Fairytales

Prince and I

At a very young age my parents told me that some dreams never come true, that the princess getting her prince was like trying to win the lottery. I was told to give up on believing in miracles, fairy tales, or anything that didn’t pertain to the “real world.” They thought that by doing so I wouldn’t be disappointed when certain things didn’t happen but that didn’t stop me from believing in them. As I grew older fairytales became my savior from depression. A dream I could escape to when I couldn’t handle my life anymore. I mean who doesn’t love happy endings?  I get that they were trying to protect me from getting hurt but it’s nothing that I couldn’t handle because I’ve endured far worst. You might be thinking “it couldn’t be that bad” but you’re entirely wrong. Oh where are my manners I forget to introduce myself. Hello everyone my name is Choi Minki but I like to go by the name of Ren. I’m currently 17 years old and have the honor of attending the prestigious school Pledis High, a school for the rich and snobby. Sounds fun doesn’t it? Anyway let’s move on to the history of my sad life. I grew up with two amazing parents who were always supportive in anything I did (Except when it came to liking fairytales). My parents both died in a car accident on my 15th birthday while coming home from work. A drunken truck driver ended up colliding with them, killing them on impact. Not even a week after my parents’ death someone told the entire school my ual orientation; yes I’m gay so deal with it. To top it off I’m homeless. That’s right you heard me I’m homeless, okay not really I’m living at an orphanage at the moment, but it feels like I’m homeless. I’ve got nothing to my name. You might be thinking how a person with no money can end up going to a private school you ask? It’s simple a scholarship, a full scholarship that pays for my schooling fees. Yup I’m smart like the typical nerd that wears glasses, is very anti-social, and let’s not forget unpopular. Isn’t high school just fun? Yeah right whoever said high school is the best years of your life should go die. But with all the drama that I’ve gone through I’m still waiting for the day my prince will come, I just didn’t expect him to come so fast……

 

His name is Kang Dongho but his friends call him Baekho. He’s 6 ft of pure hotness, captain of the football team, in line for prom king, and not to mention he’s filthy rich. I’m not sure what attracted me to him. I can’t decide if it’s the simile that graces his face or that he’s kind, even for a popular student. I know my chances with him were 0 to nothing but it can’t hurt to dream. Plus he probably doesn’t know that I’m in all of his classes and stalk him during my free periods. No I’m not a stalker, I’m just simply observing. Plus He’s probably too busy talking to his friends to notice someone as insignificant as me. I still have faith that one day he will notice me.

 

My alarm clock rings signaling the start of a new day. Yeah school sounds fun doesn’t it? Well it would be fun if you weren’t me that is. When I arrive at school all eyes are on me; judging me for my attraction towards men, if that's not it, its being made fun of for being poor, having no family, or being unattractive. Well I guess I should get ready for school. Although ditching school sounds rather tempting, but I want to see Baekho. Somehow seeing Baekho gives me hope and strength that someone will save me.

“Ren dear it’s time to get up” my foster mother Jungha yelled

 

“I’ll be right down”, I replied.

 

As I carry my tired body to the bathroom to get ready, I can’t help but stair at my reflection in the mirror. My hair, a dirty blonde color sticking up at all ends, hazel eyes covered by thick framed glasses, and pink pouty lips. Ugly is all I see. It’s bad enough that the school makes us wear these horrible plaid outfits thus making my appearance even uglier, if that’s even possible. After I brushed my teeth and fixed my hair I decided that I looked decent enough. “Ren you can do it. Let’s have a good day at school and hopefully not get beat up by the bullies. Ren Fighting”

 

“Good morning Jungha.” Ren said with a simile before sitting down at the breakfast table.

 

“Good morning Minki.” Jungha replied.

 

Although I hate when people call me Minki, I let Jungha call me that since she’s the closet I have to a mother and an older sister.

 

“Minki did you see your other siblings while upstairs?” Jungha questioned.

 

“No I haven’t, you want me to wake them up?” Ren questioned.

 

“Yes if it’s not too much trouble” she replied.

 

“It’s not” Ren said as he got up from the table to go back upstairs. Ren made his way across the hall knocking on three doors those of which contained Minhyun, Lizzy, and Ara.

