final - beware; mild cursing

Silent Songbird

 

f   i   n   a   l  

It was those moments that Chanyeol utterly adored the soft humming from his windows. It was soothing and calmed his tensed body and nerves. But when the song ended, Chanyeol couldn't help but pray - with the utmost desperation - for more. He needed to get his mind off the piles of papers waiting on his study desk. He needed a sanctuary and haven and the soft singing just so happens to be the only one. But sadly, his only source of comfort only comes in every few months - if he was lucky. 

 

He stared at the full moon peeking from the corner of his windows and he imagined the song sung to him up close. He imagined how would it be like to be the one and only audience for the show. He continued gazing at the faraway mountain, his youthful face etched with a deep frown. He doesn't want it to end.

 

He took out his phone, eyes still focused on the light shining in his window pane as he tapped in familiar numbers.

 

"Hello, Mr. Park, what may I do for you?"

 

"Cancel all my meetings for the whole of this month, I'm going to leave for a while,"

 

"W-what? But Mr. Park, where are you going?"

 

"I'm... not sure," Chanyeol replied as he stood up and walked towards the window.

 

"Why so sudden though?"

 

Chanyeol paused, thinking about a believable excuse. He was about to just spurt out a random answer when he saw a flicker of life in the deep greens of the mountain near his isolated mansion. Suddenly, he realised.

 

"I'm going to search for something. Something very dear to me," and without waiting for a reply, he hang up the phone, throwing it across his bed before leaning on the window pane with his eyes directed at the bright signing orb hanging in the sky.

 

The feeling was unfamiliar. He felt as if something was stretching, his lips maybe, and the corners of his mouth were also turning up. Then, his eyes widden with recognition. Ah, I'm smiling, right? He thought.

 

For the first time in the ten long years after his freedom was forcefully ripped away from him, he smiled.

When Chanyeol stared at the muddy sleep slope in front of him, he thought - . I should've come when I was more prepared.

 

He gave his own long limbs a glance and sighed. There were three large gashes on his legs and another three around his arms. To top it off, his face had a long and ugly scratch on his right cheek.

 

The hiking trip was going nowhere, the only thing Park Chanyeol was getting were the numerous wounds littered across his skin. He sighed and looked at the dangerous slope, eyes falling shut. You can do it, he thought and started to climb up. The very first few steps were successful and Chanyeol didn't slip nor scratch himself. So he decided to be a man and actually take bigger steps - wrong move though. The minute his left foot left the ground, he felt his right foot sliding down.

 

Darn itAnd the last thing he felt and remembered was his body rolling down the rough ground and his head hitting directly on a hard object.

Chanyeol groaned in pain when he felt a torturing and excrutiating pain pounding on his head. It felt as if his scalp was ripped open. His eyes were tightly shut as he rolled about and he felt soft bedsheets rubbing against his skin. He groaned for the last time before cracking his right eye open. He immediately opened the other eye when he realised he was not in his room. He sprung into a sitting position, only to crumble back when the pain in his head doubled. ", , ," He kept chanting, clutching onto his head. It was only until then did he noticed something was wrapping around his head. 

 

He sat up - this time slowly - and inspected his wounds, only to realise all of them had been bandaged and treated. He frowned and stared at his surroundings. He was in a small hut with only a few furnitures like the bed, a table, small couch at the side and a make-shift kitchen. He slipped out of bed with difficulty and walked towards the door and pushed it slightly open, squinting when the sun's rays hit him straight on. He cursed lightly and walk out, gasping at the view.

 

A huge garden that almost reached the horizon greeted him with its glory. Plants of different kinds were grown beautifully, all the flowers blooming and giving out a calm and soothing aroma. He paused when he saw a boy sitting on a bench in the middle of nowhere. He was about to walk forward when he gazed down and realised, Oh... I have to step on the plants, huh? He actually wanted to try and manoeuvre his way through (to avoid crushing the plants under his abnormally large foot) but gave up when it was proved to be impossible. He simply stepped on the plants that were in his way and walked towards the mysterious boy, mentally apologising to the poor beings being trampled by him.

