Final

What would you do without me?

"I'm hungry."

Youngjae knits his brows and huffs, because that's the seventeeth time Daehyun has said those words today. Not that Youngjae's been counting, but it's almost midday, so that seems about right.

"How long are you going to persist with that?"

"Until I get some food."

The boy sighs as he leans his head back in frustration. He's a patient person really, but Jung Daehyun always has an uncanny ability to get on his nerves. This time is the last straw.

"Can I not finish watching this in peace? I just fed you a few hours ago!"

A little taken aback, Daehyun stares at the fuming Youngjae with wide eyes. It's not often that Youngjae has anger attacks, but if agitated enough all hell literally breaks loose. He nods quietly and turns his attention back to the television, pretending to be focused on the tiny characters going about their lives on the screen. Seeing as Daehyun has finally shut up, Youngjae breathes a sigh of relief and absorbs himself once again in his favourite programme.

10 minutes of bliss.

Youngjae has always loved being in his room, with his back against the bed while simply relaxing with a nice, interesting documentary to keep him entertained. Being with a certain someone was always very, very draining, and he really needed these recharge sessions to keep him going.

He's completely and utterly taken in by the scene that's currently playing, leaning forward as he watches a doctor explain the procedure he's about to perform. It's just getting to the good part when suddenly from his right, a low voice breaks his concentration. Youngjae narrows his eyes in annoyance at the two words he hears.

"I'm hungry."

-------

How did he get stuck with Daehyun anyways? Oh right, how could he forget?

Youngjae had never been a social person, even from the beginning of kindergarten he was the quiet type who didn't like talking to people. He liked being on his own and being independent, not because he looked down on everyone, but because he achieved more that way. While everyone else was running around outside and playing games, Yoo Youngjae would be by himself studying out of a textbook or challenging himself with math problems.

The life he led was peaceful, satisfying and not missing any of the things normal korean boys needed. He had two loving parents, an older brother who wasn't interested in bullying him, and the freedom to do what he liked. His family wasn't the richest, but they lived well and had a nice house in a nice neighbourhood. Life was good, Youngjae had concluded from a very young age, and all he needed to do then was focus on his future.

Although his lack of friends was largely due to him not wanting to socialise with anyone else, you could probably also say that he just didn't like people in general, his family being the only exception. People didn't work like he expected, they didn't follow logic like math problems, they were spontaneous, and required spontaneous responses. Being with them or keeping them interested took alot of effort, and it was too much outside of Youngjae's comfort zone for him to even bother. Besides, from the perspective of a kid way past his years, kindergarteners just seemed too stupid to connect with on an intellectual level.

So Yoo Youngjae went through life with no friends, but that wasn't exactly a bad thing.

Then Jung Daehyun came along. And everything turned upside down.

He was in third grade of primary school then, top the school in all of his subjects, and still had not spoken a word to any of his fellow students. They all either knew him as "the nerd" or "the weirdo", Youngjae didn't have to worry about having to interact with over enthusiastic classmates because they didn't like him anyway.

He's flicking through the pages of his science book when the teacher walks in with a strange, sandy haired boy sporting a bright red backpack and a freshly ironed uniform.

The class grows quiet at the sudden intrusion of a stranger, and Youngjae, being observant as he is, can already see how out of place the kid seems. The teacher nudges the boy towards the front of the class, "introduce yourself."

He looks back at the teacher for reassurance, before turning back to face the class with a nervous grin.

"Hi everyone," the boy says, "I'm Jung Daehyun, I just came from Busan."

The introduction is short, but as soon as it's finished, the class is already talking quietly amongst themselves. Youngjae's curiosity has been slightly pricked, because he hasn't heard anyone speak with such a heavy accent before.

"There's a free seat over there if you would like to sit down," the teacher says as she points towards an empty desk at the back next to Youngjae. Daehyun nods before tugging at the bag straps and walking quickly down the classroom.

The kid gives him a bright smile before putting his bag on the ground and sitting down on his chair.

"What's your name?" He asks, his thick busan accent almost making him incomprehensible.

