Leaving Everything Behind

The Debut

For the first time in weeks, I was able to relax. The plane had taken off, and my parents were long gone.

The events of the last few weeks flashed before my eyes. If truth be told, it was overwhelming. Unexpected. Painful. Sudden.

I couldn't accept that he actually tried to do it.

My own father.

His own daughter.

I know it was all for Naomi, and I know he'd do anything for her but this was something else.

Maybe I should explain.

Naomi was my sister. She was terminally ill. I didn't know how or why she was ill. I didn't even know the name of the disease. All I knew was that she was ill, she was going to die, and I was utterly devastated.

I loved my sister. She was as dear to me as anyone ever could be. When she's was admitted into hospital, I was by her side all day and all night, only leaving when I went to school. But I couldn’t do that anymore. I was leaving the country. Leaving my poor, darling sister behind, I prayed that she didn't feel betrayed.

I didn't want to leave; I had no choice.

Thinking back, I started to question myself. Should I have let him do it? Was I being selfish? Had I actually betrayed my sister?

No. I brushed those thoughts away. I did nothing wrong. Besides, it was too late to change anything now.

"We are expecting to land in about 10 minutes, please return to your seats and put on your seatbelts. Thank you for your cooperation." The pilot's scratchy voice echoed around the small plane, repeating his message in rough Japanese and Korean. I presumed he was American. His accent seemed quite western.

I sighed. Gosh, I wasn't ready for this. During this short flight I was able to escape for a while. It was surreal, as if my problems had all been left back on the ground.

If it weren't for my uncle, I don't know what I would have done. I rang him as soon as it happened. He was surprised, yes, emotional, yes, but he was also calm and rational. He kept me out of danger and stopped me doing something stupid.

Without him I'd probably still be roaming the streets of Tokyo, homeless and desperate. Gosh, I owed him so much.

Those two weeks on the streets were quite possibly the worst of my life.

Being the less pretty, less clever, less funny, less cute of the two of us, it was hardly surprising that I wasn't to be the family favourite but there's a difference between not being the favourite and being murdered.

I'll repeat myself. I love my sister. But when my father tried to kill me in order to save her... I had no choice but to leave.

He wanted my organs. I didn't know which organs and I didn't really know why either because, like I said, I didn't even know what was wrong with Naomi. Maybe if I did, I would have been able to support her better, but I could hardly ask her, and my parents didn't so much as glance at me while Naomi was in such a critical state. Until they tried to kill me, that is.

It had been two weeks since it happened, and I had by no means gotten over it. I never cried, which surprised me. Maybe I had become immune to my father's mistreatment and clear favouritism. But it still hurt. A lot.

I let out a deep, shaky breath when I felt the plane touch the ground and had to hold back a whimper. This wasn't home. This wasn't somewhere I felt safe. This was a completely different country. A different culture. Different people. I had no friends, no family, only my uncle.

I half-heartedly grabbed my hand luggage from the overhead storage. It wasn't particularly heavy. I only had my laptop, phone, passport and a few changes of clothes. There was no time to grab anything other than the essentials when I snuck into my old house. I didn't even bring my life savings. I left the money on the kitchen table, hoping that my parents would put it towards Naomi's hospital bills.

Following the crowd through the airport, I hardly paid any attention to where I was going until I ended up face to face with an angry passport-checking man. I apologised for spacing out, got my passport stamped and moved on, hearing him mutter furiously under his breath.

I sighed and walked tiredly out of the international arrivals exit. I scanned the airport, seeing many people waiting for their loved ones to arrive, but not seeing my uncle. He said he might be late, I wasn't worried, he had a busy job and the hours were 'flexible' meaning he could never be sure when he had some time off.

I sat down on the nearest bench, my head in my hands, but I was barely there for 5 minutes when my uncle pitched up, panting hard.

His hand on my shoulder was what alerted me to his presence. I jumped up quickly and threw my arms round him.

"Welcome to Korea sweetheart." He croaked.

And then I was gone. All of the tears that I'd kept in since it all started finally came pouring out.

"Uncle." I choked.

As much as I tried to stop them, they just kept falling. When I thought that they'd finally gone, a new batch would come and overwhelm me again.