 

“Guys it’s time to get up” Ren called

 

“Morning hyung” Minhyun said

 

“Morning oppa” Lizzy and Ara said

 

“Morning guys, Jungha has breakfast ready for us down stairs”

 

As the kids rushed down the stairs Ren can’t help but feel sorry for the predicament that all of them are in. Minhyun being just a year younger then Ren lost his parents at gun point. On their way home from dinner they ran into a bunch of gang members looking for a way to make cash. When Minhyun’s parents didn’t give in they were shot right there on the spot. He has the cutest simile I have ever seen and it’s not wonder why guys and girls go after him. He’s practically gorgeous not to mention he’s taller than me even though he’s younger, his qualities can wrap anyone around his finger. That is how he got Aron Kwak, captain of the soccer team and best friend of Baekho to fall in love with him.

 

As for the other two, Lizzy (10 years old) and Ara (8 years old) are both sisters who lost their parents in a car accident like mine. I hope that one day we can all be happy again well at least Lizzy, Ara, and I anyway since Minhyun already has Aron, who would do anything for him.

 

After getting the other kids gathered, Ren made his way down to the table and finished off his breakfast

 

“Minki I’m not going to be able to pick Lizzy and Ara up from school today. Can you do it for me?” Jungha asked.

 

“Sure I can. Guys let’s go we’re going to be late for school” Ren said.

 

Ren left the house with Minhyun, Lizzy, and Ara trailing behind. When all four of them got outside they were surprised to see Aron with his 2012 red Lamborghini parked in their drive way

 

“Minhyun baby” Aron said with a radiant smile.

 

“Hey Aron, what are you doing here?” Minhyun said walking up and hugging Aron.

 

“Can’t I give my baby a lift when I want too? Aron said with a hint of aegyo

 

“I can’t today I have to drop my sisters off at school” Minhyun said while pouting

 

“Minhyun, its okay I’ll take the girls to school. Go have some fun with your boyfriend.” Ren said

 

“Are you sure you don’t need me hyung?” Minhyun questioned

 

“I’m sure Minnie, now go have fun. I’ll see you at school.” Ren said with a smile.

 

“Kay see you later hyung. You’re the best” Minhyun said while hugging Ren.

Ren watched as Aron opened the door to his Lamborghini for Minhyun like such a gentleman. When will my prince come Ren thought as he turned around in the direction of the girls’ school.

 

“Kay girls let’s go before were late.” Ren said tugging at the hands of both Lizzy and Ara

 

“Kay oppa” they said in union.

 

Ren began the 15 minute walk to the girls’ school which continently was placed down the street of his school.

 

“We’re here girls. Don’t forget I’m picking you guys up today. Be good, watch out for each other and don’t follow strangers okay?” Ren said.

 

“We will and bye oppa” Lizzy and Ara said as they ran up to the school’s entrance and entered.

 

“I’ll see you later” Ren said then walked away only to be cut off by seeing Baekho saying good bye to his younger brother before driving off. This is another reason why I love Baekho he’s good around kids. “If only he would notice me” Ren said to himself as he made his way to school.

 

Upon entering the school grounds, Ren is graced with the sight of Baekho. Ren can’t help but to stare in awe for a moment before entering the school building.

 As Ren made his way down the hall, whispers and rumors were all he heard. He would’ve listened too if they weren’t all about him.

 

“I heard Ren lost his v-card to one of our teachers”

 

“Look at the way he’s dressed”

 

“You think Ren ever sold his body to get into a school”

 

Was being gay really that hard of a concept to understand? I’ll never understand people. As Ren made his way to his locker, he was greeted with graffiti painted in bright colors with words such as “”, “-er”, and other degrading words. After getting over the initial shock Ren keyed in his combo to grab his books and to class. While doing so a note wrapped around a red rose fell out of his locker.

 

“Huh? What’s this…” Ren questioned as he bent down to grab it.

 

He unwrapped the note carefully, with delicacy as to not prick his finger on the thorns from the rose, he read the contents of the note.

 

My dearest Ren,

 

You may not know me but I know you. You're the person that enjoys reading fairy tales in the library during lunch, a person who holds his head up high when others try to put you down, but most important you're the person I can’t help but fall in love with. Can I have thy chance to become your prince?

 

Until next time my princess

 

“Is this some kind of sick joke? Are they trying to make my life more miserable then it is already?!” Ren thought as he slammed his locker shut and stormed off towards the nearest trash can, discarding the note and rose, then left for class. Baekho stood on the sidelines witnessing the love of his life throw away his heart.