Youngjae merely looks at him as if he didn't speak at all, and glances back down at his book. He hadn't spoken to anyone in school before, and he isn't intending to, he'd rather the kid didn't like him than know his name.

The kid's smile falters when he doesn't get a response, but it's just as bright after a few seconds when he sees the nametag attached to Youngjae's bag.

"So it's Youngjae right?"

No answer.

"Okay then..." the boy finally stops smiling and turns his attention to the teacher, Youngjae almost breathes out in relief.

The rest of the day is relatively uneventful, everything that's being taught has already been self studied by Youngjae in his spare time. He simply spends his time finishing off the text book that he's been reading for the past few days, uncomfortably aware but still ignorant of the Busan boy's stare from his side.

The lunch time bell rings at 12:00 and most of the class gets up in excitement, rushing into their respective cliches and groups. The classroom slowly fades into silence as the children go outside to play their games.

Once they're gone, Youngjae reaches into his bag, carefully gets out his lunch and places it on the table. A lunchbox with rice and side dishes, as well as a small bun with red bean paste inside it. Holding his book up on the table with his left hand, he grips his chopsticks with his right, and starts to eat while continuing to read.

He stops midway through his sentence when he hears a small scuffling sound somewhere in the class room.

Head turning to the right, Youngjae almost jumps in surprise when he sees the Busan boy staring at him like a starving hyena.

He was not expecting for the kid to still be in the room, nor the predatorial gaze Daehyun has on his face as he eyes the small bread on Youngjae's desk. The kid is practically drooling, biting on his bottom lip while clutching at his stomach, to be honest, he looks sort of sad. 

Never in his life has Youngjae seen a pitiful hyena, but if he had to choose, Daehyun looked like one now.

In an attempt to get rid of the unnerving feeling of the boy looking at his food, Youngjae picks the bun up off his table and hesitantly reaches over to hand it Daehyun.

The boy's eyes widen, he looks at the bread, then looks up at Youngjae, down at the bread again, then back at Youngjae.

"This is... for me?" He asks unbelievingly.

Youngjae nods.

"Thank you," Daehyun says as he accepts the offer and takes a hold of the soft bun.

A few moments later, Youngjae is staring with his mouth agape at the sight of the boy wolfing down his newly aquired morsel of food. It's gone in a matter of seconds save for a few crumbs scattered on the table. The boy his lips and smiles when he's done and turns to Youngjae.

"That was great. Thanks."

He can only dip his head in acknowledge, and turns back to his book with a grimace as he waits for Daehyun to leave. But he never hears the scraping of a chair across the ground or any footsteps, and when he turns towards the source of the distracting stare boring into his back he finds the boy still sitting in his seat.

This time the boy is looking intently at Youngjae's lunchbox, obviously still extremely hungry and even more pitiful than before.

Youngjae sighs as he picks it up and hands it over to the kid along with his chopsticks, "you can have the rest."

His voice comes out a little funny, because he hasn't spoken to anyone for a long time. Luckily, Daehyun doesn't seem to notice, because he's more focused on the food in front of him. Youngjae waits as he shakily reaches over to take the box, eyes lighting up.

Watching someone eat is a fascinating thing, and Youngjae can't help but stare as his rice and side dishes disappear quickly into Daehyun's mouth, his chopsticks moving vigorously as the boy scrapes at a few last grains of rice.

Are his parents starving him or something?

When he's finished, Daehyun places the box on the table and breathes out, rubbing at his stomach. He turns to see Youngjae's unapproving expression and shyly wipes at his mouth.

"Sorry for eating all your food," he says quietly, handing Youngjae's lunchbox and chopsticks back, "I left my lunch at home today."

"No its fine," Youngjae manages to say, glad that the boy finally has no more reason to stay inside the classroom anymore. He packs everything up neatly and puts it back in his bag, and looks at his book again to read.

He can't focus though.

The kid still has not budged from the desk beside him.

---

Youngjae sighs as he opens up his pantry, finding it empty as always save for a few cloves of garlic. Jung Daehyun is like the love child of a bottomless pit and a vacuum cleaner.

