「Let Me Talk to You」

Lovesick
Rating: R
Genre: bakery AU!

Jonghyun walks into the bakery and immediately slides to the counter, almost falling and cracking his skull on the chessboard floor. He doesn’t care though, because he needs a cake for Minho and Jinki’s birthday party and if he doesn’t hurry—

"I like the color of your hair," a voice calls from behind him.

He whips around with a suspicious frown, shoes squeaking against the recently mopped tiles. “W-who—?” 

The amusement Kibum receives from watching the man flail around, his eyes widen to impossible proportions, is almost illegal. He smirks, caressing the ash blonde hair and twirling a strand around his fingers. “Yeah, I like it.”

his lips, Kibum turns around, but only manages to take a few steps when the flustered male behind him stutters in a half-whisper, half shout, “Yah! Wait! Who do you think you are?”

Jonghyun gulps as he waits for a reply from the other, and he thinks its quite audible in the yet-uncrowded store. He blushes, fanning the stray strand of hair off his forehead and straightens up, clearing his throat. “I asked you—” he starts again in as deep a voice as he can manage.

"You’re standing in my shop and interrogating me," the man says absent-mindedly, flinging an apron around his neck. “That’s not fair, is it? Here, help me with this would you?" he walks backwards, closer and closer to Jonghyun.

He stutters, trying to look for an escape from the situation. “I-I’m just here for a strawberry cheesecake and some paper plates—”

"And you’ll get them once you help me tie this up… sir,” the man grinds his teeth impatiently, head turned sideways and glaring from the corner of his eyes.

His face painted in a lovely shade of scarlet and his cherry lips parted like a rose in bloom, the man fumbles, hesitantly reaching the drawstrings, only to drag his hand away as if he’s about to commit a crime. Kibum can almost feel the intensity of the man’s stare, transfixed at the back of his head, slowly moving lower, lower, a sharp intake of breath, a nervous gulp, quickening of heartbeat, and... and… a sudden jab to the small of his back.

"I asked you to help me with the apron, not poke me." Kibum growls, slipping a mask of sheer exasperation to hide his growing fascination.

"I- Sorry." The man swallows, fumbling with the thin strings and tying a clumsy tie, and makes a quick dash to the door, only to stumble against a table. 

"YAH!" Jonghyun hears as he almost runs himself into the door of the shop, palms banging against the glass front. “You can’t pull a knife on me and expect to get away with it!" 

"Wh-what?! Nuh-nuh-knive?!" he stutters, turning around and feeling his eyes stray over the entire shop in his anxiety. His hands inadvertently try to pull the hem of his shirt lower and lower, trying to hide his “excitement". This shouldn’t be happening, he thinks. He’s not fifteen anymore, he can control himself.

There’s a teasing look on the other man’s face, something that should annoy the hell out of Jonghyun but it doesn’t— it just makes matters worse for him and his quick-blooming embarrassment. “I-I… I’m sorry,” he manages, eyes downcast as he apologizes. “I don’t… I don’t know what came over me.”

"Here’s your cake," the owner of the bakery speaks over him, pushing a small white packaging box across the counter. “That’ll be… you know what? Never mind. Visit us again, sir," he smiles and gives Jonghyun a very violating once-over.

"You look like you have a real sweet tooth."

Kibum smirks as he watches the man leave, a smirk that clearly left the other in a stumbling, stuttering mess and a growing problem in his pants. The blonde looks back over his shoulder with an embarrassed smile playing on his lips, and raises his hand in a wave.

It is only luck and a lot of fumbling that saves the cake from decorating the pavement in red and white.

He erupts into a fit of laughter, as the other clutches the box to his chest as if it’s his lifeline and breaks into a run, out of Kibum’s sight.

He’ll be back.

Jonghyun blushes all the way back to his apartment, not bothering to pick up his phone when Minho calls or texts. He whistles lightly as he makes his way to the nearest zebra crossing, eyes barely on the road or the changing traffic signals.

Someone honks at him really loud, shouting an oath from their window but he grins at them and waves cheerily. With the cake box in his hands and a lightness in his head, he makes it across the street in one piece… but turns around to look back at the bakery he just left.

A distinctly blonde head stands out in the display window. 

"I’ll come back," he thinks as he continues with a happy skip in his step.