My uncle, bless him, just hugged me patiently, rubbed my back and let me ruin his favourite jumper.

When my tears had eventually subsided into dry sobs, my uncle pulled away. He wiped my face and led me to his car. He chucked my bag in the boot and opened the door to the passenger seat so that I could get in.

We just sat next to each other for a while, in silence. I was watching the people of Seoul walking in and out of the airport. Whenever a family walked past, it took everything I had to keep the tears in.

"Jen." He finally spoke. "Are you okay?"

I sighed. At that moment, I clearly wasn't, but I knew that it wouldn't stay that way.

"I will be." I promised wearily. He smiled.

"Good." He paused and we sat in silence for a while longer.

"So, you know how I said you could stay with me..." He started.

I turned to face him quickly, mouth hanging open slightly. What does he mean? If he's about to tell me that I can't stay with him, I'll have nowhere to go. I'm in a foreign country with no money and no friends.

"I spoke to my boss and he said it's just not practical for you to stay with me."

My heart plummeted and I felt my eyes begin to well up again. I looked down.

"But," he continued, "I told him everything and he said he had a better solution. He said that he's been looking for a girl to hire for a very important job. He says you can have it if you agree. You'd get good wages, a small apartment in the centre of Seoul, and he said he could organise something with a school so that you can still take the exams. I think it's a really good deal if you want to take it."

I blinked. Wow, that was a lot to consider. A full time job? I'm only 17!

Not wanting to be rude, and knowing that this was probably the best option I had, I showed some interest.

"What..." I cleared my throat. "What would the job be?"

He looked at me. "Well you know I work for an entertainment company, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, SM."

"Well they're going to debut a big group in about a month or two and, at the moment, the guys are a mess. They're not organised, their dorm is disgusting and they're not scheduling enough time for themselves to practise. Basically, the company want someone to be their assistant, their right arm essentially. Someone to help them cook, clean, study, rehearse, everything." He paused. "And Lee Soo Man wants you."

I hesitated. It didn't seem like a small job. "Do you think it would be a good idea?" I asked timidly, hundreds of doubts going through my mind. He nodded slowly.

"To be honest, Jen, I don't think we have much choice." I nodded, partly in agreement with his last statement, partly in determination. I was going to do this job, and I was going to do it well.

"Okay." I agreed and my uncle smiled at me.

"They want you to start pretty much straight away. I think that would be best anyway considering you don't have anywhere to stay yet. Is that okay?"

"How soon?" I nodded.

"Is today alright?"

I gaped at him. Today? Was he kidding me? I looked a mess! My clothes were ripped and dirty and my hair was greasy. Gross! I was about to protest but then I realised that I didn't really have much choice. I didn't have a house. If I wanted to have somewhere to stay that night, I'd have to start work.

I bit my lip and nodded reluctantly, earning a smile of approval from my uncle.

"We'll get through this Jen. Don't worry" I smiled back as he turned the ignition key and started up the car.

We were quiet as we drove through the streets of Seoul. My uncle was distracted, most likely with thoughts of his job. I was just sad.

The SM building was probably one of the scariest I'd ever seen. Not because it was a particularly intimidating building in itself, but because I was petrified of what I would find inside.

I followed my uncle inside, hands shaking. He took me straight to what looked like a practice room. He told me to wait outside as he knocked and opened the door. There was music playing, but it stopped quickly. I heard a chorus of "Hello"s and "Good afternoon"s before my uncle walked out again with two men who looked around 30.

I bowed and greeted them as my uncle introduced me.

"This is Jen, she's going to be Super Junior's new assistant, please look after her." I smiled shyly. Super Junior? I guessed that was the name of the band.

"Nice to meet you Jen. We'll brief you on what your role is exactly later today, but for now, let's just meet the boys."

I glanced back at my uncle who gave me two thumbs up, mouthing "good luck" and followed the two men. I took a deep breath, calmed myself and stepped inside.

12 faces immediately turned to look at me. I bowed and vaguely heard them introducing me. I wasn’t focussed, and wasn’t entirely sure what was going on. It had been a long day already, and it was just about to get even more overwhelming.

Before I knew it, the men had left the room and I was left alone with the 12 members of Super Junior.