He glances over at the boy, who's sitting at the kitchen counter expectantly, his arms draped over the countertop and his chin resting on his arms. 

"You'll have to bear with an empty stomach for now," Youngjae says as he closes the door pantry door.

"Eh? Why?" Daehyun immediately perks up.

"I've run out of food fatass," Youngjae retorts, "why else?"

Daehyun pouts as he sits up and rubs his eyes, "let's go out and eat."

"Go by yourself, I have no money to buy you another feast."

"But it isn't fun by myself..."

Oh, had he also mentioned that Daehyun whined alot?

"Fine fine," Daehyun says he stands up and looks at Youngjae, "then let's go hang out somewhere."

As long as it isn't about food, Youngjae's fine with it, "sure, where?"

---

They ended up getting something food related again. Youngjae scowls as he sits beside Daehyun on the park bench, listening to him hum cheerfully while sipping the milkshake that Youngjae had paid for.

"You should get a job," Youngjae says.

"Mmhmm..." Daehyun is totally not listening.

He narrows his eyes and grabs the cup from Daehyuns hands, putting the straw in his mouth to take a large sip.

"Hey!"

"I paid for this, I should get some too."

The older boy crosses his arms and huffs, sitting with a frown. But before long he's slowly curling the corner of his lips up into an evil smile. He raises an eyebrow suggestively as he looks at Youngjae.

"That's an indirect kiss you know," he says quietly.

Chocolate milk sprays everywhere as Youngjae chokes on his drink, coughing when some of it enters his nose. Daehyun slyly reaches over and slides the drink out of his hands before patting Youngjae on the back.

"You bastard," Youngjae gags a little as he tries to get the remaining milkshake out of his lungs, "I hate you."

"Love you too Jae," Daehyun teases as he lifts the straw to his lips with a grin, giving it a small shake and pouting as he does so, "aish, you wasted so much."

---

If it was three things that really made Youngjae agitated, at third place would be waiting in line, especially long ones because they wasted his time. Being stuck in small spaces would be number two, Youngjae suffered slightly from claustropobia, and had ever since he was a kid.

And at the very top of the list, without a doubt, for the past 9 years, would be Jung Daehyun. 

He was stupid, an idiot, and totally and utterly the most annoying thing that had ever had the opportunity of entering Youngjae's life.

Daehyun wasn't smart, atleast not in the academic sense, he wasn't good at math, his english pronounciation , and he'd slept through every single history lesson that he had ever been in. Youngjae just didn't get how the boy still managed to pass most of his exams, barely making it into the same highshool as himself.

And he was always devouring food like there was no tomorrow, Youngjae could never understand how Daehyun could eat so much and not seem to gain any weight at all. He had a slim, perfect figure that most guys - and probably most girls - would kill for. It would be lying to say that Youngjae didn't envy him, he was chubby even with how much less he ate, and he'd gotten hell for it every time there was a family gathering.

If he were to actually sit down and do some calculations on how much he'd spent on the boy, he'd probably get a heart attack and die. Most of the food he bought would be for Daehyun alone, and atleast two hours of his time everyday was used up simply preparing meals. 

The boy was like some sort of food monster.

Definitely not human.

And also a jerk.

---

They're at Youngjae's house one afternoon after having being lectured by the teacher about future career options. Daehyun leans over the kitchen counter as he waits for Youngjae's to prepare a platter of vegetables, "What do you plan on doing in the future?"

"I don't know, what normal people do I guess," Youngjae pauses in what he's doing, "I'll get a good job and a nice house and..."

"A wife and kids?" Daehyun asks with a smile.

Thoughtful, Youngjae looks up for a moment before giving Daehyun his answer.

"Maybe, I haven't really thought about it before."

"I can't really imagine you with a girlfriend though," the older boy chuckles as reaches over for a piece of carrot.

"Says the guy who's in a commited love affair with cheesecake."

"Hey well," Daehyun chews on his carrot piece, "I've had a girlfriend before, don't you remember?"

Youngjae scoffs in response, "but she dumped you after a week didn't she?"