 

“Does Ren not like me? Did I do something wrong” Baekho thought. “It was a very full proof plan”

 

“Yo, Baekho ready to head to class” Aron my best friend said

 

“It didn’t work man. My plan didn’t work” Baekho said frustrated.

 

“You mean your anonymous love letter? Why did she not like it? Aron questioned with a raised eye brow.

 

“It’s not a she Aron, it’s a he” Baekho said nervously.

 

“And your point Baekho? Don’t be embarrassed about who you love, who cares. You can’t pick and choose who you fall in love with.” Aron said in a more mature tone.

 

“So you’re not mad that I like a guy” Baekho questioned

 

“You do know I’m dating a guy right or did you completely forget?” Aron retorted.

 

“It's just I’m scared what people would think…” Baekho said trailing off.

 

“Screw what other people think Baekho, what matters is our own opinion not others!” Now whose the lucky guy that’s got you whipped” Aron questioned.

 

“Ren…” Baekho said softly.

 

“Huh….?” Aron said.

 

“Ren!” Baekho said a little louder this time

 

“For the love of god Baekho speak up!” Aron screamed.

 

“Ren. I love Ren! Okay happy now.” Baekho screamed back.

 

“Jeez don’t need to be all aggressive like. So you like Minhyun’s brother?” Aron asked.

 

“Wait, hold up, they’re Brothers?” Baekho said in a slight disbelief.

 

“Not legally but yeah. They’re foster brothers. Apparently Ren lost his parents in a car accident on his birthday” Aron replied casually.

 

“What! Are you serious? So the rumors about him being homeless were true?” Baekho said in utter shock.

 

“Is that a problem?” Aron said while quirking his eyebrow.

 

“Not really. It just shows he’s a strong person and that I want to be with him even more.” Beckho replied sheepishly.

 

“Good, he needs someone special in his life. Now, let’s head to class before we’re marked late again.” Aron

 

After a long day of school Ren dragged his to fetch his sisters. As Ren got closer he saw Lizzy and Ara waiting for him on the planter boxes in front of the school.

 

“Lizzy!  Ara!” Ren said happily

 

“Oppa!” Lizzy and Ara said while running up to Ren after jumping off of the planter boxes.

 

“Let’s go home guys” Ren said while grabbing both girls hands and slowly walked home.

 

“We’re home!” The three siblings said as they took off their shoes before entering.

 

“Welcome home kids~ Thanks Minki for picking the girls up” Jungha said covered in flour from cooking something.

 

“No problem” Ren replied.

 

“Dinner will be ready soon. I’ll call you when it’s ready” She said happily while going back to attend to the pots and pans.

 

“Okay” all three siblings said before going to their rooms.

 

Ren made his way upstairs to start on his homework, however Ren couldn’t get that note out of his head. Ren decided to talk to Minhyun about it, seeing as how the other was in a relationship with experience. Walking down the hall to the fourth door, Ren knocked lightly on Minhyun’s door before entering.

 

“Minnie I need your help.” Ren said after entering Minhyun’s room.

 

“What’s up hyung?” Minhyun replied putting down his textbook.

 

“Well I got this love letter at school today but I don’t know if it’s real or just a prank…” Ren said slighty trailing off.

 

“Well let me see it, maybe I can tell.” Minhyun replied a little forceful with an air of worry.

 

“I kinda threw it way…” Ren replied looking away.

 

“Hyung that doesn’t help the situation…” Minhyun said with a soft sigh.

 

“I know, but should I believe what the other person is saying or just ignore it?” Ren asked.

 

“Well if the person really likes you, I’d expect another letter coming soon and maybe something bigger. If it was a prank they wouldn’t put so much effort into it.” Minhyun replied with a curt nod.

 

“Well I hope it’s real and not a sick joke…Let’s finish our homework and go eat, I think dinner’s ready” Ren quickly said after leaving Minhyun’s room.

 

“Kay Hyung” Minhyun replied.

 

After dinner Ren retired to his room to get some rest. The letter was still on his mind as he fell asleep that night. The sound of an irritating alarm clock signaled the start of a new day. Ren rolled over and slammed his hand down on the thing, then prepared to get ready for school. In a quick fashion he got dressed and packed his papers and books into his backpack then quickly down the stairs.