 

He stood behind the bench, looking at the boy. From the back view, Chanyeol noticed the said boy was pretty small-sized. His back was small and his spine was poking out visibly through the thin white fabric he was wearing. His hair was in a deep, dark shade of red and so, in (Chanyeol's) conclusion, he was a peeny-sized red head. The taller male slowly reached out and tapped the rather bony shoulder. The smaller boy jerked in shock before slowly turning around.

 

Oh, how Chanyeol swore his heart stopped beating.

He sat there, staring. He was speechless. He had utterly no brain juice left to think as he tries to absorb the innocent beauty in front of him. It takes him a painful feeling in his chest to realise that he forgot to breathe - that he was not breathing.

 

The boy's skin was pale, too pale in fact. And it contrasted too much to the boy's red hair. But at the same time, it gave the boy's face his sharp features, emphasizing on the equally pair of red lips and large hazel brown eyes. 

 

He jumped in shock when he found the boy's face less than an inch away from his. Suddenly, he felt fingers threading in his hair and he sighed, leaning in the gentle and relaxing touch. The boy smiled at him and Chanyeol found himself engulfed in two skinny arms.

 

It was familiar - the boy's embrace was too familiar. And it scares Chanyeol because he doesn't want to get used to it.

Chanyeol doesn't know why, but the boy refuses to speak. As he is sitting beside the boy, on the bench and under the scorching hot sun, he finds himself staring at the hazel brown eyes again. And then he remembers, I still don't know why I'm here.

 

"Umm... So may I ask... Where am I?" He speaks softly as he observed the boy's movements. The boy just smiled and shot him a side-glance before turning to look around the many plants scattered around them. Chanyeol frowned slightly. "Then... Do you know how to get back on the hiking path?" He asks again, only to be ignored.

 

He sighed. Maybe he just doesn't want to talk now... Chanyeol thought and began toying with the bandage around his head. Suddenly, slender fingers tugged his hand away from the loose bandage and he looked up to find the boy frowning at him and shaking his head. Thinking that the boy didn't want him to meddle with the bandage, he stopped and placed his hands back to his lap.

 

He froze when he realises the boy was still gently craddling his hand. And he was about to pull his hand back when the fingers tighten around it. He looked at the boy in surprise when he felt fingers lacing with his own. The boy sent him a charming smile before looking at the garden spread out in front of them. Chanyeol looks at his hand that was placed on the boy's lap and sighed, opting to just relax in the silence between them and bask himself in the sunlight.

The routine went on for quite a while, and Chanyeol lost count of the days he had been away from his work. He was not complaining though - he liked the silence and serenity when he was with the unknown boy and he particularly love the way the boy would beam at him when their eyes met. The boy never said anything and expressed his feelings with actions, sometimes gesturing wildly around or just smiling. It was during this times that Chanyeol felt as if his heart was being weighed down by an unknown force. The feeling was uncomfortable and it just feels... wrong.

 

He tried remembering. Maybe we've met in the city? He shook his head. Then... Maybe I've been on this mountain before? He then realises something.

 

The hut was familiar, like many of the other things that revolves around the boy. It feels like he had used them before or seen them, at least.

 

It was night time when the boy popped up in front of him again, smiling and holding onto his hand. He was dragged to the bench outside and he decided to lay down on his back, gazing at the sky above. He looked around and noticed that there was a full moon tonight. "It's really pretty," he sighed out. The boy turned to look at him and smiled as he tightly laced his own slender fingers in Chanyeol's calloused ones. He turned back to the sky and took a deep breath in. 


Chanyeol frowned a little when he saw the boy opening his mouth. Is he going to talk? He thought. 