"At least I've dated... you haven't yet."

The younger boy the older boy an angry glare, pulling the plate of vegetables further behind the counter out of Daehyun's grabby hands, " guess you aren't hungry then are you?"

"Okay okay," Daehyun panics a little, "I was just kidding."

Youngjae reluctantly slides the food back towards Daehyun, who takes it eagerly.

"But in all seriousness though," Youngjae leans in towards the other boy, "what are you planning to do in the future?"

"Me?" Daehyun looks up with another piece of carrot in hand, "I want to live in a big house with Youngjae making cheesecake for me everyday."

Youngjae twitches in annoyance and narrows his eyes while Daehyun flashes him another one of his bright smiles.

"I think you could be a cook," Daehyun continues, "or a chef. If you opened up a restaurant I'd definitely come over everyday for dinner."

"Thats all very flattering," Youngjae watches as Daehyun enters his fantasy of a Youngjae run restaurant, "but you already mooch off me for dinner every evening as it is."


---

It was in the second year of highschool when Daehyun had his first girlfriend. Youngjae remembers being excited about the prospect of Jung Daehyun finally being taken out of his hands. He can't quite remember her name, only that she was pretty and sat at one of the desks at the front of the class. He still ended up being quite surprised when he came home to find Daehyun sitting at the counter.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be on a date with your girlfriend?"

Daehyun rests his head on the counter, "she dumped me."

Youngjae raises an eyebrow, "why?"

"She said I don't hang out with her enough," Daehyun says in a deflated voice.

"Well duh, you're always here when you should be with her."

"But I like it here though," the older boy tries to defend himself, "she also can't cook."

"You aren't supposed to be treating your girlfriends like housewives," Youngjae sighs, "why couldn't you have been romantic and cooked for her instead?"

Daehyun looks up and gives him a pout, before resting his head back on the table.

"I don't like girls anyway," he says, "they're high maintenance."

"You're one to talk."

Rubbing his stomach, Daehyun sighs and closes his eyes, "make me something to eat, I'm hungy."

---

How they had become "friends" was still not entirely clear to Youngjae. After feeding Daehyun one red bean paste bun, he had been sure the kid would leave him alone. But everyday at lunchtime, Daehyun would find some way to mooch off half his lunch, because he never seemed to have any food of his own.

Youngjae would happily have gone on with his life without interference, being alone and idependent. Sadly, that was not to be. because Daehyun had discovered that they lived in the same direction as each other, and insisted on walking home with him.

"You walk home this way too?"

Youngjae doesn't stop walking at the sound of the familiar voice behind him, instead, he moves even faster.

Please please leave me alone....

Too late, the sound of footsteps are already echoing behind him. He grumbles as the red backpack bearing boy bounces up beside him.

"Where do you live?"

Somehow, they had ended up walking home together everyday. Youngjae didn't really pay any attention to Daehyun, the boy was content with simply strolling beside him while babbling on about his day.

But what the most was probably the fact that with the road they took, they'd passed Youngjae's house first instead of Daehyun's. In all honesty, Youngjae would rather that Daehyun never found out where he lived because only a week after their "friendship" took off Daehyun was popping up at his front door every morning so that they could walk to school together. A month after that and the boy was already inviting himself over to his house.

Youngjae's parents loved him of course, who wouldn't like a cheerful, bubbly countryboy? Daehyun was allowed to come over to annoy him whenever he wanted, and Youngjae just couldn't convince his mother otherwise.

---

"There's no meat," Daehyun mumbles as he looks down at the box in front of him.

"Don't you dare complain to me," Youngjae snaps, "you were the one who ate all the leftovers I was going to use for lunch today."

The two glare at each other, each trying to make the other lose and look away.

"I swear," Himchan says at he looks at the pair, breaking the silence, "you guys argue just like a married couple."

Youngjae freezes and glares at the commentor, "WHAT?!"

Daehyun lets out a small giggle before recieving a flick to the forehead, "ouch!"

"we are NOT like a married couple," Youngjae says in a low voice as he stares at the people around the table, he points a finger at the sandy haired boy sitting next to him, "I HATE this guy."