 

“I’m off Jungha!” Ren yelled while walking out of the house.

 

“Bye Minki have a good one today.” Jungha called out to Ren.

 

Ren walked the same 15 minute walk he did every morning while going to school. Walking onto the school grounds he made a beeline to the entrance and to the locker thereafter, hastily keying in his combo; Ren opened his locker to his surprise another note had fallen out rolled up and clasped tightly by a fancy bracelet.

 

My dearest Minki,

 

I was hurt that you had thrown away my letter. However upon thinking of it, you must have thought that this was a prank; but it’s not my dear princess. My words are real and my love for you is true. Please give me a chance to prove to you that I truly do love you. I’ll know your answer if you wear the bracelet that I clasped around this letter.

 

Until next time my princess

 

Ren looked at the bracelet in his palm. The icy dangling hearts charms embroider about its circular frame were so foreign to him but it felt right. Ren decided it wouldn’t hurt try and see this through. After all if this was a sign that his fairy tale was going to come true he was going to take that one chance to have his happy ending. As Ren made his way to class with a rhythmic jingle of the charms, he overheard the teachers talking about prom which was next week. In the back of his mind, he hoped by then he’d have a date.

 

“I know what you can do man. Ask Ren to prom.” Aron said while playing around with his best friend.

 

“That’s a great idea and I have the perfect way to do it.” Baekho said with a smile.

 

As the days passed, Ren received multiple love letters from his secret admirer. Ren had reserved his suit and picked his flowers. All he need was a date which he hoped he would get. Like any other day Ren walked to his class, however only to be surprised with what was waiting for him on his desk. His classmates were all whispering and wondering what was going on having never seen anything done like that before. When Ren walked up to his desk he was greeted with a wonderful sight, it had been covered in a bed of rose petals with a very prominent bouquet of flowers. He plucked the hidden letter that had been hiding amongst the flowers, and then smelled the roses. A small smile creased his mouth as he read the letter.

 

Princess,

 

If I may be so bold, I would like to request thy hand to be my date to prom this Friday. Meet me in the middle of the dance floor. I’ll be wearing a black tux with a red rose in my jacket pocket. I hope you accept me when you find out who I am. See you on Friday princess. Like always there is something attached so I know your answer.

 

I’ll see you soon my princess

 

This time it was a beautiful diamond necklace. The icy gemstones circle about the band of platinum that holds the gems in place. Ren has never seen anything more beautiful in his life. He puts the necklace on carefully then takes his seat as class was about to start. For the rest of the day he was on cloud nine. Briskly he rushed home after school to put the necklace in his bed side table drawer alongside the bracelet. Finishing up all of his assignments Ren went to bed antsy to start the next day which was prom.

 

As the blaring of his alarm clock rung out, Ren almost jumped out of bed ready to take on the day. He thought to himself today’s the day, the day I meet my prince charming. Like normal Ren got ready for school. Ren watched and counted down the hours, minutes, and even seconds before school ended. The bell finally rung to signal the end of school, Ren got out of his last class and rushed home to get ready. He combed his hair, applied a little eyeliner, put on his suit along with the necklace and bracelet both of which were well hidden, and was ready to go.

 

On the other side of town, Baekho was nervously getting ready. He fixed his hair, sprayed some cologne, and put on his suit. He exited his room and down the stairs where his parents were waiting to take pictures. Surprising Baekho’s parents didn’t care that he liked the same gender as long as he was happy. After some pictures his parents escorted him to the door.

 

“After you get your man bring him back. I would like to meet the man that has grabbed the heart of my baby” Baekho’s mom said

 

“Sure mom. I’ll sure you guys later” Baekho replied with a slight blush and left.

 

“Bye sweetie, Fighting!!” both parents said.

 

Baekho drove to the hotel that the prom was being held at. He arrived to the ballroom early in hopes of finding Aron before his encounter with Ren.

 

“Aron!” Baekho waved to his buddy.

 

“Baekho, you ready to get yourself a boyfriend?” Aron replied with a sly grin.

 

“Of course, that’s if he says yes.” Baekho replied.

 

“Don’t worry he will, now off you go and good luck” Aron smiled and gave his friend a push towards the dance floor.

 

“I’ll see you in a few” Baekho said before being lost in the midst of a sea of students.