 

(EXO K's Don't Go) 

날 안내해줘 yeah 그대가 살고 있는 곳에 나도 함께 데려가줘

Nal annaehaejwo yeah geudaega salgo inneun gose nado hamkke deryeogajwo

 

Oh 세상 끝이라도 뒤따라 갈테니 부디 내 시야에서 벗어나지 말아줘

Oh, sesangui kkeuchirado dwittaragal teni

 

아침이 와도 사라지지 말아줘 oh

Budi nae siyaeseo beoseonaji marajwo achimi wado sarajiji marajwo oh

 

꿈을 꾸는 걸음 그댄 나만의 아름다운 나비 (Oh) woo woo hoo~ (Oh yeah~) woo woo hoo~ (Yeah~) woo woo hoo~

Kkumeul kkuneun georeum geudaen namanui areumdaun nabi (Oh) woo woo hoo~ (Oh yeah~) woo woo hoo~ (Yeah~) woo woo hoo~

 

Chanyeol gasped. It's that voice. The one he's heard all the way from his mansion. Even though it wasn't the gentle humming, it was better. Way better. The boy sung beautifully and every word seemed to have imprinted itself in Chanyeol's mind.

 

The boy, was utterly and down right beautiful. 

 

He jerked slightly when memories began spearing through him like knives and lost scenes from his childhood seemed to have replayed itself right in front of him. He could see the younger him rolling about the plants and the same unknown boy carrying him up and hoisting him in the air. When he snapped back to reality, he remembered. The hut. It was their hut. They had built it together.

 

Chanyeol was well aware that his hands were shaking now. There was so much feelings - joy, grief, realisation, uncertainty, cusiosity and shock. He was too overwhelmed by the many memories he had no memory off. He had forgotten about them. The singing stopped and Chanyeol found the boy looking at him with sad yet gentle eyes. "Do you remember now?" The boy said. Chanyeol felt tears stinging his eyes, but he didn't know why. Then he realised the unknown boy from his supposedly 'memories' looked completely the same, nothing about his appearance did change. He gasped out as he felt the boy tightening his hand. 

 

"W-Why... do you s-still look the same?" Chanyeol stuttered out, frowning as tears escaped his eyes slowly. "I don't age," the red head said and Chanyeol suddenly felt himself in a familiar pair of arms. "W-What is your name?" Chanyeol choked out. The boy raised his head and smiled. "I'm Baekhyun," the boy paused as he hesitantly moved up and placed his lips on Chanyeol's cheek. "... And I missed you, Chanyeol-ah," It was only then did Chanyeol wrap his arms around the petite boy and sobbed in the scent of flowers diffusing around them.

 

Because he finally understand now. The humming he heard from his mansion wasn't from the mountains. It was from the memories that he had so dearly kept away.

Chanyeol didn't know how long it took for the tears to stop flowing. He didn't know how long did he buried Baekhyun's tiny form in his arm and held him there. The boy had begun singing to him again but he ruffled the boy's red hair, causing him to stop. "How... How did we met?" Chanyeol asked, afraid to break the peaceful silence between them. Baekhyun shifted so his back was against Chanyeol's chest before letting out a sigh. "You lost your way here and I found you. You... didn't want to go home so I kept you with me. And then one day, you said you remembered the way home and made a promise with me," Baekhyun said, eyes looking at the full moon above them. "What promise?" Chanyeol asked again as the clouds began to appear and block away the full moon. Baekhyun just turned around and smiled at him. He took Chanyeol's palm and wrote down careful letters - It's a secret.

 

Chanyeol frowned at the boy's behaviour when the said male just turned and laid against Chanyeol, eyes closing shut. The taller boy chuckled. He's going to give me the silent treatment again?

Chanyeol spent around another week with Baekhyun before he decided that he has to actually man up and go back to the pile of paper work waiting for him. He doesn't want to let go of the younger boy though, so as he craddled the boy in his arms gently and said, "Baek, do you want to go back to the city with me?" Chanyeol asked. When the smaller male visibly tensed and froze up in his arms, Chanyeol frowned. Baekhyun sighed before shaking his head. "Why? You can't bear to leave the hut?" Chanyeol questioned but disappointment flooded him when the smaller boy just sighed and looked away, ignoring him.