"Well you know..." Himchan continues, ignoring Youngjae's death look, "most loving housewives do prepare lunches for their husbands..."

"Shut up jackass."

---

Of course, with his happy and bright personality, the rest of the school welcomed Daehyun with open arms. In the first three days of school he was on friendly terms with the entire class, another couple of weeks later nearly the whole school knew him by name. He played soccer with them and hung out with them. Youngjae was certain that Daehyun would cast him away for his new friends, to be honest he was actually sort of hoping for it.

But Daehyun, being Daehyun would not give up his only source of food and dragged Youngjae around with him.The list of people he had to sit with grew as the weeks passed. 

However, it wasn't until he had started sneaking an extra bun into his bag each mornng, or quietly tucking a few more pieces of meat underneath his rice for the boy, that he realized they were somehow more than aquaintances.

The realization was really more of a sad event rather than a revelation.

---

"Can I ask you a question?" Daehyun asks.

"You just did," Youngjae says while placing a plate on the table.

"Well can I ask you another one?"

"You just did. And just get to the point already, I'm a busy person," Youngjae snaps.

"Ok," Daehyun purses his lips as he leans forward on his elbows, "I've just been curious about something."

"What?"

Daehyun pauses a little, then looks up, "What would you do without me?"

"If you weren't here I'd be 10 times richer with a fancy car by now," Youngjae says in the blink of any eye.

Daehyun pouts, "really? Am I really just a nuisance to you?"

"I'm surprised you even have to ask," Youngjae replies, feeling slightly awkward, "... yes you are."

"Huh... guess I should have known..." Daehyun's voice is quiet.

Youngjae sighs as he sits down, "are you in need of a confidence boost or something? Why are you asking this anyway?"

"Nothing," Daehyun says immediately and smiles again, picking up his fork, "just a little curious."

Youngjae raises his eyebrows at the boy, "You're weird."

---

In fifth grade, Youngjae's mother was promoted from being a part time worker to a full time at the store she was employed at. It meant that the family was better off financially, but it also meant that she had leave for work early in the morning. Youngjae's brother was studying in a boarding school and didn't live home anymore. So Youngjae had to make his own breakfast and lunch, which of course, meant that he had to make Daehyun's too.

Satisfying the hungry boy was a very difficult thing to do, he'd always complain if the rice was too dry, or if the meat was slightly burnt, or if the vegetables tasted funny. Not like he wouldn't stuff his face anyway, but it annoyed Youngjae to no end. Youngjae thinks that was probably how he became so good at cooking.

In the second year of highschool, Youngjae's parents had finally saved up enough for their dream trip around the world. They would have used it for Youngjae's college fees if Youngjae hadn't convinced them otherwise. He'd told them that he would be fine by himself, and wanted them to enjoy themselves after working hard for him and his brother.

By then his older brother had graduated, gotten a job and a girlfriend, and moved into an apartment with her. Occasionally he'd drop by for a cup of tea, or invite Youngjae and Daehyun out for a meal. But mostly the house was left empty save for Youngjae.

No sooner had Youngjae announced that he was living by himself in the house, that Daehyun had started staying over for dinner.

That meant cooking three meals a day for two people,setting the table for two people, and buying enough food for two people.. actually it was more like food for three or four people, or mayble even five. 

Because Daehyun was well... Daehyun.

---

"My parents don't want me staying in the house anymore," Daehyun says sadly as he sits at the counter one day.

"But they can't kick you out, they're your parents," Youngaje replies, "why do they want to kick you out anyway?"

The boy sighs as he rests a chin on his arm, "probably because I've been alive for 18 years and still amounted to nothing."

I guess I can understand that, Youngjae thinks.

"They're sending me to America next month."

Youngjae freezes.

"What?"

"America," Daehyun repeats, "they're making me go to America so I can study abroad."

"...for how long?" Youngjae finally manages to stutter out once he's gotten over the shock.

"I don't know," Daehyun replies.

The two of them grow quiet, eating the rest of dinner in with a thick blanket of silence hanging between them.