 

Baekho made his way to the middle of the dance floor waiting for his princess to arrive. Ren arrived just on time to meet his prince charming after a bit of shoving and being shoved. He made his way to the middle of the dance floor, only to stop in his tracks when he saw Baekho standing there waiting for someone with a wide grin in his direction.

 

“Baekho….. are you my…..” Ren stuttered and looked a bit pale.

 

“Yes Ren, I am. I’m the one that’s been sending you the letters, flowers, and even gifts to show my love for you. “ Baekho said with a brilliant smile.

 

“But why me, I’m a nobody. You could have anyone you’d like, why pick me?” Ren said a bit flustered.

 

“Because you aren’t like the others, you’re different. You don’t want extravagancies, all you want is someone to love and be happy with.” Baekho replied with a smile.

 

“Baekho I’m happy that you like me but I come with a lot of baggage” Ren said shyly.

 

“I know and I don’t care. I just want you Ren.” Baekho said with a glowing smile.

 

“Baekho…” Ren said going silent.

 

“Care to have this dance with me princess” Baekho said with a bow.

 

“The pleasure is all mine kind sir” Ren said with a curtsy.

 

Taking each other hands and encircling each other’s body, they began to dance as if they were the only ones on the dance floor. While dancing Baekho whisper in Ren’s ear “be my boyfriend”.

 

“I’d love to be your boyfriend.” Ren replied happily feeling like it was a dream.

 

They both danced the night away until the music was stopped indicating an announcement.

 

“It is my honor to announce our prom king and queen. I’m sure all of you already know whom that will be our prom king. Our prom king is Kang Baekho. Come up stage to receive your crown.” The MC said with great enthusiasm.

 

Before announcing the prom queen someone that looked to be of the prom committee whispered something in the MC’s ear as he just nodding and took the mic again.

 

“I’ve been notified that our prom queen couldn’t make here tonight, so queen will go to Baekho’s date. Please come up stage and accept your crown.” The MC said in a bright tone.

 

Ren made his way up to the stage as all eyes fell on him like it had been when passing the halls at school. Baekho reached a hand out to Ren and pulled him up to the stage where Ren received his crown and stood next to Baekho.

 

“I now pronounce our Junior prom king and queen of 2013.” The MC announced in a loud voice as some of their classmates stared with disgust while others applauded the two.

.

When the night ended Baekho told Ren to come meet his parents. They pulled up to Baekho’s house. Baekho opened Ren’s door and they both walked up to the front door where they both entered.

 

“Mom, Dad I’m home” Baekho called out into the quiet house.

 

“Welcome home sweetie” Baekho’s mother said happily.

 

“Where’s dad?” Baekho asked.

 

“In the kitchen, he’ll be out shortly. Let’s move to the living room.”

Baekho’s mother said ushering the two boys into the living room as his father entered the living room.

 

“Mom, Dad I’d like you to meet Ren, my boyfriend” Baekho said with vigor.

 

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Kang it’s nice to meet you” Ren said with a deep bow.

 

“The pleasure is all ours dear but please call me Mom” Baekho’s mother replied with a smile.

 

“And me, dad you’re practically family seeing as the way Baekho seems so attached to you” Baekho’s father said.

 

“MOM, DAD. Don’t embarrass me now!” Baekho said flustered.

 

“Oh hush child, that’s what parents are for; plus it gives me a chance to learn about Ren.” Baekho’s mother said with a stern tone.

 

Ren spent the remainder of the night talking to Baekho’s parents. They shared embracing stories and pictures that brought a simile to Ren’s face but highly redden Baekho’s face. Ren decided to stay the night at Baekho’s as it was getting very late to travel. Ren approached Baekho’s room after a shower and saw his boyfriend staring out the window.

 

“Baekho what’s wrong?” Ren said kneeling on the ground resting his head in Baekho’s lap.

 

“Nothing’s wrong, I’m just happy that I finally can call you mine. Thanks for choosing me babe.” Baekho said with a flushing smile.

 

“ No Baekho, thank you for choosing me. You could have had anyone you wanted and yet you picked me. For that I’m always grateful. I’ll always love you Baekho.” Ren said with tears falling from his eyes.

 

“I’ll always love you too Ren” Baekho said embracing his boyfriend, his princess finally.

 

After finally calming down Ren, the both climbed into bed and fell fast asleep with similes on their faces in each other’s arms. In the end Ren really did get his fairy tale ending.

 

The end