 

When the night fell and the full moon was still hanging in the night sky, Chanyeol decided to try his luck and ask the boy the same question again. "Chanyeol, I can't leave," Baekhyun said softly. "I belong here and I grew up here... Chanyeol-ah, don't you realise something? I don't talk to you in the morning and on nights when the sky is clear," Baekhyun paused and observed the taller boy's expressions. 

 

Chanyeol stayed silent for minutes. As he began to think of all the moon-less nights he had spent just staring at Baekhyun's soft features, he realises. He thinks back to all that lost childhood he had forgotten. Then, he gasped. He understands it now.

 


"Chanyeol-ah!" Baekhyun called out as he panted, pausing and falling on the ground in a fit of giggles when he caught the small boy in his arms.

"Hyung! That's not fair!" 7-year-old Chanyeol giggled as he rolled on the bench.

Baekhyun just chuckled and pulled the boy in his arms, the smaller boy fitting like a puzzle in his embrace. After a soothing pause, he cleared his throat. "Chanyeol-ah... Don't you ever want to go home?" Baekhyun asked the boy softly, running his hand through the short black hair. "No! I won't leave!" Chanyeol answered, eyes wide with determination. Baekhyun laughed and pulled the boy even tighter against his chest. "Then, if you really have to leave one day, you must remember about me, okay?" Baekhyun said as the boy began yawning.

"When I leave, hyung... You can't go anywhere! You'll have to stay here and if you dare leave... You'll... You'll turn into an stinky, old man! And you cannot sing for anyone else..." Chanyeol began slurring, his exhaustion taking over. "...Hyung can only sing for Chanyeol..." He ended, dozing off right after.

All those naive and childish words were said under the full moon's glaring rays.

The next morning, Park Chanyeol was dragged back to his parents and Byun Baekhyun found himself missing two precious things - the boy he had wanted to keep by his side and his voice. He lost his voice.


 

The youth Baekhyun had kept with him even after all those years and the soft humming in his ears. Chanyeol finally understood. Finally. His eyes were stretched to its biggest as realisation was thrown at him like a pile of bricks.

 

That night, Chanyeol craddled the boy in his arms - much like how Baekhyun had did to him - while apologising for his childish ways and ignorant behaviour that has caused someone so beautiful to go through such lonely days by himself, stuck in time and never aging. But all Baekhyun did was savour the warmth the taller boy gave him, smiling softly. Because he thinks, If at the end of the day I get to see your face, that's more than enough. I'll spent years stuck by myself in this place for you, I'll belong only to you and I'll be your silent songbird... because you're worth it. 

 

From then on, Chanyeol never left the hut.

He gave up his mansion.

His wealth.

His work.

His family.

His everything...

Just for Baekhyun, the one who gave him a home. A true home.

 

And unknowingly, as time passed... He didn't know that he had spent centuries living with the boy he had fallen in love with. It was only til after science became further more advanced did the century-old mountain became a hot spot for achitectural developents and it was removed, clearing land for other facilities.

 

Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun realised then that it was their time - that they had lived long enough and it's time for them to leave behind the life they had. 

 

After the mountains were demolished, penthouses were built in its place. And whoever lived there, during each full moon, would hear the soft and melodious duet from somewhere from the sky.

 

 


In the end, the Silent Songbird found its own sanctuary and finally, it was able to sing to the one and only person it had sworn to love. 


 

 

 

 

 

 

(-|uthor's Note:

This story is a total fail. There's  barely any angst and I kind of lost my initial ideas for this story's title. I apologise for this disappointing pile of mess called a fanfic //shoots myself with bananas// This story lacks a lot of things, so I'm really thankful for those who supported this. Please stay tune to my other one-shots/chaptered fics! I'll see you again soon (Oh believe me, I mean it, I'm starting on another one-shot already) If you guys are super, super disappointed with this fic, PM me and request a one shot (I'll write it to make it up to you guys as an apology). I'll only choose one if a lot of you sent me requests so... yeah. BAH BAI MAH LOVELY SENORITAS <3