He can't seem to find it in himself to pick up his chopsticks, and Daehyun isn't eating at full pace either, he watches the boy prod absentmindedly at the few pieces of beef on his plate. 

"It's good right?" The older boy clears his throat after a while, smiling, "I won't be imposing on you anymore."

"Yeah, it's great," Youngjae says quietly.

There's no teasing or funny questions tonight, unlike the usual table conversations they have. Before he knows it, Youngjae is already ushering Daehyun out of the door.

Daehyun lets himself be pushed through the doorway and after putting his shoes on, turns around to look at Youngjae. The younger boy looks down awkwardly, but when he glances back up, the sandy haired boy is grinning at him.

"We've got a month right?" Daehyun says cheerfully, "let's make the most of it."

---

Youngjae puts down his pen and rubs his tired eyes. He can't seem to focus on studying at the moment. His desk lamp is dimming, he'll need to buy another lightbulb.

But it's late, maybe he should just call it a day?

Sighing and leaning back, he runs a hand through his messy hair.

America?

It all seemed so strange to think about Daehyun moving to America to study, the idea itself was ridiculous.

First of all, Daehyun's english was terrible, the only words he knew were "hello" and "cheesecake", and he'd also failed his entrance english test - twice. How on earth was he going to survive in America - an english speaking country, of all places?

And he'd be there alone too, in his own apartment Youngjae assumed, meaning that the boy would have to buy his groceries and prepare his own food. Jung Daehyun could not cook if his life depended on it, Youngjae had confirmed this multiple times throughout the years. He'd tried teaching Daehyun how to bake once but given up when Daehyun lost his patience and attempted to eat the cake mixture.

Youngjae shakes his head as he tries to get thoughts of the boy out of his mind. Why does he care? Daehyun is finally going to be out of his life. He won't be there contantly eating his food, annoying him, or disturbing his study time anymore...

"I'm free," Youngjae says aloud, the words feeling a little strange coming from his mouth.

"I'm finally free..."

---

They don't bring the subject anymore after that. Daehyun appears to be totally unaffected by it, as if he's forgotten already. Youngjae even thinks it might be a joke but doesn't say anything or ask.

As his pantry begins to empty itself a again and again, he's starting to think that it will be good for him not to have to deal with Daehyun anymore. Youngjae hasn't known a life without the boy for 9 years, but he's looking forward to it.

He tells himself that he just has to wait for the end of the month to come...

"You appear to have outdone yourself," Daehyun remarks after a bite of meat.

Youngjae snaps out of his trance and looks across the table at the boy.

"What?"

Daehyun sighs, "I said the food is very nice."

"Oh..." Youngjae looks down at his own plate, "thank you."

He picks his chopsticks up a little hesitantly, trying not to think about how this will be their last dinner together for the indefinite future. There's a silent agreement between the two that they'll just treat this like any other ordinary evening. But Youngjae can't help but wonder how Daehyun can smile as if everything's completely fine.

Daehyun's plate is empty again, he lifts it up and waves it around with a grin, "seconds please."

As always, Youngjae reaches over the table and takes a hold of it, standing up as he does so. He piles on a little more rice and meat than usual and hands it back, Daehyun his lips and accepts it.

Youngjae smiles as he watches the boy eat like he always does, wolfing it down like he's been starved for weeks. When he's done, he smacks the plate roughly back on the table and lets out a sigh of contentment.

"Let's watch a movie," Daehyun says after the food has settled.

Youngjae lets Daehyun choose out of his collection of cd's and they sit next to eachother on the couch in the living room to watch it. It's a children's movie that they've watched a few times already throughout the years, but Daehyun seems to really like it, pointing at the screen during the exciting scenes like he normally does. Even though it's really boring, Youngjae doesn't complain this time, he just sits quietly beside his friend while listening to his commentary on the characters.

"Hey Youngjae," Daehyun says softly as he shakes Youngjae awake, "the movie's over."

Youngjae opens his eyes and lifts his head up from Daehyun's shoulder, he'd fallen asleep again, even though he hadn't wanted to.

