it.

Why did Hyukjae have such a hold on his heart?

It’d been months.

Why couldn’t he forget?

Why?

Suddenly, he couldn’t take anymore.

With all his might, he slammed his hands down on the piano keys, creating a loud resounding echo throughout his house that was as chaotic as the thoughts of love, longing, jealousy and hatred that were bursting through his mind all at once.

Tears stained the white keys beneath his hung head. He slumped down slowly, his body shaking as he cried.

On either side of him were the shards of glass from the broken frame and a fragment of his latest letter with only the “sorry” visible.

Kyuhyun could only continue to cry.

 

“You’re not sorry… If you love me… why did you leave me?”

 

Kyuhyun never cried.

 

But for the rest of the night, he stayed slumped beside his piano, unable to filter thoughts of his once beloved Hyukjae from his mind as he let tears stream endlessly down his angelic face.

He replayed their good times together over and over like a movie. A movie that he knew the ending to.

Kyuhyun hated it. He hated the pain and the tears and feeling like he was lied to and disposed of.

His heart ached in what seemed like endless pain. All those months—wasted. He still couldn’t understand.

After who knows how many hours, he was just staring off into nothing. He could feel that it was late, but he didn’t have the energy to get into his bed.

He wanted to wake up and have the last few months have been a dream. Or he wanted to go to sleep and never wake up. He closed his eyes and wished for a second chance.

A second chance he knew would never come, but a second chance he hoped he’d get. Maybe even if it were in another life, he’d be satisfied.

 

“Please Hyukjae… please…”

 

His voice was barely a whisper, his throat being sore from all the crying.

 

“Please don’t leave me like this. You said you loved me…”

 

Slowly, Kyuhyun began to nod off before soft noises inside his house caught his barely-there attention.

He didn’t bother even opening his eyes until, suddenly, his bedroom light came on to reveal someone in the doorway.

 

“Kyu…”

 

“Hyukjae?”

 


Done~ I really hope you liked it.

And to all my subscribers, I'm sorry it's not KyuHae OTL