Simple Beginnings From a New Mind

Trains and Taxis

Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring.

 

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

 

 

Everything fell into each other. Tick-tock slurred into a whirr. Pitter-patter sped into a hum. Baekhyun played with the drops gently knocking against the other side of the glass, pressing his fingers on the sky’s teardrop and lightly following it as it ran down the foggy surface. A small sigh escaped his worry bitten lips, forming a childish cloud on the cold window. He traced a love heart with his pinky and smiled. A boy today, by the name of Park Chanyeol, tall, handsome, bright-eyed, had confessed his love to Baekhyun, right there, in the middle of the hallway. Although some guilt had bubbled in his stomach, he’d rejected him. It hadn’t been the first time his classmate, whom he barely knew about had asked to go out, or to even get a cup of coffee. First, it had been a note in his locker then a note in his book, chocolates of Valentine’s Day, chocolate on White Day. Baekhyun just couldn’t understand why Chanyeol was so interested in him. He wasn’t anything special. His grades were a little better than average, he wasn’t part of any social cliques, he could sing yes, but apart from that, Baekhyun was, to put it quite bluntly, boring. But it wasn’t only himself that he wasn’t so sure about.

 

It was Chanyeol.

 

He felt no attraction to him whatsoever. But that wasn’t even the strangest part. Chanyeol was everything he looked for – cheerful, attractive,  charming voice – but when it came to be, and Chanyeol walked into the room, Baekhyun’s heart did nothing. It didn’t pound in his chest, it didn’t skip a beat.

 

Just, nothing.

 

Baekhyun had figured Chanyeol would give up sooner or later, but there was a determination in Chanyeol that he’d only ever seen in one other person before – himself. Baekhyun didn’t know how much longer he could reject Chanyeol, because simply that act alone caused his chest to tighten, let alone what it must make Chanyeol feel.

 

 

“He really likes you, Hyung.”

 

“I think I’ve noticed that, Sehun.”

 

Sehun scoffed into his school cooked pasta and simply stared at Baekhyun, then to Kai beside him, and then back to Baekhyun. At the second time Sehun looked at Kai, the latter threw his hands up in a huff, muttering a small fine fine under his breath. He clicked so Baekhyun’s attention was on him, and Baekhyun found that one of his most annoying habits.

 

“What.”

 

“We both know Sehun isn’t the smartest cookie in the shed- shut it Sehun- and I’m no Einstein either, but when we both say that there could definitely be something between you and Chanyeol, well, you’re the smartest at this table.”

 

Baekhyun aggressively stabbed a lone olive on his plate and grumbled around the pit.

 

“It doesn’t matter if he likes me to the moon and back. I don’t like him like that. I don’t understand why he can’t just, stop, pestering me. Like, I like the guy and all –not like that Sehun– but I can’t help it if I don’t like him.”

 

Sehun sighed into his hands and Kai snapped.

 

“What do you mean you don’t like him! You liked him f-!”

 

Sehun immediately clapped a hand over Kai’s mouth and even though Baekhyun couldn’t see it, he just knew that he was biting his lips to hell’s gates. He spoke slowly.

 

“What…did you just say?”

 

Kai forcefully pulled Sehun’s clammy hands from his face and stalled his answer with a long gulp of water.

 

“Nothing. I just said, that maybe, you should give him a chance.”

 

“That’s not even on the same lines.”

 

“But that’s what I’m saying now.”

 

“I was asking what you were saying before.”

 

“I’ve forgotten.”

 

 

Baekhyun glared at the tanned boy until a familiar face began coming into view behind him.

 

“- Chanyeol……hey.”

 

“Hello Baekhyun,” the taller boy smiled as he cautiously sat himself next to the smaller, “fine weather, don’t you think?”

 

Sehun facedesked and Kai huffed into his water until Baekhyun stated the obvious.

 

“Chanyeol, it’s hailing.”

 

“Do you want to grab a cup of coffee after school and sit in the park?”

 

“…Chanyeol. It’s hailing.”  

 

 

 

Nothing ever made sense to Baekhyun.