"What's the time?" He asks sleepily while rubbing his eyes.

"Almost 11," the older boy replies, "I should get going now."

"Oh..."

He doesn't want to get up, because Daehyun is warm. But eventually he forces himself off the couch to let Daehyun leave.

---

"Guess this is it then," Daehyun smiles as he stands on the doorstep, "it's been fun."

Youngjae smiles as well, "yeah it has."

They stand in silence for a little while, listening to the wind whistle it's way through the trees. Daehyun takes a deep breath while looking up at the moon, Youngjae stares down at the gap between the toes of their shoes.

When he looks up again, Daehyun is looking him in the eyes, not really smiling, but not really frowning either.

"Goodbye," he says gently.

"Goodbye."

Just like that, Youngjae is looking at Daehyun's figure walking down his driveway towards the road.

When Daehyun reaches the end of the driveway, Youngjae still hasn't closed his front door yet.

Suddenly Daehyun turns around, and Youngjae finds their eyes meeting again. The sandy haired boy grins and waves back at him with both hands, Youngjae is slightly taken aback, but manages to return with a smile of his own.

After that the older boy stuffs his hands in his pockets and looks away. Youngjae watches as the darkness swallows him up so that he isn't visible anymore.

He stands at the door for a long time, waiting.

---

The night got cold, and his limbs had almost frozen off before he finally pried his fingers off the doorknob and closed his front door. The sound of his footsteps echoing around the empty hallway sounds strange to him, even though he's heard it plenty of times.

He goes immediately to his room, shuts the door, and flops onto his bed. Why is he suddenly so tired?

His eyes glance over to the side of the room, coming to rest on a worn out plastic chair.

Daehyun used to sit there all every afternoon and annoy Youngjae while he sat at his desk to study.

Youngjae wonders if he'll have to throw it away.

Before he can decide, a buzzing sound fills the room, and Youngjae picks his phone off the desk.

He flips it open and puts it to his ear without checking to see who it is.

"Hello?"

Silence.

"Youngjae?"

He freezes at the familiar voice.

"Youngjae?" Daehyun speaks up again.

"Yes?"

There's a pause on the otherside, as if the person if thinking about what to say.

"My phone's almost out of battery..." Daehyun says finally, "...so I just thought I'd call you one last time."

Youngjae breathes out, "Is that all?"

"Yeah."

Youngjae opens his mouth, but he has nothing to say. What is there to say anyway? He's about to press the hang up button on his phone when Daehyun pipes up again.

"Oh and Youngjae?"

"Hm?"

"Thanks... for everything."

He doesn't know how to reply, so Youngjae hangs up.

---

He can't sleep.

The sound of the clock ticking is too loud.

The moon is too bright.

The cars outside are too noisy.

He can't get Jung Daehyun out of his head.

The prospect of a life without him is odd, and Youngjae can't imagine it. He's afraid, because as much as he hated to admit it, Daehyun had always been there with him.

When Youngjae had come second place one year for the exam, he'd been devastated, and Daehyun had been there to cheer him up.

"Well that guy looks like a fish," Daehyun says in reference to the boy who came first, "so it doesn't count."

That had made Youngjae laugh, despite how horribly lame the joke was.

Daehyun had been there when Youngjae cried for the first time in many years.

In fourth grade, some sixth graders had decided it would be fun to capture the brain of the school and lock him in the janitors closet. They never came back to release him, and Youngjae had broken down in tears because he was afraid of being stuck inside forever. But Daehyun had found him, and held him tightly in his arms until he felt better.

The boy even went so far as to chase up those sixth graders to "teach them a lesson." Youngjae was against it, but when Daehyun returned with a black eye, bruises, and a cut lip, he simply gave Youngjae another of his lopsided grins, and then Youngjae couldn't really blame him for trying.

"You should have been there!" The boy shouts while making fake punching motions in the air, "I totally knocked them out!"

Youngjae chuckles a little at the memory while looking up at the ceiling, but then his smile disappears and he sighs, sitting up to turn the bedside light on, he won't be able to sleep anyway. 

He'll just have to pass the time until Daehyun's plane takes off. After that he'll be fine.

The future is important now, he should get to planning his schedule in his new Daehyun free life.

He gets out of bed and makes a beeline for the wall above his desk. The calender on the wall is already covered in red circles and crosses, but Youngjae is going to have to tear the front page down anyway. The month is over already.

There are only a few red circles on the page beneath the first, and Youngjae skims his eyes across them.

June 25:
Go to the supermarket and buy ingredients.

June 26:
Go to the butcher's for beef.

June 27:
Bake cheesecake.

June 28:
Daehyun's birthday!

Youngjae freezes at the last day with a red circle marked around it. He stares at it for a while, as if trying to decipher it's meaning.

Those dates are all void now, he doesn't have to worry about them anymore, but...

"Goddamnit," he curses as he rushes to grab his phone from the desk, hurriedly dialling a well memorized number, "pick up pick up..."

"Sorry, this number is currently unavailable, please try again later."

---

Somehow, he'd managed to make it the airport in one piece, after several taxi switches and trips on the concrete because of his shoes not being on properly. A car had almost run him over too.

Youngjae looks in dismay at the crowds inside the large building.

There are people everywhere.

Children screaming while mothers nag and try to force them to behave. Father's patting their jacket pockets for passports. Teenage girls chattering away on their cellphones.

But no Daehyun.

He doesn't know which way to go, the place is too big. Youngjae wants to slap himself for not asking which gate Daehyun would be going through earlier, now he'll have to guess which direction he has to look.

After ten minutes of scanning the crowds and finding nothing, Youngjae is about to give up. Daehyun's probably gone through his gate already and is ready to board.

His plane is going to take off.

And then Youngjae will never see him again.

"Where are you?"

He's just about to abandon all hope and turn around when he sees a flash of sandy coloured hair. His eyes skim around, trying to find him.

There he is, the boy wearing the bright red jacket and black jeans, tugging a brown leather suitcase behind him. Panicking, Youngjae rushes forward, but is pushed back by the seething crowds.

Daehyun's a few dozen metres ahead and already disappearing into the swarm of people.

"Jung Daehyun you bastard!" Youngjae shouts at the top of his lungs.

The boy freezes in his tracks, Youngjae continues.

"You steal all my food and money, waste my time and effort..." he's rants, yelling what ever first comes to his mind.

Already, the people in the airport are starting to stare. But Youngjae doesn't care.

"...you make fun of me, tease me, mock me...and now you're just going to leave me here?!"

When he's finished, Youngjae stands with his fist clenched, shaking as if in anger. The sandy haired boy turns around slowly and Youngjae sees his lips curl up in a smile.

Before he knows what's happening, Daehyun's made his way through the crowds standing in front of him and looking at him.

Youngjae stares back with a frown.

He's surprised when Daehyun suddenly laughs and moves closer, wrapping his arms around Youngjae and holding him in a tight embrace, "I was waiting for you to tell me to stay."

Youngjae's feels his throat constrict as the warmth surrounds around his body, tears starting to well up in his eyes. With a shaky breath, he reaches out and hugs Daehyun back.

"I hate you," he says.

"Love you too Jae," Daehyun says in a tender voice, reaching a hand up and curling his fingers into his hair. Youngjae shudders and shuffles a little closer.

Youngjae doesn't know how long they stand there for. Literally the entire airport is looking at them now, some of them whispering amongst themselves as they point at the two teenage boys, but neither of them could care less. As the younger boy's breaths steady, he relaxes into the other's hold.

"You're horrible."

The older boy chuckles as he lets Youngjae rest his head on his shoulder, "I know."

Clenching his eyes shut, Youngjae's fingers clutch just a little tighter onto the fabric of Daehyun's shirt. Because he's sure now, sure about something he's never been certain of until now.

Daehyun needs him.

And he needs Daehyun.






----
Finally finished! Sorry for the long wait and cheesiness, this was really hard to write. Apologies if you were expecting more, but I'm thinking of writing this again in Daehyun's POV.
Let me know what you guys think?